BOGO for 3&4th guests a bad deal for families?

Folks.

I had priced a cruise for 1/2016 before they added the 3&4th guest 50% off promo this month. I priced it again, same dates, same itinerary, same room type. Because of offer, I'm getting quotes almost $400 more (when I look at summary of charges). It appears they are "forcing" both of my kids as adult guests and then taking 50% off those for the promo (which is $200 more each than kids' pricing). Is there a way for them to quote them as kids and not use the "promo"? TIA.

Folks.

I had priced a cruise for 1/2016 before they added the 3&4th guest 50% off promo this month. I priced it again, same dates, same itinerary, same room type. Because of offer, I'm getting quotes almost $400 more (when I look at summary of charges). It appears they are "forcing" both of my kids as adult guests and then taking 50% off those for the promo (which is $200 more each than kids' pricing). Is there a way for them to quote them as kids and not use the "promo"? TIA.

There is no "kids" pricing on Royal. It sounds like the price has gone up since you last looked.

There is no "kids" pricing on Royal. It sounds like the price has gone up since you last looked.

Interesting. I wonder why they ask number of kids in your party before they give the quote if they don't have kids pricing? :shrug:

Out of sheer curiosity, I just priced a DCL (since I'm Gold twith them) for a comparable room, same date, similar ship class.....$6800 out of the gate. Christ they really went off the rail with pricing. I'm glad I was able to cruise all those times when their prices were a bit more competitive

Edited by coldflame

Out of sheer curiosity, I just priced a DCL (since I'm Gold twith them) for a comparable room, same date, similar ship class.....$6800 out of the gate. Christ they really went off the rail with pricing. I'm glad I was able to cruise all those times when their prices were a bit more competitive

Royal's pricing has been crazy for about a year now.

Royal's pricing has been crazy for about a year now.

I think RCCL is just figuring out to hedge all the cost of the new ships (RCCL is pumping out new ships every 2-3 years) and "amortize" it into their pricing. But they are still reasonable/negotiable, IMO. DCL has no excuse since their ship fleet is set at 4, at the moment, and the ships are about 12 years apart. If $4000 is RCCL crazy I'll take it over DCL $6800.

This is so true.... What the heck ....I was looking to book a March cruise (2015) - we booked with Royal and saved over $2500 for same dates/ similar type ship and then we looked again for next year. ( 2016). OMG..Its at least $3500 more then Royal right now. 7 Disney cruises for us and you said it exactly right... Glad we cruised with them when we did, as we will not pay that price.

To the poster...As for Royal, yes, I booked a cruise for next March, back in the first week of March and since the 3rd and 4th person 50% came out, the price has increased $400.

Book when you see a price you like. Not when a sale drops as I am learning a sale really means nothing!!

Edited by son3cruisers

$7527.00 for an Inside room for 2 adults/2 teens on Disney Fantasy for

March 12 / 7 night caribbean sailing. ( no Magic/ Wonder Caribbean sailings listed at this time)

$2750 for an OCEANVIEW room for 2adults/2teens on Vision of the sea (yes...older smaller ship....)

March 12 / 7 night Caribbean sailing .

Seriously? Almost $5000 more then Royal??? I get that one ship is newer, bigger and probably has more activities for kids... But honestly, some of us cruise for the PORTS!!! Not the ship.

Yes, the Disney Fantasy is probably more comparable to the Freedom class ships, but wow.... That's an insane difference.

The ports on this Royal sailing are all new to us, and that's why we chose Vision. Disneys Caribbean sailings seem to visit the same ports every year.

So sad to say goodbye to Disney.....

Edited by son3cruisers

March 12 / 7 night caribbean sailing. ( no Magic/ Wonder Caribbean sailings listed at this time)

$2750 for an OCEANVIEW room for 2adults/2teens on Vision of the sea (yes...older smaller ship....)

Seriously? Almost $5000 more then Royal??? I get that one ship is newer, bigger and probably has more activities for kids... But honestly, some of us cruise for the PORTS!!! Not the ship.

Yes, the Disney Fantasy is probably more comparable to the Freedom class ships, but wow.... That's an insane difference.

The ports on this Royal sailing are all new to us, and that's why we chose Vision. Disneys Caribbean sailings seem to visit the same ports every year.

IT'S INSANE! It's so insane they even some of their most staunch fans are jumping ship (almost literally) to different cruise lines. Some of the summer 2016 itineraries for EU cruises are so out of whack with reality you could use that money as down payment for a new house.

One of the reasons they ask for ages of children is because they do not allow children under 18 to be in a room without an adult. Now, that's not to say you can't switch the rooms around once you get on board. :)

I would think someone might notice if you moving the rooms around. First of all, it would block the hallway while you are doing it and second of all, someone is bound to notice that the room numbers are no longer in sequence.

As much as it pains me to say it, NCL is running the only good deal for families right now. We just booked a week on escape in 2016 and a week in getaway in 2017 in a balcony room for $2500 which includes kids stay free and a free premium drink package for adults and free coke package for kids.

Kids are looking forward to the water slides which they've been deprived of from on RCI. The free drink package sealed it for mom and dad.

Edited by Beachcampin

One of the reasons they ask for ages of children is because they do not allow children under 18 to be in a room without an adult. Now, that's not to say you can't switch the rooms around once you get on board. :)

another reason is kids' clubs., when max capacity for the clubs is reached they actually will not let you book a cabin, even if there is room or max lifeboat capacity has not yet been reached.

