Favorite excursions

suezducruz

Here's some ideas for Top 5....

e_eMbvWq8lU F4PEcfMK1eY mjOwP2OAuPU txO8VK4LaLQ

My thoughts....

• Juneau... whale watch, Mendenhal, Glacier Gardens, Tracy's Crab, Mt. Roberts Tram
  • Skagway.... White Pass train, Liarsville, Yukon, Red Onion
  • Vancouver.... Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Dim Sum, Vandusen Gardens, Whistler's Peak 2 Peak

Hmm... September? Double check which excursion are running. Some excursions end the season in early September.

Edited by xlxo

Some other ideas...

• look to combo tours for more variety and time savings
  • if you can't decide... look for "Best of..."
  • I usually check out the tour desk a few times a day and ask which is near sellout? Which is most popular? I guess that's where the smart people are going...

We all have different interests, activity levels, and budgets so what worked well for one person won't necessarily work well for you. There are hundreds of options available at each port. Best to look over the ship's excursion list and choose a few options that suit YOUR interests, then ask for feedback about those activities, or, ask about independent vendors who provide that experience.

If you want DIY options, borrow an Alaska travel book from your library to learn about the 3 ports and they offer. OR, read thru last summers trip reports and photojournals (STICKY above) to see what excursions worked well for travelers with your similar interests and travel group.

I'm also asking for advice in this category. We are going on the Denali Explorer, land and sea combo in July. Ports are Skagway, Ketchican, and Juneau. I'd like advice on the following:

1. Best place for a helicoptor tour - ideally with a hike.

2. Best place for whale watching

3. Best place for rafting/wildlife sighting

4. Reputable non cruise line tour packages.

5. Hikes in Denali -

We're not so interested in sled dogs, gold panning or totem poles, but if there is something that should absolutely not be missed, please let us know. We are two 50 year olds traveling without out kids!!! Woo hoo!

When I sit down to pick excursions, I dive into the details with a fine-toothed comb. I often calculate the price per hour, and compare the value in that regard. For flight excursions, I've discovered that the total price of the excursions, in a $ per minute of FLYING time basis, is often nearly the same. Anything with a higher per-flying-minute cost usually has some other distinct value, and it's worth evaluating if that value has value to you.

I've also learned to look at the length of the excursion versus the length of the actual "I'm doing/seeing _it_" time. We did a Haines River Wilderness Adventure last year that involved 45 minutes on a ferry then 30 minutes on a bus to get to the spot for a 1h15m boat ride and a 20m lunch, only to ride a bus 30m back to another 45m ferry ride. I really try to avoid that now.

For excursions with meals, I try to find comparable no-meal excursions and assess the cost of the meal. In Ketchikan, for example, there's a Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary Nature Walk, and a Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary Walk & Crab Feast. The Feast seems to be the same walk, but with the addition of a meal. Adding the meal adds $80 to the fee...which for me is not a value I want.

There are hundreds of excellent tours in Alaska to take. Problem is, people, get caught up in feeling obligated to book what everyone else is and then, miss out completely on other opportunities that may be just what their preference would be. The same tours, get raved about- with good reason, they are good- whale watching out of Juneau, Misty Fiords out of Ketchikan and White Pass RR out of Skagway. :) But I would suggest looking further.

I never, "price" out any worth like mentioned above. It's unimportant to me. I'm a repeater, enjoying the same tours, I've been taking over and over. :) I don't care what the costs are and never tire of seeing the vastness and beauty of Alaska.

Taking the time to read through all the shore excursion list, will give a good reference on the possibilities. You then should be able to narrow down your interests.

I'm also asking for advice in this category. We are going on the Denali Explorer, land and sea combo in July. Ports are Skagway, Ketchican, and Juneau. I'd like advice on the following:

1. Best place for a helicoptor tour - ideally with a hike.

2. Best place for whale watching

3. Best place for rafting/wildlife sighting

4. Reputable non cruise line tour packages.

5. Hikes in Denali -

We're not so interested in sled dogs, gold panning or totem poles, but if there is something that should absolutely not be missed, please let us know. We are two 50 year olds traveling without out kids!!! Woo hoo!

With a glacier hiking, I recommend Northstar out of Juneau- but only their level 3 tour. You need every minute of that time, and the likely more "serious" fellow participants.

Rafting and wildlife are pure chance, don't expect a lot from a raft. I like the Nenana River by Denali. for a float trip, the Taiya River out of Skagway.

What are you taking about "non cruise line tour packages"?

