Oceania Insignia vs HAL Rotterdam

brazilgirl

am considering two similar itineraries and would like any comments or thoughts about the strengths/ weaknesses of each option.

If we were to book the Rotterdam option , we would choose a Neptune Suite. The Insignia would most likely be a Penthouse , which seems to actually be more like a Verandah Stateroom.

The Rotterdam Itinerary:

DayDatePortArriveDepart

002 Jul 2016Rotterdam, The Netherlands04:00 PM

103 Jul 2016At Sea

204 Jul 2016Bergen, Norway08:00 AM05:00 PM

305 Jul 2016Lerwick, Shetland Islands, United Kingdom TR08:00 AM04:00 PM

406 Jul 2016At Sea

507 Jul 2016Scenic cruising Eyjafjordur CO

507 Jul 2016Akureyri, Iceland10:00 AM06:00 PM

608 Jul 2016Isafjordur, Iceland TR08:00 AM05:00 PM

608 Jul 2016Scenic Cruising Isafjardurdjur CO

709 Jul 2016Reykjavik, Iceland ON08:00 AM

810 Jul 2016Reykjavik, Iceland05:00 PM

911 Jul 2016At Sea

1012 Jul 2016Cruising Prince Christian Sund CO

1113 Jul 2016Qaqortoq, Greenland TR08:00 AM05:00 PM

1214 Jul 2016Nanortalik, Greenland TR07:00 AM02:00 PM

1315 Jul 2016At Sea

1416 Jul 2016St Johns, Newfoundland, CanadaNoon08:00 PM

1517 Jul 2016At Sea

1618 Jul 2016Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada08:00 AM04:00 PM

1719 Jul 2016At Sea

1820 Jul 2016Boston, Massachusetts, US

The Insignia :

Jul 1FriMiami, FloridaEmbark 1 PM7 PM

Jul 2SatPort Canaveral, Florida7 AM4 PM

Jul 3SunCharleston, South Carolina10 AM6 PM

Jul 4MonCruising the Atlantic Ocean

Jul 5TueNew York, New York9 AM11 PM

Jul 6WedCruising the Atlantic Ocean

Jul 7ThuBar Harbor, Maine 8 AM8 PM

Jul 8FriSaint John (Bay of Fundy), Canada8 AM3 PM

Jul 9SatHalifax, Canada10 AM8 PM

Jul 10SunCruising the Atlantic Ocean

Jul 11MonSt. John's, Canada8 AM4 PM

Jul 12TueCruising the Atlantic Ocean

Jul 13WedCruising the Atlantic Ocean

Jul 14ThuNuuk, Greenland 9 AM7 PM

Jul 15FriPaamiut, Greenland 8 AM6 PM

Jul 16SatQaqortoq, Greenland 8 AM6 PM

Jul 17SunCruising Prince Christian Sound

Jul 18MonCruising the Denmark Strait

Jul 19TueReykjavik, Iceland

I much appreciate any input.

Kim

Depends on the size of ship & amenities that suit your wants/needs

Rotterdam is twice the size of the Insignia so of course the cabins will be larger

If a spacious cabin is what you want then go with HAL or upgrade to a VS on Oceania

Itineraries

Pick the one that goes to the most ports that you are interested in

Only you know what will work best for you

Thank you for the comments!

Maybe some more specific question.

I have never really considered Greenland. My focus was to look for a cruse that included Iceland. Is Greenland interesting? Has anyone ever done a land tour of Iceland and if so , any comments ( if we choose the insignia , that would be our option).

I see that the Insignia got a makeover after being chartered for a few years. What is the scoop on the ship. The reviews in the CC review section are rather poor , but they seem to be older reviews.

Are there any veranda staterooms which have extended balconies?

What is Bar Harbor like? On the Insignia ,St. John's is listed twice. Once as the St John's/ Bay of Fundy and once , just as St. John's. What is the difference? Any ideas?

Thank you!

Are there any veranda staterooms which have extended balconies?

What is Bar Harbor like? On the Insignia ,St. John's is listed twice. Once as the St John's/ Bay of Fundy and once , just as St. John's. What is the difference? Any ideas?

Thank you!

The only extended balconies I can think of are the aft & bow ones

I have not been in them so maybe someone will comment

Saint John (Bay of Fundy) is in New Brunswick Canada

St John's Newfoundland, Canada

Yes quite different ... look up both on google for the tourism sites

There should be some photo of the new refit on the Oceania blog check their website for the link

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn

Itinerary -- agree - pick the one you are most interested in. Insignia has more of a USA/Canada and the Rotterdam spends more time in Iceland. You can spend a few days in Iceland at the end of Insignia (as we are doing on our upcoming Silversea cruise). We also have spend 1 day in Reykjavik plus Akureyi on Nautica. They were nice - but a land tour at end is always an alternative. Greenland was OK - mostly scenic. You Tube video has some scenic pics of both in the middle of the video.

Ship - the ships are totally different in size and food is 100% better on Insignia. Entertainment and enrichment go to HAL. Shore excursions are cheaper on HAL - but we tend to do private tours.

We did Nautica after the refit. Rooms are very nicely redone. The PH is smaller than a Neptune suite. They are closer to a Rotterdam Veranda. But you will have a butler which is nice.

