Question for Sail7Seas or anyone who wants to respond!

themerle

In Halifax we did rent a car and went to Peggy's Cove. The benefit here was that we were on our own time schedule, arrived before the buses and got some incredible pictures that weren't filled with people we didn't know. We also drove up and stopped at the Swiss Air Memorial and then made a lunch stop for lobster at Ryker's.

Ryker's is a shack on the shore and they will steam the lobster right there for you. You got out to the picnic tables and eat it. They sell drinks, but no sides. But, the lobster is fresh and you can pick the size you want.

On the drive back we stopped for every Kodak moment we envisioned. We had plenty of time to do that, return to Halifax and walk leisurely back to the ship.

I highly recommend Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor. We usually don't do a tour there, but take the Island Explorer from the Village Green to the park. There are several lines that run to the park and that will take you wherever you want to go. We like to hike a bit and then hop the Explorer out to Jordan Pond House for lunch.

USS Constitution

<snip>

Be aware that this is an all-day event (although the concert is in the evening); if you want to be on the Esplanade (where the Hatch Shell is) for the concert, you have to get there at the crack of dawn, and do some significant online research to figure out all the rules and tricks required to get a place on the Esplanade. It will take a concerted effort, but it will be well worth it if you can pull it off.

Finding a place just to see the fireworks would be much easier, and the concert is usually broadcast on radio and maybe TV. Unless you plan to attend the concert, don't make any transportation plans that go anywhere near the area near the Esplanade on the 4th; Storrow Drive will be closed much of the day.

The concert and fireworks are always broadcast on network tv. We never bothered to fight the crowds on the Esplanade or stake out a place all day long. So much more comfortable to watch on TV. The concert is always very special and such patriotism and enjoyment, sing alongs and dancing..... Crowds love it.

I mentioned the Maritime Museum in Halifax -- guess you missed it.

Oh my....

Sincere apologies. I missed your mention. :o

I'll be more careful in the future and not simply skim a post.

Would you remember any of the places you ate? I'm not big on the lobsters rolls but maybe I have not gone to the right places. Any help would be appreciated.

We wandered into most of these places by pleasant mistakes - and totally enjoyed all of them. All the ports looked like they had a lot of good lunch choices but our quest was Lobster Rolls and local beers so we aimed toward places that looked like what we wanted.:)

St John - we found a booth selling lobster rolls in the City Market and ate at a bench nearby. It was a nice time strolling through the market as well.

Bar Harbor - Geddy's Pub -just up the hill from the tender docks. The blueberry pie for desert there was heaven too.

Halifax - McKelvie's Seafood Restaurant - If you cross the street in front of the Maritime Museum there's a courtyard. The restaurant is up the short flight of stairs in the courtyard. We had a window table and enjoyed people watching from there.

Boston - Salty Dog Seafood Grill and Bar - along the plaza very near the entrance to Faneuil Hall. We sat at the bar outside for lunch. There are also outdoor tables with royal blue umbrellas as well as indoor dining.

PS ... we agreed - after careful comparison - that Geddy's in Bar Harbor was the winner

Edited by summersigh

We wandered into most of these places by pleasant mistakes - and totally enjoyed all of them. All the ports looked like they had a lot of good lunch choices but our quest was Lobster Rolls and local beers so we aimed toward places that looked like what we wanted.:)

St John - we found a booth selling lobster rolls in the City Market and ate at a bench nearby. It was a nice time strolling through the market as well.

Bar Harbor - Geddy's Pub -just up the hill from the tender docks. The blueberry pie for desert there was heaven too.

Halifax - McKelvie's Seafood Restaurant - If you cross the street in front of the Maritime Museum there's a courtyard. The restaurant is up the short flight of stairs in the courtyard. We had a window table and enjoyed people watching from there.

Boston - Salty Dog Seafood Grill and Bar - along the plaza very near the entrance to Faneuil Hall. We sat at the bar outside for lunch. There are also outdoor tables with royal blue umbrellas as well as indoor dining.

PS ... we agreed - after careful comparison - that Geddy's in Bar Harbor was the winner

Thx so much:). I've copied this all into my iPad.

Hi

Please anyone never mind those coming over July 4th DO NOT DRIVE. You will spend all your precious time stuck in traffic. Boston will be crowed. Hotels will be fulled. I am looking at this cruise I have had a bad winter with all the snow and a serious illness.. Tours in Boston may already be fulled. I need a cruise but prices for a solo is killing me. Come on HAl Give us solo's a break. Drives me nuts when the give free for 3rd and 4th people in a room. I know its by cabib and they will not change. But its preventing me for taking a few cruises.

