Just booked Canada/New England on the Regal and have questions

birdiebill

We have been on the Regal, so I know all about the ship. What we don't know is anything about staying and parking in the area of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

For a Princess cruise out of Brooklyn is it better to stay near the port the night before the cruise or to stay a couple hours away and drive to the terminal parking the day of the cruise? We will be driving from Indianapolis. I have trouble finding a park and stay hotel close to the terminal. Thinking of driving to Allentown, PA rather than to Brooklyn the day prior to the cruise. Pros and cons?

We have been on the Regal, so I know all about the ship. What we don't know is anything about staying and parking in the area of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

For a Princess cruise out of Brooklyn is it better to stay near the port the night before the cruise or to stay a couple hours away and drive to the terminal parking the day of the cruise? We will be driving from Indianapolis. I have trouble finding a park and stay hotel close to the terminal. Thinking of driving to Allentown, PA rather than to Brooklyn the day prior to the cruise. Pros and cons?

The Marriott Brooklyn Bridge is about 3 miles from the pier.

Lots of options to do a little sightseeing.

Much better option then staying in PA. IMO :)

As stated parking at the pier is a piece of cake. Right next to the ship.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn(about two blocks or less from port).

It was clean but not fancy. Found a Pizzeria closeby and had yummy New York Pizza.Or you could order in and food gets delivered We were shuttled free to the ship.I grew up in Brooklyn, although out of there for years. So for me felt more familiar than scary.

Breakfast was included at hotel. It was really inexpensive, and we did it for our cruise New England-Canada two years ago.Don't know if they had parking.It seems to me they did on the side of hotel but can't be sure.We had flown in day before and took a cab from the airport.

Remember when hurricane Sandy hit (that was day after we flew home), everyone that parked at cruise terminal lost their cars to flooding(ruined not taken).

Try checking here. :confused: ;)

https://www.hotelnparking.com/Cruiseport+Hotel+and+Parking-3

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines :D

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebec city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vancouver.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT,

32nd cruise - Crown Princess, 20 - 27 Dec. 2014, 7 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT.

It is always better to stay the night before any cruise at a hotel near the terminal. Allentown is over 100 miles, and more like 2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on the traffic and the route you take. I would call hotels closer to the terminal to see if any offer parking. Parking at the pier should be about $165 for 7 days, but may be worth the cost. If you don't stay near Red Hook then try to get closer, in New Jersey somewhere along I78 or I287. I lived in NJ most of my life near these routes and traffic is unpredictable, even of the weekends.

FYI, be prepared for and have cash for large tolls (around $27) crossing the bridges from NJ into NY. If you have EZ Pass tolls are quicker and less expensive.

You need cash unless you have a toll pass (ez-pass) that is compatible with their system.

They do not do plate scanning in NYC. Too much volume.

Do I still need cash for the tolls or do I just pass through the electronic toll lanes? I will have cash, but just wondered. In Illinois and Indiana we just pass through the electronic tolls, not even slowing down.

We have done this cruise four times and live approx. 15 min. from Allentown. It has taken us between one hour and 15 min. to 1 and a half hours to get to Red Hook. Yes, traffic can get bad, but never really held us up from getting there is a reasonable amount of time. Yes, you could stay closer, just do some research. Your EZ pass should work, but not sure about crossing the bridges.

Do I still need cash for the tolls or do I just pass through the electronic toll lanes? I will have cash, but just wondered. In Illinois and Indiana we just pass through the electronic tolls, not even slowing down.

In checking the NY State EZ Pass website, it lists Indiana as a compatible state that can use the EZPass lanes anywhere in NY that has EZ pass tolls. Depending on which roadway you are on, there may or may not be an 'express high speed' lane to pass through. If memory serves me, I don't believe the Varrazano bridge has that option - nor the tunnels. Just be sure to be aware of the EZ pass lanes up ahead-it may be a 'challenge' to try to move over lanes if you get too close to the toll booths. While every toll lane accepts the EZpass, you'd be waiting behind vehicles to pay their tolls without the pass.

So now I have a question because we are also doing a New England cruise this year from Brooklyn. I was thinking of staying at La Quinta(we get points from La Quinta) near the Brooklyn bridge. But we are arriving 2 days before. We plan on taking the subway to Manhattan and checking that out on day 2. Perhaps riding a hoho bus. But the evening of arrival I want to explore Brooklyn as that is where my dad was born. So is this a bad idea? The price of hotels in Brooklyn are half the price as what they are in Manhattan so that is another factor. What do you think?

Try looking into the Holiday Inn Express in mid-town just off of 5th Avenue around 45th or 46th Street. They provide free included breakfast. Lots to see and do around the hotel that you can easily walk to.

Or, you may be able to find another Holiday Inn Express in lower Manhattan closer to the Brooklyn Bridge which would cut down on driving time.

MARAPRINCE

So now I have a question because we are also doing a New England cruise this year from Brooklyn. I was thinking of staying at La Quinta(we get points from La Quinta) near the Brooklyn bridge. But we are arriving 2 days before. We plan on taking the subway to Manhattan and checking that out on day 2. Perhaps riding a hoho bus. But the evening of arrival I want to explore Brooklyn as that is where my dad was born. So is this a bad idea? The price of hotels in Brooklyn are half the price as what they are in Manhattan so that is another factor. What do you think?

Where in Brooklyn was your Dad born?

It is a large borough of NYC and it has numerous areas or neighborhoods.

The hotel near the Brklyn. Bridge may be a good location not too far from the pier,but it may be miles away from your Dad's birthplace.

Timetraver--When we did our NE/Canadian cruise we stayed at the LaQuinta. In fact quite a few from our cruise stayed there. It was very nice. Clean. Nice 99 cent store across the street for last minute things forgotten. They provide breakfast and also a Dunkin Donuts right down from there across the street. Very short cab ride to port. Our daughter use to live in Brooklyn and a friend of hers took us to dinner so I can't comment on places to eat close by.....

But we were very satisfied with our choice about staying at the LaQuinta.