Istanbul private tour

8 of us are going on Celebrity Equinox cruise in June, and we will have one full day in Istanbul, as the ship is docking overnight. The cruise ship organised excursion will cost more than $1000 for all of us. Maybe it will be cheaper to organise a private tour.

Would like to hear from anyone who had good experience with a private tour in Istanbul.

I did a private tour almost a decade ago, well worth Private given exchange rate and all, we were a group of almost 15 and got a nice big van and private driver and guide. I'd recommend our tour, but haven't seen them mentioned in a long while... let more recent cruisers give you some reference.

I will say that after doing it I am torn if I couldn't have done this myself with more research. It was nice having the bus pick us up and drop us in front of each attraction, but after experience this feel very comfortable planning my own day if I was to do it again. The one very nice thing was the "guide" who gave us great attention and detail at each of the historical sites. My parents were old and thus between the temperature and proximity of the drops and having the AC'd van was a huge plus for them. If you have a sense of adventure and don't my some walk and public transportation it is on your own IMHO.

Good luck!

Edited by chipmaster

Istanbul is really very easy to DIY. You can get a tram from about 5 minutes walk from the port which will take you into the Sultanahmet area, where you'll find most of the main sights are within walking distance of each other.

8 of us are going on Celebrity Equinox cruise in June, and we will have one full day in Istanbul, as the ship is docking overnight. The cruise ship organised excursion will cost more than $1000 for all of us. Maybe it will be cheaper to organise a private tour.

Would like to hear from anyone who had good experience with a private tour in Istanbul.

The eight of you have enough to hire a private tour guide. Check out Ekol Tours. They are very easy to deal with on customizing a tour.Our guide was a yong man named Hassan.

I organized a tour for the second day of our overnight in Istanbul on a Celebrity Ship. One needs to prioritze exactly what highlights you want to see and Ekol will tell you if that is all doable in one day.

We did a Ottoman Highlights. Went to Suleymaniye Mosque first. This is a huge complex and the Mosque is, I think, more imposing and historical than the Blue. Also toured the graveyard when he and his wife Roxanna are buried. Then off to Topaki palace grounds for the rest of the day. Walked through palace, haram, also the Tile, and archeology Museum. The grounds are vast, with plenty of places to sit if other are still inside. Also ate lunc there. Two cafes and lunch was on our own.

Cost included bus and driver, great guide, tickets to buildings except the Archeology museum. We paid at entrance. Not busy at all in museums. Cost was about $95.00 USD for eight. We were there in Nov 2013. We were picked up at 8:30 at our dock and returned by 3:00-3:00. In plenty time for sailaway.

Edited by Azulann

Don't even think about the ship's tour.

In fact, you don't need a guide at all.

Most of the key sites are located in the old (Sultanmet) part of the city. You can take a taxi there or the tram and walk to all.

Here is my review of our cruise from Istanbul that outlines doing Istanbul.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=228545

Get an audio guide at Hagia Sophia and Topkapi.

This excerpt may be a couple of years old, but the prices should be close to current prices:

Topkapi palace 25TL (u12s free), + another 15TL for the Harem

Hagia Sophia

Entry cost 25 TL

For both of these you can buy tickets in advance (except for the Harem, which you get from the box office once inside the Topkapi palace) from http://www.muze.gov.tr/hagiasophia This worked out well as we went straight in past the long lines. You print out an email with a QR code for each ticket and remember to take it with you

For u12s (free) you don't need a ticket. Our youngster was obviously under 12 and the official at the turnstile waved her through, but we had her passport with us anyway.

The only downside with buying your ticket in advance is that the website makes it clear it is non-refundable so if you don't use it, it's lost. But as 25TL is not a fortune I'd say getting it this way is well worth it - just double check you get the date right.

Blue Mosque

Entry is free and they provide clothing if your shorts don't cover your knees. You can't go in at prayer times, so as the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque are almost next to each other go to the mosque first and check your possible entry times (i.e. outside of the 5 prayer periods). That way you will know when to go there and not waste precious time. If you get lucky and can go in straight away, do so and go to the Hagia Sophia afterwards - your ticket there is for the day and does not specify a time. Once inside the mosque we spent about 15 minutes looking round. The tiles are stunning and I would have liked longer here but was mindful of our schedule.

Basilica Cistern

You can't buy your (10 TL) ticket in advance but the queue moves quickly. There are over 50 steps down to the cistern floor. I think this is another 'must-see' as there can't be too much else like it anywhere. It's a one trick pony but a great one, and we spent 15 minutes down there.

