Is the balcony really worth it?

ASchaff

well it depends. Out of 4 we've had 2 balconies now and I think they're pretty great. Like others have said it's a great place to sit and relax and have your own little space. Sometimes in the evening I just like to look over the rail and watch the wake go by...it's sort of hypnotizing. Sometimes we get breakfast room service and sit and watch the port come in on port days. or not. Sometimes, if you're lucky your balcony is on the port side and it's a nice place to watch them come and go.

If you can afford, and you're going to be in your room for more than 4 nights, I'd say go for it. It's just one more awesome thing that you'll always remember.

For $500 I could live without it. $100 pp/pd is an average balcony rate (not great, not bad). I think $65pp, pd for an interior is kind of steep, so while it's a reasonable upgrade, if you don't think you will use it too much, keep what you have. For the two of you is that balcony worth $75 +/- per day to sit on? That pays for a lot of other stuff on a cruise.

We booked at the $429 pp past guest early saver rate, and then had to pay the addition $30pp for the standard interior vs the upper/lower. The lowest we have seen this cruise is $399pp rate which comes to the $419 pp, and that was for deck 1-2, so we would lose our room on deck 10 for a few bucks per day. I've done the mock booking over and over with every price change and variation but no luck on a lower rate. lol. I haven't seen a lower 7 day rate out of PC since we started looking either, so while I hope it drops, I am happy with the rate. Can't beat 1,314 total for a week long vacation(prepaid gratuities). I'm also super cheap on cruises, and would come off without having any money on my sign and sail if I can manage. lol

I have had OV, Porthole, and balcony. While I loved the balcony, to be honest, we would go out on it, take a look, take some pictures, then we would head up on deck. When we would come in to get ready for supper, we would do the same. We never really sat on it for any length of time, so for us, we don't mind paying less for OV. We are actually going to try an interior and see how we like that, and then use the "savings" for excursions. We may hate the interior, may love it, but only one way to find out. Bottom line for us, we enjoyed the balcony, just felt we did not use it to justify the cost.

I agree with this poster. We paid $400 extra to have a balcony on our Freedom cruise vs the interior we had originally booked. We spent all of an hour on it for the whole cruise. I wish I'd have just kept the extra $400.

Then on our Sensation cruise, we were offered an upgrade for $200 to go from an inside to an obstructed view suite. Not worth the extra money since we didn't use the balcony there either. Portholes are our favorite or oceanviews for the natural light. Balcony just don't worth the extra $ for me.

We won't cruise without it. We take breaks during the day, so we enjoy having that little slice of paradise. [emoji23].

Nothing better than coffee on the balcony first thing in the morning. Or some wine before dinner or bed.

Also nice to prop the door open while going to bed and hearing the ocean.

All of the same reasons and a few more! In port views,inviting and visiting with friends or other guest. Taking pics and videos. Just adds a whole a new demension!!!

I love the balcony - in a robe, in the morning drinking coffee, in the evening watching the sun set, at night gazing at stars. The fresh air in your cabin is delightful - I'm sorry but I would never book a hotel room without a window and a cruise without at minimum a window would never work for me.

Love, Love, Love the balcony....beautiful sunrises while drinking that first cup of coffee every morning (room service ;))....a glass of wine before dinner as you wait for hubby to finish getting ready (or whomever you are with), then a glass together....sunset as you pull away from port...a quiet moment just relaxing....your own deck space with no chair hogs :eek:.....Love, Love, Love it!!!!

Love, Love, Love the balcony....beautiful sunrises while drinking that first cup of coffee every morning (room service ;))....a glass of wine before dinner as you wait for hubby to finish getting ready (or whomever you are with), then a glass together....sunset as you pull away from port...a quiet moment just relaxing....your own deck space with no chair hogs :eek:.....Love, Love, Love it!!!!

Rarely am I awake for the sunrise, and I HATE wine...lol. I have actually never had an issue finding a deck chair on any of our cruises. Of course, we don't spend a ton of time around the pool. I get too much sun on the port days as it is, so rarely will you find me up on deck or out in the sun on a day at sea.

I justify it by just Dh &I, but going with whole family I want to use that $$$ towards them yes it's nice but not worth it if you want to do a bunch of excursions save your $$$ for a couples cruise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Forums mobile app

We strictly used to get interior rooms . After a few cruises we upgraded to Oceanview. Was able to have a balcony for almost nothing , it was amazing yet the cruise we went on the weather wasn't very warm so balcony wasn't used alot . We have booked a cruise this time and was able to upgrade our Oceanview to an aft balcony for an extra $40 ( not per day/ per person just flat $40) . I'm very excited about this. I don't think it's a make or break of a cruise though . We normally don't spend alot of time in our room as it is but when the price is right and it's almost free (or worth a bottle of wine on the ship haha) I'll take it in a heart beat

We always budget for the balcony and really enjoy the ability to sit out in the early mornings quietly enjoying sunrises, after returning from port activities enjoying a little room service snack (and drink), and later in the evening sitting quietly enjoying the darkness and the quiet.

