Oh Crap! I just thought about something!

pls5286

I am having an Oh Crap moment! I have a programmable valve in my head that is set with magnets, and can be reset by metal detectors. My wallet was stolen and my implanted device card was in it. I have not been on a trip since this happened. Will I have lots of trouble with security since I can't walk through the detectors? I can be wanded from the neck down as well as patted down. I don't want to cause much of a stir at security, I prefer to keep it on the low side and not cause undue attention. I have been to several courthouses without the card and not had an issue. You can see the indention in the top of my forehead where the valve goes in.

I am having an Oh Crap moment! I have a programmable valve in my head that is set with magnets, and can be reset by metal detectors. My wallet was stolen and my implanted device card was in it. I have not been on a trip since this happened. Will I have lots of trouble with security since I can't walk through the detectors? I can be wanded from the neck down as well as patted down. I don't want to cause much of a stir at security, I prefer to keep it on the low side and not cause undue attention. I have been to several courthouses without the card and not had an issue. You can see the indention in the top of my forehead where the valve goes in.

Could you not simply request a new card? You have about 2 months. Seems like that should be plenty of time to get a new one. Are you flying? I would expect more problems with the flying then the cruise ship, but you go through metal detectors often on cruise ships as well. I am sure you could let them know, but getting a new card would make everything easier on everyone. While you discuss this each time you get to a detector there is a line of people behind you waiting for you to resolve your issue before they can proceed.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

My dad has one, never had a problem. Not enough metal to set off the detector. Also, there is a bump and a scar where the shunt was placed, so no worries there.

BUT- you need to carry a card, which can be replaced in 7 days max. If you were to need care and were unable to answer questions, the providers need to know about your shunt. The information can be gathered from th e implanting surgeon's office and your regular physician will also have a copy.

Happy sailings

I have a spinal neuro stimulator. No one has ever asked to see my card. I just tell them before I have to go through the screening that I can't go through the metal detector. Its always assumed I have a pacemaker so I don't go into detail and just get a mild pat down. This has worked on planes and cruise ships. But I do always have the card with me and I would advise you to ask for a replacement just in case.

I would get a letter from your surgeon and apply immediately for a new card. I know prosthetic heart valves cards are very easy (and fast) to get replacements.

Even with a letter from your surgeon, you should always have a card. Doctors die, retire, go out of practice and records are not always as complete and available as we sometimes assume.

Hubby has a pacemaker, so can't be "wanded", either. He's never, ever had to show his card...simply tells the security folks that he has to be hand-searched, and why. Not a problem!

Once on the ship, the security folks will remember him, and most times, will just wave him through!