If Only HAL Would Stop the Formal Nights

cruiser4801

Just returned from a Hawaii cruise on NCL and loved that I could wear comfortable (and suitable) clothes every night of the cruise. We stayed in the largest suite on the ship and loved that we could dress casually. We saw there who were dressed to the nines and thought-- good for them.

This year, we are doing the 24 day Mediterranean cruise on the N/A and wish there were no formal nights on HAL. This year, however, I'm not taking a jacket or a tie. I wear suits for work and don't want to vacation in one. Why does HAL insist on forcing everyone to wear a suit several times during a 24 day cruise.

I've noticed on my last few HAL cruises, that there is growing passive resistance to the dress code. I, for one, am signing up.

Gentlemen: Those of you who enjoy wearing tuxedos or have to say you do because your wife insists you do so-- enjoy.

Ladies: Those of who you who love to dress to the nines-- enjoy.

Live and let live.

My wife and I are going to enjoy the splendor of the Med in the Summer without dressing up for dinner and the BB Kings. We plan on dining and dancing in comfort. Please accept my apologies if it offends you but that is your problem, not mine. I'm the one in comfortable slacks and a dress polo shirt. By the way, you are seeing more and more of people like me each year.

I will enjoy my Neptune Suite, the Pinnacle, the Tamarind, and every other area of the N/A in comfort.

If only HAL (and some of you) could see things differently.

Please don't tell me to go to another cruise line if I don't like the dress policy as I'm frankly tired of you telling me something else I should do.

I will cruise the way I like on HAL-- just like a Norwegian.

DH had to wear a suit every day when he worked. I always wore dresses or skirts and blouses to work -- never wore slacks to work. Neither of us even own a pair of jeans.

There were many functions when he had to wear a tuxedo and I a gown. We loved them.

And we still dress up for formal nights. DH has given up his tuxedo and now wears either a suit or slacks, jacket and tie. Since I have to use a rollator I had to give up floor length skirts and dresses. But I do dress up on formal nights.

We gave up NCL when they went to Freestyle cruising and changed their dress code.

To each his own.

Thanks for informing others not to tell you what to do while at the same time telling others what they should do. You should get exactly what you want while others should not and you have certainly forewarned them not to disagree with you.

The arrogance and self-importance is abundantly clear.

You have lots of choices..... like NCL.

Why does everyone else have to love everything at NCL? You have what you want. A lot of people do like formal... simple for those that do.... sail with HAL. If you want casual with NCL.

The big problem is all of the cruise lines are trying to do the same things and in the end it will all become one low standard. It is not cruising any more... it is just a 'mall vacation'.

NCL.... casual. Cunard more formal. HAL used to be midway between those. Best of everything!

Don't mind dressing up a few nights, tho would rather not. What has always griped me it is my vacation I have put out my $$$'s and then someone tells me how to dress for dinner. If you want to haul extra clothes fine and dandy, I vote smart casual for evening meals if you so wish.

It sounds like you found your niche with Norwegian. There are plenty of cruise line choices where you don't have to dress for dinner. Holland America's just not one of them.

Find a cruise line that meets your needs, and sail with them. There are plenty of people who enjoy the dressier aspects of HAL. We count ourselves among them. And I work from home, which means I'd be hard pressed to find a cruise where I could dress down compared to my work attire. :)

I've worn a jacket and tie from my high school days ( 1959-1963 ) and throughout my entire working life. I have no problem following the dress codes on a ship or at any other venue for that matter. I guess it's just second nature to me. Jeans and a tee or jacket and tie, no real difference to me.

bosco

I am not certain what your issue is.

We stopped taking formal attire ages ago. At first for the reasons you outline. Now that we are retired we travel light and we travel often.

We simply avoid the MDR on formal evenings. Not a biggie. The only issue we have with HAL is that unlike most other cruise line they do not have any optional dining venues that are casual on formal nights with the exception of the Lido.

There is room on HAL ships for both. We have noticed a significant decrease in those going formal. Many more cruisers seem to be smart casual with perhaps the addition of a tie or some Sunday beads/glitter in order to 'just make it over the finish line' so to speak. HAl is trying to walk both sides of street all the while chewing gum and singing a tune. Don't look to them for any official changes.

In any event why not just go, do your own thing, and enjoy yourself. Formal wear or casual.

Edited by iancal

After over 40 cruises, DH and I talked about clothes and baggage weight for our upcoming Northern Europe Cruise and we have decided not to take dressy clothes. We always dress smartly for dinner, formal or not, but decided not to take sport coat or suit for him. On the formal nights we will eat in the Lido.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

You are right that you should not be forced to wear a suit and tie.

Frankly, and fortunately, they are not enforcing formal attire rules anymore.

That is why the posters are screaming like wild banshees.

On HAL, we have the best of both worlds. We get to see the ship dressed up without us having to do so.

I will tip the Maitre'D generously to have him or her look the other way when my wife and I enter the MDR on formal nights. During dinner, we will toast to the arcane dress code.

