Formal Night and Specialty Restaurants?

I was just curious to see if we have to dress up for formal night on RC Brilliance if we go to a specialty restaurant instead of main dining on that night? We'd prefer to stay more business casual type if we have the option, but don't want to be the derelicts of the ship!

You will see people in smart casual and suits both in specialty restaurants and the MDR on formal night. What ever you choose you will be just fine. I have dressed in Suits and smart casual to go to specialty restaurants on formal night and never felt uncomfortable about it. Some like to were the suits because of the formal pictures they may want.

I was just curious to see if we have to dress up for formal night on RC Brilliance if we go to a specialty restaurant instead of main dining on that night? We'd prefer to stay more business casual type if we have the option, but don't want to be the derelicts of the ship!

"Business casual" is fine for the MDR or the specialty restaurants. Formal dress in the MDR is only a suggestion and while many will be dressed up, many will be in business casual.

90% of the diners in a Specialty on formal night book because they refuse to dress up for the MDR.

True...We always book a specialty restaurant at least for one of the formal nights...

We are D+ and just don't want to be bothered with formal nights anymore...we've learned to pack lite and efficient.

So we stay away from the MDR...

True...We always book a specialty restaurant at least for one of the formal nights...

We are D+ and just don't want to be bothered with formal nights anymore...we've learned to pack lite and efficient.

So we stay away from the MDR...

Which, according to many, isn't really necessary. If you wish to dine in the main dining room on a formal night, formal attire is not required and you will not look out of place if you choose to forego that style of dress. If the menu on formal night has special appeal, no one should let the "suggested dress code" prevent them from enjoying the meal

Edited by negc

Honestly we enjoy the formal nights, however, our dress wouldn't be considered formal and we have always felt appropriately dressed. My husband wears a dark suit and I wear a black skirt/ blouse, or cocktail dress. We have seen men in tuxedos and ladies in long sequined gowns and furs. I say if you think you might like to eat something on the menu that night then go. Dress how you are comfortable and enjoy.

Which, according to many, isn't really necessary. If you wish to dine in the main dining room on a formal night, formal attire is not required and you will not look out of place if you choose to forego that style of dress. If the menu on formal night has special appeal, no one should let the "suggested dress code" prevent them from enjoying the meal

Agreed, having said that on formal night I will at least wear a sports jacket. Having said that I hold no offense to any one who dresss smart, jacket or not. To b- 52, I don't know what difference being D+ means when it comes to dress suggestion. As far as I am aware the suggested dress on each night for everyone on the ship.

90% of the time we go to specialty restaurants on formal night as well. I would say business casual is how we dress when we go. ive even worn some really nice jeans/button down/ loafers a few times to test the water lol

i have also seen wrangler jeans and t shirts in there as well (on my last cruise last month actually), didn't bother me one bit.

but im sure others on this forum would have lost there appetites because the guy wasn't in a tux and ruined there experience, haha

Well at the end of the day, you wear what you're comfortable in.

As long as they have formal nights it's okay.

If you want to wear jeans and trainers, that's your look out.

We love the pomp and splendour of the formal nights.

but it's not everyones cup of tea.

Some of us embrace tradition, you obviously don't.

that's your choice. but they shouldn't take it away from people that do want them.

I HATE formal attire and have hated it since I was a small child and had to sit and act like a lady since I was forced to wear dresses. I don't buy any dresses to wear so I don't want to be forced to wear formal attire on vacation. My husband feels the same way and only has one suit with a sport jacket which we has worn the last 15 years to any wedding and funerals. We don't want to have to be told to dress up to eat anywhere. But I do respect that others like to dress up and feel that people should have the right to do that if they wish. I just wished it would not be forced on those that do not want to do it. I do wear jeans to the MDR for dinner but not any with holes or faded. They look nice and I wear a nice blouse. We usually go on NCL so we don't have to dress up. Next month we have our first cruise on RCL. I hope we will be able to enjoy freestyle dress on RCL at dinner as well so we will feel comfortable. It is vacation so I think people should be able to dress how they wish, not that it means wearing a bathing suit to dinner or something trashy.

I agree with you, but a formal night is an event, not something people are forced into.

its only the same as a Caribbean night or a fancy dress night.

You are not forced into it, it's just lovely being a part of it.

and I can't figure out why people put on full formal dress and then go back and change after.

A lot of effort for nothing lol.

Stitch (loving formal nights)

Short answer is no.

The longer answer is that you don't have to dress up for formal night, no matter where you go to dinner. But you will see lots of dressed up people in the MDR, and likely some, but not too many, in the specialty restaurants. The specialties are always listed as "smart casual."

Some cruises do not allow you to wear jeans on formal nights. I was on one in 2009. If anyone didn't want to dress up, they could go to the buffet but not the dining room. I didn't like that since I was paying to be on the cruise same as everyone else. But things could have changed since then. I like to be comfortable.

Some cruises do not allow you to wear jeans on formal nights. I was on one in 2009. If anyone didn't want to dress up, they could go to the buffet but not the dining room. I didn't like that since I was paying to be on the cruise same as everyone else. But things could have changed since then. I like to be comfortable.

On RCI, circa 2015, jeans are allowed in MDR all evenings.

I do think it's a shame that it's erring on side of casual really.

that's when everything starts slipping.

next thing it'll be shorts and vests all over the place.

granted, a nice slinky pair of Jeans are extremely appealing.

but it's that whole "comfortable thing that" irritates me a bit.

where do you draw the line ?

I don't want to argue about it, but I think people should be allowed to be comfortable on their vacation. If some cruises want to enforce being formal, then I will just choose a different vacation or cruise line that allows me to be comfortable. That is fine with me. There are many choices out there. Just want to know ahead of time before I pay for it. I enjoy land vacations just as much

Edited by angeleyes27

That is fine. I don't mind that at all. As long as I can eat at the buffet or the MDR, it is okay for me. Just want to have a choice. I think most cruise lines are agreeable..and if there is one where it is mandatory, then I will go with one where it is not. No problem at all. I have never had a problem on Carnival or NCL or Princess. Different strokes for different folks. I dont mind anyone being formal as long as they leave us be happy. Some people enjoy that so I want them to be happy too.

i agree, no one should be comfortable on there vacation :confused:

damn right !!

I think you know what I mean. A cruise is meant to have a bit of class. If you want to dress like you're in benidorm, that's up to you.......but don't bring your lack of style on a beautiful classy ship.

Edited by Stitchman