Halifax - I didn't see anyone mention Maritime Museum. It's a short walk from where the ship docks and has some artifacts from Titanic as well as a great collection of ships' bells.

I mentioned the Maritime Museum in post #2, a note that the exhibit on the Halifax Explosion is well worth seeing, since most people I know have never heard of it.

The concert and fireworks are always broadcast on network tv.

Not any more. A couple of years ago, there was a one-hour edited version on the network, but even that has been discontinued. But the evening events should be on local TV (channel 4). Typically, there's a concert with no fireworks and no TV, on July 3.

The fireworks can be seen from far and wide. I watched from the top of Mount Wachusett one year, almost 50 miles away.

don't dawdle booking Ollie's trolley, we did and they were booked up for the times we could do. we walked away from the waterfront to one of the restaurants a block or two down and the lobster and blueberry pie is awesome.

we did one of the local horse drawn carriages in Charlottelown, and it was lovely. had chowder there that was wonderful.

took one of the cruises only tours in Quebec City and it was well worth the time and money. lovely cruise!

Outside of Sydney is the Fortress of Louisbourg. We didn't mind the bus ride and absolutely LOVED the Fortress. We would do it again in a heartbeat.

In Bar Harbor we did the LuLu Lobster Boat excursion. Informative and fun.

In Halifax we did a tour of the City and the Citadel.

We had a great time on this cruise last year. We had a slightly different itinerary as we did the 7 day round trip Boston cruise.

Outside of Sydney is the Fortress of Louisbourg. We didn't mind the bus ride and absolutely LOVED the Fortress. We would do it again in a heartbeat.

In Bar Harbor we did the LuLu Lobster Boat excursion. Informative and fun.

In Halifax we did a tour of the City and the Citadel.

We had a great time on this cruise last year. We had a slightly different itinerary as we did the 7 day round trip Boston cruise.

We did the 7 day round trip Boston cruise 3 or 4 times. It used to stop in Newport, RI and once we stopped at Martha's Vineyard.

The last few times we did it, we went to Bar Harbor, Portland, Saint John, Halifax and maybe Sydney?

We did the 7 day round trip Boston cruise 3 or 4 times. It used to stop in Newport, RI and once we stopped at Martha's Vineyard.

The last few times we did it, we went to Bar Harbor, Portland, Saint John, Halifax and maybe Sydney?

Yes it was the Bar Harbor, Portland, St John, Halifax and Sydney cruise. It was fabulous. I'd like to do the other one next time that ends in Quebec City.

Thank you everyone for the great information!!!! I'm so excited to make this trip and of course the cruise!

Hi Merle,

Nice to 'see you'. It's been a while.

You've gotten some great information and I'd add a few comments.

I would not bother with a tour to Salem, MA when you can see and do so much in Boston.

July 4th is a major big deal for us in Boston being with are the birthplace of America.... Paul Revere and Lexington and all that. :) If they are offering tours of USS Constitution, it's so historic and a real experience. I heard she was having renovation but am not sure when that will be completed. If no mobility issues, walking the Freedom trail and seeing Paul Revere House, Old North Church, ("one if by land and two if by sea..... "), Boston Public Gardens, Fanueil Hall, Quincy Market, JFK Museum and the new Edward Kennedy Memorial Senate Museum is worth a visit, Aquarium, Cambridge and Harvard Square seem to get on lots of tourists' lists :), Fenway Park, Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum, Boston's MFA, see some of the architecture of Boston such as at Boston Public Library..... The North End of Boston (Italian section) is lovely to walk but be aware on 4th of July some streets will be blocked in readiness for concert on the Esplanade (Charles River). The Boston Pops provide an incredible outdoor at the 'Hatch Shell' free concert each 4th of July with great display of fireworks. Crowds come and it is always a huge hit.

Halifax - I didn't see anyone mention Maritime Museum. It's a short walk from where the ship docks and has some artifacts from Titanic as well as a great collection of ships' bells.

