Copenhagen - Post Cruise

dee66

Hi,

We have 4 days after our Norway Fjords cruise ends in Copenhagen on 6/29. We are debating whether to spend time in the area, or fly to our connecting City of Paris and spend time there prior to returning back to USA.

Are there things to do in Copenhagen or side trips that would be worth doing. We will have our 9 year old son with us.

Thanks for any information.

Edited by dee66

Uhh I have lots and lots of suggestions, I will probably do it tomorrow as it is bedtime here in Denmark :D

Mr. Viking I have an unrelated question. Our cruise is ending in Copenhagen, Will it be a problem getting a taxi at the cruise terminal to take us to the airport for four people with all our luggage? And, will they accept a credit card as payment as we won't have local currency. What should the fare be to the airport?

Thank you very much, we are looking forward to seeing your beautiful city.

Edited by artvlay

Denmark is one of our favorite countries. We have visited twice and are considering a third visit. Both previous visits we traveled with our three children .

Copenhagen is very family friendly. Tivoli is absolutely delightful and our children loved it. I truly don't like amusement parks , but Tivoli is different. It is compact and visually stunning. And the children had loads of fun. Another huge hit with the kids is the Copenhagen Zoo. We have been to many zoos...but the show that the Polar bear put on trying to open a barrel of fish was unique and unforgettable. The lions were also quite memorable. Very nice zoo.

Nyhaven makes for a lovely stroll and there are yummy ice cream shops with waffle cones. Our kids loved Rosenborg Slot and the crown jewels and the beautiful surrounding park.

If you are more ambitious , you could follow our footsteps on what was one of our favorite trips ever. We rented a car in Copenhagen and then drove a few hours ( lovely drive ) , caught a ferry to the island of Æro and stayed in the most beautiful village on earth , Æroskobing. On the way to the ferry ,we stopped at Egeskov Castle , which has a maze , segways , a treehouse park , an old car museum and a gorgeous setting. http://www.egeskov.dk/en

On the island itself , we went to the beach , rode bikes , hunted for fossils , and saw a falconry show. Just wonderful. I want to go back.

We have traveled quite a lot with our kids and we all consider Denmark to be one of the best places ever.

Uhh I have lots and lots of suggestions, I will probably do it tomorrow as it is bedtime here in Denmark :D

Need some help.We are a family of 3, two of us elderly with walking issues. Would like to visit in Copenhagen the Tivoli and the two castles the rosenburg and amelionburg. We will spend in the city 4-5 hours.

a.How close by are each? Is it possible to walk? Which shall we do first?

b.Will only one castle be satisfactory?

c.Any other suggestions? no museums, no shopping please.

Thank you

If you travel frequently to Europe, then Copenhagen is an ok place to spend a few days. If this is the trip of a lifetime, or even a decade, and you haven't been to Paris, then I'd go to Paris.

If you do end up staying in Copenhagen, I second the Tivoli suggestion.

Tivoli has been suggested so I won´t go in detail with that one.

But what about the worlds oldest amusement park called Bakken.

Its located in the Jægersborg Dyrehave so just take the S-train line C to Klampenborg or the Øresundstog traiun towards Nivå that also stops at Klampenborg (the Helsingør train does not)

From Klampenborg station you either walk through the deergarden to Bakken or take a cosy horse carriage ride intead

And did I say that the entrance is free.

http://www.bakken.dk/english/bakken-the-worlds-oldest-amusement-park

Other free options are the Open Air Museum and Brede Works out in Sorgenfri located on the S-train E line to Holte.

http://en.natmus.dk/museums/the-open-air-museum/

http://en.natmus.dk/museums/brede-works/

The national museum is also free to visit.

http://en.natmus.dk/museums/the-national-museum-of-denmark/

Experimentarium should be fun for the kid

https://www.experimentarium.dk/index.php?id=1001

The Blue Planet aquarium.

http://www.denblaaplanet.dk/en/

Copenhagen Zoo

http://uk.zoo.dk/VisitZoo.aspx

The viking ship museum in Roskilde, jut take the Regionaltog or Intercity trains out of the central station and you are in Roskilde 25 minutes after.

Only "problem" is that Roskilde Festival is on at the same time so expect alot of people on the trains but perhaps you meet me as I´m volunteering as a festival guide at Roskilde station.

http://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/en/

Kronborg Castle (hamlets castle) and danish maritime museum in Helsingør.

Its just a 45 minute ride with the Øresundstog from the central station.

http://mfs.dk/en/

http://www.kronborg.dk/english/

And I could go on.

Mr. Viking I have an unrelated question. Our cruise is ending in Copenhagen, Will it be a problem getting a taxi at the cruise terminal to take us to the airport for four people with all our luggage? And, will they accept a credit card as payment as we won't have local currency. What should the fare be to the airport?

