How much would you pay for trip cancellation

cl.klink

I've been quoted a policy that amounts to about 8% of the cost of the cruise and flight costs that the insurance is covering? The terms are OK. It still seems steep to me?

If the chances that a trip had to be cancelled was more than 8%, then this would be worth it. But, the chances are almost certainly less than that, I think.

What would you do?

- Joel

I became ill on our last cruise requiring a trip to the infirmary. I can tell you that the infirmary charges to see the doctor, get a breathing treatment and 3 days worth of antibiotics cost more than our trip insurance. Just another viewpoint.

What is the cost of medical evacuation? $50-100K possibly? Medical treatment not covered by your regular policy because it is out of network or what ever?

Make sure that you have coverage for these types of emergencies, because the insurance covers not only cancellation, which you could probably eat, and you'd just loose your vacation funds for the year, but imagine if you have 50K in medical or emergency evacuation bills? How hard would that impact you financially.

Some policies cover flight delays or interruptions. I had friends who got stranded in LA in Feb because of ice storms in Nashville after their Australian cruise. They got up to $200 a day per person to cover hotel and meal.

I always purchase it, but never used it until my Dad was terminally ill last year and we had to cancel our Norway cruise. Insurance is still probably ahead even with getting that 4K refund, but I buy it for the 50K coverage not the little stuff.

Shop around....I always insure my trip. ;) Google is your friend. Also, if you have a good TA, they will give you options and information.

One time our flight was delayed and we missed a day of our pre cruise tour, plus had to stay in a hotel an additional night. Our insurance coverage pretty much covered the cost of the delay. I would not travel without it. It's just too darn risky, as far as I'm concerned.

In the past 6 years:

My husband got sick and the doctor recommended we cancel the trip. He passed away about the time of the cruise. I had the full refund within two weeks.

My college roommate traveled with me on a Caribbean cruise ending in Ft. Lauderdale the day before the Super Bowl was played in Miami. The blizzard in the northeast prevented us from flying home. Insurance paid for two days hotel and meals.

My college roommate and I returned from a 7 day cruise out of San Juan in February. Our flights home were canceled on Saturday and Sunday and no flights were available on Monday. We flew home on Tuesday, and we are waiting for the insurance payment. Our flight down to the cruise was canceled the day before the cruise, and fortunately we were able to fly in and make the ship the day of the cruise.

I never leave home without the insurance!

It's "insurance" there will be market rates and you'll want to shop around as others said.

More important is do you feel lucky... and what are you worrying about not making it.

I'm younger and feel lucky, I always fly in a day early, so for us we feel pretty sure if its illness that is so bad, the last thing I worry about is a few thousand on losing the value of the cruise, others may differ or have different risk profiles.

For a really big trip, I'd probably say 5% sounds about all I'd go for, pushing 8-10% I'd pass, but that is me. :D

Good thoughts.

I found a website (insuremytrip dot com) that compares different polices and found a better deal with good terms, 5% of trip cost. If I take 20 trips and insure at this rate, I'd need to have one cancelled trip out of 20 to make it "break even." I kinda think I'd beat those odds, but I always loose at Vegas and my last NCAA bracket was something like 2nd percentile on the ESPN thing, so my predictive powers stink.

- Joel

Be sure to check the benefits provided by your credit card(s); many do give you some coverage. We rely on credit card benefits and buy a yearly Medjet Assist policy in case one of us has to be medivaced--I consider it buying peace of mind. We have seen people carted off the ship in helicopters on several of our cruises. Knowing about how to buy travel insurance has a learning curve. Make sure you understand each aspect of your policy.

Bon voyage

Be sure to check the benefits provided by your credit card(s); many do give you some coverage. We rely on credit card benefits and buy a yearly Medjet Assist policy in case one of us has to be medivaced--I consider it buying peace of mind. We have seen people carted off the ship in helicopters on several of our cruises. Knowing about how to buy travel insurance has a learning curve. Make sure you understand each aspect of your policy.

Bon voyage

Good point. I have a credit card I use only for travel. High annual fee of $100 per year plus high interest rate (we pay off each month) but it does have a good travel insurance attached to it as long as the trip is paid 100% on the credit card. It does have a maximum of $2000 per person pre-travel but it is unlimited for an emergency that occurs once travel has commenced.

