The REAL problem with RCI food and service

The REAL cost of cruising hasn't gotten cheaper, it's that less is included.

I've read here on C.C. that soda was included in the price of the cruise back in 2000. In 2008-present, you have to buy a soda package or by the can.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Food, price, quality, and overall cruise experience is subjective. While one person may feel they are getting good quality for a fair price, another person may feel quality is lacking because of a low price while another may feel the price is too high for the quality they are receiving.

Perhaps in 2000, there was some special promotion where sodas were included. I have never known that to be the case. Even back when we cruised on the Majesty for our honeymoon in 1995- you had to buy a soda package or pay for sodas separately. I have never known sodas to be included in the fare.

I agree that food, price, quality and overall cruise experience is subjective. There are certain things I am willing to pay for, and others I am not. It is all about where the individual cruiser is willing to spend their money. You can pay the basic fare and have a decent cruise anyhow. From there, you just have to start determining your own priorities.

So far, we've found the MDR food on RCI to be pretty good, at least by our standards.

Maybe we are easy to please.

Last year for our 40th anniversary we went to a very upscale restaurant. We were disappointed. I know the more you pay for dinner the smaller the portions, but this was nuts, and the service wasn't 'top notch'; when we asked why it was taking so long to be served (and we love talking to each other -- but we did come for dinner, not midnight snack) we were told that the kitchen was unusually busy for a THURSDAY night.

Glad we had a coupon to reduce the cost.

We have not been back and don't intend to go back.

So NO you are not just easily pleased....we have found 99% of the time, things in the MDR just fine! Whatever small item is not fine, we speak to the waiter about, and it get resolved.

I've been thinking for a bit now and reflecting on past cruises going back 15 years. The service was attentive the food so much better with fantastic selections. Anyone who has cruised for a long time would agree things have slipped I'm sure. So why has it happened? I believe we have only ourselves to blame. RCL is playing a game and we've been dialled into it, unwittingly.

When you dine in the MDR you are always approached near the end of the cruise by your waiter and given the talk about ratings and how if you rate the dining room food or service low, it reflects on him. It could cost him money or worse. At this point he or she has learned a bit about you, knows you by name maybe has asked about where you're from, maybe how many kids you have etc. You've grown to like him. Likewise, you've learned a bit about him and where he's from.

You get home, generally happy with the cruise and bingo - there's your survey. You think for a minute. Here's your chance to tell RCL what you really think. If you're like me, you thought twice about that. On our Indy cruise in March I found the food quality had slipped enough to be rated on the same scale as Carnival. There were two complete misses on the 8 nights with cold seafood and overcooked steaks followed by cold steaks. The waiter knew the food was not acceptable, we didn't even need to mention it. The MTD was another issue as well. Poorly organized, it resulted in several issues for diners throughout the week, including us.

So what did I do? Did I mention any of that in my on line review? No. I bet many of you wouldn't either. I didn't want to cause a problem for my waiter - a problem that may cost him money or worse, his job. He was a very nice guy who worked his butt off but unless he's a magician, he can't make up for shortcomings in areas that he has no control over. He didn't cook the food. He didn't give away a reservation time to someone else because that party showed up 30 minutes prior and promised to eat quick and leave. He didn't keep us waiting outside for 45 minutes while that party who promised to eat and run, sat and enjoyed a nice conversation with after dinner drinks. None of that was my waiter's fault, yet if I give the MDR a bad review - he pays the price for it.

Its a game that RCL is playing in order to fool themselves and I played right along. Well, that's not going to happen again. From now on if there are issues in the MDR I'm going to make note of it on my review. I will go out of my way to praise the waiter if they did their best. RCL needs to hear the truth, so no more sugar coating stuff from me anymore.

Well uh OK...:rolleyes:

Back on my last RCL cruise in 2001 there was no such thing as specialty restaurants. The MDR was great. We plan on sticking to the MDR on our allure cruise. My one worry is that they let the 'included' dining room and service slip to force you to pay extra for the specialty restaurants. Guess we'll see when we go.

Back on my last RCL cruise in 2001 there was no such thing as specialty restaurants. The MDR was great. We plan on sticking to the MDR on our allure cruise. My one worry is that they let the 'included' dining room and service slip to force you to pay extra for the specialty restaurants. Guess we'll see when we go.

We have had many a good dinner in the MDR over all of our cruises....the only specialty restaurant we have gone to is Izumi, when we cruised on Allure last summer.

