Tipping on Windstar

confused123

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This sounds like the stereotype of US tourists ruining it for everybody else by over-tipping.  If the staff have come to 'expect' it, 'included' no longer means 'included.'

I am only assuming they have, that is why I was asking.  Please don't group me with the average "US Tourist".  I am a world traveler that would just like to know what the Windstar staff expects, or appreciates.   I have never sailed Windstar, that is why I am asking.  I have traveled over 20+ times to Japan, which is a non-tipping culture.  It is beautiful what the Japanese people do, such pride when they serve others, tipping would be such an offense.  

• Like 3

Because I tend to be generous and appreciate good service and kindness I truly resent being categorized in being a typical tourist. I often get that attitude because we like to cruise on the Wind Surf. We cruise on the Surf because we love sailing and being on the water. We do not like driving. We are not group tour people, my interests are different. On WS, since 1999, we always leave  a thank you with money  in it for the cabin service, if we have a person who repeatedly has gone out of their way with kindness either bar, table servers we hand them a tip and a thank you note at the end of the trip, for the Yacht Club people who make our lattes every morning twice, we leave a thank you and an envelop to share. At no time ever have we ever felt people expect that from us. How ridiculous to even imply that. It is reciprocal kindness, people appreciating people. 

I have found recently on Wind Surf they mix the servers up more, you are not as likely to have the same people all the time. There is a daily gratuities charge on your ship board account. Happy Sailing

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This sounds like the stereotype of US tourists ruining it for everybody else by over-tipping.  If the staff have come to 'expect' it, 'included' no longer means 'included.'

Coming from a host, not a very friendly reply.

If you don't want to tip extra, then don't.  Tipping extra is of a personal nature.  We always consider automatic gratuity as part of the crewmembers base wage.

We are glad to provide extra for those who make our trip special. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can’t remember if Windstar has a crew welfare fund that is used for their social events and morale boosting. I know I have contributed to that type of fund at the end of a  cruise but I can’t remember if that was on Windstar, Azamara, or Holland America. 

Something I always do is submit compliments about the stateroom attendant and any other waiter or group that have been particularly helpful. It can make a difference when their contract is up for renewal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schmidlapp said:

If you don't want to tip extra, then don't.  Tipping extra is of a personal nature.  We always consider automatic gratuity as part of the crewmembers base wage.

My point is that it's not just a personal decision.  Many locals are very upset with Americans coming to their country and raising expectations about tipping levels.  My comment quoted 

16 hours ago, SeaDayLvr said:

From reading this thread that appears to be what others do too.  I assume then the staff must expect it?

That's exactly the dynamic I'm talking about.  "Personal decisions" become expectations.

• Like 4

We just returned from 21fabulous days in FP,  eighteenth on WS. $29 per day automatically charged is what we consider thanks for the good service we expect.

We tipped three others, a great room guy, a waiter who took care of us and the 

maitre de. All service was good, theirs was exceptional

• Thanks 1

We're talking about a cruise ship with very low paid crew, not a European restaurant where there is already a cover and many times an additional service charge.  Wait staff in Europe get a higher base wage than staff in the US as well.

On cruise ships that add auto gratuity, it's their way of charging a lower base fare and then adding what is called daily gratuity on at the end. It's a marketing ploy.

Host Jazzbeau, I wasn't trying to encourage you or

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Many locals are very upset with Americans coming to their country and raising expectations about tipping levels

anyone to tip extra.  Please don't try to discourage me from tipping the crew by your commentary.

I can only assume you cruise "incognito". 

We have traveled the world, we are trilingual, we lived in Europe, my husband is not an American and  I am a talker, I talk to anyone because I love interaction and to learn. When I am in a country where I can converse in the language of the country, I speak only that language,  always unless the person requests one of the other 2 languages I speak to learn. I have never, ever heard of local being upset over a friend, family member or person on the street receiving a lovely tip for doing a good job. 

Generosity is something I am proud of. By the way are not wealthy either. Happy Sailing  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MNgardens said:

I can’t remember if Windstar has a crew welfare fund that is used for their social events and morale boosting. I know I have contributed to that type of fund at the end of a  cruise but I can’t remember if that was on Windstar, Azamara, or Holland America. 

