Souvenirs for co-workers

Tee & Chilli

Glacier Smoothie silt soap from Juneau. The shop is close to the dock. The soap is very nice. If you buy a lot I would ship it home, it gets heavy. You can check them out at glaciersmoothie.com One of my most popular gifts!

The mint oreos from Ketchikandies (guess where...) are great but expensive.

We got an Ulu (rounded-blade knife) in Juneau in 2012 and my wife LOVES it - she got fancy one with the cutting board that's rounded out to work perfectly with the blade, and the back is cut out with magnets to hold the blade for storage. Not cheap (could be up to $40 for the fancy one I think) but a great gift for any cooks.

The Tongass stores in Ketchikan have great inexpensive souveniers. There are actually 3 stores and at the visitor center in Juneau Skagway and Ketchican there coupon Books with discounts coupons for them. Tongass coupons last year had different ones for different locations. I have a huge extended family and saved a bundle on Ulu sets shot glasses mugs chocolates. Etc. Remember if you are flying post cruise you can't buy heavy stuff or your luggage will be overweight

Any suggestions on inexpensive souvenirs to bring back for co-workers. The ship stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait and Seward. Due to excursions I will not have time for extensive shopping.

If your co-workers share a coffee room or similar, I'd suggest candies, or chocolates or similar. IMHO buying "things" for people is difficult and can be expensive, AND the "whatever" you buy may not be used or appreciated. I sometimes travel with someone who works in a small office, and all 5 of them would buy "stuff" for each other while on vacation. Seriously, how many coffee mugs or key chains or fridge magnets chosen by others does anyone need? :)

The Tongass stores in Ketchikan have great inexpensive souveniers. There are actually 3 stores and at the visitor center in Juneau Skagway and Ketchican there coupon Books with discounts coupons for them. Tongass coupons last year had different ones for different locations. I have a huge extended family and saved a bundle on Ulu sets shot glasses mugs chocolates. Etc. Remember if you are flying post cruise you can't buy heavy stuff or your luggage will be overweight

Where does one find the coupon books? I wanted to purchase the silt soaps for my co-workers, but the cost is really adding up. I'm now thinking more along the lines of chocolate. Everyone likes chocolate! I may purchase the Ulu knife and cutting board for myself though.

I have done the soaps from Glacier Smoothies. My favorite gift is Alaska Christmas ornaments. In Ketchikan, I usually get them from Scanlons and there is a Christmas store in Skagway. Many years ago, one of my coworkers got everyone Alaskan thimbles.

Oh and the cruise lines will confiscate the Ulu knives till you disembark.

Some cruise lines do, others don't. We have never had the ones wee have purchased held, we were always allowed to take them to the cabin, but policies vary by cruise line.

I have done the soaps from Glacier Smoothies. My favorite gift is Alaska Christmas ornaments. In Ketchikan, I usually get them from Scanlons and there is a Christmas store in Skagway. Many years ago, one of my coworkers got everyone Alaskan thimbles.

Thank you for the ideas.

I brought home some sourdough mixes that were very easy to pack. the shopping available for gifts is everywhere. Pop into almost any store and you will see a wide assortment. We found a great tea shop.

We did buy one of those knifes and have enjoyed it. My daughter bought a carved polar bear and has loved it for years.

Have fun and enjoy beautiful Alaska

4boysnana

Can highly recommend this store/company for canned salmon. It is the BEST we have ever eaten.

http://chinookandcompany.com/contact.html

They are in Ketchikan just up the street from Dolly's House. She shipped the salmon for us priority mail and it arrived at our home the same day we got back from the cruise.

If it were me, I would buy/order the salmon now and then give it out when we return from the trip. My dad and mom went to Hawaii one year. A couple months before they went, the local drug store had Mona Aloha Chocolate Covered Academia Nuts on super sale. Dad bought a dozen boxes to give out when they got back from their trip. Everyone was thrilled and my parents didn't have the hassle of packing the items on the trip home.

We use to buy for family/friends when we took trips. Then stopped. It just got too expensive and our vacation time was spent looking for gifts instead of enjoying our time away plus stressing about how to get it home and would it make our luggage too heavy etc. Now we buy for the house/pet sitter. Last cruise she LOVED the canned salmon too.

We have bought colorful shopping bags in Ketchikan with bold totem or First Nation prints screened on the front. Flat, light and easy to pack and as I recall cost less than $5 - usually hanging behind checkout counter. Forget the name of the shop but it is on Creek Street a few buildings past Dolly's house. Also great tee shirts there. Also love Soho Coho towards the end of Creek Street - unique tees, Cards, small artwork and always a destination making us smile.

Edited by LoriPhil