Q-sine question

earltonharley

Hi All,

I, my DW and kids and grandkids are cruising on the Summit and I just booked Q-sine. Can someone please explain the ordering from the rather large menu. There are eleven of us total, if that makes any difference. Thanks for your help.

The big party makes it easier. You make your selections on the iPad and the will start bring them out until you start slowing down. If there is something everyone wants you can order two servings. See if you can get the big table in the middle of the room. We had four other couples we meet on board for this and had a ball.

Save some room for the deserts.

Qsine is very much like a tapas restaurant. All small plates for sharing. Having 11 people, you're going to probably order the entire menu twice over. :) it's definitely a communal type of experience where everyone has a little bit of numerous dishes.

I will also say, expect to be there for at least 3 hours. They do not rush you in the least and, with there being 11 people, you'll probably need a lot of time to go through all the dishes.

And one final thing, one person will be needed to take the lead in terms of what's ordered. That's to prevent any confusion and inadvertent multiple orders. The waitstaff will let you know this ahead of time, but since you have a large group, you may want to have someone "pre-designated".

You're going to have a great time though. :) I love Qsine. With 2 people it's very enjoyable; with 11 it'll be incredible! (Now I'm jealous......)

Just curious.. Does Anyone have bad opinions of q-sine? I went once on our first celebrity cruise and found the food and the overall experience horrendous. We left before dessert and even kindly asked for our money back from guest services... Host came and spoke to us and apologized...

But still , food was over cooked, orders were tacky in presentation (a strobe light flashing in a martini glass that's 2 feet from your face on a small table), flash photography from everyone there constantly.. Even with assistance if the waiters, screaming large parties (with and without kids).. And the food was really just not that good, quality or taste.

We are heading on the summit in a few weeks and I'm really curious if we are alone in this experience and should try it again.

Just curious.. Does Anyone have bad opinions of q-sine? I went once on our first celebrity cruise and found the food and the overall experience horrendous. We left before dessert and even kindly asked for our money back from guest services... Host came and spoke to us and apologized...

But still , food was over cooked, orders were tacky in presentation (a strobe light flashing in a martini glass that's 2 feet from your face on a small table), flash photography from everyone there constantly.. Even with assistance if the waiters, screaming large parties (with and without kids).. And the food was really just not that good, quality or taste.

We are heading on the summit in a few weeks and I'm really curious if we are alone in this experience and should try it again.

You're far from alone in disliking Qsine. Edited by mferranti

That seems to be a trend in Japanese restaurants around here.

Our first experience of Qsine on Infinity was two years ago and rather good. Unfortunately our experience on Eclipse in January was not so good. There seemed much less choice on the menu and there is too much emphasis on gimmicky presentation than on the quality of the food itself. We got a 50% first night discount and to be honest it still wasn't worth it.

Qsine is a bit quirky...but that's the design of the restaurant starting with the menus. The creativity is in the way items are served, more than the preparation of each dish. Overall, I'd say the food is good...not great...but it's the experience that keeps us coming back. We've eaten in Qsine on many of our cruises, sometimes just 2 of us, sometimes with friends. Service has always been very good. We eat a normal amount from each dish...if it's a serving that would feed six, we eat about 1/3 of it....and there's no problem leaving the rest...they just take it away and bring the next dish or dishes. If you don't like the thought of "wasting" food, you may be uncomfortable....of course if you eat it all you will also be uncomfortable, but for a different reason :)

It's really worth trying once and then decide for yourself.

I think their biggest issue is setting the dining room up intimately, dark and cozy, while then promoting a TGIF dining experience that yields towards anything other than the aesthetics they present. If this was presented on deck.. or in a brightly lit space, i think i would have gotten into the vibe a little and perhaps overlooked the poor food quality. But seriously, there were incredibly loud large parties taking flash pictures constantly, in a very dark room.

And, again, overcooked food. Presentation was 'everything'.. and it got to more of an eye rolling night than anything else.

Ok, and the iPad.. it's honestly really tacky, and with an extremely dark room, the ipad just glowed in your face. Its nice to know we weren't alone in our opinions, but frankly, i would recommend spending the same money in Murano and getting a truly enjoyable meal.

Never had a problem. We're foodies, so we like to be adventuresome. We found the food overall excellent. The Indian & Mideast items were not real favs of mine, but we tried them anyway. The light in the Martini glass is part of the "Schtick". It's unusual, true, but then, this is not Applebees,either.

Last night I just finished posting my Qsine Photo Review. Take a peak if you like. It is on Silhouette but the food will not be different. Here is a direct link to page 13 of my Photo Video Trip Report just scroll down bit until Qsine starts.

Qsine Photo Review

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

Last night I just finished posting my Qsine Photo Review. Take a peak if you like. It is on Silhouette but the food will not be different. Here is a direct link to page 13 of my Photo Video Trip Report just scroll down bit until Qsine starts.

Qsine Photo Review

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Loved the Qisine photos. Our first celebrity cruise is fast approaching and we are thinking of trying it! Still fun for 2 people?

Thank you!

Loved the Qisine photos. Our first celebrity cruise is fast approaching and we are thinking of trying it! Still fun for 2 people?

Thank you!

Yes it is! And believe me, it's very easy to over eat, too! Best thing to do is get a couple of side dishes and 4 plates to share. This way you should have enough room for dessert! :)

The hard part will be deciding what to order!

Qsine Photo Review

Regards,

Kevin Reid

GREAT photos!!! I'm excited to give Q-sine a try; it isn't available on Constellation, and will be a change-of-pace. I'll be on the Summit's San Juan to Bayonne repo cruise is 2 weeks.