We enjoy sushi and it isn't on the regular menu, so off to Izumi we went and enjoyed it tremendously...We go out for sushi at home once every other week, so we enjoyed it on the ship. Great value and wonderful food.

I'm with you on that, but I do know that some people like to put together vacation scrapbooks and would like having that. I don't think it has mass appeal, but probably would be a nice extra to a fraction of the cruisers. I think we got a full list of the passenger names on our first cruise, which was sort of interesting, but would have some people howling about privacy, if they still did that. ;) Parts of the "old days" they just couldn't go back to, if they wanted.

I don't scrapbook or save a lot of ephemera, and whether these things constitute added value or not to you is your own call. So, maybe you don't care about strolling musicians, and sorbet, keepsakes, or a parade of special desserts. That's fine. But they all did used to exist. I did not go on and on with adjectives trumping up what they used to do to romanticize it, just plain and simple what they used to do was XYZ and they no longer do it. It is all part of the service and atmosphere.

Food tastes are subjective but I really do feel like quality and presentation used to be of a higher standard. They did not have multiple restaurant options to compete against each other, and as such some of what is accepted as standard for a specialty pay venue was pretty much what was standard MDR fare.

The cruise line stopped making the effort years ago and isn't really doing their part to make it a special occasion anymore; how could they possibly do so when they have the optional pay for venues to fill. Formal night is a pretty standard menu offering with roaming photographers. I feel bad for the staff; they are not equipped to provide service like they used to. That is a corporate decision. The head waiter or Maitre D' can't really do too much about it. They work with the team they are provided.

Sorry Lucruise you are absolutely right. The introduction of specialty restaurants had a major negative effect of the quality of MDR food. While the food in the MDR is fine it's not what I'm looking for or satisfied with. I think we are going to see further downgrades of the product in the future.

I think of it as a romanticized version, because I cruised back in the day, too, and that's not how it was for me.
Of course it is a romanticized version, simply because it is different today and not the "same as it was". Some things are better, some no longer exist and some things are different.....K.O.:)

You can RATE the waiter for what they had control over and make COMMENTS on the things that the waiter had NO control over. It isn't that difficult.

I can't hold responsible the waiter for the cooking in the kitchen, he is the deliverer not the preparer.

Makes complete sense but pay attention to what the waiter says when he reviews the rating system with you. He tells you that HE is responsible for the food and service in the MDR. If there is something wrong and if a bad rating is given on the food or service in the MDR on your post cruise survey, he's the one that answers for it.

So RCI paints the cruiser into a corner and its my contention that they do it on purpose. This is a way to decrease quality and still pretend that everything is good, when it isn't. If they wanted a true answer then they'd have a few of the Chefs circulate in the MDR at some point and ask how the food is. The post cruise survey would have two distinct sections - one to rate your wait staff and another to rate your chefs.

Makes complete sense but pay attention to what the waiter says when he reviews the rating system with you. He tells you that HE is responsible for the food and service in the MDR. If there is something wrong and if a bad rating is given on the food or service in the MDR on your post cruise survey, he's the one that answers for it.

So RCI paints the cruiser into a corner and its my contention that they do it on purpose. This is a way to decrease quality and still pretend that everything is good, when it isn't. If they wanted a true answer then they'd have a few of the Chefs circulate in the MDR at some point and ask how the food is. The post cruise survey would have two distinct sections - one to rate your wait staff and another to rate your chefs.

At any time a cruiser can request to speak to the Head of Food and Beverage services onboard a ship or the Executive Chef even. If someone is having such a big issue with the quality of the food don't even WAIT until the survey issue -- take it to the person on the ship that can give you some explanations or resolutions -- that cruiser won't even have to worry about putting the waiter in an awkward position.

I met with the Head Chef, when I fell in love with the Tiramisu. I have never liked it before then, and have had it a few times since, but was not as impressed. Now I look forward to it when I cruise.....believe me, he found it interesting when I told him....I also told him I loved their chocolate chip cookies....he said they have a secret ingredient.....that makes them even better than Nestles. I told him, I was fine with that as long as it wasn't sea water. He laughed.

At any time a cruiser can request to speak to the Head of Food and Beverage services onboard a ship or the Executive Chef even. If someone is having such a big issue with the quality of the food don't even WAIT until the survey issue -- take it to the person on the ship that can give you some explanations or resolutions -- that cruiser won't even have to worry about putting the waiter in an awkward position.

