NCL vs Holland

elruth

We have been on several NCL cruises and for the first time will switch to Holland for a cruise in March 2016. We are 75 and 84 so we know Holland is more of an older crowd. I booked a balcony on HAL on the Oosterdam and wonder if anyone has been on both cruise lines? We are used to penthouse or mini suites on NCL but recently did take a balcony cabin on the Getaway and the Pearl. I actually was surprised that Holland's prices were quite a bit higher and I was wondering if their food is that much better, the cabins etc. We've run out of options for NCL as we don't like the larger ships and always choose the Caribbean. We will go on the Spirit in Nov 2015 and the Dawn in Dec 2016.

Food is, of course, so subjective, but here goes: I prefer NCL because of the specialty venues. There is more variety and the food tastes somewhat less like hotel banquet food. HAL's food always looked better than it tasted...great presentation but did not have the zing factor.

Of course, your mileage may vary! Whatever, I hope you have a great cruise!

We have sailed Holland twice and NCL twice. We are in our mid 40s, but actually loved Holland!

We sailed the Getaway last month, and realized we don't like that size of ships. Not having a promenade deck to walk a full lap on, was also a serious drawback.

We like Holland for the friendly staff, the afternoon teas, the chance to watch the cooking shows and just a relaxing cruise.

The food on NCL wasn't really for us, but due to food allergies I am a bit more limited than most. Holland does a really nice buffet, and it changes every day. Loved it.

I sailed once in December on Westerdam in a balcony cabin. Thought the room was a very nice size. The bathroom had a tub, which NCL tends to shower stall only unless you go mini-suite or full suite. The cabin had a DVD player and guest services had a library of old movies and shows you could borrow.

As far as food, I did notice far fewer choices in MDR compared to NCL. The difference primarily is NCL has changing daily choice and everyday options. Holland had the changing daily, but no everyday. So essentially half as many menu choices of appetizers and entrees.

I thought the pizza tasted better on Holland. The buffet on Westerdam was a large enough size with more than fair variety of food. You could self-serve on most things, but food had to be plated by staff for almost all of the hot items.

When it comes to entertainment, Holland is different. I would certainly call it more sedate. That is not to say the entertainment is bad, just not high energy.

We have been on several NCL cruises and for the first time will switch to Holland for a cruise in March 2016. We are 75 and 84 so we know Holland is more of an older crowd. I booked a balcony on HAL on the Oosterdam and wonder if anyone has been on both cruise lines? We are used to penthouse or mini suites on NCL but recently did take a balcony cabin on the Getaway and the Pearl. I actually was surprised that Holland's prices were quite a bit higher and I was wondering if their food is that much better, the cabins etc. We've run out of options for NCL as we don't like the larger ships and always choose the Caribbean. We will go on the Spirit in Nov 2015 and the Dawn in Dec 2016.

Our 2 favorite lines are HAL and NCL. for totally different reasons. We like the overall energy of NCL and the entertainment, plus the friendly crew. HAL crew members are very helpful but much more formal. Yes, the food is better on HAL and the cabins are larger. I will add, as for the food, NCL specialty dining is much better than HAL in our opinion. HAL little features are things like: fresh flowers throughout the ships, full room service breakfast, and a wonderful library plus better pre port talks. On the other hand, the passengers, though nice are a little more subdued and less friendly. Overall, I think you will be happy with your choice. I see you ask about formal night, it has been about 5 years since we cruised HAL but formal night was very formal. Even if not totally enforced you would feel our of place in anything less that suits for men and very dressy after 5 dress for women.

Edited by newmexicoNita

My first HAL cruise was when I was mid 40's and it is still my favorite line. I have only done one NCL cruise so can only compare parts of the differences.

HAL does have older passengers but the vast majority are 40 year olds in 70 year old bodies. Everyone I have met has been energetic and friendly. The activities are geared to an older crowd but thats good anyway because I don;t go on a cruise to blasted by rap music. Old fashioned I guess.

HAL has somewhat better food including little things I really enjoy. Eggs Benedict in the buffet made 6 different ways. Freshly made waffles with all the good fixings (strawberries, boysenberries etc). I also like the fact that you can have dinner served in your stateroom (the same offerings available in the dining room) as long as you order in the first hour of dinner service. The room service also includes full hot breakfasts if you want. And unlike NCL, there is no charge for this.

You will find the balcony rooms tend to be larger than on NCL and the staff will take a bit better care of you.