You can hike anywhere in Denali. I recommend the shuttle bus to at least Eielson. Ranger led hike there. Checking on areas on the way out, stop on the way back, places that looked interesting to you. There are several trails near the entrance, and Savage River.

For Juneau I would absolutely pick the combination Mendenhall Glacier and whale watching tour. You don't have to go back to the pier, they take you straight to whale watching. For Skagway we loved the first train out of the White Pass Railway. Gave us the whole rest of the day on our own and we could have done another excursion there. The railway was full of amazing Alaskan history, by the end most of us were dozing off but the scenery was spectacular for us since we had a crystal clear, no clouds, very unusual Alaska day! Had we had the typical rainy overcast day I possibly would have felt differently about it but I still would have enjoyed all of the Alaska history I heard. Ketchikan was our least favorite Alaskan port. We did a duck tour which gave us great information but overall there wasn't a lot for us to do. So I'm no help there.

This is what we did last year

Juneau- private whale watch with Harv & Marv- booked it because we didn't want to be with loud people or run a muck children, even though we had our 12 and 16 year old with us. Highly recommend

Skagway- helicopter, glacier walk with temsco-booked directly is cheaper. A wow experience

Ketchikan- private fishing with baranof, loved it and doing it again this year!

This year Juneau we are exploring mendenhall glacier on our own and Skagway will be the Davidson glacier wilderness Safari. Unfortunately booked too late and had to go through cruise line.

We are an active family with teens, if that helps. I would definitely take a helicopter tour/hike but it's not cheap.

Juneau: Whale watching and Mendenhall

Skagway: The place IMHO to book helicopter, did the train but was very unmoved by it.

Ketchikan: Flight seeing or fishing.

Best excursion: The helicopter, pricey but worth it!

With a glacier hiking, I recommend Northstar out of Juneau- but only their level 3 tour. You need every minute of that time, and the likely more "serious" fellow participants.

Rafting and wildlife are pure chance, don't expect a lot from a raft. I like the Nenana River by Denali. for a float trip, the Taiya River out of Skagway.

What are you taking about "non cruise line tour packages"?

You can hike anywhere in Denali. I recommend the shuttle bus to at least Eielson. Ranger led hike there. Checking on areas on the way out, stop on the way back, places that looked interesting to you. There are several trails near the entrance, and Savage River.

By non cruise line - I meant - what independent operators do you recommend for excursions. My experience in other places is that you can save some $$ by using an independent tour company, rather than the Princess (or whatever cruise line) excursions.) Thanks for all of your insight!

This is what we did last year

Juneau- private whale watch with Harv & Marv- booked it because we didn't want to be with loud people or run a muck children, even though we had our 12 and 16 year old with us. Highly recommend

Skagway- helicopter, glacier walk with temsco-booked directly is cheaper. A wow experience

Ketchikan- private fishing with baranof, loved it and doing it again this year!

This year Juneau we are exploring mendenhall glacier on our own and Skagway will be the Davidson glacier wilderness Safari. Unfortunately booked too late and had to go through cruise line.

We are an active family with teens, if that helps. I would definitely take a helicopter tour/hike but it's not cheap.

Thanks! This is very helpful. I'm impressed that you're going to Alaska again. Did you have any independent tour companies that you especially liked? I see you mentioned Harv and Marv and temsco. Would you recommend both as reliable?

I know BQ, whose advice here is invaluable, takes a "money is no object" when it comes to the excursions, many of us aren't so lucky to do that. We have a vacation budget for each year and we do our best to stretch it out for 3-4 vacations a year. We've always done independent excursions on all our cruises. They are usually much cheaper in the Caribbean, but I've not found a huge difference (for the most part) in price in AK. HOWEVER, I've found a huge difference in the services provided.

We've done whale watching out of Juneau in the past with both Harv & Marv and Alaska Galore - both of which I'd recommend to anyone. We are doing H&M again next month.

In Skagway (only been once before), we did the WPRR through Chilkoot Tours. We did the Yukon tour, and our then 7yo ds even had a great time. This year, we have rented a car to do our own thing. We're saving money for inland AK, which we've not gotten to do before.

In Ketchikan, a pretty inexpensive but fun & informative tour is the DUCK tour. It can be done through the ship, but we booked it on our own. This year, we plan to go to Totem Bight and maybe catch the lumberjack show.

There's tons, and I do mean TONS of hiking in inland AK. Around Denali (in & around), Talkeetna, Eagle River, Wasilla, Girdwood, Seward, etc. Makes me wish I was a hiker - my back says no, especially after a car accident 1.5 years ago. We will do some short ones as long as my back can stand it. We will be white water rafting in Denali - but DH is coordinating that one, so I don't know which company.

