Buffet Lines

Oakman58

That could have been me on the Jewel in March.

And no, it wasnt for me. It was for my 3 and 6 year old, who generally had to end up sitting in the adult section of the buffet while tables full of grownups with no kids (or once, a puking kid (scarily)) sat in the kids section. What else was I supposed to do? Let my 3 yo serve herself? Go to the adult lines for their food so I "look better?" As it was, I had to have my 6 yo watch her while I got their food, then watch her again while went and got mine, which usually consisted of a roll and pate, since there were no lines for those items (and the pate was delicious).

Yet another reason to stay in The Haven next time...

I think you did great. Way to care for those kids!!!!!

Exactly! However, it's not just the kids buffet. There was an expose on the today show a few weeks ago and the serving utensils at the food buffet had more germs on them than any other items tested on the ship.

http://www.today.com/money/cruise-ships-may-carry-unwelcome-passengers-germs-t12336

That doesn't surprise me. That's why I always say that to prevent illness, you should wash your hands again AFTER you serve yourself your food. Washing them before only protects you if everyone else has washed too, which I never trust.

Another reason why we rather not dine in the buffet - only ate twice there in 7 days. DW watched 2 sheepies going back to the buffet serving station with their dirty plates for refill, touching the spatula, scooping & stirring the steam tray, unchallenged as there're no crew members nearby & obviously ignored the posted signs (or, couldn't read ...) - yikes.

At the first sign of Norovirus, among the first measures taken by ship's management is to restrict & change protocols in the buffet ...

Edited by mking8288

Another reason why we rather not dine in the buffet - only ate twice there in 7 days. DW watched 2 sheepies going back to the buffet serving station with their dirty plates for refill, touching the spatula, scooping & stirring the steam tray, unchallenged as there're no crew members nearby & obviously ignored the posted signs (or, couldn't read ...) - yikes.

At the first sign of Norovirus, among the first measures taken by ship's management is to restrict & change protocols in the buffet ...

Same here...prefer the MDR although sometimes we do go to the buffet for lunch. And I also wash my hands after taking food but before eating, and many times I try to take foods I don't need to eat with my hands. Same goes for the MDR or any restaurant on land after touching the menu...menus have more germs on them than anything else in a restaurant including in the bathroom! Yikes!

It makes me sad to see that someone would take a picture of a man and post a picture of him on the internet making fun of him.....

I just don't get it. Poor guy, minding his own business, and someone takes a picture of him, and makes fun of him. He's probably a really nice guy ...... so I don't get it......

Poor guy. So what if he's getting food from the children's section. There is nothing saying he can't get food from there. He's not hurting anything or anyone.

And a picture of him gets posted, making fun of him..........

It makes me sad to see that someone would take a picture of a man and post a picture of him on the internet making fun of him.....

I just don't get it. Poor guy, minding his own business, and someone takes a picture of him, and makes fun of him. He's probably a really nice guy ...... so I don't get it......

Poor guy. So what if he's getting food from the children's section. There is nothing saying he can't get food from there. He's not hurting anything or anyone.

And a picture of him gets posted, making fun of him..........

I'm surprise the mods haven't taken down this thread yet since its been a more than week. The super short answer to the reason why making fun of this guy? Because they're nose-stuck-up-in-the air PITA douchecanoe jerks....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

Please help me understand (because I may be one of the "stupid" people in the giant line - yikes!) :o

How do you go to what you want unless you pass every dish? Don't the other passengers get annoyed because you "cut" in front of them?

Thankfully, my GF doesn't like buffets and we probably won't have this experience. However, in case I do, I appreciate the "tips". Thanks in advance. :D:D:D

At any buffet, salad bar, etc. I "check out" the entire thing without a plate to see what's available. A quick "walk through" and back. Knowing what's available allows me to just go to those items rather than piling stuff on the plate and then discovering something down the line I like.

An "excuse me" here and there works wonders if you need to squeeze through a line to get something.

Edited by TinCan782

Yeah, I don't think its illegal or anything because its a public place but you have to think about if you'd want a photo of yourself out on the internet. I don't post pics of friends or family without their permission. Regardless, he paid for this cruise, no matter if its for his grandkids or him, eat up I say! As for buffet etiquette, no sense in waiting for people who are putting together a business case on what they want to eat. Just simply ask or notify them you are moving in front if they have to stare at everything for awhile. That really irritates me. lol. Get your food and move on! It's a buffet, not a 5 star restaurant. I personally can't stand buffets for this reason of the spoon touching. No thanks! My wife makes the kids saturate their hands with hand sanitizer after visiting one and before eating. And I think its a smart idea.

You do not know the story behind this picture. I don't know who the gentleman in this picture is but could easily have been my dad on the Dawn during the same timeframe. My daughter has a life threatening latex allergy and was sitting in the kids area when another family brought balloon animals into the kids dinning area. She goes Into anaphylaxis from indirect and direct contact as well as airborne exposure to latex. What you don't see is mom and dad moving their 4 year old to another table having to leave behind her food and are consoling their child that mom and dad moved you, we've washed your skin and given you Benadryl, hoping and praying there wasn't enough exposure to cause anaphylaxis. While mom and dad are busy with their child who is incredibly upset that she can't sit in the just right for her seats where she was peacefully enjoying her meal, grandpa a 60 year old, 6 foot 3 man is at the kids buffet getting a new plate of food for his granddaughter who will not accept the adult buffet food as she wants the same meal she was forced to abandon.

The above is an incident that did happen during our Feb sailing on the Dawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At any buffet, salad bar, etc. I "check out" the entire thing without a plate to see what's available. A quick "walk through" and back. Knowing what's available allows me to just go to those items rather than piling stuff on the plate and then discovering something down the line I like.

An "excuse me" here and there works wonders if you need to squeeze through a line to get something.

Pretty much describes how I 'check out' the buffet too - better to see 1st and narrow it down to what you want / able to eat than piling it on and being wasteful when you realize you put too much on the plate...

That could have been me on the Jewel in March.

And no, it wasnt for me. It was for my 3 and 6 year old, who generally had to end up sitting in the adult section of the buffet while tables full of grownups with no kids (or once, a puking kid (scarily)) sat in the kids section. What else was I supposed to do? Let my 3 yo serve herself? Go to the adult lines for their food so I "look better?" As it was, I had to have my 6 yo watch her while I got their food, then watch her again while went and got mine, which usually consisted of a roll and pate, since there were no lines for those items (and the pate was delicious).

No kidding. I handed my almost 8-year old a plate of cheese and crackers yesterday and he promptly dumped them on the floor. There is no way I'm letting him get his own food at the buffet!

So please don't take my picture when I'm on the Star in June to post it online for people to make fun of.