Thank you very much, we are looking forward to seeing your beautiful city.

I don´t know how long it takes to get a taxi but it should not be a problem

A factor could be how many ships that are in port that day, Do you have the date and the ships name because then I can look it up.

All taxi´s takes credit cards but ask the driver before leaving.

Need some help.We are a family of 3, two of us elderly with walking issues. Would like to visit in Copenhagen the Tivoli and the two castles the rosenburg and amelionburg. We will spend in the city 4-5 hours.

a.How close by are each? Is it possible to walk? Which shall we do first?

b.Will only one castle be satisfactory?

c.Any other suggestions? no museums, no shopping please.

Thank you

Amalienborg and Rosenborg is located close to each other but if you say you have walking issues then I would say Tivoli is to long a walk.

But take the train from the central station next to Tivoli and then to Nørreport station, from here you can walk to Rosenborg.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Tivoli,+Vesterbrogade+3,+1630+K%C3%B8benhavn/Rosenborg+Slot,+%C3%98ster+Voldgade,+K%C3%B8benhavn/Amalienborg,+Amalienborg+Slotsplads/@55.680214,12.5713567,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652531280f6eaf3:0xd9b50b0db50b27b0!2m2!1d12.568147!2d55.673684!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652531b429e531d:0x52359c3345281b3c!2m2!1d12.577269!2d55.685827!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525322363e0673:0x5cf17fab9d15553f!2m2!1d12.59302!2d55.684059!3e2

I forgot to say that we will be coming of a ship at the Lingeline ?? port. How far/ how do we get to the mentioned sites? Either Tivoli first then a taxi to the castles, or the castles first? In which case how far are they from the port, or should we take a taxi? Thanks

I would probably start with Tivoli as its located furthest away.

So bus 26 from the pier (indiakaj bus stop) to Tivoli (rådhuspladsen/town hall square bus stop).

As you haven´t provided me with much info about dates you´ll have to find the bus departures by yourself.

The bus stop closest to Langelinie is the Indiakaj bus stop.

Mandag Fredag is obviously Monday Friday

Lørdag is Saturday

Søn og Helligdage is Sun(day) and public holidays.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Timetable%20Resources/26-0026-260415.pdf

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Langeliniekaj+(Midt),+K%C3%B8benhavn/Indiakaj/@55.6968004,12.5967347,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252dda8e3b789:0x177c1078db48f2c3!2m2!1d12.600197!2d55.698501!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252de6ee8856f:0xeb0e221fb2acd1be!2m2!1d12.597887!2d55.695197

After Tivoli you just take any northbound train from the central station track 1-4 and 9-10.

One or two stops after that you are at Nørreport.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/N%C3%B8rreport+St./Rosenborg+Slot,+%C3%98ster+Voldgade,+K%C3%B8benhavn/Amalienborg,+Amalienborg+Slotsplads/Den+Lille+Havfrue,+Langelinie/Langeliniekaj+(Midt),+K%C3%B8benhavn/@55.6907923,12.5675526,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525305370af27f:0xdef60dfab68cef1a!2m2!1d12.571867!2d55.683522!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652531b429e531d:0x52359c3345281b3c!2m2!1d12.577269!2d55.685827!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525322363e0673:0x5cf17fab9d15553f!2m2!1d12.59302!2d55.684059!1m5!1m1!1s0x464c90eb8d422103:0xdfa8900ca2351e3c!2m2!1d12.599283!2d55.69286!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252dda8e3b789:0x177c1078db48f2c3!2m2!1d12.600197!2d55.698501!3e2

If you don´t want to walk back to the pier from Amalienborg you can find bus 26 here.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Amalienborg+Slotsplads/Borgergade+(K%C3%B8benhavn)/@55.6848055,12.5869817,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m11!4m10!1m3!2m2!1d12.5932156!2d55.6841483!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525319261d3123:0x7004cfc58aa45f9a!2m2!1d12.585846!2d55.685407

Both to Tivoli and back to the ship you pay 24 kroner for a single ticket.

Enough of that bulls..it, its a Zoo, not a Disney park.

The other solution would have been inbreed and would that have been better?

Look at the facilities of all the animals, especially the Elephant house they are very modern and they have lots of space to walk around.

Hi, We have 4 days after our Norway Fjords cruise ends in Copenhagen on 6/29. We are debating whether to spend time in the area, or fly to our connecting City of Paris and spend time there prior to returning back to USA. Are there things to do in Copenhagen or side trips that would be worth doing. We will have our 9 year old son with us. Thanks for any information.