Grand Bazaar, Galata Tower (12 TL) & Spice Bazaar

Obviously going to Sultanahmet by taxi is easiest way but the tram is simple and less susceptible to traffic delays. As you leave the port turn right, walk about 200 yards and you'll see the stop. But before you do that ask someone where the nearest machine is to buy the tram tokens (red plastic discs which you use to open the platform gates). Each ride cost 2 TL pp so you'll need 4 pp to go there and back. If you want to go the Grand Bazaar after Sultanahmet you could walk (about a mile) or tram it, in which case you'll need another disc. There is a token machine at Sultanahmet (probably more than one) if you need to top up.

I am VERY glad we used a local guide for 2 intense days of Walking n Gawking and Pix taking all 'round Istanbul in 2015. It eliminated wandering around aimlessly.

It's hilly...so maybe people with infirmities should do a Day Tour with Mini-bus to lug them around. but they will surely miss out on a lot!! Istanbul is ideal for Roving back streets, Museums, ferry boats, bazaars and eateries on foot...it is a walker's city. Would I NEED a guide like UrbanAdventures for our next Multi-day trip?? Possibly not unless I would do a Night-life party crawl or slumming etc. If I was strictly interested in Gold-gilded Domes n Museums for 1/2day...definitely not. But we were 1st-timers to Istanbul...

Indeed, Cruiseship Tours are predictable and structured, but far higher $Priced$ than what a DIY walker could manage, but a Door-to-door Mother-hen might be what some people need.

Locomotiveman Tom

I am VERY glad we used a local guide for 2 intense days of Walking n Gawking and Pix taking all 'round Istanbul in 2015. It eliminated wandering around aimlessly.

It's hilly...so maybe people with infirmities should do a Day Tour with Mini-bus to lug them around. but they will surely miss out on a lot!! Istanbul is ideal for Roving back streets, Museums, ferry boats, bazaars and eateries on foot...it is a walker's city. Would I NEED a guide like UrbanAdventures for our next Multi-day trip?? Possibly not unless I would do a Night-life party crawl or slumming etc. If I was strictly interested in Gold-gilded Domes n Museums for 1/2day...definitely not. But we were 1st-timers to Istanbul...

Indeed, Cruiseship Tours are predictable and structured, but far higher $Priced$ than what a DIY walker could manage, but a Door-to-door Mother-hen might be what some people need.

Locomotiveman Tom

WOuld you mind telling us who you used for a guide and the price? Thanks!:)

4774papa was there a way you converted the Hagia Sopha ticket site to English? When I click it's in Turkish and I don't see any conversion feature.

Thanks! Leaving from Venice in 24 day on NCL Spirit, can't wait!

WOuld you mind telling us who you used for a guide and the price? Thanks!:)

WhiteCloud, Hi. Day 1 we did CulinaryBackstreets walking tour with a gal, Ipek: 2Continents-2Markets. It involved roaming and eating. Wonderful day. We don't speak Turkish...so now we are streetwise to Turkish food, teas and Ferry setup forevermore. $125/pp and ALL food and drinks included. Bargain in our mind

Day2 We did UrbanAdventures: Istanbul Conquered with a guy, Iskender: Covered the 'Biggie' Mosques/Museums area of Sultanahmet area of Old Istanbul. Expert knowledge and fun to see things thru eyes of a local guy. Included a great meal and a roam thru Bazaar etc etc. Worthwhile for us 2 newbies to Moslem Istanbul and all that is Sultanahmet. $75/pp Bargain in our mind. We tipped them both.

I detailed them here in my: ISTANBUL..I shall Report Back, Post. Locomotiveman Tom

4774papa was there a way you converted the Hagia Sopha ticket site to English? When I click it's in Turkish and I don't see any conversion feature.

Thanks! Leaving from Venice in 24 day on NCL Spirit, can't wait!

When I used the link it was in English, but that was two years ago. I can't find an English version.

WhiteCloud, Hi. Day 1 we did CulinaryBackstreets walking tour with a gal, Ipek: 2Continents-2Markets. It involved roaming and eating. Wonderful day. We don't speak Turkish...so now we are streetwise to Turkish food, teas and Ferry setup forevermore. $125/pp and ALL food and drinks included. Bargain in our mind

Day2 We did UrbanAdventures: Istanbul Conquered with a guy, Iskender: Covered the 'Biggie' Mosques/Museums area of Sultanahmet area of Old Istanbul. Expert knowledge and fun to see things thru eyes of a local guy. Included a great meal and a roam thru Bazaar etc etc. Worthwhile for us 2 newbies to Moslem Istanbul and all that is Sultanahmet. $75/pp Bargain in our mind. We tipped them both.

