Independence of the Seas 3/28-4/5

We will be on Indy this summer and was wondering if On-Air bar has a buy one get one offer for drinks? A few years ago on Freedom with my sister they ran a special for this and was wondering if Indy will also. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, been really busy the last couple days. Day 2 & 3 below, more to come later.

Day 2- At Sea: Before the cruise, I decided if I was going to have quite a few drinks and eat plenty of good food I would get up and hit the gym every morning. I eventually modified this to an afternoon workout, but did manage to go everyday except one. The alarm went off at 6am and I reluctantly drug myself upstairs. The fitness center on the Freedom Class ships is very nice. Lots of equipment, from free weights to cardio to machines. Spent an hour here then woke up the wife and went to breakfast in Windjammer. With one exception, we ate every breakfast and most lunches in the WJ and were pleased. We are not picky eaters at all and could always find something both healthy and otherwise. My wife went to morning trivia and I proceeded up to the Solarium where I scored a coveted front row poolside chair. Rotated between the hot tub, pool, and reading books on my Ipad all morning. Went back, changed, and headed to the Meet n Mingle up in Olive or Twist on Deck 14.

Meet n Mingle actually had quite a few people there. I sat with a nice couple from New York (sorry I’m really bad with names!) and enjoyed my time. The activities director came up and spoke then gave away prizes, answered a few questions, etc. Really nice guy, and even though I didn’t win anything, it was enjoyable. Spent most of the afternoon between the Solarium pool lounging, reading my book, and hanging out at the Champagne Bar (recurring theme here). My wife wasn’t feeling the greatest and I didn’t feel like putting on a tie so we decided to skip formal night and eat in the WJ. Again, nothing fancy, but suited us just fine and a very relaxed dinner was exactly what we were looking for. The show was switched to Once Upon a Time which we’ve seen before, so skipped the show, wandered the ship, got some drinks, and headed to bed around 11ish.

Day 3- At Sea: Day 3 was another sea day, and we did a lot of the same routine. Up at 6, hit the gym for an hour, then showered and headed up to WJ for breakfast. One other thing I enjoyed about having the Ultimate Package was the ability to get both bottled water and fresh OJ included. I would pick up a bottle of water on my way to the gym, and then have a glass of fresh OJ not the machine stuff. Living in Florida I’m fortunate to have true fresh OJ for several months out of the year, and while this stuff isn’t as good, it’s better than the concentrate stuff for sure. Anyways, after a long leisurely breakfast, it was back to the pool and some reading and sun for me. My wife went to some diamond/gemstone/shopping seminar (she loves the free stuff they give away for some reason), so left her to that. At some point that afternoon, we made our way up to WJ for lunch. I don’t know why, but I love the fries they serve in the WJ. So had a few of them along with my salad (great combo right?). Afternoon was a nap, followed by more hanging out on the Promenade. Got dressed for dinner, stopped off at the Crown & Anchor party, had a drink at the bar, got my wine and headed to dinner at 6. Went to the late show, which was the ventriloquist. Now, I really don’t enjoy these types of performers, but this guy was amazing! He was very funny, and was probably my favorite show of the week. Afterwards, we went and grabbed a seat in front of Vintages and watched the 70s party on the Promenade for awhile and then headed off to bed. Day 4 and beyond coming shortly!

We will be on Indy this summer and was wondering if On-Air bar has a buy one get one offer for drinks? A few years ago on Freedom with my sister they ran a special for this and was wondering if Indy will also. Thanks!

I posted a link to all the cruise compasses earlier that listed these. I believe a couple places had these specials throughout the week, but it was only a couple times and not every day.

I was on your cruise and agree with you about the ventriloquist being the best show. I also liked the ice show and the late night comedian. All of the production shows just seemed a little dull.

Sorry for the delay, been really busy the last couple days. Day 2 & 3 below, more to come later.

Day 2- At Sea: Before the cruise, I decided if I was going to have quite a few drinks and eat plenty of good food I would get up and hit the gym every morning. I eventually modified this to an afternoon workout, but did manage to go everyday except one. The alarm went off at 6am and I reluctantly drug myself upstairs. The fitness center on the Freedom Class ships is very nice. Lots of equipment, from free weights to cardio to machines. Spent an hour here then woke up the wife and went to breakfast in Windjammer. With one exception, we ate every breakfast and most lunches in the WJ and were pleased. We are not picky eaters at all and could always find something both healthy and otherwise. My wife went to morning trivia and I proceeded up to the Solarium where I scored a coveted front row poolside chair. Rotated between the hot tub, pool, and reading books on my Ipad all morning. Went back, changed, and headed to the Meet n Mingle up in Olive or Twist on Deck 14.