Appreciate the great details and options posted by the very knowing Danish viking and others. Yes, Copenhagen is very wonderful and charming. BUT, Paris can be super spectacular, too. Much depends on your past Europe experiences, personal interests/style and interests for your nine-year-old son. Tell us more on your past travel background in Europe, your interests, style, etc.!!

For Copenhagen, below are a few examples of my visual "evidence" to prove as to why there is much to enjoy in and around Copenhagen. We do not know your son, but my sense is that he would enjoy the many water-related options, including the canal boat ride. Plus, the many and varied ship and water features, etc.

Tivoli at night is especially wonderful with its many lights, interesting architecture, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 176,408 views. Lots of interesting Copenhagen pictures on this thread.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Copenhagen's City Hall and its large Square are in the heart of the main downtown, near Tivoli and the central train station. Completed in 1905, it was designed in the "National Romantic" style with inspiration from the Siena City Hall. Dominated by its richly-ornamented front wth the gilded statue of Absalon just above the balcony, its tall, slim clock tower is 345.6 feet or 105.6 meters tall. It is one of the tallest buildings in Denmark.:

1-CPH-CityHall.jpg

Next to Copenhagen City Hall is the famous statue of Hans Christian Anderson. People like to take pictures of their children placed on the "lap" of this author. You can see the "wear" from the heavy use with this statue.:

CPNHansChrAndersonStat.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the current Royal Palace in Copenhagen. Amalienborg Slot includes four rococo-styled residences of Denmark’s royal family. This site includes a museum surrounding an octagonal cobblestone courtyard. You can witness the Royal guards walk from Rosenborg Castle to Amalienborg Palace for the Changing of the Guard daily at noon. Adult fee for museum about $13. For more info, see: ses.dk/amalienborg.:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

Copenhagen's canal views and going under a bridge. YES, doing this canal tour is a must-do to allow better views of the various historic buildings from a relaxing angle in this Royal city.:

1A-Copenh-CanalViews.jpg

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner. Walt Disney was inspired in 1950 to construct Disneyland after visiting this park in the heart of Copenhagen. Tivoli opened in 1843 and encompasses eight hectares with 1,000 trees and 400,000 summer flowers planted throughout the gardens. It boasts upwards of 40 restaurants, a Chinese-style pantomime theater, open-air concert stage, amusement park and Denmark’s longest salt-water aquarium. In the evening, the park is lighted up with Chinese lanterns, multi-colored lights, etc. That truly makes it a “Magic Kingdom” to make Disney happy. Website at: tivoligardens.com.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Your son would enjoy Tivoli Gardens, and might also like a canal ride through the city. I would not necessarily recommend the Experimentarium, as it is not as strong as others we have visited (the one in San Francisco was much better). It isn't near public transportation, and when we visited some of the experiments were missing crucial parts that were necessary for them to function. We arrived just as they were opening, so it seemed strange that things weren't working. My son had a good time there anyway, but if you live near one of these museums I'd recommend spending your time in Europe doing something else.

If you travel frequently to Europe, then Copenhagen is an ok place to spend a few days. If this is the trip of a lifetime, or even a decade, and you haven't been to Paris, then I'd go to Paris.

If you do end up staying in Copenhagen, I second the Tivoli suggestion.

I have been to both Paris and Copenhagen with my kids and they loved both cities . I would never call it an " okay" city. It is beautiful , the people are delightful , outstanding food and very kid-friendly.

I actually think Copenhagen is more kid friendly than Paris The things that an adult in Paris would appreciate probably would bore a 9 year old. Copenhagen is an enchanting city. If you think you will never ever have a chance to visit Paris then yes go for it. Otherwise there is always another time

I have been to both Paris and Copenhagen with my kids and they loved both cities . I would never call it an " okay" city. It is beautiful , the people are delightful , outstanding food and very kid-friendly.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I've lived here for 5 years and have had quite a few visitors from the States who also visited other cities while they were over and not a single one preferred Copenhagen over the others they visited. My advice was based on my personal experience of living here, traveling extensively in Europe, and listening to my visitors. Of course everyone has different preferences and experiences.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I've lived here for 5 years and have had quite a few visitors from the States who also visited other cities while they were over and not a single one preferred Copenhagen over the others they visited. My advice was based on my personal experience of living here, traveling extensively in Europe, and listening to my visitors. Of course everyone has different preferences and experiences.

We did love Paris. We have been fortunate and have traveled quite a lot in Europe ( jealous that you live in Copenhagen , btw!) . We have been to all the big name cities : Paris , London , Amsterdam , Vienna , Stockholm , St. Petersburg , Barcelona , Rome etc... Interestingly , the ones that most appealed to us were Copenhagen , Stockholm , Amsterdam and Vienna . They all have less of a big city feel I think..