Something I always do is submit compliments about the stateroom attendant and any other waiter or group that have been particularly helpful. It can make a difference when their contract is up for renewal. 

Windstar does and we do it all the time.  Only way to do something for the guys who wash pots and clean your clothes.  Otherwise, the front of the house staff who just do their job but smile a lot and gush over you get everything.

2 hours ago, Barrycat said:

We just returned from 21fabulous days in FP,  eighteenth on WS. $29 per day automatically charged is what we consider thanks for the good service we expect.

We tipped three others, a great room guy, a waiter who took care of us and the 

maitre de. All service was good, theirs was exceptional

I'm always curious as to what is "exceptional" or, as some say, "above and beyond."

6 hours ago, schmidlapp said:

I consider my cruise fare as paying everyone's "base wage" and the $29/day additional charged to my account as the crew's gratuities.  Then I make a generous contribution to the crew welfare fund so that all crew members benefit, not just the ones that I see on deck.  The guys who work the tenders and varnish the railings and prepare the chocolate pots make my cruise "special" as much as the waiters and room stewards that some are so anxious to tip.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MNgardens said:

Do you recall if excess on board credit from a travel agent or American Express can be used as part of the donation?

Too long ago to remember.  On Azamara it came from TA OBC.  May not matter.  If you don't spend the TA OBC it should be refunded to your credit card or as cash.

Smiling at you and making your bed is not above and beyond obviously that’s what’s covered by your $29 regular fee

You compare above and beyond to exceptional service I disagree

Above and beyond service is nice exceptional service is that service which deserves the extra tip

This is become an exceptionally silly conversation though

• 5 months later...

About to go ok Windstar for the first time after only having sailed on Seabourn where tipping is discouraged. I plan to play it by ear and if some aspect of service “wows” me I’ll be compelled to leave a tip, and if not then I won’t. I’m more in the boat of crew fund so all can benefit because a lot goes into the experience beyond the front line employees. I think people should do what feels right to them. This is not the vacationers problem, if staff is “suffering” then it’s a Windstar management issue to figure out. 

And agree with others, the tone from Host on America-shaming many of us is not very attractive and I would guess a poor representation of his countries hospitality. 

• Thanks 1

I am confused (not an unusual occurrence).  I was looking at WS cruises in the Caribbean in late 2023 and saw that there is a daily gratuity of $89/per guest.  That seems excessive IMO.  $29 pre-day per guest seems more reasonable, as mentioned above.  So, what is it, $29 or $89?  I don't think I misread the something on the WS website.  

Thanks, Bill

1 hour ago, ssawjo said:

I am confused (not an unusual occurrence).  I was looking at WS cruises in the Caribbean in late 2023 and saw that there is a daily gratuity of $89/per guest.  That seems excessive IMO.  $29 pre-day per guest seems more reasonable, as mentioned above.  So, what is it, $29 or $89?  I don't think I misread the something on the WS website.  

Thanks, Bill

The "hotel service charge" (Windstar's name for the automatic gratuity) is currently $16 per day per person. I think it used to be $14.50 so people mentioning $29 are giving the old amount per couple. There is also an 18% gratuity on drinks.

https://www.windstarcruises.com/voyage-plan/general-information/#HotelServiceCharge

$89 is the daily per person charge for the All-In package which includes the beverage package, internet and gratuities if the package is bought pre-cruise; $99 if bought on board.

Edited by new_cruiser
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 3:59 PM, new_cruiser said:

The "hotel service charge" (Windstar's name for the automatic gratuity) is currently $16 per day per person. I think it used to be $14.50 so people mentioning $29 are giving the old amount per couple. There is also an 18% gratuity on drinks.

https://www.windstarcruises.com/voyage-plan/general-information/#HotelServiceCharge

$89 is the daily per person charge for the All-In package which includes the beverage package, internet and gratuities if the package is bought pre-cruise; $99 if bought on board.

Thank you for the clarification.

We recently competed our first WS cruise on the Legend. When we booked, the AI package was included in our fare. We found all of the service very good, but our cabin steward did go above and beyond in helping with a couple of issues. We tipped him extra but since the dining staff and staff at the pool were usually different people waiting on us, we did not tip extra to any of them. 

IMO everyone should do what they feel is right. Tip or don't tip. Up to you.

• Like 1