The Citadel is fun to see. We very much enjoyed a riding/walking tour of Halifax which was offered by HAL at the time. We didn't go until about our 3rd visit to that wonderful city and we learned so much of the history and diversity of Halifax. In addition, while cemeteries would not be my usual place to tour, I found it interesting to see the graves of victims of Titanic placed in the shape of a bow. Of interest to me were the sections for Chinese area, Italian, Greek, French etc With very little effort I was amazed to learn how diverse Halifax is. We learned of the great explosion during the war which I never quite imagined until that tour. If this tour is still offered, it's about 3 hours and we had a great guide making it very worthwhile. If nothing else appeals, have a wonderful lobster lunch along the boardwalk. We loved walking the Boardwalk with all the shops and restaurants etc and My late DH never missed his chance at a Halifax big steamed lobster. :)

In Charlottetown, we went to the museum right at the dock which taught us the history of founding of Canada. The founders of Canada were in PEI and while the museum warrants not much more than a brief visit, it was interesting and nearby. We also enjoyed touring Government House, also short walking distance, and came away knowing more about our northern neighbors. Another time, we took a private tour to ride outside Charlottetown to see the red dirt and beauty of PEI. It is truly a lovely place with delightfully pleasant people. Near the dock is a 'tourist' area of small shops gathered in neat sections and maintained so beautifully. A pleasure to browse and pick up a souvenir or two. There are a few fairly decent places for lunch and we always sought PEI mussels. Many think them the best mussels anywhere. :)

Montreal is a huge city. Plan ahead what you want to see and do.

While I confess DH and I stayed in deluxe hotels our (land) visits to Montreal :o (and they were outstanding), I would comment friends who are accustomed to the likes of Four Seasons etc stayed at a hotel near the dock named Hotel Nelligan. We had sailed with them the first leg of our cruise, they disembarked in Montreal and rented a car to drive home. We walked up to the hotel with them and found it to be quite unique. Not cookie cutter rooms, all were different. Very friendly staff; breakfast included each morning and though they had not checked in yet and we were not staying they offered us to enjoy breakfast. Our friends were very specific when reserving their room to get one they would like and they enjoyed their stay. The price was rather fair, as I recall. If it interests you, do a bit of research. :)

Hope you have a wonderful cruise on Maasdam. I dearly love that ship and her crew.

Since I ask you the question, I want to give you a special thanks! We have been to "your" Boston on the 4th of July before. One of the reasons we are taking this cruise is so we can enjoy Boston on the 4th! We have done most of the things you mentioned for Boston. We have even taken a whale watch and enjoyed that too. We really enjoy the food in the North end! When we hear anyone say they are going to Boston, we tell them about the walk on the Freedom Trail. One of the best free activities we've ever done. (We did it around the 4th of July. Don't know if the characters do reenactments at other times, but that was great!)

I'll probably have to have a lobster in Halifax and the mussels in Charlottetown! I'll be thinking about you for sure when I'm enjoying my meal! Thanks again!

Tom's Port Guides have very useful information for many of the Canada/NE ports, as well. They can be downloaded to a tablet, too. http://www.tomsportguides.com/

I will be leaving on a repo cruise to Montreal in a couple of weeks and plan to do a Live From report. If you have any questions, you can post there and I'll try to respond.

Thanks for the website! I'll be watching for your Live From report!

USS Constitution is scheduled to be in drydock for three years, beginning May 2015 (although I've been wrong before on that date; it was significantly delayed by last winter's ice, snow, and cold). I would still consider it worth a visit, even if you can't go on board. The adjacent museum will still be open, and you may get a rare chance to see the hull out of the water, being refurbished.

Be aware that this is an all-day event (although the concert is in the evening); if you want to be on the Esplanade (where the Hatch Shell is) for the concert, you have to get there at the crack of dawn, and do some significant online research to figure out all the rules and tricks required to get a place on the Esplanade. It will take a concerted effort, but it will be well worth it if you can pull it off.

Finding a place just to see the fireworks would be much easier, and the concert is usually broadcast on radio and maybe TV. Unless you plan to attend the concert, don't make any transportation plans that go anywhere near the area near the Esplanade on the 4th; Storrow Drive will be closed much of the day.

We have enjoyed touring the USS Constitution on a previous trip to Boston. This was another highlight of our trip to Boston. There is so much so see in Boston and do in Boston.

We will not try to go to the Esplanade on this trip. We have not had time to spend the whole day on the Esplanade on the 4th. That is one thing we would like to do someday. We love the fireworks and have enjoyed seeing them from one of the hotels from afar. Still a great show!