On the 2 occasions we visited Copenhagen , beyond the places I mentioned in the previous post ( Aeroskobing , Ergeskov , the zoo , Tivoli , Nyhaven) , we also very much enjoyed having a picnic at Fredericksborg Slot , exploring the Kronborg Slot , seeing the deer at Dryhaven , staying at a lovely inn in Charlottelund. I loved the fact that at every place we went , there were no real crowds or lines , lots of beautiful architecture and nature. While trying to avoid a cliché , the word " fairytale" comes to mind when I think of our travels in Denmark.

Paris is gorgeous. Love the cafés , the museums , the iconic landscapes. But I liked Lyon just as much and appreciated the slower pace and less touristy feel. Like you said , there is something for everyone. That is what is great about the world!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by brazilgirl

We will be in Copenhagen in June for two nights and love to eat in quaint restaurants frequented by locals. We will be staying in Central Copenhagen a few blocks from the rail station at the Best Western International. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Are there any Danish specialties that we should make certain we order while in Copenhagen?

Marion

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. We are considering all the options.

I have a few more questions.

1. What would be the best way to visit the sights in Copenhagen? How is the hop on hop off type bus?

2. Is there a standard canal cruise or multiple vendors and locations?

3. Any hotel suggestions? We like our comfort when we stay in a hotel, but location is also important.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. We are considering all the options. I have a few more questions.

1. What would be the best way to visit the sights in Copenhagen? How is the hop on hop off type bus?

2. Is there a standard canal cruise or multiple vendors and locations?

3. Any hotel suggestions? We like our comfort when we stay in a hotel, but location is also important.

Thanks for the help.

Very good follow-up questions from our Texas friend. Below is about the hotel where we stayed. Great location. YES, location is very important for Copenhagen, not just being a familiar name such as Marriott.

Getting around? Walking is wonderful there in charming Copenhagen. Mostly very flat, so much to see and soak up, etc.

For "hop-on" buses, our experiences have been mixed depending for how busy and crowded things are that day. If lots of cruise ships are in port that day, things can get a little more challenging and slower.

Night time is very special. Another free, smart tip? Don't miss seeing Tivoli at night. Very much like magic, even for us older kids. Walking around and soaking it up is so special, interesting and fun. Exciting!! Depends on your personal interests and tastes. The location is handy and the size of this compact park makes things easy to sample in a reasonable period of time.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 106,077 views for this posting.

In Copenhagen, we stayed at The Square hotel that overlooks the main plaza in front of their City Hall with its large tower. This picture angle is framed by two statutes in front of this famed civic building. The design for The Square is also very unique and nice. It gives more of the feel of being in Denmark with the special design style and approaches. From the Travel Channel on her "Passport" TV shows, Samantha Brown stayed there and gave it good, deserved play/praise.:

CPHtheSquareHotelFront.jpg

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here, we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1843. Very unique and special place that is so handy. If possible, visit there in the evening when the lighting makes things so much more magical!!:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Here is one of Tivoli’s most unique buildings “showing off” with its covering of spectacular lighting. Thomas Edison would be proud! Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. We enjoyed a super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1843.:

TivoliOrientNight.jpg

This is the Gefion Springvandet fountain we walked past on our afternoon stroll back to our docked ship. This is Copenhagen’s largest monument and was built in 1908. It is based on a Scandinavian mythical tale of the goddess Gefion who plowed the island of Zealand out of Sweden. It was donated by the Carlsberg Foundation on the occasion of the brewery’s 50-year anniversary. Legend has it that the Swedish King promised the goddess Gefion as much land as she could plow overnight. She turned her four sons into oxen and set about accomplishing this herculean task. By the time dawn broke, she had ploughed a sizeable chunk, which she then tossed into the sea. From it sprung the island of Zealand, where Denmark’s capital now sits.:

1A-Copenhagen-Fountain.jpg

Near the completion of our Copenhagen's canal tour at Gammel Strand near Hojbro Plads and Christansbourg Palace. This is a location where you can commence a canal boat tour.:

CopenCompleteCanTour.jpg

Copenhagen's new Opera House across the canal from a charming fountain and near the current Royal Palace. This structure opened in 2005, costing $500 million with most of the funds coming from a Danish shipping company owner. You can see lots of kids enjoying this fountain!!:

1A-Copenhagen-OperaFountain.jpg

We will be arriving in Copenhagen 2 days before our cruise starts and staying near Tivoli. Is it easy to get around the area and what are things we shouldn't miss? Thanks for your help.

Yes, easy to get around, especially by walking and exploring in Copenhagen. Lots of ideas and options were noted earlier on this thread by Danish viking and others.

Tell us more about your party size/make-up, budget, ages, personal and travel interests, past Europe travel experience, etc. How much are you interested in history? Museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, culture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions for what best fits your needs and interests.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 197,956 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474