These are my opinions and may be based on one bad cruise. I cannot believe all the staff of NCL are as bad as the ones I had on only one cruise. Regardless, you should have a great time on HAL.

We sailed HAL Zuiderdam 10 day Panama Canal. Of 15 cruises on various lines that was a top 2 or 3.

Average age was 50's-60's, we 40's.

Shows good and there was an active nightlife, unlike what we were led to believe.

Good food, Ship decor was very nautical and made you feel your on a ship. Crew were very considerate and friendly.

Can get a full hot breakfast in your cabin on debarkation morning, and you can stay in your cabin till you are called over the intercom to leave.

I would have no problem sailing with HAL again.

We sail on Holland when we like to destress. There are two things that are not to our liking on Holland. First of all, formal night is very formal. I don't like to have to pack the extras for a couple of nights. Secondly, we personally don't care for their entertainment. That's a biggie for my husband as he loves to see a good show in the evening. I have been on the Oosterdam twice. It's a nice boat. We had a veranda that opened onto the promenade. We actually enjoyed that. We thought we were not big ship people, but it turns out that we enjoyed the Epic so much last month, that we are sailing on it again next month. We will be in the Haven. I have had a large suite on Holland before and they do such a nice job. I can't wait to see how NCL does it.

We have sailed both lines. Until HAL moved most of it's ships from San Diego, it was our line of choice.

I pretty much agree with what the others have said. the O is a nice ship, and balcony cabins tend to run larger than on NCL.

We have only had suites on NCL, and they have a fabulous suite package. Would sail in a suite in a heartbeat on NCL. (NCL has tiny inside cabins.)

HAL formal night is usually pretty much a dress up night-----many suits for men. I have stopped wearing long formal gowns, and wear cocktail dresses.

We are 68 and 67, and don't like the big ships either. You need a taxi to go from one end to the other on some of them. :D

I'm pretty sure you will enjoy this cruise..

Patti

I sailed once in December on Westerdam in a balcony cabin. Thought the room was a very nice size. The bathroom had a tub, which NCL tends to shower stall only unless you go mini-suite or full suite. The cabin had a DVD player and guest services had a library of old movies and shows you could borrow.

As far as food, I did notice far fewer choices in MDR compared to NCL. The difference primarily is NCL has changing daily choice and everyday options. Holland had the changing daily, but no everyday. So essentially half as many menu choices of appetizers and entrees.

I thought the pizza tasted better on Holland. The buffet on Westerdam was a large enough size with more than fair variety of food. You could self-serve on most things, but food had to be plated by staff for almost all of the hot items.

When it comes to entertainment, Holland is different. I would certainly call it more sedate. That is not to say the entertainment is bad, just not high energy.

I'm doing the opposite and after 80+ HAL cruises have booked a cruise on NCL where I have never before sailed. I lost my DH this past year and I am not ready to board an HAL ship without him but want to start my way back to sailing again. When friends invited me to join them on Dawn, I thought that a good idea as there will be no memories of 'us' on that ship/cruise line.

HAL MDR menus has 'always available' items on it every night. They have been rearranging the way the menu is presented but you can always order a sirloin steak, grilled chicken, onion soup, baked potato, Caesar salad and grilled salmon.... probably a few other things. Those items are in addition to whatever they are offering each particular night.

My late DH and I always sailed in Neptune "SA" Suites on HAL ships and I have booked a "SE" Penthouse on Dawn. I'll be very interested to compare. :) I expect the balconies I'm used to might be considerably larger but doesn't really matter seeing I'll be solo in the cabin.

Edited by sail7seas

HAL MDR menus has 'always available' items on it every night. They have been rearranging the way the menu is presented but you can always order a sirloin steak, grilled chicken, onion soup, baked potato, Caesar salad and grilled salmon.... probably a few other things. Those items are in addition to whatever they are offering each particular night.

I can only surmise there is a "secret" menu because what you mention did not show on the menu I was handed each night.

Having done a couple of HAL and one on NCL, one of the main differences I noticed was that NCL doesn't have as many daytime activities for adults. When we were on HAL, I'd have to go through my daily, ticking off things I wanted, prioritising, trying to decide what I really wanted to do. On NCL, we didn't do anything. I'm not a drinker, or interested in bingo/art auctions.

I think the HAL MDR food is better than NCL overall, but there's not much in it to be honest.

On our HAL cruises, we were pretty much the youngest (except for a few children) and we're in our mid 30s. On NCL, it was much more diverse.