Cheers.

I accept that the trend is toward fewer and fewer people dressing up on formal nights. I also regret this trend.

Does food taste different when served on china versus paper plates? Is a dining room set with linen, candles and flowers a different experience than one with paper napkins? Does wine taste different from crystal goblet compared to a Styrofoam cup?

Ambiance.

When a cruise line attempts to create a certain ambiance - in fact, when it advertises a certain ambiance as a selling point of its cruise experience - I would be very disappointed if it did not deliver. People thumbing there nose at this is a shame.

For those of you who feel khakis and a golf shirt do not impact the experience of others, bring your red solo cup to dinner to drink your chateauneuf du pape.

...Please don't tell me to go to another cruise line if I don't like the dress policy as I'm frankly tired of you telling me something else I should do. I will cruise the way I like on HAL-- just like a Norwegian.

And why should you not be told? You're booking HAL - which has a dress code you don't like - and expect everyone to accept your preferences.

It's impossible to have a formal atmosphere if the detractors are allowed to enter while wearing casual. So you're attitude is not "live and let live" but "follow my example and too bad if you don't like it."

If you don't like HAL than sail NCL and let those who enjoy HAL formal nights not have them spoiled by detractors such as yourself.

Don't bother this OP. I don't think he will be much around with HAL. Just trying to stir up a bees nest. I wonder why he talks about tipping the Maitr'd? Doesn't see like it didn't work before.

Read from 2014....

"My family paid over $17,000 for a Neptune Suite for 22 days on the Noordam in the Mediterranean. We are on day 17 or so and this is by far the worst cruise we have ever been on. The ship is tired and beaten as is the crew. Service is failing everywhere on the ship. The espresso machine in the Pinnacle Grill has been broken for 15 days and no effort is made by the staff to get a specialty coffee elsewhere. The Maitre D has been absent on two of only 4 visits we have been made to the PG. We have found the PG staff to be among the least responsive anyhwhere and with an attitude to boost. The coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge also broke down for 5 days. Laundry is returned with the same stains that ther were sent with. Getting our Signature Beverage Package Card took 4 days because we were told they were very expensive. After spending as much as we have on a Neptune Suite, the response was insulting.

The ship is full of Europeans that have been offered cut-rate deals to sail because there are not enough Americans, Canadians or Australians to fill the ship. This is not a luxury line by anyone's measure. The pool cushions are old and stained. The carpet throughout all areas is in dire need of replacement. The Noordam has seen better days. Cutbacks are evident since most passengers are locals who paid reduced rates. Pity those of us who paid full freight.

Personal items left on the pool deck and in the dining room have never been found.

We do not recommend the Noordam and especially the Neptune Suites there to anyone anymore. After booking Neptune Suites for the past six years on HAL, we have seen service gradually decline to the point that it is downright awful on this ship. We are taking our business to Oceania or Celebrity. "

Don't bother this OP. I don't think he will be much around with HAL. Just trying to stir up a bees nest. I wonder why he talks about tipping the Maitr'd? Doesn't see like it didn't work before.

Read from 2014....

"My family paid over $17,000 for a Neptune Suite for 22 days on the Noordam in the Mediterranean. We are on day 17 or so and this is by far the worst cruise we have ever been on. The ship is tired and beaten as is the crew. Service is failing everywhere on the ship. The espresso machine in the Pinnacle Grill has been broken for 15 days and no effort is made by the staff to get a specialty coffee elsewhere. The Maitre D has been absent on two of only 4 visits we have been made to the PG. We have found the PG staff to be among the least responsive anyhwhere and with an attitude to boost. The coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge also broke down for 5 days. Laundry is returned with the same stains that ther were sent with. Getting our Signature Beverage Package Card took 4 days because we were told they were very expensive. After spending as much as we have on a Neptune Suite, the response was insulting.

The ship is full of Europeans that have been offered cut-rate deals to sail because there are not enough Americans, Canadians or Australians to fill the ship. This is not a luxury line by anyone's measure. The pool cushions are old and stained. The carpet throughout all areas is in dire need of replacement. The Noordam has seen better days. Cutbacks are evident since most passengers are locals who paid reduced rates. Pity those of us who paid full freight.

Personal items left on the pool deck and in the dining room have never been found.

We do not recommend the Noordam and especially the Neptune Suites there to anyone anymore. After booking Neptune Suites for the past six years on HAL, we have seen service gradually decline to the point that it is downright awful on this ship. We are taking our business to Oceania or Celebrity. "

Wow! We need to stop responding to this individual!

Topsham, Thanks for the insights ... I went back and looked at OP's prior posts and have concluded that he is either (1) a shill for NCL, or (2) a professional malcontent ... maybe both ... in any event, I doubt that his rants will negatively impact HAL or those of us who enjoy cruising on HAL ...

