If Only HAL Would Stop the Formal Nights

cruiser4801

I accept that the trend is toward fewer and fewer people dressing up on formal nights. I also regret this trend.

Does food taste different when served on china versus paper plates? Is a dining room set with linen, candles and flowers a different experience than one with paper napkins? Does wine taste different from crystal goblet compared to a Styrofoam cup?

Ambiance.

When a cruise line attempts to create a certain ambiance - in fact, when it advertises a certain ambiance as a selling point of its cruise experience - I would be very disappointed if it did not deliver. People thumbing there nose at this is a shame.

For those of you who feel khakis and a golf shirt do not impact the experience of others, bring your red solo cup to dinner to drink your chateauneuf du pape.

You speak the truth for some of us, including DH and myself. We enjoyed 3 cruises with NCL, the last one not so much. And we weren't ever in "the biggest suite on the ship," so I'm not sure we have enough money invested in the experience for our opinions to matter :rolleyes:

We left NCL because after several cruises we began to crave that certain ambiance of elegance that we saw offered on other cruise lines. We want to know what it's like to dress nicely and enjoy champagne we will drink out of crystal flutes, and to eat caviar and other delicacies eaten off of fine china. This is our 20th Wedding Anniversary cruise, and we wanted it to be something different from what we have done before, something special. It's about more than money spent. It's about class, and from the OP's posts I am surmising that is something that means little to him.

We almost booked a suite on NCL for this anniversary cruise. Then we realized we would have the NCL experience, but we would be doing it in a bogger cabin. Better service maybe, but the same mediocre food and flashy, neon-esque surroundings otherwise.

That was the realization that made us choose HAL instead. We look forward to getting gussied up and eating fancy vittles. They don't offer that on the "whatever" cruise line. Whatever indeed.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

The line above that you quoted from the OP in his 2nd post to this thread is the one I read as an insinuation that he can criticize but we hasd best not dare criticize him for telling us what he plans....

If he did not want us to criticize or comment why in Hades did he start this thread???:confused:

Joanie

Joanie, let me get this right ....are you saying that it is right for the HAL board to tell the OP that he needs to go to another cruise line :confused: I believe that the OP was just defending himself from previous posts that basically attacked the OP stating they need to go cruise elsewhere. The comment always comes up when someone suggests not having Formal nights that that they go to another cruise line or go eat in their cabin like bad children. I think it is a rather sad state of affairs with the type of judging many do in their posts.

For all we know when the OP dresses Country Casual they Look much better than many of the regular HAL cruisers on Formal night :D

I know I should stay away from this thread but......

I agree, I do not see the OP stating this at all.

Di, good for you. You will love the Haven. I had a Haven suite in November on the Jewel but the Breakaway Class is actually much better for the Haven. I too had nothing but Country Club Casual my last cruise on the Jewel but what was funny we actually saw more people dressed Formal for the one dress up night on NCL than we did our last few HAL cruises :D I got to the point on our last Jewel cruise that I lost count of the number of men in Tuxes. Everyone look well dressed that night even those of us in Country Club Casual ;) Those not dressed Formal are not telling those that are they cannot do so.

My next cruise is in about a month and only because we feel we have to we are bringing Formal wear and DH is bringing his tux. But I agree with the OP I wish HAL would give up on Formal nights as well because such a large majority are NOT dressing up. So my feeling is if you can't beat them, join them. As noted HAL would much rather have you out and about spending money and not hiding up in your cabin. I really do not see those of us that want to see Formal Nights reduced or go away telling those that want to dress up that they cannot :confused:

The days have been long gone when everyone on HAL was dressed to the nines on Formal night. I remember doing a live from back in the day when the Captain still Greeted you at the entrance to the show lounge on the first formal night and numerous people were wearing shorts and t-shirts.

I'd love to hear how you are coming up with the idea that a large majority are not in favour of formal nights. Every cruise I take the MDR is packed on formal nights, more than any other night. If what you say is true, why is the MDR so packed? Honestly, I'd be pretty ok with the end of formal nights so it's not a matter of me making this up.

You have lots of choices..... like NCL.

Why does everyone else have to love everything at NCL? You have what you want. A lot of people do like formal... simple for those that do.... sail with HAL. If you want casual with NCL.

The big problem is all of the cruise lines are trying to do the same things and in the end it will all become one low standard. It is not cruising any more... it is just a 'mall vacation'.

NCL.... casual. Cunard more formal. HAL used to be midway between those. Best of everything!

Excellent response! You are my hero, Topsham!:D

We were on several cruises that had a White out nights...you could wear a white shirt etc...it was quite fun. I guess I'm too young to remember toga, Daisy Duke etc nights. Western night might be fun...

Uggggg. Give me formal nights any night. I live in Calgary. I see enough drugstore Cowboys during stampede.

I'd love to hear how you are coming up with the idea that a large majority are not in favour of formal nights. Every cruise I take the MDR is packed on formal nights, more than any other night. If what you say is true, why is the MDR so packed? Honestly, I'd be pretty ok with the end of formal nights so it's not a matter of me making this up.