Let's just say, it's a good thing there's a lot of daylight in AK in the summer, cuz we're gonna use it all!

One of the nicest things we ever did was to rent a car in Skagway (Avis). This was also on a September cruise. We were in port from 8-8. We drove north in to the Yukon all the way to Emerald Lake. To do this, you drive over a mountain range. Since it was September, the leaves were turning and we saw different colors and plants at different elevations. We stopped at a little restaurant for fresh blueberry pie and coffee. The whole drive took about 6 hours. We stopped several places to take photos. When we returned the car, we still had plenty of time to stroll through Skagway and visit some shops. We plan to do this again in July, but we won't see the beautiful colors. The car is expensive, but not as expensive as the RR trip.

By non cruise line - I meant - what independent operators do you recommend for excursions. My experience in other places is that you can save some $$ by using an independent tour company, rather than the Princess (or whatever cruise line) excursions.) Thanks for all of your insight!

You need to determine the tour -first, then you can find an independent vendor. There is no point in listing a bunch of independent vendors, who are specific to the particular tour they run.

Thanks! This is very helpful. I'm impressed that you're going to Alaska again. Did you have any independent tour companies that you especially liked? I see you mentioned Harv and Marv and temsco. Would you recommend both as reliable?

The original H&M no longer cpt the tours on a regular basis, they also have expanded with different ownership. TEMSCO, is a long established well run company. There are many excellent Alaska vendors.

I know BQ, whose advice here is invaluable, takes a "money is no object" when it comes to the excursions, many of us aren't so lucky to do that. We have a vacation budget for each year and we do our best to stretch it out for 3-4 vacations a year. We've always done independent excursions on all our cruises. They are usually much cheaper in the Caribbean, but I've not found a huge difference (for the most part) in price in AK. HOWEVER, I've found a huge difference in the services provided.

We've done whale watching out of Juneau in the past with both Harv & Marv and Alaska Galore - both of which I'd recommend to anyone. We are doing H&M again next month.

In Skagway (only been once before), we did the WPRR through Chilkoot Tours. We did the Yukon tour, and our then 7yo ds even had a great time. This year, we have rented a car to do our own thing. We're saving money for inland AK, which we've not gotten to do before.

In Ketchikan, a pretty inexpensive but fun & informative tour is the DUCK tour. It can be done through the ship, but we booked it on our own. This year, we plan to go to Totem Bight and maybe catch the lumberjack show.

There's tons, and I do mean TONS of hiking in inland AK. Around Denali (in & around), Talkeetna, Eagle River, Wasilla, Girdwood, Seward, etc. Makes me wish I was a hiker - my back says no, especially after a car accident 1.5 years ago. We will do some short ones as long as my back can stand it. We will be white water rafting in Denali - but DH is coordinating that one, so I don't know which company.

Let's just say, it's a good thing there's a lot of daylight in AK in the summer, cuz we're gonna use it all!

I don't have financial limits on my tour selections, but, I strongly advocate people to find their OWN way with tours in Alaska. I do write about my first hand experiences, but I rather encourage, taking a look at many options. Too frequently, there will be posts, stating, take this tour, I did and it's great. Trouble is- a LOT of tours are "great". :) I, instead will ask questions- that hopefully will direct someone, to the right tour for them.

One of the nicest things we ever did was to rent a car in Skagway (Avis). This was also on a September cruise. We were in port from 8-8. We drove north in to the Yukon all the way to Emerald Lake. To do this, you drive over a mountain range. Since it was September, the leaves were turning and we saw different colors and plants at different elevations. ...... We plan to do this again in July, but we won't see the beautiful colors.
Through the years we have taken that drive in different months and it can look like an entirely different trip each time.

Once in May right after a snowfall, it looked like mid-winter.

Except for the road itself that had been cleared (they do a wonderful job maintaining that road), everything was glistening white, covered in snow for miles from the edge of the road all the way up to the tops of the mountains. People were bundled up in warm jackets, gloves, hats and hoods taking pictures of each other throwing snowballs by the Yukon sign.

A month or two later the same trip looks entirely different, grass and leaves in bright shades of green, wildflowers in bloom in multiple colors. Water in the lakes instead of ice.

People wearing shorts and t-shirts.

Then in late August through September you get those brilliant fall shades of yellow, red and orange, with the scenery looking entirely different again.

So which is the best time to go?

Any and all of them.

Edited by varoo