I hope I can round up a big group, so we can try all of those dishes....

The servings can be adjusted, if you are politely firm. It helps if you already know the menu and the serving sizes. For example, you don't have to just take their "fixed" serving. We ask them to bring only ONE spring roll to share with two of us, not two spring rolls each. We ask for a split of many of the dishes rather than just leaving 2/3 of the food. <--- I hate to do that. The meatballs come in a set of 3. We ask for ONE meatball for the two of us to share. We ask for ONE filet mignon to share.

Only thing I won't share is my tombstone chocolate dessert.

It's quirky and it's about the presentation. It's not about fine dining but FUN dining. However, I also think it's kind of run it's course and we'll likely not be going again.

I was not impressed ordering from an Ipad. The food quality was good but the presentation was really interesting. That was the key! A main drawback was the length of time it took to eat there. Really long, especially if you want to take in a show.

Yes, most definitely, but the key for 2 people is to be selective and only eat the things you like.

Don't fill up on all the other stuff they bring out when the dish you want comes accompanied by other things that you really don't want.

I would not recommend Qsine for those who believe they must eat everything put in front of them and were brainwashed as children always to clean your plate as it is sinful to waste food because children in (China, India, the Sudan, wherever your parents chose.....) are starving. :eek: :D

We did it twice on Infinity, 2 separate cruises. Like you, the first time was meh, but we decided to give it another go because the consensus is it's better with more people. Unfortunately, the second time was worse, a total waste of time and money. We should have gone to guest services like you.

There were 7 of us & the waiter told us to order what we wanted and THEY would decide what to bring out based on our selections. We were up front and told them that one of us had a seafood allergy and another didn't eat beef. We may as well have said the opposite and just bring us seafood and beef because that is exactly what they did. 2 of our party only got to try 4 items brought out (cold fries being one). When my friend questioned it, he brought out a bowl of greens and plopped it in front of her and that was it. Chicken would have been an obvious choice but none came out even though we all had selected it.

Wine/bar service sporadic at best. Finally got wine service and the Sommelier seemed miffed because I asked for a wine list. Seems they don't actually look at the wines you select on the iPad and you're supposed to remember them once the iPad is taken away. One of our party was so underwhelmed, they left. We all should have.

Most of the 8 items served was less than enough for all who wanted to try the dish except the Painters Mignon that had the correct number of pieces. This was the only item of sustenance but was super, super thin (definitely not like the ones in the photo above!). The side dishes that came with the steak were a joke because there simply was not enough for everyone to try. A thimbleful of Mac&cheese for 6-7? Why bother? No chocolate strawberries were offered this time either. I left hungry and ended up ordering room service pizza later. An extremely disappointing experience for all!

On the other hand, our meal in the SS United States was the complete opposite, wonderful!

We did it twice on Infinity' date=' 2 separate cruises..... Chicken would have been an obvious choice but none came out even though we all had selected it.........

. The side dishes that came with the steak were a joke because there simply was not enough for everyone to try. A thimbleful of Mac&cheese for 6-7? Why bother? No chocolate strawberries were offered this time either. I left hungry and ended up ordering room service pizza later. An extremely disappointing experience for all!![/quote'] It looks like you were very unlucky and happened to get terrible waiters when you were there.

The waiters that we had were extremely eager to please, and the restaurant manager came around to our table each time to be sure everything was okay and ask if there was anything else we wanted.

You should have simply been able to say that you do not care for X and would they please take it away and bring you Y and Z instead.

One does not go to Qsine expecting a gourmet dinner, but it should be a whimsical, fun experience with a large variety of tasty food items from which to select so that everyone should be able to find a number of satisfying dishes to enjoy.

Edited by varoo

GREAT photos!!! I'm excited to give Q-sine a try; it isn't available on Constellation, and will be a change-of-pace. I'll be on the Summit's San Juan to Bayonne repo cruise is 2 weeks.

I hope I can round up a big group, so we can try all of those dishes....

I am also solo on the Summit repo and would like to try Qsine. Please consider me for any group you form. Loretta

We've also eaten twice in Q'sine and we enjoyed it both times. It's fun and quirky.

We live in a town where most of the top chefs have restaurants. Q'sine is not that quality but totally fun. Part of the fun is the iPad which is found in more than a couple of restaurants here.

Our recommendation is go, enjoy, have fun!

Judy

Our recommendation is go, enjoy, have fun!

Judy

We add our recommendation. We've been to Qsine three times on three different Celebrity ships .. fun every time ..

Here's a little taste in less than 2 minutes.

DjDe0yNK_9A

I think their biggest issue is setting the dining room up intimately, dark and cozy, while then promoting a TGIF dining experience that yields towards anything other than the aesthetics they present. If this was presented on deck.. or in a brightly lit space, i think i would have gotten into the vibe a little and perhaps overlooked the poor food quality. But seriously, there were incredibly loud large parties taking flash pictures constantly, in a very dark room.

And, again, overcooked food. Presentation was 'everything'.. and it got to more of an eye rolling night than anything else.

Ok, and the iPad.. it's honestly really tacky, and with an extremely dark room, the ipad just glowed in your face. Its nice to know we weren't alone in our opinions, but frankly, i would recommend spending the same money in Murano and getting a truly enjoyable meal.

It's always intereresting how subjective food opinions are. We just got off Reflection and were not at all impressed with Murano. We felt the food was average at best, and they seemed to go so out of their way to make the service "special" and "high class" it almost seemed comical and pretentious. On the other hand, the food at Qsine was much better, and the wait staff was AWESOME.