We had a death in the family in 2007 and had to de-cruise midway through, it refunded our unused cruise days and paid four last minute one way fares home from St. Thomas.

I always go to insuremytripdotcom. They list a lot of different insurance companies with different benefits. I am sure you can find one that works for you.

We never travel without insurance. I always make sure that the policy I choose has a high emergency relocation benefit (100k).

Dave

Good point. I have a credit card I use only for travel. High annual fee of $100 per year plus high interest rate (we pay off each month) but it does have a good travel insurance attached to it as long as the trip is paid 100% on the credit card. It does have a maximum of $2000 per person pre-travel but it is unlimited for an emergency that occurs once travel has commenced.

We had a death in the family in 2007 and had to de-cruise midway through, it refunded our unused cruise days and paid four last minute one way fares home from St. Thomas.

Can you tell us what credit card that is? And the bank that issues it? If one does multiple cruises each year, this would seem to be a better choice than individual policies.

Until recently, I never bought trip insurance. We are in our 50s and 60s now. I bought it for this upcoming trip.

I didn't buy the insurance in case we end up having to cancel - we can eat those expenses if we had to.

I bought trip insurance because there have been many cases of people having to be airlifted off the ship, or to other hospitals due to sudden injury or illness. On our last cruise, we watched as someone was airlifted by helicopter from our ship to a hospital back in the US.

The cost of any type of evacuation like that (plus the emergency medical care/surgery not covered by our insurance) might come close to bankrupting one of us, or at the very least, cutting significantly into our retirement fund. I understand that medical evacuations can easily cost $50,000 when all is said and done.

For less than $100 each (for a 7 day cruise), we can assure that will never happen.

It's peace of mind - and worth EVERY PENNY!!!!

Edited by DinaS

I agree some medical insurance is necessary.

Trip cancellation, be careful on that one, you need to know what reasons are covered and how late you can cancel and exactly who to notify. Lots of folks have gotten stung by not knowing the details of the cancellation part. If you need cancel for any reason, usually the cruise lines insurance is least expensive.

I would definitely get the trip insurance! Last year I had to cancel a cruise including flights the day before because of a terminal family illness. Got everything back and if I had to take that trip because I didn't want to lose $$$ I would have regretted it. Take into consideration that a family member might get sick, or you or your travelling companion need medical attention on the trip. Go to insuremytrip.com where you can compare, read the fine print, and I always get the pre-existing condition waiver.

The first time I bought trip insurance, I had to use it. My claim was over $25,000 for missed flight, lost luggage, etc. Well worth it. Do I buy insurance for a $500 trip? No, but definitely spent the $300 to cover my cruise this summer. It is worth it for the peace of mind.

Can you tell us what credit card that is? And the bank that issues it? If one does multiple cruises each year, this would seem to be a better choice than individual policies.

I can but I'm not sure it would help you as it is a Canadian issued card. It is the Odyssey Dejsardins Gold Visa issued by the Caisse Populaire in Quebec.

http://www.desjardins.com/ca/personal/loans-credit/credit-cards/visa-odyssey-gold/insurance/#voyage-3-jours

I know there are other Canadian cards that have the same. Maybe there are some American ones too.

I did have a claim, as previously mentioned, and I had no problems.

We only do one cruise per year but do multiple vacations so it is well worthwhile.

Edited by monicajay

In the past I never purchased insurance since most of my flights were award flights and hotels are easy to cancel.

My first cruise out of Tampa we had high winds and half of the plane was asked to deplane and take a later flight.

It was a day before the cruise but I definitely cut it close.

I take the weather emergencies a bit more serious now.

Last 2 times the insurance rates were around $65pp.

My next one is about $120pp around 4.5% of cruise cost, determined by destination, our ages, coverage and length of trip made the cost higher.

This one even has terrorism included.

In the US the Chase Sapphire and Chase United Cards have cancellation benefits. If you have to cancel for a pre-existing medical it would not be covered. AA Citibank also has cancellation coverage...Chase's seems a little better.