Have not been on the Rottendam (my name for it) in 4 years. It was our last (and final) HAL cruise. We were in a Neptune also. Carpets were stained and furniture was worn. It was right after they modified her and modified the rooms on the promenade deck (having and outside door). The aft had a prevalent sewage smell and that was enough to turn anyone off from taking another cruise again (therefore the name Rottendam). Not to bash HAL but it is now more of a mass market line changed since Carnival purchased them. (they would have gone out of business without the purchase).

It doesn't look like your question about Bar Harbor was addressed.

Bar Harbor is a charming small town with some interesting shopping. (I don't necessarily mean expensive. We were looking for some things we needed that we'd forgotten to bring along with us rather than looking for souvenirs or special items.)

It's most known for its access to Acadia National Park which cannot really be seen in a day but is well worth seeing if you haven't been there before.

Mura

It doesn't look like your question about Bar Harbor was addressed.

Bar Harbor is a charming small town with some interesting shopping. (I don't necessarily mean expensive. We were looking for some things we needed that we'd forgotten to bring along with us rather than looking for souvenirs or special items.)

It's most known for its access to Acadia National Park which cannot really be seen in a day but is well worth seeing if you haven't been there before.

Mura

Acadia is beautiful! born in Maine and one of my favorite places on earth!

BUT don't forget the LOBSTER! :D:D

Ohhh , this itinerary is looking more and more tempting. PaulMCO , the video is wonderful . The Rottendam sounds worrisome. I will have to read more about the ship.

Thanks for all the information. It has been very helpful.

I think the HAL itinerary is superior with its focus on Iceland, Greenland and scenic cruising through several fjords. We've actually sailed Rotterdam in a Neptune Suite through the Black Sea/Med and it was a favorite cruise for us. But that was "back in the day" when HAL was more of a premium line. Now the HAL experience is simply sub par on so many levels - cleanliness, accommodation, food, atmosphere - such that they're no longer on our radar. It would take an absolutely one-of-a-kind spectacular itinerary for us to sail HAL now. Having a Neptune Suite does make things somewhat better, but it doesn't dramatically change the overall experience.

The Oceania itinerary seems to be more of a Canada/NE/Repositioning cruise with a touch of Greenland. There is very little Iceland other than disembarkation, which does offer a land extension possibility. Is that what you want? If so, go for Insignia. We're actually doing a similar cruise this summer on Insignia. The itinerary is somewhat unique with a little Canada/NE at the front end and then a lot of Iceland/Greenland and Norway. Our cruise ends in Southampton and we're flying back to Reykjavik to spend a few days post-cruise.

As another option, have you considered Seabourn? This year they offered a fabulous Route of the Vikings which would combine the best of the HAL itinerary with the more refined Oceania experience. It prices out similar to a Neptune on Rotterdam and a PH on Insignia, but Seabourn is all inclusive.

PaulMCO - fabulous video of your Nautica cruise. Great score on those puffins!

Seabourn is most certainly an option we would consider. However , I haven't found a similar itinerary in the July 2016 timeframe. Since these are longer cruises , I would need to sail during this time period , as I am a teacher.

We would do post cruise land stay in Iceland if we opt for Oceania , even it is only for a couple of days.

We have never been to Canada nor to the NE of the USA. Actually , our first visit will be to DC in the coming December. We have , on the other hand , been to Bergen and to Lerwick ( both of which we loved). Hard decision!

Brazilgirl,

I agree with Mighty Quinn....we used to sail HAL (5 cruises) and we, too, moved on....to Celebrity and Azamara. Now, we are trying our first cruise on O...soon!

I am originally from the NE and have been to the Canadian provinces quite a few times and am about to try some new stops in Canada on O cruise (Marina repositioning). Those stops in NE and Canada are worth seeing!

On the face of it, that HAL itinerary is nice, BUT....I personally would not sail with HAL again....even in a Neptune suite, which we have done in the past. For the money, I'd rather try to find an itinerary I liked on another line. With the O itinerary, you can stay a few days in Iceland after the cruise and make the most of it......plus see some other ports, like Bar Harbor and Halifax....another favorite of mine! And eat great seafood along the way!

With O, you will get comfortable surroundings and good food.....based on all the reports I have read.....I hope to be Able to verify that for myself soon! hope this helps!

P.S. Charleston, SC is great, too, and has lots of historical significance in US history!!

Edited by takemewithyou

Takemewithyou....

Charleston has been on my bucket list for a long time! O does sound just wonderful. I will look forward to hearing about your cruise.

A question for you that have been to Greenland....can we expect to see Artic wildlife? Whales , caribou , even a Polar bear? I am researching and having a hard time getting info about what to expect as far as cruise visits. Expedition ships obviously would be a different experience.

Takemewithyou....

Charleston has been on my bucket list for a long time! O does sound just wonderful. I will look forward to hearing about your cruise.

A question for you that have been to Greenland....can we expect to see Artic wildlife? Whales , caribou , even a Polar bear? I am researching and having a hard time getting info about what to expect as far as cruise visits. Expedition ships obviously would be a different experience.

I'm booked on a Greenland private tour with Blue Ice Explorer, we will see Twin Glaciers, passing by bird cliffs. I don't see any wildlife mentioned in their tour descriptions. Google Blue ice Explorer.