Elizabeth to Newark Transportation

Raynebaby

We'd like to go see a hockey if they are playing when we're in NYC for our cruise, we're currently booked at the Country Inn and Suites and we'd go see the New Jersey Devils play at the Prudential Center in Newark.

Any idea how much it would cost for transportation, I checked Carmellimo and it's 86$ each way, is there a cheaper option?

We could also go to Madison Square Garden to see a game but that might make it more complicated.

There are a number of options - local cab, train, and bus.

How many people are you?

I'd look first at local cab. Cab fare to downtown Newark should be in the $25-30 range. If you take the hotel shuttle back to the airport, you can take the free Airtrain to the train station and take the NJ Transit train one stop to downtown Newark for $8.25. Local bus 40 leaves from Jersey Gardens Mall Cinema near your hotel and stops in downtown Newark very close to the Prudential Center for $2.35 taking about 35 min, but it runs only about once an hour.

So you might want to do a combination of transportation. Just remember that Newark is a highly industrialized urban area and you don't want to be hanging out on a corner waiting for a bus back late at night.

I know it's not regulated in NJ, but many use Uber here. DH needed a ride to Newark airport last week, usually a $45 cab ride, and an uber driver was at our house in 8 minutes, and I think the fare was $20? Uber is also helpful if no one wants to be a designated driver.

Have you prepaid Country Inns? If not, you might want to consider switching to a Newark hotel if you can get hockey tickets. That would give you easier and cheaper access to both the Prudential Center and Madison Square Garden.

Also, you are sailing on the Gem? How did you plan to go into NYC for the cruise? Train access to NY from Newark is very good and costs $5/pp each way instead of the $12.50/pp from Newark Airport. Look at the Robert Treat hotel which offers a free airport shuttle and train shuttle plus free breakfast. I stayed there in Jan and was very happy with the room and the pleasant location facing a park. Newark Penn Station is only a few blocks away, but shouldn't be walked at night.

i want to say that the prudential arena has an almost totally indoor route from Newark PennStation and the downtown Hilton....and during events there, it is one of the most secure areas around....i felt safe at night after attending a concert.....might be an idea

That's good to know. I felt safe in downtown, even waiting for the hotel shuttle in front of the station. I liked the hotel. IMO there is no compelling reason for the OP to stay at the airport if they are making sports plans in downtown Newark or Madison Square Garden and are sailing from NYC. Other options should be considered.

The Country was the cheapest hotel I found, I got it for 119 per night and no it's not prepaid, we are planning on taking Dial7 to the port. We don't travel light so I'm not sure taking the train would be a good option.

Tell me more about the options out there, I liked the Country Inn because it's next to the mall and we wanted to go shopping for clothes and xmas gifts.

Yes we are sailing on the Gem, the dates are November 10-13th for 2 adults.

Edited by Raynebaby
added a note

The Country was the cheapest hotel I found, I got it for 119 per night and no it's not prepaid, we are planning on taking Dial7 to the port. We don't travel light so I'm not sure taking the train would be a good option.

Tell me more about the options out there, I liked the Country Inn because it's next to the mall and we wanted to go shopping for clothes and xmas gifts.

Yes we are sailing on the Gem, the dates are November 10-13th for 2 adults.

Shopping is another consideration. You're from Canada, right? So the Jersey Gardens Mall would probably be more of an attraction for you than folks from other parts of the U.S.

If you're planning to go into New York on both days, then I'd consider the Robert Treat in Newark to reduce your transportation costs. You can also take the bus from Newark to the Plaza at Harmon Meadow in Secaucus for $2.90. Bus 78 - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0078.pdf

Lots of choices.

The Robert Treat MIGHT shuttle you to Jersey Gardens...many hotels will, on their airport runs, but since that one is in Downtown Newark they may not...

Just an idea...the mall has a shuttle from EWR to and from, but it's not free.....again, just a thought

Thanks for the replies, I'll wait and see what the NHL schedule is like and see what's going on, if there's a game on the 10/11/12, we'll keep it as is as we are planning on taking a tour of NYC on one of the days anyways and there's a free shuttle back to the P4 for our tour.

Thanks for the replies, I'll wait and see what the NHL schedule is like and see what's going on, if there's a game on the 10/11/12, we'll keep it as is as we are planning on taking a tour of NYC on one of the days anyways and there's a free shuttle back to the P4 for our tour.

You can also take the NJ transit train to NY Penn station, which sits underneath MSG. Also, don't forget the Islanders move to Brooklyn next season and you can always hop the subway to their arena for a game. You (depending on when you are going) have a pretty good chance of one of the 3 teams being in town when you are there. :D