I detailed them here in my: ISTANBUL..I shall Report Back, Post. Locomotiveman Tom

Thank you! They are a bargain!

How much is the taxi from the port to the Sultanahmet Area? Our ship gets in at 1 pm, but we have to leave the next morning at 7 AM. We only have that afternoon/evening. We're wanting to do the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topaki Palace with Harem and the grand bazaar. Do you think this is doable? Is the ferry something we could do on our way back to the ship?

How much is the taxi from the port to the Sultanahmet Area? Our ship gets in at 1 pm, but we have to leave the next morning at 7 AM. We only have that afternoon/evening. We're wanting to do the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topaki Palace with Harem and the grand bazaar. Do you think this is doable? Is the ferry something we could do on our way back to the ship?

I think you can likely manage the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and perhaps Topkapi OR the grand bazaar.

We spent about an hour getting in and enjoying the Blue Mosque, about two hours at Hagia Sophia and about four at Topkapi/harem. Not sure when Topkapi closes, but even if you arrive at Sultanahment at 2pm, you would have a hard time doing all four.

Don't miss Hagia Sophia.

As of early April2015 it was about $7/USD Yellow Taxi from the Cruise Pier to some generic drop-off near Sultanahmet's Blue Mosque area. BUT....Taxi needs to go over a Bridge...traffic could be nuts. If you can truly WALK well for 2+Miles you could hit the Grand Bazaar on your evening stroll back from Blue Mosque by walking over the Galata Walkbridge, which is the Ferry Terminal stop, thus killing 3birds with one stone. Quite sure I could beat most Taxis Pier-to-Topkapi by jogging. Locomotiveman Tom

Could any of you very experienced cruisers tell me about getting from one to the other? We will taxi to Hagia Sophia early, then would like to go through the GB down to. The Spice Market ( thanks to Rick Steves)

I can't seem to work out any easy way to get from Hagia Sophia down to the Bazaar though, looks like a more arduous walk than we would like.

Could any of you very experienced cruisers tell me about getting from one to the other? We will taxi to Hagia Sophia early, then would like to go through the GB down to. The Spice Market ( thanks to Rick Steves)

I can't seem to work out any easy way to get from Hagia Sophia down to the Bazaar though, looks like a more arduous walk than we would like.

It is not a bad walk, we did it. In fact, we walked from the Chora Church down to the Golden Horn, to the Spice Market.

We did it a few years ago when dw's knee was bad. It was an easy walk.

If you are traveling with that many people, check out Meander Travel. We used them last spring and they provided a van and went where we wanted to go. Yes, you could do the old city of Istanbul without a guide, but having a guide with us was priceless. We saw more in 1 day than in a one and a half day ship excursion.

Thanks for all the tips!!! We'll be there on 7/17/15 and found out the (1) Blue Mosque and Grand Bazar will be closed to tours due to the religious holiday, Bairams. Does anyone know if that's accurate. If so, I guess it helps with our decision of what not to see. (2) How long would you spend in Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace & Harem Sections? (3) From that tram stop how do you get back to the ferry for a ride and pictures? (4) Would you do the ferry or a Bosphorus cruise? (5) Then after that, what would be a good place close to the ferry dock to have dinner with a gorgeous view? Wow, I've asked a lot of questions!

Thanks for all the tips!!! We'll be there on 7/17/15 and found out the (1) Blue Mosque and Grand Bazar will be closed to tours due to the religious holiday, Bairams. Does anyone know if that's accurate. If so, I guess it helps with our decision of what not to see. (2) How long would you spend in Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace & Harem Sections? (3) From that tram stop how do you get back to the ferry for a ride and pictures? (4) Would you do the ferry or a Bosphorus cruise? (5) Then after that, what would be a good place close to the ferry dock to have dinner with a gorgeous view? Wow, I've asked a lot of questions!

What you're running into is Bayram, the official end of the Ramadan fasting period (and a major celebration).

Haghia Sofia needs at least an hour (don't forget to go upstairs); Topkapi at least two hours.

The tram stop closest to Haghia Sofia is Sultanahmet, and the one closes to Topkapi is Gulhane. Just get on the tram at either one in the direction of Galata bridge and get off at the Eminonu stop (not very far). Here is the Spice Market and also where the ferries and Bosphorus cruises depart from.

Hamdi restaurant is very nearby and it has the great views you want.

http://hamdi.com.tr/tr/eminonu

Menu: https://www.zomato.com/istanbul/hamdi-restaurant-emin%C3%B6n%C3%BC-istanbul/menu