Formal is all in the eyes of the beholder, What is truly formal no longer exists. SO yes I am saying the large majority are no longer formal. What percentage of men are wearing a TUX? What percentage of women are wearing long formal gowns? When I started cruising in 2002 which really was not that long ago it was only about 50% dressing Formal now truly less than 10% So if they were "In" Favor of Formal night why are we not seeing at least 75% of women in long gowns and men in tuxes. People are dressing as they wish and they are wishing Formal was not truly Formal ;)

Formal is all in the eyes of the beholder, What is truly formal no longer exists. SO yes I am saying the large majority are no longer formal. What percentage of men are wearing a TUX? What percentage of women are wearing long formal gowns? When I started cruising in 2002 which really was not that long ago it was only about 50% dressing Formal now truly less than 10% So if they were "In" Favor of Formal night why are we not seeing at least 75% of women in long gowns and men in tuxes. People are dressing as they wish and they are wishing Formal was not truly Formal ;)

That is not hals description of formal so that's really a red herring. It's so easy to dress formal according to hals suggested code.

Perhaps you are not reading his post. It seems he is the one with a 'problem'!

"If only HAL (and some of you) could see things differently.

Please don't tell me to go to another cruise line if I don't like the dress policy as I'm frankly tired of you telling me something else I should do."

I read it. I stand by my interpretation or assessment. No need for us to be contentious.

Wow, the ad hominem responses... just :eek: and people wonder why of all creatures made the worst of the lot is Man! :eek:

Anywho... we always dress up on formal night. Not to follow the rules but because I love colors and love to wear them.

That said, I don't care what someone else wears on those nights.

Honestly, many shouldn't dress "up" in their suits/dresses that were last in style when Reagan was president and last accurately fit when Carter was president.

There was nothing friendly about the original post, it certainly had a provocative tone meant to garner strong responses. The OP got the strong responses he was fishing for. His apology after purposely causing offense was nothing more than a pathetically insincere gesture. He knows exactly what kind of fight he is starting here over what is known to be a sensitive subject. Nothing worse than a braying donkey with a little bit of money. Anyone who wants him at their table better fortify themself with some strong drink in order to endure the me me me talk.

Don't call people out if you don't want them coming after you.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

That is not hals description of formal so that's really a red herring. It's so easy to dress formal according to hals suggested code.

Yes, it is. What always surprises me are the posts (always written by a woman) that her husband or significant other does not own a suit or even a sports jacket and refuses to buy one he never would wear at home. I can't imagine a man not owning even one jacket to wear with or without a tie- what do they wear to funerals or a church wedding? Don't they ever go out to a nice restaurant on a special occasion? I do think the demographics of those cruising HAL has changed since we took our first HAL cruise years ago.

Hal should have a separate dining room for formal. Have passengers pay an extra $25-$100 per cruise to eat there. Yes the shrimp will be bigger, better cuts of meat, more lobster. Etc.

They should also sell jackets on the ship. Once the word gets out about the food, they will be clamoring to wear a jacket.

Food always get them.

There was nothing friendly about the original post, it certainly had a provocative tone meant to garner strong responses, and the OP got the strong responses he was fishing for. Don't call people out if you don't want them coming after you.

Lorie

Completely agree!

I read it. I stand by my interpretation or assessment. No need for us to be contentious.

Well then, what would your interpretation be of the phrase in parenthesis in the OP's first post? Quote "If only HAL (and some of you) could see things differently." Unquote:confused:

My interpretation of the phrase "(and some of you)" means that those of us who still like Formal Nights are in the minority.. IMO he is inferring that some of us do not understand the new way of dress & we are mired in style which is no longer in vogue..

I object to that inference & believe his post started the contentiousness..:(

Edited by serendipity1499

Hal should have a separate dining room for formal. Have passengers pay an extra $25-$100 per cruise to eat there. Yes the shrimp will be bigger, better cuts of meat, more lobster. Etc.

They should also sell jackets on the ship. Once the word gets out about the food, they will be clamoring to wear a jacket.

Food always get them.

Even better would be to say these items would be free if you dress formally. That would be the end to every dress code thread:D.

We started cruising about the same time. My first cruise in 2002 I was met at the gangway and brought to my cabin by a white gloved steward. I schlepped 2 tuxes and a suit all the way to Vancouver because if it wasn't formal night it was smart casual. I saw many tuxes.

Then somewhere along the line the dumbing down started. No there's not a ton of people that aren't able to pull off (just looking good ie cleaned up) but there's always a handful every cruise who wear sweat pants to the dining room,pajamas,ball caps etc.

This country club casual term that's always thrown around is laughable. The guy who wears sweat pants to the dining room has no clue of what country club casual is,and would be an epic fail dressed like this if he arrived at a country club.

Another laugher is Polo shirt & dockers for formal night

Sounds more like a 6 year old boy going to his first day of school.