Rod

I love these formal threads just like the smoking threads. The Host should start a thread for "everything formal" all under one roof. I personally don't care if you are for or against formal wear. You can wear your "birthday suit" to the MDR and about the ship. Yes, HAL has a policy but do they enforce it? The term "formal wear" has a different meaning to different folks in different cultures. It can vary from a tux to just a plain jacket an tie and for the ladies a long gown to a fancy cocktail dress and everything between. All good. No complaint here. But what if HAL decided on just one particular style of dress and rigidly enforce it? I once had a college professor tell me "follow the money" to find the answer. I would guess that 75% of men are wearing a suite or jacket & tie on formal nights. But if they were told that a tuxedo was only permitted what do you think would happen? Or for the ladies long gowns.In these times where "smart casual" is the norm do you think these cruise passengers are going to book with HAL? Lost revenue, there going to book some other cruise line. Some reading this may say "fine" let them leave. Hal has a policy and that's that. I look at this and say well if a majority of that 75% leave just how long do you thing Hal will be operating with the 25%? Formal nights to me comes down to choice. Participate or not. I have never missed a meal (or desert) on a HAL cruise. I am not going to have a formal night ruin my cruise. If I decide for whatever reason not to bring a jacket and tie then you will find me enjoying my dinner on the Lido or on my balcony.

bobi

StolidCruiser re:Thanks for informing others not to tell you what to do while at the same time telling others what they should do. You should get exactly what you want while others should not and you have certainly forewarned them not to disagree with you.

Thanks, this is exactly my thought.

Reminds me scene from 'The Paper Chase'.....

From Professor Kingsfield to one of the students....

"Here is 25 cents. Call you mother and tell her you will never be a lawyer."

... this reminds me of an experience I had at the U of Minnesota Law School in the very early 60's when my Civil Procedure professor (Arthur Miller) told one of my classmates, "Jack, you have a keen insight into the obvious." Thanks for reminding me of those good ole days ...

Rod

I love these formal threads just like the smoking threads. The Host should start a thread for "everything formal" all under one roof. I personally don't care if you are for or against formal wear. You can wear your "birthday suit" to the MDR and about the ship. Yes, HAL has a policy but do they enforce it? The term "formal wear" has a different meaning to different folks in different cultures. It can vary from a tux to just a plain jacket an tie and for the ladies a long gown to a fancy cocktail dress and everything between. All good. No complaint here. But what if HAL decided on just one particular style of dress and rigidly enforce it? I once had a college professor tell me "follow the money" to find the answer. I would guess that 75% of men are wearing a suite or jacket & tie on formal nights. But if they were told that a tuxedo was only permitted what do you think would happen? Or for the ladies long gowns.In these times where "smart casual" is the norm do you think these cruise passengers are going to book with HAL? Lost revenue, there going to book some other cruise line. Some reading this may say "fine" let them leave. Hal has a policy and that's that. I look at this and say well if a majority of that 75% leave just how long do you thing Hal will be operating with the 25%? Formal nights to me comes down to choice. Participate or not. I have never missed a meal (or desert) on a HAL cruise. I am not going to have a formal night ruin my cruise. If I decide for whatever reason not to bring a jacket and tie then you will find me enjoying my dinner on the Lido or on my balcony.

bobi

You said it all. Thank You

Just returned from a Hawaii cruise on NCL and loved that I could wear comfortable (and suitable) clothes every night of the cruise. We stayed in the largest suite on the ship and loved that we could dress casually. We saw there who were dressed to the nines and thought-- good for them.

This year, we are doing the 24 day Mediterranean cruise on the N/A and wish there were no formal nights on HAL. This year, however, I'm not taking a jacket or a tie. I wear suits for work and don't want to vacation in one. Why does HAL insist on forcing everyone to wear a suit several times during a 24 day cruise.

I've noticed on my last few HAL cruises, that there is growing passive resistance to the dress code. I, for one, am signing up.

Gentlemen: Those of you who enjoy wearing tuxedos or have to say you do because your wife insists you do so-- enjoy.

Ladies: Those of who you who love to dress to the nines-- enjoy.

Live and let live.

My wife and I are going to enjoy the splendor of the Med in the Summer without dressing up for dinner and the BB Kings. We plan on dining and dancing in comfort. Please accept my apologies if it offends you but that is your problem, not mine. I'm the one in comfortable slacks and a dress polo shirt. By the way, you are seeing more and more of people like me each year.

I will enjoy my Neptune Suite, the Pinnacle, the Tamarind, and every other area of the N/A in comfort.

If only HAL (and some of you) could see things differently.

Please don't tell me to go to another cruise line if I don't like the dress policy as I'm frankly tired of you telling me something else I should do.

I will cruise the way I like on HAL-- just like a Norwegian.

But you don't mind telling other people what they should do. Hope I will never be on a cruise with you.

When sailing as Third Officer on the large tanker the Captain said to me in his report:

"This officer sets an abysmally low standard which he consistently fail to maintain."

He was only joking.... I hope! :eek: