Dress Code for Luminare Restaurant

TRAVELINGMAN2

So let me get this straight. On formal night you can dress smart casual in Blu, Luminare,and specialty restaurants. So why oh why do they force people to dress formally in select dining? I follow the dress code but with all of these other venues dumbing it down why don't they just do away with formal nights?

Edited by Iamcruzin

So let me get this straight. On formal night you can dress smart casual in Blu, Luminare,and specialty restaurants. So why oh why do they force people to dress formally in select dining? I follow the dress code but with all of these other venues dumbing it down why don't they just do away with formal nights?

I completely agree and wrote an email to Celebrity stating just that.

I find it absurd that those who pay an additional fare for a suite or aqua class can be exempt from formal night, but those in a standard cabin either have to eat at a buffet (yuck!) or pay for a specialty restaurant.

No reply was received, btw.

Maybe because they know they can sell lots of pictures on the nights they demand that we dress up? Just a thought....

And make money from people eating in specialties.

Should also take into account there are still many seasoned Celebrity cruisers who enjoy formal.

There have also been many on this board including myself who predicted smart casual every night for several years now. Obviously we were wrong.

Edited by dkjretired

And make money from people eating in specialties.

Should also take into account there are still many seasoned Celebrity cruisers who enjoy formal.

There have also been many on this board including myself who predicted smart casual every night for several years now. Obviously we were wrong.

I do realize that many still enjoy dressing up. Those same seasoned cruisers also book set seating not select. I would also think that those booking a suite would want a more formal setting in a dining room that is geared to serving an upscale menu. Those of us who book select dining aren't looking for a white glove long dragged out dinning experience. We want to come and go as it fits into our schedule. I'm not saying that you can't dress up but it should be a choice and I think that select dining by nature is more of a casual setting or attitude than Blu or Luminae. I enjoy the meals that are being served in the MDR on formal nights. I would rather book a specialty restaurant on a night that I don't like what is being served.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Those of us who book select dining aren't looking for a white glove long dragged out dinning experience. We want to come and go as it fits into our schedule. I'm not saying that you can't dress up but it should be a choice and I think that select dining by nature is more of a casual setting or attitude than Blu or Luminae. I enjoy the meals that are being served in the MDR on formal nights. I would rather book a specialty restaurant on a night that I don't like what is being served.

I disagree. I don't see the connection because dressing up and selecting our own time to eat. We enjoy both and judging by the number of people we've seen dress for dinner in select, we're not the only ones.

I disagree. I don't see the connection because dressing up and selecting our own time to eat. We enjoy both and judging by the number of people we've seen dress for dinner in select, we're not the only ones.

I agree also, don't think Select dining means no dress up.

I dress for dinner in select as well. It's not by choice it's because I follow the guide lines. I wonder how many wouldn't dress up if they had the choice not to.

Exactly. So why doesn't Blu and Luminare follow the same policy?

Because when you pay more you expect more privileges. One of those privileges is not dressing formally if you don't want to.

Edited by gek

Because when you pay more you expect more privileges. One of those privileges is not dressing formally if you don't want to.

I really don't think that theory works when many times you can book Aqua class for less than Concierge Class. I think the point that I'm trying to make is Other then the Specialty restaurants all the other options are considered MDR options which are paid in your cruise fare. Either there is a formal night or there isn't.

I do not believe that anyone is "forced" to dress formally at anytime. We nicely dress for dinner every night with my DH usually doing a jacket and tie and a tux on formal - but I believe that he could just as easily wear a golf shirt and chinos and not be refused service on formal night but please correct me if this is not the case. I did see a couple refused entry once both wearing scruffy jeans and a t-shirt (either lost luggage or traveling back-pack as they were the same jeans & t-shirt worn every time I saw them).

I do not believe that anyone is "forced" to dress formally at anytime. We nicely dress for dinner every night with my DH usually doing a jacket and tie and a tux on formal - but I believe that he could just as easily wear a golf shirt and chinos and not be refused service on formal night but please correct me if this is not the case. I did see a couple refused entry once both wearing scruffy jeans and a t-shirt (either lost luggage or traveling back-pack as they were the same jeans & t-shirt worn every time I saw them).

