overnight in anchorage vs palmer vs girdwood

knbcruisers

Currently I have our last night before flying home reserved at a hotel in Mid-town Anchorage. I am now wondering if I would be better off staying in Girdwood or Palmer?? We leave Denali Saturday am and drive south, overnighting in Anchorage. I expect we would have a good part of afternoon and evening for sightseeing along the way and in Anchorage. Flight leaves Sunday at 9 pm. I was planning on driving Turnagain Arm Sunday and going as far as Wildlife Center, and returning to airport about 6 pm to drop rental and check-in. The dilemma is would I be better off driving less on Saturday and having more time for touring north of Anchorage? and then Sunday head south? ...or do more driving Saturday and overnight south of Anchorage. Or am I trying to do too much? I am considering Knik River Lodge or a B&B in Girdwood? Or maybe Anchorage is the place to stay due to it's being central and we could adjust based on weather?

This is what happens when I do too much research.:o

I would first determine what activities I wanted to do, and where I wanted to be with my touring? I could enjoy time in Talkeetna, then a few stops in Wasilla, then time at Independence mine etc so Palmer would be a good match. Matanuska? Anchorage? the Arm half a day?. The answer- could be along these lines?

Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't change the original plan. I'd stay in Anchorage on Saturday night. Then explore Anchorage and south of Anchorage on Sunday. I think you could have a very full day on Saturday already, depending on your plans after leaving Denali.

You should allow yourself plenty of time to return to Anchorage. Depending on when you go the traffic Nbound can be very hectic especially on Sundays during salmon runs and dip netting season. There is only one way down and one way up. Very much worth the trip down to Girdwood as the scenery along the way is great. Enjoy your trip.