Caribbean Cruise - Princess vs Holland America

JPH814

I am considering a 10/11 day southern Caribbean cruise in January 2016. Debating between a Holland America (Oosterdam) or the Princess Royal Princess. Granted, this is a Princess board, but I would still like some opinions as to the relative strengths of Princess vs. HAL for this cruise.

I am a long-time Princess cruiser but I have also cruised on Holland America. But I'm sorry to say, I have seen a gradual decline in Princess' quality lately, both service and cuisine. And I was particularly disappointed in Royal Princess. If I was to book today I would book on Oosterdam.

I am a long-time Princess cruiser but I have also cruised on Holland America. But I'm sorry to say, I have seen a gradual decline in Princess' quality lately, both service and cuisine. And I was particularly disappointed in Royal Princess. If I was to book today I would book on Oosterdam.

The only problem with that scenario is that we'd have to start at the bottom of the benefits program and for us it would never make sense. We'd have to give up to much that's taken us years to achieve.

After having done Princess 10-night Caribbean itineraries for years, I find the HAL 10/11 night itineraries more interesting. Those longer Caribbean itineraries attract an older passenger demographic, but in the case on HAL, it is seriously older. Lots of mobility devices in the corridors.

If night life is a consideration, definitely go with Princess. If you've never been to any of the ports, you won't realize that Princess hasn't changed up those itineraries for years. I did appreciate our late night in Curacao on the Noordam, and wish Princess would do more of that sort of thing.

I think that HAL pools and hot tubs, especially the covered pool, top what is on the Royal Princess. I love HAL buffets and the opportunity to get 8 different juices including fresh squeezed OJ at no extra charge, and fresh made eggs Benedict 10 ways and breakfast crepes in the morning. But the buffet on the Royal Princess is the best Princess offers, so it offers many things most other Princess ships don't. The coffee on HAL is definitely better than on Princess!!

As for loyalty perks...we started from the beginning on HAL after being Elite on Princess for years. i would never let lack of benefits prevent me from trying something different.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

After having done Princess 10-night Caribbean itineraries for years, I find the HAL 10/11 night itineraries more interesting. Those longer Caribbean itineraries attract an older passenger demographic, but in the case on HAL, it is seriously older. Lots of mobility devices in the corridors.

If night life is a consideration, definitely go with Princess. If you've never been to any of the ports, you won't realize that Princess hasn't changed up those itineraries for years. I did appreciate our late night in Curacao on the Noordam, and wish Princess would do more of that sort of thing.

I think that HAL pools and hot tubs, especially the covered pool, top what is on the Royal Princess. I love HAL buffets and the opportunity to get 8 different juices including fresh squeezed OJ at no extra charge, and fresh made eggs Benedict 10 ways and breakfast crepes in the morning. But the buffet on the Royal Princess is the best Princess offers, so it offers many things most other Princess ships don't. The coffee on HAL is definitely better than on Princess!!

As for loyalty perks...we started from the beginning on HAL after being Elite on Princess for years. i would never let lack of benefits prevent me from trying something different.

I agree.........HAL has better beds, shampoo/conditioner and generally bigger cabins. Princess has more entertainment and livelier onboard. Half Moon Cay is so much nicer then Princess Cay.

The Hydro Pool Spa is great on Osterdam, but the roomer deck space and pools on Princess is much better. It all depends on what you are looking for. Do one this year and the other next! lol

Edited by Cayoooga

I agree.........HAL has better beds, shampoo/conditioner and generally bigger cabins. Princess has more entertainment and livelier onboard. Half Moon Cay is so much nicer then Princess Cay.
I agree with you on HMC. It's much, much better than Princess Cays. I'm a 3-star Mariner on HAL so I've sailed quite a bit with them... and hated the beds. I bring a huge bottle of IB because it's guaranteed I'll get a sciatica attack from the lack of support on the HAL beds. For me, the Princess pillowtop beds are much better.

HAL cabins are designed with a larger sleeping area but wardrobe closets in the entry hallway. You can't open the bathroom door and the wardrobe at the same time. HAL desks have a make-up mirror but very little storage. Just a couple of very narrow shelves on the side. Princess cabins have a large open closet area which doubles as a dressing area. Overall, Princess cabins have much more storage.

I absolutely love the aft cabins on deck 5 on the Oosterdam and her sister ships. They are large with a huge covered balcony. I have taken a cruise on the Oosterdam just because I could book one of those cabins. :)

In general, I cruise HAL for the itinerary. Two of my three top cruises were on HAL.

Edited by Pam in CA

Princess is an overall better fix for us but have also been on 10 - 14 day cruises on HAL.

Entertainment: Much better on Princess ... especially the bar/lounge entertainment which is important to us.

Beds: The pillow top mattresses on Princess are fine for us but HAL has very comfy soft beds.

Cabins: On HAL we are happy with a regular verandah cabin but on Princess for about the same thing we book a mini-suite. Closet space is better lots better in the Princess mini-suites.

Food: About the same in the MDR. Specialty restaurants are good on both.

The buffets have much longer operating hours than HAL. Other options like the IC (International Café), grill, pizza, etc. are very good on Princess.

HAL has MUCH better room service.

Crew & Service: Good on both.

LuLu

For me I probably wouldn't consider another HAL cruise until I'm in my sixties. There was nothing wrong at all with our cruise but I felt very out of place because of the age differential.

Last two Princess cruises still had an average age higher than myself but much closer so that I didn't feel out of place.

Princess ships carry 50 to 100% more passengers, have more kids and owing to this large number your chances of running into problem MUCH greater. Lots pool games and crowds To me bigger is not better.

Holland has smaller more relaxed passengers, and fewer kids, a more well mannered group as a whole, More for entertain your self types nice entertainment but not the big production number and late night go-go

Better food options and some of the largest cabins.....like inside cabins 250sq ft...

As cruise ships go they range is from economy-mass market, next is mid mass market and final superior mass market Then we go to Luxury

Princess is a mid range tier Holland is on the next level above on the Superior tier.

I like both. I'd go with price and itinerary. We miss our Princess benefits when we sail on Holland America, but we eventually will get to be 4* Mariners if we're lucky.

HAL's entertainment for production shows is generally not as good, but they have had some terrific guest entertainers--types of acts that Princess doesn't book such as a comedy piano duo and a classical cellist.