Meet n Mingle actually had quite a few people there. I sat with a nice couple from New York (sorry I’m really bad with names!) and enjoyed my time. The activities director came up and spoke then gave away prizes, answered a few questions, etc. Really nice guy, and even though I didn’t win anything, it was enjoyable. Spent most of the afternoon between the Solarium pool lounging, reading my book, and hanging out at the Champagne Bar (recurring theme here). My wife wasn’t feeling the greatest and I didn’t feel like putting on a tie so we decided to skip formal night and eat in the WJ. Again, nothing fancy, but suited us just fine and a very relaxed dinner was exactly what we were looking for. The show was switched to Once Upon a Time which we’ve seen before, so skipped the show, wandered the ship, got some drinks, and headed to bed around 11ish.

Day 3- At Sea: Day 3 was another sea day, and we did a lot of the same routine. Up at 6, hit the gym for an hour, then showered and headed up to WJ for breakfast. One other thing I enjoyed about having the Ultimate Package was the ability to get both bottled water and fresh OJ included. I would pick up a bottle of water on my way to the gym, and then have a glass of fresh OJ not the machine stuff. Living in Florida I’m fortunate to have true fresh OJ for several months out of the year, and while this stuff isn’t as good, it’s better than the concentrate stuff for sure. Anyways, after a long leisurely breakfast, it was back to the pool and some reading and sun for me. My wife went to some diamond/gemstone/shopping seminar (she loves the free stuff they give away for some reason), so left her to that. At some point that afternoon, we made our way up to WJ for lunch. I don’t know why, but I love the fries they serve in the WJ. So had a few of them along with my salad (great combo right?). Afternoon was a nap, followed by more hanging out on the Promenade. Got dressed for dinner, stopped off at the Crown & Anchor party, had a drink at the bar, got my wine and headed to dinner at 6. Went to the late show, which was the ventriloquist. Now, I really don’t enjoy these types of performers, but this guy was amazing! He was very funny, and was probably my favorite show of the week. Afterwards, we went and grabbed a seat in front of Vintages and watched the 70s party on the Promenade for awhile and then headed off to bed. Day 4 and beyond coming shortly!

Gordon Travis (Activity Manager) is very nice....sociable and pleasant. When we sailed on Indy, he was filling in for the Cruise Director who was at a convention at Royals home office/Miami. You had Ricky Matthews as your CD, and it should have been his last week....people cruising on Indy for the next 4 weeks should have Jamie Fentiman.

Ricky generally is a very good CD; lots of experience...had him a few years ago.

I posted a link to all the cruise compasses earlier that listed these. I believe a couple places had these specials throughout the week, but it was only a couple times and not every day.

Oops... :o thanks, must have missed it.

Gordon Travis (Activity Manager) is very nice....sociable and pleasant. When we sailed on Indy, he was filling in for the Cruise Director who was at a convention at Royals home office/Miami. You had Ricky Matthews as your CD, and it should have been his last week....people cruising on Indy for the next 4 weeks should have Jamie Fentiman.

Ricky generally is a very good CD; lots of experience...had him a few years ago.

Do we know who comes after Jamie? We are sailing on the 17th of May, and we have heard so many good things about Ricky!

Do we know who comes after Jamie? We are sailing on the 17th of May, and we have heard so many good things about Ricky!

Leigh Xuereb begins assignment to Indy on May 10, for a 4 month contract. He will be the permanent CD for a few cycles -- 4 months on and then 2 months of vacation and then returns to ship....unless of course Royal makes some change. But he is scheduled to be there on 5/10/15.

Day 3- At Sea: Afterwards, we went and grabbed a seat in front of Vintages and watched the 70s party on the Promenade for awhile and then headed off to bed. Day 4 and beyond coming shortly!

I'm interested in the 70s party. Do the passengers dress up in 70 styles and party or is it more of the crew dressing up?

Day 3- At Sea: Afterwards, we went and grabbed a seat in front of Vintages and watched the 70s party on the Promenade for awhile and then headed off to bed. Day 4 and beyond coming shortly!

I'm interested in the 70s party. Do the passengers dress up in 70 styles and party or is it more of the crew dressing up?

Some passengers definitely come prepared to be dressed appropriately for the party....it is up to the passenger.

Just the entertainment staff. I can't remember ever seeing any guests dressed in 70's garb.

Edited by clarea

Just wondering what the entertainment was on the ship? We board on April 25th.

The main theatre shows (Invitation to Dance and Once Upon a...) were really terrible. So dated, very cheesy...don't waste your time.

Hopefully there will be some good headliners instead though...plenty of other stuff to do!

Just the entertainment staff. I can't remember ever seeing any guests dressed in 70's garb.

You were not on our recent Valentine's Day sailing on Indy....we had quite a few who came prepared and did. Not all of them were in their 50's or 60's either.