This is the sign that was posted outside of the select dining MDR. I'm not for or against the dress code just that it seems to be getting more and more ambiguous with all of the dinning choices. They carved out a section of select dining to accommodate Blu and now they took a section of traditional dining to accommodate Luminare. At this point the formal dress code should be optional if it's not going to required in the other two dining rooms.

ImageUploadedByForums1428935870.322958.jpg.225abe9ee299ea617e4dd7da433541b8.jpg

Edited by Iamcruzin

I have to disagree with the assumption that was made about people who book suites. We book suites. We are NOT looking for a formal situation because we're in a suite. We don't expect a white glove formal dining experience. We book suites ONLY because we want a larger stateroom. Smart casual is perfect and I'm not sure when the entire ship will be deemed "formal optional" but I hope that day comes. We don't book suites because we can pay more for a smart casual dress code. That's just silly. We actually dress every single night even dressier than what 'smart casual' describes. We just don't want to bring formalwear on vacation if we don't have to.

I love the way Azamara does it. Smart casual every day everywhere. No dress code police. No pages and pages of threads about what to wear on the ship at night.

I have to disagree with the assumption that was made about people who book suites. We book suites. We are NOT looking for a formal situation because we're in a suite. We don't expect a white glove formal dining experience. We book suites ONLY because we want a larger stateroom. Smart casual is perfect and I'm not sure when the entire ship will be deemed "formal optional" but I hope that day comes. We don't book suites because we can pay more for a smart casual dress code. That's just silly. We actually dress every single night even dressier than what 'smart casual' describes. We just don't want to bring formalwear on vacation if we don't have to.

I love the way Azamara does it. Smart casual every day everywhere. No dress code police. No pages and pages of threads about what to wear on the ship at night.

Would be a very quiet Celebrity forum, if one took away dress..tipping and drink pkg chat,lol

Edited by flames9

Just for clarity and truth....there have been reports on cruise critic of cruises where the Maitre d' at Blu insists that they follow the MDR dress code....smart casual not alowed or wear their "house" jacket. That's not Celebrity's policy, but stuff like this does happen. There have also been reports here, again on certain cruises, that on formal night, only those who meet the MDR formal dress code are allowed to sit on the main level...if you are "smart casual", they have asked that one sits in the upper area. I kid you not.

Likely this won't happen to you.....but the "official policy" is occasionally mis-understood or perhaps just changed by someone on the ship.

Just for clarity and truth....there have been reports on cruise critic of cruises where the Maitre d' at Blu insists that they follow the MDR dress code....smart casual not alowed or wear their "house" jacket. That's not Celebrity's policy, but stuff like this does happen. There have also been reports here, again on certain cruises, that on formal night, only those who meet the MDR formal dress code are allowed to sit on the main level...if you are "smart casual", they have asked that one sits in the upper area. I kid you not.

Likely this won't happen to you.....but the "official policy" is occasionally mis-understood or perhaps just changed by someone on the ship.

I believe the sitting on main level deals with the theater not the MDR.

Bottom line is there is no consistency from ship to ship or even cruise to cruise. Sometimes you might walk in with a jacket, other nights you might be excluded. Choice is yours but don't complain if they won't let you in.

I agree also, don't think Select dining means no dress up.

Formal night in Select Dining:

Examples (gentlemen)

Tux, jacket and tie, long sleeved shirt and tie no jacket,

shirt only with no tie or jacket, jacket and shirt no tie

You name it we saw it

We felt Select Dining was noisy, crowded and room was dark

Food and service excellent and the wait time was not bad

Elite gathering in Sky Lounge:

We saw gentlemen in shorts and tee shirts

We decided it was a younger crowd and we were in the Caribbean?

Was on the Equinox sailing March 27, 2015. We were in a suite and assigned to eat at Luminae. we were told that we were to dress formal on formal nights. We did see kids in there on formal night in shorts! We were told this by the waiter and except for the kids everyone else was dressed formally on formal night

Hello everyone! I haven't been home for an hour from the 4/12 sailing. We enjoyed all available meals in luminae. On this ship the acceptable dress code was from casual up. Formal nights included. We never saw shorts in the evening. Brunch was very casual including folks who were coming from the pool, in appropriate cover up.

I will share much more detail after I rejoin reality. I must share immediately though how absolutely fabulous the atmosphere and service were! That alone would be invaluable.

The luminae experience will make the transition back to reality seriously more painful.

Simply delightful!