Question on Choosing Upgrade Preference

I have a question regarding picking the automatic Upgrade Preference in your Profile. Does RCI automatically upgrade you? or do they ask you first if you want the upgrade? What happens if you don't like the location? We're booked into an Obstructed Balcony and it would be great if by chance we get a complimentary upgrade to a Regular Balcony but am worried should it be near a noisy venue or under the pool deck which we would not want. Any ideas on how the upgrade works? Thanks all.

I have a question regarding picking the automatic Upgrade Preference in your Profile. Does RCI automatically upgrade you? or do they ask you first if you want the upgrade? What happens if you don't like the location? We're booked into an Obstructed Balcony and it would be great if by chance we get a complimentary upgrade to a Regular Balcony but am worried should it be near a noisy venue or under the pool deck which we would not want. Any ideas on how the upgrade works? Thanks all.

An automatic upgrade is just that, especially on the west coast....it is automatic. They don't call you, they don't email, they don't give you a selection.

If you have any reservations about what sort of upgrade you might receive, you probably shouldn't check the box to allow them. :D

There are plenty of people that will be happy with any sort of an upgrade. :):D

Be very careful...what RCI may think is an upgrade...may not be what you might consider an upgrade.;)

My upgrade is set to automatic. I fear that if they have to call me and wait for my answer it will be gone. Believe me from interior to oceanview to Central Park balcony to real balcony and on and on that for me is a great upgrade

Not sure why some will book at a less desirable cabin and hoping for an upgrade, than just book what they like in the first place.

Free upgrades rarely happen these days, I have ready many are already D+ but still been upgraded for free in their lifetime.

Upgrades may happen if someone wants your cabin and it is an additional revenue for RCCL to upgrade you.

Like for example you booked a corner aft D1 balcony with automatic upgrade preferences, then a VIP cruiser who books late suddenly wants your cabin or else he/she will not book.

So for additional revenue, you will be upgraded to a JS but only with a regular port or starboard balcony to accommodate that passenger who wants a corner aft balcony..

It is an upgrade from D1 to JS all right, but for you it might be not as you lost that prime balcony spot of the ship.

Other than these special cases... upgrades are seldom so it might be worthwhile to pick a cabin you like from the start.. rather than hope for a very rare free upgrade that you might just end up being frustrated.

Edited by roquejo

How close to sail date do the upgrades get applied?

How do they work? do they move everyone up a level so that they can sell lower tier cabins at discount near to sail date? if there is spare capacity higher up the tiers?

We booked a grade d8 balcony guarantee and when the invoice came we had been assigned a d7 balcony cabin

so it happened almost straight away (6 months out)

is it possible we may be upgraded again?

Edited by bogofman

Not sure why some will book at a less desirable cabin and hoping for an upgrade, than just book what they like in the first place.

Different strokes. I don't know why people would pay a higher price for an identical cabin, but it doesn't bother me if they do so. I also don't get why someone would refuse a free upgrade. We've always enjoyed the occasional upgrade.

Sometimes people book the lowest category and then hope to upgrade for less money after final payment.

I also don't get why someone would refuse a free upgrade.

People post this all the time here: Sometimes people want a certain location. Sometimes people want an aft room with a bigger balcony over a JS on the side.

Upgrades are not always better than what you originally booked. I'd rather have an inside on a higher deck than an OV on 2 or 3.

How close to sail date do the upgrades get applied?

is it possible we may be upgraded again?

We were upgraded once about three weeks out. Another time, we showed up at the terminal, got our seapass cards, and noticed a different cabin number on them. They said it was a dockside upgrade.