We had the huge pleasure of being in Marblehead Harbor at Yacht Club the bi-centennial year when USS Constitution traveled from Boston to Marblehead (arguably the birthplace of the U.S. Navy) under her own sails and looked unbelievable sitting in that gorgeous small harbor. It is a sight I will never forget. A bright sunny day, all the Yacht Clubs' small sailboats/cabin cruisers out to meet her as she approached. Once in a lifetime experience. :)

Maybe it sounds hokie but we enjoy hop-on-hop-off tours in cities that have them. We do research the route and the stops so we know where we want to get off and what we want to see. For the NE/Canadian cruise we've done them in Boston, St John and Halifx. All were interesting and the stops were convenient to sights we wanted to visit. :)

In foreign countries like London and Paris we've even pre-booked/pre-paid (through a reliable company called Viator) for the h-o-h-o tours so that we didn't have to mess with that process in the foreign country.

We do very few cruise line sponsored tours. If we do it would be for something we cannot do on our own, or sometimes when there is a short port stay as a private driver and guide would typically charge for a full day and general there is only time to go to one or two stops.

With that said, we were on this cruise in 2010 and took a tour in Quebec that I thought was very good and can recommend (or recommend based on our experience 5 years ago). I looked it up for you and HAL is still charging the same price 5 years later, or $99.00 per person.

Here is the information from HAL's Shore Excursion booklet that you can download,

Québec - Montmorency Falls & Island of Orléans

Along the St Lawrence River, within minutes of the old walled city of Québec, you will discover the beautiful pastoral landscapes of the Island of Orléans and Montmorency Falls. Cross the bridge to the Isle of Orléans, where you will enjoy a scenic drive through the picturesque villages of traditional rural Québec—a veritable open-air museum boasting more than 600 heritage buildings.

Visit an authentic sugar shack where you will learn about the production of maple syrup. You’ll also stop at Mauvide-Genest Manor, a rare and exceptional example of the island's French seigneurial past, and one of the oldest remaining manor houses in Québec, built in 1734. Pause to view the magnificent Montmorency Falls, 11⁄2 times the height of Niagara Falls. Coffee, tea and pastries will be served at the elegant Montmorency Manor while you enjoy the breathtaking views and see the powerful forces of nature at work as the water of the Montmorency River roars down a 270-foot cliff to eventually meet the St Lawrence River.

==

We are going back on the same cruise in May and this time will just walk around on our own.

Edited by Jade13

Maybe it sounds hokie but we enjoy hop-on-hop-off tours in cities that have them. We do research the route and the stops so we know where we want to get off and what we want to see. For the NE/Canadian cruise we've done them in Boston, St John and Halifx. All were interesting and the stops were convenient to sights we wanted to visit. :)

In foreign countries like London and Paris we've even pre-booked/pre-paid (through a reliable company called Viator) for the h-o-h-o tours so that we didn't have to mess with that process in the foreign country.

I like them too. I think they are a great idea.

Two cruises in the New England area and always wanted to go to Louisbourg which is about half-hour out of Sydney.

First time, we just missed the last tour and the second time the HAL tour director said that us handicap people had to walk across a causeway (about half mile - which turned out to be totally wrong - there is a handicap parking right at the fortress itself and buses routinely go right up to the gates.

Louisbourg was featured in the Smithsonian Magazine a few years ago.

"The original settlement was made in 1713, and initially called Havre à l'Anglois. Subsequently, the fishing port grew to become a major commercial port and a strongly defended fortress. The fortifications eventually surrounded the town. The walls were constructed mainly between 1720 and 1740. By the mid-1740s Louisbourg was one of the most extensive (and expensive) European fortifications constructed in North America."

Louisbourg is the Canadian version of Williamsburg (VA) with re-actors, exhibits, portraying life in Colonial French-Canada. It is suppose to be more extensive in its reconstruction than Williamsburg.

Got to go on that cruise again and see Louisbourg!

Louisbourg is the Canadian version of Williamsburg (VA) with re-actors, exhibits, portraying life in Colonial French-Canada. It is suppose to be more extensive in its reconstruction than Williamsburg.

Got to go on that cruise again and see Louisbourg!

Louisbourg is a wonderful piece of history. The bus we were on took us right into the Fortress. The walking is as much or as little as you want to do. My husband and I walked the whole thing. We were tired but it was worth it. They have a bakery there where they continue to make the bread that was eaten during the time. The bakery is relatively unchanged. Lots of fun and highly recommended.