Lobster night question

Gquie

Was on the Allure earlier this month and noticed that on lobster night the wait staff always insisted on helping the guests de-shell their lobsters for them.

I ordered 2 fisherman's plates and our waiter helped me with my first plate but I always feel really bad when people do things for me that I could just as easily do myself so I declined his offer to help me on my second plate. He asked me again if I was sure that I didn't want his help and when I confirmed it he finally moved on to someone else. 3 minutes later the section manager saw me working on my lobster and she rushed over to ask my why I was doing it myself and then she grabbed two forks off the neighbouring table and insisted on de-shelling my lobster for me.

It wasn't specific to our table either. I looked down one level and saw many tables with the same thing going on.

Not that I don't appreciate the amazing (yet slightly awkward) service but it just got me to thinking if all the waiters were trained to never let guests do it and for what reason.

Anyone know?

Was on the Allure earlier this month and noticed that on lobster night the wait staff always insisted on helping the guests de-shell their lobsters for them.

I ordered 2 fisherman's plates and our waiter helped me with my first plate but I always feel really bad when people do things for me that I could just as easily do myself so I declined his offer to help me on my second plate. He asked me again if I was sure that I didn't want his help and when I confirmed it he finally moved on to someone else. 3 minutes later the section manager saw me working on my lobster and she rushed over to ask my why I was doing it myself and then she grabbed two forks off the neighbouring table and insisted on de-shelling my lobster for me.

It wasn't specific to our table either. I looked down one level and saw many tables with the same thing going on.

Not that I don't appreciate the amazing (yet slightly awkward) service but it just got me to thinking if all the waiters were trained to never let guests do it and for what reason.

Anyone know?

They aren't supposed to let the passengers de she'll their lobster tails. We were on a Princess ship, and we did it ourselves.

is lobster night on formal night :confused::confused:

Lobster is served on cruises 5 days or longer departing from North American ports. Generally served on the second formal night (Jasmine menu - part of the fisherman's platter).

For the 5 day cruises that do not have 2 formal nights it will be served on day 4 or 5.

Why do you feel bad? This is formal night, lobsters can be messy, you are dressed nicely (I hope). They are paid employees that are expected to give a great service to you. So let them do their job, and enjoy it.

On a side note, all employees should be working hard. I never help a UPS driver carry their packages, or a waitress a tray, so I let the cruise staff do what their employers expect them to do. They are part of service you pay for.

The section head waiter came over to help my husband with his second helping of lobster tail, but no one helped with the first (nor would we expect them to). We wondered if it was to prevent him from ordering a third! LOL