Restaurant in FLL

cincicruisers

I'll 2nd that suggestion. Bimini Boatyard is a pretty good place for seafood in a great location.

There's also a German restaurant pretty close to Embassy Suites (of course the name escapes me now!) that I've read about here on these boards. Perhaps someone will chime in here w/the name.

Edited by dreamer976

I'll 2nd that suggestion. Bimini Boatyard is a pretty good place for seafood in a great location.

There's also a German restaurant pretty close to Embassy Suites (of course the name escapes me now!) that I've read about here on these boards. Perhaps someone will chime in here w/the name.

Do you mean Old Heidelberg? It's about 2-3 miles from Embassy Suites on State Rd 84.

There are so many restaurants near Embassy. We like to dine outdoors/waterfront whenever possible, so Southport Raw Bar, Bimini Boatyard, and Docksiders at 15th St Fisheries are good in that neighborhood.

We always go to Casablanca. It's across the street from the beach, and the food and atmosphere is very good. We also like H2O, which is just south of Casablanca. They're open for breakfast, too, and it's very good. An easy/inexpensive ride on the trolley to both.

Edited by ciera123

Do you mean Old Heidelberg? It's about 2-3 miles from Embassy Suites on State Rd 84.

Yes, Sharon, that's the one, thanks for setting me straight. Sorry, cincicruisers, it must be close to another popular hotel visited by pre and post cruisers, which is how I heard of it.

Sharon also mentioned 15th St. Fisheries which has great views. I've only eaten off of their more casual menu, upstairs on their back deck. This is also a water taxi stop.

I had always heard of Bimini Boatyard having the reputation as the worst tourist trap in Ft. Lauderdale. And wouldn't any restaurant that serves (or in their case, sells) Bimini Bread with their meals necessarily have to be part of a chain?

All the other suggestions are fine, you just have to decide how much you want to spend per person: $20-25 (Kellys, Southport), $50 (Mezzaluna, 15 St Fisheries) or $75+ (Market 17)

And wouldn't any restaurant that serves (or in their case, sells) Bimini Bread with their meals necessarily have to be part of a chain?

Bimini bread is based on a recipe from the island of Bimini in the Bahamas (same island the Bimini Boatyard is named after). It can be found in many south Florida restaurants. We love the version at Aruba's in Lauderdale by the Sea.

I will second the Market 17 recommendation if price isn't an object and recommend the tasting menu. Always delicious!

Edited by capriccio

I had always heard of Bimini Boatyard having the reputation as the worst tourist trap in Ft. Lauderdale. And wouldn't any restaurant that serves (or in their case, sells) Bimini Bread with their meals necessarily have to be part of a chain?

All the other suggestions are fine, you just have to decide how much you want to spend per person: $20-25 (Kellys, Southport), $50 (Mezzaluna, 15 St Fisheries) or $75+ (Market 17)

Bimini Boatyard is locally owned and operated.

Tourist trap? Fort Lauderdale is a tourist town.

We eat there quite often with friends who are locals and see a lot of the same faces.

The food is always good as is the service and the ambiance is hard to beat.

Tourist trap is not a description I'd use for Bimini Boatyard.

Southport Raw Bar has the best fish sandwiches. My wife loves the fish tacos that are usually on the specials menu. It's a great place to have a cold beer or a decent glass of wine. My son thinks that the tuna melt is the best one he ever had. The oysters and clams on the half shell are fresh too. The place has a lot of character too!

Bimini Boatyard is locally owned and operated.

Tourist trap? Fort Lauderdale is a tourist town.

We eat there quite often with friends who are locals and see a lot of the same faces.

The food is always good as is the service and the ambiance is hard to beat.

Tourist trap is not a description I'd use for Bimini Boatyard.

I eat at Bimini with locals and visitors. The ambiance is great. The food is usually very good. I've been going there for 20 yrs! The Bimini bread can be hit or miss though...when it's done right it is awesome!