The point I was trying to make is that quality of food has decreased. Not bad enough that I'd complain. In fact I hate complaining when I'm on vacation. All I would like to see is a meaningful survey that provides RCI with the proper feedback about the proper people. The way it is now, the chefs could turn out complete garbage and its the poor waiters who have to answer for it. If I get a poorly cooked steak or cold seafood its the chefs who should be answering to it not the waiters.

The point I was trying to make is that quality of food has decreased. Not bad enough that I'd complain. In fact I hate complaining when I'm on vacation. All I would like to see is a meaningful survey that provides RCI with the proper feedback about the proper people. The way it is now, the chefs could turn out complete garbage and its the poor waiters who have to answer for it. If I get a poorly cooked steak or cold seafood its the chefs who should be answering to it not the waiters.

Agreed. If the foods a 6 out of 10...I'm not asking for the chef. I find that a bit extreme. However the wait staff shouldn't be dinged for food quality. If RCI really wanted to know how people liked the food they'd stop the begging waiter routine and ask a more honest question.

One of of the problems that people seem to overlook is that the Main Dining Room is a Dining Room. Not a restaurant. When you have a dining room at home, dinner is at a set time. It makes it easier on the cook (your mom) and the servers (generally your mom and possibly the kids). You don't tell your hostess that although dinner is scheduled for 6PM in the dining room, that you will eat at 5:30 or 7:30 because that's when you want to eat. Dinner is served - sit down and eat it. The main dining room is kind of like that. Now you have hundreds of people demanding their own time to eat, since 6 or 8 pm isn't good enough for them. Of course the cooks and waitstaff are going to be going nuts. Service is going to decline, food will be cold since everyone is on a different timetable. Personally I think MTD is a ridiculous concept considering the volume of people that dine on any of the ships between 6 and 9 pm. RCL got itself into this mess, and the complaints continue to pile on.

I've always enjoyed a leisurely dinner in the dining room. What else would I have scheduled that I have to leave urgently for, if dinner takes more than an hour. My husband and I have always had great table companions, met some very interesting people and I've never had a problem with the table service.

Just got off the Serenade April 11. The food at dinner in the MDR was great all week long. Also never dealt with such an amazingly friendly crew.

The only mediocre food we had all week was the cookout on Cococay.

All in all a great week on the Serenade.

And for the record I have cruised on different lines over 40 times.

One of of the problems that people seem to overlook is that the Main Dining Room is a Dining Room. Not a restaurant. When you have a dining room at home, dinner is at a set time. It makes it easier on the cook (your mom) and the servers (generally your mom and possibly the kids). You don't tell your hostess that although dinner is scheduled for 6PM in the dining room, that you will eat at 5:30 or 7:30 because that's when you want to eat. Dinner is served - sit down and eat it. The main dining room is kind of like that. Now you have hundreds of people demanding their own time to eat, since 6 or 8 pm isn't good enough for them. Of course the cooks and waitstaff are going to be going nuts. Service is going to decline, food will be cold since everyone is on a different timetable. Personally I think MTD is a ridiculous concept considering the volume of people that dine on any of the ships between 6 and 9 pm. RCL got itself into this mess, and the complaints continue to pile on.

I've always enjoyed a leisurely dinner in the dining room. What else would I have scheduled that I have to leave urgently for, if dinner takes more than an hour. My husband and I have always had great table companions, met some very interesting people and I've never had a problem with the table service.

And that makes another point. NCL has the mtd down pat. RCL needs to make up their minds. Go mtd or do traditional. Stop trying to be half pregnant.

I got off Freedom yesterday morning.

We got the canned speech about the survey on Thursday or Friday-"If we don't get a 10 they keep some of our money".

If this is in fact the way things happen, I guess that is RCI's prerogative. Here is the inherent problem with it, though.

You are forcing guests to be billed for gratuities. Sure you can go and have them removed, but most people won't do that. The implication is that the gratuity is compensation for services rendered, not a conventional "tip". The "suggested" amount is not a suggestion-it is what you are charged unless you make a conscious effort to stop it. People can't be trusted to do the right thing and cruise lines basically require us to pay their employees for them.

The system is inherently flawed and has been since the switch to a "suggested" gratuity that is anything but. We used to budget for tips and leave that money alone in the safe, and then decide what to do on the last sea day. We never stiffed anybody, and we were in control. That's gone forever.