Depressing, yes, but I'm not sure I'd go all the way to insane. The lines will raise prices to the highest they can to fill the ships. If the DCL ships are still sailing full, it's hard to call their pricing insane. DCL has the upscale family market cornered, just like their shore-side sibling parks do - love to see your comparison of Disney hotel pricing :eek:

In much the same way as I won't be booking a private jet, we've all just got to find the ways to cruise that best fit our budget and lifestyle. For me to date, that has been Royal, but I may be priced out of loyalty soon.

I would think someone might notice if you moving the rooms around. First of all, it would block the hallway while you are doing it and second of all, someone is bound to notice that the room numbers are no longer in sequence.

Ha! :p

another reason is kids' clubs., when max capacity for the clubs is reached they actually will not let you book a cabin, even if there is room or max lifeboat capacity has not yet been reached.

Agreed.

Bob, that's surprising to me and I'd have sworn that I paid a lower fare for my son under 12, but looking back at the invoices, it was a third passenger rate and not a child's rate. :confused:

As much as it pains me to say it, NCL is running the only good deal for families right now. We just booked a week on escape in 2016 and a week in getaway in 2017 in a balcony room for $2500 which includes kids stay free and a free premium drink package for adults and free coke package for kids.

Kids are looking forward to the water slides which they've been deprived of from on RCI. The free drink package sealed it for mom and dad.

I just checked NCL...for our dates next March, they are $500 more then Royal. The week before our sail date is significantly lower...but we are stuck to our dates.

How did you book 2017? Those dates are not listed that I can see....

I just checked NCL...for our dates next March, they are $500 more then Royal. The week before our sail date is significantly lower...but we are stuck to our dates.

On NCL there are some 2017 dates up to March. I've got an NCL booking for January 2017.

Royal Caribbean also is showing 26 cruises in March 2017.

The March 2017 rates may not be as competitive as they are only offering 3 and 4 half off, however they are still offering free drink packages which is a big value for us given the new bar pricing. Our kids are homeschooled so that gives us more flexibility to avoid spring break time usually.

Our cruise in 2017 is the last getaway cruise listed in April. $2500 balcony kids sail free and free drink packages.

Agree about the crazy DCL pricing. It's a $2800 difference between Allure and Fantasy with inside staterooms, similar itinerary, same week. I'm just glad that RCL is being competitive with DCL and providing tons of kids stuff including DreamWorks characters and shows.

As for pricing, RCL seems to play with their numbers. Sometimes 3rd and 4th guest are half off but guest 1and 2 are more. It seems to be their marketing gimic. These numbers will even change daily and not necessarily proportional. Still, RCL us much more affordable.

There has been a lot of disgruntlement about the prices. Often many accuse RCCL of "ripping them off." I am 63. I went to college in 1969. Back then we took "economics" as a matter of course. What they taught us was products are priced to what the market will bear. That's why the prices are up. Royal Caribbean will price their product to whatever the consumer will pay. Whatever business you are in likely does the same thing. If you sell "widgets," and people will pay $100 per "widget," why would you sell them for $50? You wouldn't. The economy is doing very well. Prices are up, profits are up, employment is up, pay is up. So people are spending. If Royal Caribbean can get $1500 per person for a cabin, and 2 years ago they could only get $800 for the same cabin, same week, they aren't "ripping you off," they are "maximizing profits." That's what businesses do. If you don't like it, go on another cruise or don't cruise at all. Enough people stop going, prices will come down. But I'm not seeing any drop in passengers on my cruises. They are all full.

Don't get me wrong, I wish I could get a Crown Loft for $1000, but not likely. I don't thing anyone is ripping me off. It's just the price of a cruise when the economy is good.

The March 2017 rates may not be as competitive as they are only offering 3 and 4 half off, however they are still offering free drink packages which is a big value for us given the new bar pricing. Our kids are homeschooled so that gives us more flexibility to avoid spring break time usually.

Our cruise in 2017 is the last getaway cruise listed in April. $2500 balcony kids sail free and free drink packages.

The problem I have is the Norwegian Spirit out of Port Canaveral (drive able from my home) doesn't have ANY balcony or suites that fit 4 people. None.

There has been a lot of disgruntlement about the prices. Often many accuse RCCL of "ripping them off." I am 63. I went to college in 1969. Back then we took "economics" as a matter of course. What they taught us was products are priced to what the market will bear. That's why the prices are up. Royal Caribbean will price their product to whatever the consumer will pay. Whatever business you are in likely does the same thing. If you sell "widgets," and people will pay $100 per "widget," why would you sell them for $50? You wouldn't. The economy is doing very well. Prices are up, profits are up, employment is up, pay is up. So people are spending. If Royal Caribbean can get $1500 per person for a cabin, and 2 years ago they could only get $800 for the same cabin, same week, they aren't "ripping you off," they are "maximizing profits." That's what businesses do. If you don't like it, go on another cruise or don't cruise at all. Enough people stop going, prices will come down. But I'm not seeing any drop in passengers on my cruises. They are all full.

Don't get me wrong, I wish I could get a Crown Loft for $1000, but not likely. I don't thing anyone is ripping me off. It's just the price of a cruise when the economy is good.

Yes that ^

A more eloquently stated expression of what I was getting at.

Like increases in other areas (housing, gas), market price fluctuations can sting, change the way we look at the products, or even price us out of the market entirely. I do feel strongly that the best companies, cruise lines or otherwise, are those that don't leave you feeling ripped off, no matter the premium you paid.

For example, I have felt ripped off by a value meal burger before, but I've also paid well over $300 for a meal and only wished for room for another course.

Rates did go up, we booked in January for an August Cruise and I wanted to see if I could do the BOGO on the drink package and they said they would have to rebook my cruise and it would be 800.00 more plus I would lose my onboard credit.