P.S. You both look great in your avatar photo

Joanie, let me get this right ....are you saying that it is right for the HAL board to tell the OP that he needs to go to another cruise line :confused: I believe that the OP was just defending himself from previous posts that basically attacked the OP stating they need to go cruise elsewhere. The comment always comes up when someone suggests not having Formal nights that that they go to another cruise line or go eat in their cabin like bad children. I think it is a rather sad state of affairs with the type of judging many do in their posts.

For all we know when the OP dresses Country Casual they Look much better than many of the regular HAL cruisers on Formal night :D

Lisa, I respect you & know that you are a lovely & kind lady who knows a great deal about cruising, but have to disagree with you about what was said on this thread.. No one suggested that the OP should go to another cruise line..He mentioned this in his very first post..

However in 2014 the OP started another thread..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2078518

Quote: Live from the Noordam-Disasterdam Unquote

In his very first post he complained that there were many Europeans on board who had "cut rate deals on board" He was asked how this could affect his enjoyment of his cruise & he never answered the poster.. His complaints in that thread were so numerous, that and I would never have believed he would set foot on another HAL ship..:eek::eek:

That thread was very contentious also, but he is once again back on HAL complaining about another ship a year later.. I'm wondering what is his agenda?

If he was so unhappy in 2014 how come he's back on HAL & trying to get them to be more like NCL?:confused:

You might want to read his posts on that thread, before passing judgment about other posts on this thread..

Please understand I respect your opinion & happy to see you on this board..

Betty

We started cruising about the same time. My first cruise in 2002 I was met at the gangway and brought to my cabin by a white gloved steward. I schlepped 2 tuxes and a suit all the way to Vancouver because if it wasn't formal night it was smart casual. I saw many tuxes.

Then somewhere along the line the dumbing down started. No there's not a ton of people that aren't able to pull off (just looking good ie cleaned up) but there's always a handful every cruise who wear sweat pants to the dining room,pajamas,ball caps etc.

This country club casual term that's always thrown around is laughable. The guy who wears sweat pants to the dining room has no clue of what country club casual is,and would be an epic fail dressed like this if he arrived at a country club.

Another laugher is Polo shirt & dockers for formal night

Sounds more like a 6 year old boy going to his first day of school.

P.S. You both look great in your avatar photo

On my last cruise I went to the cocktail party before the Mariners lunch. There was a couple that I'm guessing were in their late 60’s or early 70’s. They had 800 days with hal. They both wore baseball caps to the party then on to the lunch. I wanted to go over and take it off their heads and tell them it's not appropriate. Some people are brain dead.

Completely agree!

Well then, what would your interpretation be of the phrase in parenthesis in the OP's first post? Quote "If only HAL (and some of you) could see things differently." Unquote:confused:

My interpretation of the phrase "(and some of you)" means that those of us who still like Formal Nights are in the minority.. IMO he is inferring that some of us do not understand the new way of dress & we are mired in style which is no longer in vogue..

I object to that inference & believe his post started the contentiousness..:(

I believe OP thinks HAL and other guests should be more open minded and accepting. I did not perceive is as a condemnation of anyone or their own personal desires. Why do I feel like I am on trial suddenly?

On my last cruise I went to the cocktail party before the Mariners lunch. There was a couple that I'm guessing were in their late 60’s or early 70’s. They had 800 days with hal. They both wore baseball caps to the party then on to the lunch. I wanted to go over and take it off their heads and tell them it's not appropriate. Some people are brain dead.

There might have been a medical/personal reason they felt the need to wear those. Perhaps some melanoma surgical scars healing? To assume they are brain dead is mean spirited and short sighted. My own grandfather and father had skin cancer treatments and preferred to stay covered.

Joanie, I did not state you said that you yourself stated that, you were defending a comments made that the OP was telling people not to dress Formal. My comment is that do you think it is right that there are always those on HAL CC board and Facebook for that matter that automatically jump in and tell a poster that would like to see Formal Nights Go Away that they need to go to another cruise line or eat in their cabin or go to the Lido. I took the comment from the OP as just defending themselves after those that immediately jump in and tell them what to do.

I talk to many first time to HAL cruisers and the thought of Truly Formal nights scare them. For many a cruise is a once in a life time experience. Many are hard working people that have plenty of money but do not own tuxes and gowns and to go get these items for a one week cruise is crazy. If they were to read this board they certainly would never try HAL, yet in realty HAL has moved so close to Country Club Casual one can barely tell the difference between a regular night or Formal night except for all the Photo People out and about. (Which btw is the same as NCL) There is a whole new generation of cruisers coming up that have lots of money that HAL would like to have spent on their ships. This new generation is not about to go purchase gowns and tuxes.

I do try to explain to new HAL cruisers that what HAL is calling Formal is just nicely dressed up. When they return, they all agree that it really is not Formal and what they brought worked out just fine for the Formal nights.

So people come here before they check the hal website? I find that odd. It would take 5 minutes if that to find out what the requirements are if they went to hal. I did many, many cruise before I knew anything about cruise critic.