I have only taken three cruises, all on Princess, but I can tell you we never once were given a spiel by our waiter in the dining room about anything. I would not be very pleased if we had. I would be annoyed and insulted if we did. We plan on cruising Royal in the future. I expect good service in the dining room, and tip well for it. I dont think there is ever a time the waiter should be telling his "captive audience" what will happen to him if they dont give good ratings. What kind of nonsense is that?

He tells you that HE is responsible for the food and service in the MDR. If there is something wrong and if a bad rating is given on the food or service in the MDR on your post cruise survey, he's the one that answers for it. .

You are so correct on this.

Yes the Waiter IS responsible for the food.

Why ? Well if he is doing his job correctly, he should be asking you if you are enjoying yiour meal.

He should notice if the plate is still full or empty at the finish.

And he should inform the head waiter if an "Issue" is going to be had with a particular table.

Thats what the Waiter is responsible for.

Bless them, they are so so cute.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
lynn loves waiters. They are Yummy

I recently returned from my first RC cruise in 17 years and took a lot of care with my ratings and comments. I truly thought our waiter and assistant waiter were top notch and rated them as such. I also mentioned them by name. I would never think that rating the food poorly would reflect on the waitstaff--they are not the ones cooking it! They are only bringing it. The waiters we had on this last cruise were great about telling us what was good (and not so good) on any given night. I found it wise to heed their advice. Several times family members didn't, and found that they should have! :rolleyes: And then one of our wonderful waiters, Desmond and Cany (on the Adventure of the Seas) went and got a substitute menu item for the bad one.

My first RC cruise (and first cruise) was almost 21 years ago on the Sun Viking. There were no free drinks at boarding, but we did have chocolates on the pillow and towel animals every night back then.

We have found that the food quality has gone down significantly during those two decades. Certainly, it is because people expect more for their cruise dollar (but to pay less for that cruise) and the cruise lines are pressured to make due with less, so things get cut, or they use a cheaper cut of meat, eliminate a menu item that is too expensive to make, etc.

My first RC cruise (and first cruise) was almost 21 years ago on the Sun Viking. .

The baby of the fleet.

How beautiful it was when we cruised in asia. Was it the late ninties ?

My memory is awful.

Great ship, with a fantastic crew and charming they were too.

Lynn cannot remember how many glasses of wine she has had . Hic

I think the solution is to not wait for the survey but take the issues to the Head Waiters, the Maitre di, or even higher while you are still on the ship.

iagree.gif

Several years ago we were on an RCI ship and my wife was served the alternate sirloin and it was terrible! Too tough and full of gristle.

We sent it back and got another one and it was the same.

We left and went to the Windjammer for dinner.

The next night the same thing, a terrible sirloin so we called the Head waiter over. He tried to fix it but all three replacements were just as bad. He was embarrassed and sent us to Chops for a free dinner.

The next night he came over to our table as soon as we were seated and told us that the sirloins were from a new vendor and that they were all bad and that they would not serve any more of them on this cruise. He said the problem had been discussed at the Captain's officers call. He also said the Hotel Director had contacted the home office and advised them of the problem and the vendor's contract had been cancelled.

The Morale of this story is to complain your way up the chain of command, firmly and politely.

The next night he came over to our table as soon as we were seated and told us that the sirloins were from a new vendor and that they were all bad and that they would not serve any more of them on this cruise. He said the problem had been discussed at the Captain's officers call. He also said the Hotel Director had contacted the home office and advised them of the problem and the vendor's contract had been cancelled..

I believe that you have told this story in good faith, and am sorry to say that I do not believe for one minute, that this issue was resolved in this way in one day.

Think about it.

Lynn knows about these things. FACT

I believe that you have told this story in good faith, and am sorry to say that I do not believe for one minute, that this issue was resolved in this way in one day.

Think about it.

Why not? If a vendor supplies a poor quality product, and possibly to more than one ship it can come to an end and quickly. Just think about how much poor quality product this one vendor could supply to RC, in one week, just in Port Everglades and Miami. That doesn't include the fact that the same vendor might supply Celeberty as well, adding to the volume discount when it comes to purchasing. Each hotel director would be complaining to HO, and if it is that poor across the fleet HO will get the message. When it comes to hundreds of thousands of dollars of meat alone they take this type of thing seriously.

Of course it took more than one day to get to that point. This new vendor is more apt to be more than one week and less than a month. They would have been given notice about the poor quality previously, and this was the final straw. Trainman was most likely told the short version.

We use Sysco for our food provider, and we have stopped using vendors within their umbrella due to lack of quality control or price increases. We still use the same provider, just a different vendor of a specific product. It can and does happen.