Going on the Breeze in August, and I did take the plunge and go for a balcony for DH and I. We are going to the Southern Caribbean and will have three sea days the most that we have had.

I thought with the three sea days we would use the balcony more than we would have as the other cruises were port intensive and we were more out of our cabin than in.

My plan is to sleep in late, try room service or go to bed late while enjoying a glass of wine on the balcony, on the back to back sea days.

August cannot get here fast enough!

Right now we are paying a $459 pp rate(including the "upgrades") for an inside interior cabin on deck 10. The balcony cost is currently $689 pp, and they have one "large balcony"(aft, L shaped cabin next to the stairs) available. So it will be 98pp/pd vs 65pp/pd.

It's the Western Caribbean, 7 day with 2 sea days.

For us, that would be absolutely worth it. A 7 day cruise is plenty of time to enjoy a balcony, especially a large balcony!

I don't think we'd sail without one. My wife says she wouldn't care if we had an inside room to save some money, but I get anxiety when the seas get rough and it calms the nerves to pop outside for a quick moment or two and watch the weather / seas.

I also love to sit out there when leaving port and watch the islands disappear.

With that being said, I could certainly pop up to the lido deck etc within a few moments and do all the above, but it certainly my is a convenience having a door a couple feet away at all times :)

I have been on inside, ocean view and balcony, and for me it depends on the cruise. Alaska? Definitely a balcony. Anything tropical I would be ok with an ocean view if it was much cheaper. I will no longer do an inside.

I found balconies in tropical climates often too hot to enjoy. Even in the evening. That said, I booked another aft balcony for my next cruise. For a couple of hundred $, it is worth it to me. But ocean view would have been fine too.

My standard answer is "it depends". Our last 2 cruises were Junior Suite on deck 9 and then an inside on deck 1. Our next two cruises will be inside and an oceanview.

At $460 for 7 nights which is about $66 per night for 2 people, I will go for it to enjoy the additional space.

Enjoy!

Help talk me into/out of it. I am so torn right now. I don't know if I really want one or not. I cannot decide if it is worth it. UGH

Here is my rather well known thread from right here ( cabin selection tips) ..this will not only give you reasons why balconies are wonderful by myself, but read what OTHERS have to say just the first 2-3 pages will give you an idea...in a sentence- a balcony completely changes your perspective on a cruise & totally IMO enhances the cruise experience..what's the point of being at sea, if you can't experience the sea? Check this out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947393

Good luck & get a balcony..if you don't like it ( not likely), you can always get a window or inside cabin next time you cruise...be careful where you are on the ship- always book a cabin that has NO public areas above nor below..check here & I'll give you some expert advice- I've been a agent for 18 years & am doing my 31st cruise next week..what ship are you considering?

Big Al

Only live once and can't take the money with you! I'm not in my room often but when I am it definitely gets used. Just book the balcony and enjoy. How far out are you looking?

I mostly travel solo, so, for me, the cost would be prohibitive. However, if it were a cruise, say, to Alaska or thru the Panama Canal, where sitting on the balcony you could see something, then I would go for the balcony. Not worth it to me to just sit out there and see water. Another good time to have a balcony would be if you were to go to Bermuda and the ship is your hotel for two or three days then the balcony would be fantastic. Just my opinion. Every one has their reasons.

Here is my rather well known thread from right here ( cabin selection tips) ..this will not only give you reasons why balconies are wonderful by myself, but read what OTHERS have to say just the first 2-3 pages will give you an idea...in a sentence- a balcony completely changes your perspective on a cruise & totally IMO enhances the cruise experience..what's the point of being at sea, if you can't experience the sea? Check this out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947393

Good luck & get a balcony..if you don't like it ( not likely), you can always get a window or inside cabin next time you cruise...be careful where you are on the ship- always book a cabin that has NO public areas above nor below..check here & I'll give you some expert advice- I've been a agent for 18 years & am doing my 31st cruise next week..what ship are you considering?

Big Al

I've had balconies in the past, and I really didn't use it. We decided against it. It isn't worth the money to us. We are gonna stick with our interior.

We are booked on the Valor for Halloween 2015.

Tried a non balcony cabin once...NEVER, EVER again! The LEAST we'll book is a balcony....generally a JS or mini-suite....

I don't like being cramped...and I don't want to feel like I'm camping. I want space and most ship cabins don't give you much space. A balcony adds to the usable sq. footage!