Feeling overwhelmed...

thehams

...with everything there is to do on the cruise. Our upcoming cruise will be my 3rd one. My last cruise was over 5 years ago. I was a lot younger and in "party" mode and did a lot of drinking.

Now that I am older, drinking/partying is not all that's on my mind. I'm having a hard figuring out how I can sleep in, find time for a work out, eat, our excursions, relax by the pool, do on-board activities, AND go to shows, bars etc.

I'm sure it will all work out, but being the type of person I am, I can't help but feel overwhelmed by it all.

If going on holiday is so stressful, heaven help you if you have a job! :)

There is NOTHING on that list that you must do. Except possibly the excursions, if they're already paid for! When you reach "relax by the pool" on your list of things to do, just carry on relaxing.

...with everything there is to do on the cruise. Our upcoming cruise will be my 3rd one. My last cruise was over 5 years ago. I was a lot younger and in "party" mode and did a lot of drinking.

Now that I am older, drinking/partying is not all that's on my mind. I'm having a hard figuring out how I can sleep in, find time for a work out, eat, our excursions, relax by the pool, do on-board activities, AND go to shows, bars etc.

I'm sure it will all work out, but being the type of person I am, I can't help but feel overwhelmed by it all.

Sounds like you REALLY need a vacation..................................or not.:p

Sleep when you want to sleep

Eat when you are hungry

Relax by the pool whenever you feel like it

Go on the excursions

Go to a show or two

You can't swing a dead cat on a cruise ship without hitting a bar, so find one you like, sit down and order a drink.

This ain't rocket science here.:cool:

haha, yes I do need a vacation. It's been over 6 years since my last one!! This is just who I am, it's my personality. I'm not stressing over a vacation, just a little overwhelmed with all there is to do and making sure I get to do every thing I want.

haha, yes I do need a vacation. It's been over 6 years since my last one!! This is just who I am, it's my personality. I'm not stressing over a vacation, just a little overwhelmed with all there is to do and making sure I get to do every thing I want.

Try not to stress over it.

After you board the ship go to the poolside bar, order a lovely frozen drink and find a good place to sit and relax. Take a deep breath, smell the sea air, do some people watching and say outloud, " Relax, you are on vacation. Nothing to do, and anything to do."

It will all fall into place.:)

Just think of it this way. Anything you don't get around to doing this cruise, just gives you an excuse to take another cruise. Yup - you have to keep going back til you get it right!

Edited by SewMuch

Only stress about things that are required, let everything else just happen.

Off the top of my head the only requirements I can think of are: make correct payments, bring proper ID, and arrive on time.

If you "miss" shows/ pools/ spa/ tours/ etc... then that will be your excuse to plan another cruise.

Remember you dont have do do ANYTHING....well maybe breath and drink and whatnot.

If you want to spend your cruising sitting reading and sleeping while eating fries all week then so be it.

If you want to flowride then ice skate then do a animal trivia before sampling the entire buffet while learning how to towel animals then rush off to a musical show while checking your bingo numbers before ordering pizza and staying up late listening to the waves while flicking through the movie channels trying to write a next day plan....then so be it as well.

Edited by Velvetwater

You are WAAAAAY overthinking your vacation. That's all this is...a vacation! Don't try to do everything....as most things are NOT important! Do what YOU want to do...that's it! This is supposed to be "down time"...it's not a freaking marathon!

That's the beauty of a cruise vacation - can schedule as little or as much as you want!! Don't rush to see or do everything at once especially shows - you can always catch another later in the week.

If its truly overwhelming, do what I do and write a schedule / Itinerary with the port time arrivals / departures, then fill in with your gym routine and meal times also possibly entertainment shows. And then you'll see your free time to schedule other activities like relaxing.:)

If you want to flowride then ice skate then do a animal trivia before sampling the entire buffet while learning how to towel animals then rush off to a musical show while checking your bingo numbers before ordering pizza and staying up late listening to the waves while flicking through the movie channels trying to write a next day plan....then so be it as well.

I'm exhausted just from reading that! ;) :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I'm pretty much the same, OCD about planning. I plan the heck out of certain things (shore excursions, spa appointments, flights, hotels, layovers, etc) and have learned when to just leave things loose and roll with the punches.

Sounds like you're going to have to practice a lot to get vacationing right ;)

Good luck!

Edited by FawnRiver
correction

Put down that rock! A friend explained that when we feel like we should be doing more we are burdening ourselves unnecessarily. i.e sleeping in but feeling guilty because not lounging by pool yet and the sun is shining! or on an excursion and feeling like getting back on the ship cause you paid so darn much for it and want to get money's worth. Those feelings are like lugging a rock around all day. So as my friend says: put down that rock and cut yourself some slack. There is no perfect vacation so relax and it will be a great one.