HAL definitely dresses up more - even on non-formal nights, I changed for dinner. I didn't ever wear jeans into the MDR and I didn't see anyone else in them, either. On NCL, I didn't worry about it and it was easier for packing!

My late DH and I always sailed in Neptune "SA" Suites on HAL ships and I have booked a "SE" Penthouse on Dawn. I'll be very interested to compare. :) I expect the balconies I'm used to might be considerably larger but doesn't really matter seeing I'll be solo in the cabin.

Hello Sail. I remember you from the HAL boards..:)

You will enjoy the suite/penthouse experience on NCL. We have had 2 outstanding butlers. One day, on our last cruise, we never left the cabin after lunch. He brought us sandwiches, and other goodies. So relaxing.

Patti

How formal is formal night on Hal? Is their dress code strictly adhered to?

We prefer NCL's Dress up or Not Night.

The dress code is adhered to. While not as formal as it once was guests were still dressed up on the Nieuw Amsterdam in January. Cocktail dresses and suits were the norm with some tuxes and gowns.

Hello Sail. I remember you from the HAL boards..:)

You will enjoy the suite/penthouse experience on NCL. We have had 2 outstanding butlers. One day, on our last cruise, we never left the cabin after lunch. He brought us sandwiches, and other goodies. So relaxing.

Patti

I wouldn't mind a little of that sort of spoiling. :D

I've sailed both lines and HAL wins hands down. Hope you enjoy the Oosterdam.

To compare NCL to HAL isn't Apples to Apples, or even Apples to Oranges. It's more like Apples to Steak. I've been on one HAL cruise (With another scheduled for this June) and one NCL cruise (With one scheduled for next March). In my experience both had something to offer and delivered a great experience. HAL was quieter (Almost no kids), great service, classic. But yes, people did dress for dinner. HAL gets very quiet after 9. HAL is closer to the way things use to be.

NCL is more casual, usually more kids, louder, faster pace. NCL has more choices for specialty dining and the entertainment is usually better.

The Suite life on NCL is sweeter than on HAL. There is an inroom espresso machine in every suite so you don't really need the Neptune for anything. Plus, the butler and concierge can help you much more than the Neptune attendants. The service is much more personal on NCL. The entertainment and specialty restaurants on NCL are also superior to HAL though the Pinnacle and Tamarind are excellent. We do not ever eat at the main dining room on NCL while we find the main dining room on HAL to be very good.

I abhor the formal nights on HAL. They are much to do about nothing. I have no idea why they insist on maintaining such an outdated policy. My solution is to not follow it and let them loan me a jacket. We have actually chosen NCL several times over HAL because of their formal mights.

The biggest drawback, and it is big, is the pool experience on NCL compared to HAL. Our family loves the sedate and refined experience on HAL much more than the party atmosphere on NCL.

I love the Owner's suites on NCL and would sail in any of them in a heartbeat. They compare favorably to the Neptune Suites, which we also truly enjoy.

Both are good products.

I suspect you do not have a forward SE Penthouse booked. Those balconies on the Dawn are enormous. Plenty of room for even 6 people.

I'm doing the opposite and after 80+ HAL cruises have booked a cruise on NCL where I have never before sailed. I lost my DH this past year and I am not ready to board an HAL ship without him but want to start my way back to sailing again. When friends invited me to join them on Dawn, I thought that a good idea as there will be no memories of 'us' on that ship/cruise line.

I am sorry for your loss. I hope you find the Dawn as likable as many do. It will be a truely new experience for you in several ways. As for the "always available" NCL has the same. They just recently changed the name. You can get, steak, flounder, chicken breast or one other thing any night. I will froewarn you, the steak isn't very good.

We usually sail NCL, but have been on HAL a couple of times. Our last was the Neiuw Amsterdam in March, in a Neptune suite.

MDR - both about the same. Nothing write home about at either. They do still have one lobster night on HAL, not on NCL anymore. Although the lobster was pretty much tasteless.

Specialty dining. A lot more options on NCL and very good. As someone else stated the Pinnacle and Taramind are very good on HAL. They do one night as Le Cirque, in the Pinnacle. The food was wonderful.

Entertainment - no contest here. NCL is top notch, with a lot of variety. Especially on the newer ships , EPIC and all going forward.

Formal dress - My biggest beef with HAL is the MDR formal nights. Everyone pretends that's it's special to go the MDR on those nights. Given the food is not even comparable to the Pinnacle or Taramind, I not sure why they consider it special. I can't remember the last time a got dressed up to go to the Outback steakhouse.