Question for those who have visited La Sagrada Familia

HeidiHo

I want to visit La Sagrada Familia while we are in Barcelona before our cruise. I have checked the website about how to dress and all it says it guests are expected to "dress with decorum." Does this mean no bare shoulders or shorts like many of the other cathedrals around Europe. All of the shore excursions we have booked for the cruise itself say no bare shoulders or shorts when visiting cathedrals. It might be hot when we are there. I will most likely wear something to cover my shoulders but was really wondering about shorts. Most of my short are bermuda type and come almost to the knees. Can I wear these or should I play it safe and wear long pants or capri's? Same goes for my husband. His shorts are longer too but should he just went long pants?

I want to visit La Sagrada Familia while we are in Barcelona before our cruise. I have checked the website about how to dress and all it says it guests are expected to "dress with decorum." Does this mean no bare shoulders or shorts like many of the other cathedrals around Europe. All of the shore excursions we have booked for the cruise itself say no bare shoulders or shorts when visiting cathedrals. It might be hot when we are there. I will most likely wear something to cover my shoulders but was really wondering about shorts. Most of my short are bermuda type and come almost to the knees. Can I wear these or should I play it safe and wear long pants or capri's? Same goes for my husband. His shorts are longer too but should he just went long pants?

No shorts. Capri's should be fine. Long pants for the hubby.

We were there last June. We were in shorts, and at least half the visitors were, too.

A couple ahead of us wearing shorts was not allowed entry to Sagrada last year. Very strange - same thing as at the churches in Italy. I've seen many people in shorts get turned away at the Vatican but have also seen a few in shorts manage to sneak through. But the rules in the Catholic churches in Spain are much more relaxed than in Italy. I did not notice anyone in shorts during my most recent visit to Sagrada Familia but I was there later in the year - September, in fact (still a warm day, but not hot).

Edited by dogs4fun

I thought it was odd that the company that I booked our shore excursions through for our cruise were very specific about proper dress if visiting cathedrals in Italy. They specifically said, "No bare shoulders or shorts." So even though we are not booking through them for Barcelona since that is our departure port and we will do Barcelona on our own, I still went to their website and checked to see what they had to say about their shore excursions that visit La Sagrada Familia and there is nothing in there about how to dress. And, like I said in my original post, even the website where you buy the tickets for la Sagrada Familia just says, "Dress with decorum." That is kind of gray. It could mean different things to different people. I think we will just play it safe, no shorts and hopefully it won't be too hot. It will be mid May. I could always plan our visit in the morning so that it might not be that hot and if it is hot we could always go back to the hotel later and change.

Respect in cathedrals usually tends towards covered shoulders and knees. The humid heat might mean jeans just being too heavy so lighter cotton pants would be better.

I found that a light cotton sun dress over the knees as well as take along some sort of scarf or shawl to cover shoulders. They usually do not wish to see men in shorts either.

Nuns are the ones usually guarding the respectful nature of their cathedrals...chapels or churches and they do not play:p

That scarf or shawl may be great to put over head if women have to cover heads too.

I went back to the website for buying tickets to La Sagrada Familia and found more info. There was another page that I didn't see before and on that page it said no Tshirts or tops that expose the chest or back. Nothing about shoulders but we will have ours covered. It does specifically say pants should be long or at least cover the knees. There is noting about women needing to cover their heads but but it DOES say men should NOT cover their heads so should I be prepared to cover my head? Thanks for all the input.

Gone are the days of women having to cover their heads in churches, but if you know 'sobre' clothes are expected, surely it is easy to wear what is needed. I really don't understand all the debate. As a female, you wear long trousers or a long skirt, with, perhaps a T Shirt with sleeves that come to the elbow. I find skirts are much cooler in a hot, humid climate like Barcelona in the summer than trousers. I am sure tourists don't venture into St Patrick's Cathedral on 5th Avenue disrespectfully dressed, so why do it in a foreign country.

When we were in Barcelona last year there was somebody at the cathedral checking on the dress code.

Gone are the days of women having to cover their heads in churches, but if you know 'sobre' clothes are expected, surely it is easy to wear what is needed. I really don't understand all the debate. As a female, you wear long trousers or a long skirt, with, perhaps a T Shirt with sleeves that come to the elbow. I find skirts are much cooler in a hot, humid climate like Barcelona in the summer than trousers. I am sure tourists don't venture into St Patrick's Cathedral on 5th Avenue disrespectfully dressed, so why do it in a foreign country.

When we were in Barcelona last year there was somebody at the cathedral checking on the dress code.

The Catholic church has not required women to cover their heads in at least 30 years. Short or cap sleeves are fine. Capri pants are fine. Sun dresses with a wrap for the shoulders are fine. However, there is a fine line. Whatever you are wearing should not be skin-tight or see-through or plunging neck lines. That is the "decorum"part of it. That goes for men too. No "wife beaters" or cut-off jeans or t-shirts.

Maybe when some people have gone in in shorts and others not, the first was wearing long bermuda shorts and the second was wearing short, skin-tight shorts. Just don't look like a slob going to a beach bar.