Teens on Holiday

Boatingmom

Can anybody here report on the amount of children specifically teens on board during the school holidays like Christmas and Easter breaks?? Just wondering if there is enough to keep them occupied. We recently sailed Princess. The kids loved it and had plenty to do. For the adults the activities were a little lacking. Researching next cruise.

I would say Celebrity would not be a good cruise for teens. Look at a more family focused cruise line, RCI, CCL or NCL.

Totally disagree from someone who has actually taken their teens on many Celebrity cruises. During the holidays unless you take a long cruise there will be loads of children on board Celebrity ships of all ages. Teens tend to make their own friends and find their own activities no matter the cruise line, Celebrity has excellent childrens programs.

Edited by dkjretired

I finally get to tell my experience with some wonderful (NOT) teens on our last 2 week Christmas/NYE cruise. (I almost started a thread about it, but there are too many of these threads);).

I'll tell the good first. We did the 14 night Christmas cruise in 2012 and had not one issue with not one child, young and teen.

We did the 14 night this past Christmas. I guess after a while, some teens just went berserk, well, the one pack we encountered anyway. It was probably day 12. We got into an elevator with about 5 12-14 year old girls. Suddenly one of them, the ringleader I presume, looked at me dead in the eye and started shouting and screaming. The others joined in. They could not be reasoned with. We were so stunned we just got off after a few floors. I wish I had run into the ringleader (I can still see her crazy eyes staring at me!) and her parents after that, but never did see her again.

What is sad is that there were probably 300+ children on that ship that were well behaved. It took this one group of bored teens to put us thru such a harrowing experience.

Would I do a 14 night holiday cruise again? In a heartbeat. But I think my expectations will be lower and I'll be prepared for a verbal assault next time, how to handle it.

X is not a cruise line that I would take teens on a cruise. Go with the cruise lines that runner suggested.:)

Once again, I would point out that I have actually taken my kids on Celebrity cruises and they had a great time. This board for years has had people commenting negatively about children on Celebrity cruises who have never had a child of any age on Celebrity. I don't know what the motive is and don't know about the two posters in this thread but I just don't get it.

Once again, I would point out that I have actually taken my kids on Celebrity cruises and they had a great time. This board for years has had people commenting negatively about children on Celebrity cruises who have never had a child of any age on Celebrity. I don't know what the motive is and don't know about the two posters in this thread but I just don't get it.

Do a search of my posts. I have never said anything unkind about children on cruises. In fact, I have even gone so far as to say that the children on our 2012 Christmas cruise really made the cruise special. They were a joy.

While we don't have children, we could, with certainty, testify that on our long holiday cruise in 2014,

some kids were just plain bored. And mean!:eek:

Edited by Muushka
sentence mishap

Do a search of my posts. I have never said anything unkind about children on cruises. In fact, I have even gone so far as to say that the children on our 2012 Christmas cruise really made the cruise special. They were a joy.

While we don't have children, we could, with certainty, testify that on our long holiday cruise in 2014,

some kids were just plain bored. And mean!:eek:

Muushka: I wasn't referring to you because I know your history. Its a long story and goes back many years on the Celebrity board.

• 2 weeks later...

We had 2 teens in our group at Christmas who reported that there we many many teens on board and at the club. They really enjoyed their trip

I finally get to tell my experience with some wonderful (NOT) teens on our last 2 week Christmas/NYE cruise. (I almost started a thread about it, but there are too many of these threads);).

I'll tell the good first. We did the 14 night Christmas cruise in 2012 and had not one issue with not one child, young and teen.

We did the 14 night this past Christmas. I guess after a while, some teens just went berserk, well, the one pack we encountered anyway. It was probably day 12. We got into an elevator with about 5 12-14 year old girls. Suddenly one of them, the ringleader I presume, looked at me dead in the eye and started shouting and screaming. The others joined in. They could not be reasoned with. We were so stunned we just got off after a few floors. I wish I had run into the ringleader (I can still see her crazy eyes staring at me!) and her parents after that, but never did see her again.

What is sad is that there were probably 300+ children on that ship that were well behaved. It took this one group of bored teens to put us thru such a harrowing experience.

Would I do a 14 night holiday cruise again? In a heartbeat. But I think my expectations will be lower and I'll be prepared for a verbal assault next time, how to handle it.

I'd have gone to guest relations and spoken to security and insisted they look at the cctv to track these girls down. I'd have liked to have seen their faces when security spoke to them and their families.

On Celebrity, it depends on the route and season. Caribbean itineraries departing from Florida during spring brake, summer, and Christmas; report a high load of teens. While norwegian fjords, northern Europe, and Mediterranean during low season are pretty much a nursing home...

Carnival, RCI and NCL have a sustained load of young passenger all year long on most of their routes.

Alaska, Panama Canal, and Hawaii, are not popular among youngsters either, but still carry a good quantity of them.

But if you ask me about the best possible experience for a teen, I would probably recommend RCI on any ship of the Voyager class or newer. The ships are loaded with a lot of amusement for teens and young adults. Sometimes adults become minority.

We had 2 teens in our group at Christmas who reported that there we many many teens on board and at the club. They really enjoyed their trip

I'd have gone to guest relations and spoken to security and insisted they look at the cctv to track these girls down. I'd have liked to have seen their faces when security spoke to them and their families.

That's a great idea. If it ever happens again (fingers crossed that it won't), I will do that.:o

Despite the discouragement from people with other motives, I will again actually speak from experience.

We did back to back Celebrity Silhouette in 2013 with our 15 and 17 year olds. This was their 6th and 7th cruise on Celebrity. They absolutely loved it.

We spent our time doing stuff as a family like card games and board games on our own and had a family trivia team that spanned three generations which helped us do well.

The kids also spent some time at the teen activities like a night time pool party or games and other social activities and they also made friends and just hung out.

With the exception of the screaming rild Muushka meantioned in the elevator, I would say that teens and kids that cruise Celebrity tend to be well behaived and do not cuase problems. They are also friendly and fun for the other teens to hand out with. I have never had a problem with a single kid or teen bothering me on a Celebrity cruise.

My last cruise with my teens(13 and 16) was over Thanksgiving break, not quite Christmas or Easter, but still a big enough Holiday. There were certainly a large number of both age groups that my kids found lots of kids to pal around with. I would not hesitate to bring my kids over Christmas, and I just asked them and they said would go in a heartbeat. The 13 year old loved the teen club. The 16 year old never went once.

If this had or ever does happen to me, I'm joining in and being the craziest person in the elevator. That, or I hit the call button and let the person on the other end hear the nonsense and hopefully have security meet us when the doors open. I can hit "stop" if they need a few minutes to get there.

• 2 weeks later...