Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour

scrappi

Here is a picture of the lower seats.

9495603225_139a44ba64_b.jpg

Nice...when we were on end of May 2013 it was packed not one empty seat...you were very lucky....with so many empty seats according to your picture.

Does anyone know if this tour has assigned seating or is it first come, first served?

Seems odd to me to offer Bering sea fishing tours in southern Alaska. Sort of like offering Louisiana shrimp fishing tours in New York

How early should you arrive for this excursion to get a good seat

We have been on this excursion a number of times. The best seats to get pictures of the eagles picking up fish from the water is on the very end (so you can stand at the railing) or on the top deck.

The Aleutian Ballad was featured on Season Two of the TV series "Deadliest Catch". The owner has converted the boat to a tourist boat with the bleachers.

Since king crab season is January/February in the Bering Sea, the king crab are staged using live king crab in crab pots. The purpose of the tour is to demonstrate crab fishing of various types and is well presented. A secondary theme is to discuss the making of the TV series in the huge waves and freezing temperatures of the Bering Sea. The sea stories are amazing.

You will see why this excursion is rated at the top of all Alaska excrusions.

arieties of crab in different locations .

Yes. There are handicapped seats on the front row as well as parking locations for those with scooters.

Adding to this: When we took this excursion in June of 2012, I had recently lost my mother to Cancer. After caring for her and taking her places with a walker and seeing how terribly restaurants treat people with mobility issues - nearly every time we were shown to a table in the back of the restaurant - maneuvering a walker through crowds of tables and chairs, I was touched to see how caring and careful the guys on the Aleutian Ballad were helping people in wheel chairs and with scooters get on and off the boat. It really stood out to me.

That being said - we LOVED the excursion so much, we are doing it again on our trip this summer.

Adding to this: When we took this excursion in June of 2012, I had recently lost my mother to Cancer. After caring for her and taking her places with a walker and seeing how terribly restaurants treat people with mobility issues - nearly every time we were shown to a table in the back of the restaurant - maneuvering a walker through crowds of tables and chairs, I was touched to see how caring and careful the guys on the Aleutian Ballad were helping people in wheel chairs and with scooters get on and off the boat. It really stood out to me.

That being said - we LOVED the excursion so much, we are doing it again on our trip this summer.

My DW's first Aleutian Ballad excursion was in 2008. My wife was on her scooter and Captain Dave (Owner) asked if she could make it to the wheelhouse. It took my DW, with Captain Daves's help some time, but she made it to the wheelhouse. She was thrilled to have the same view as the TV cameras had on the "Deadliest Catch." When asked how she was doing, my DW asked where to buy the yellow jackets. Captain Dave said the yellow jackets were sold out and then gave her his jacket. She has that jacket still and remains in contact with Captain Dave to this day.

The Aleutian Ballad is very handicapped-friendly and they go out of their way to make the disabled have a memorable time.

That's too bad about your mother and restaurants. I never hesitate to ask the host or hostess to make sure we are given a table that doesn't require my husband to walk too far. I'm glad to hear that they treat people with disabilities well on the tour.

• 1 month later...
Per experience, did you guys see a few vacant seats available during the tours? We would like to keep this as a backup plan and plan to book after reaching the Port. We would be there on June 25th.

I have never seen the boat full but I usually go to Alaska in May. Some of my excursions aboard were in the rain so perhaps some folks stayed on their ships.

The Aleutian Ballad has a covered passenger area on the main deck and heating lamps overhead if the temp gets too cold.

Per experience, did you guys see a few vacant seats available during the tours? We would like to keep this as a backup plan and plan to book after reaching the Port. We would be there on June 25th.

We have gone twice in mid to late May and both times the lower deck seating was full...causing some on the upper deck when they came downstairs they had to sit on the stairs at times.

Booking this once in port may be very risky...I wouldn't take that chance if it's something you want to do..not really a backup plan type of excursion as it's one of the most popular in Ketchikan.

Last year it was full when we went in late August.....better to buy your tickets on line direct from them....you will save $30 per person over the ship cost ( Princess)

eclue:rolleyes:

We did this tour several years ago and many of us moved around a lot to get various views.

It is heartwarming to read about the TLC the crew gives to less mobile guests. We were in ketchikan last month berthed next to their crab boat. We watched passengers disembark, everyone smiling, many people were hugging the crew as they left or taking one last picture.

We are going on a cruise September of 2016 and this is the one extra I cannot wait to go on. I am very mobility challenged and use a walker and I am so happy to hear all the great comments about how helpful they are to people such as myself. Thanks for the great info everyone.... We are sailing on Celebrity and I have heard it docks right beside this tour.... Anyone know if that is true....??

We are going on a cruise September of 2016 and this is the one extra I cannot wait to go on. I am very mobility challenged and use a walker and I am so happy to hear all the great comments about how helpful they are to people such as myself. Thanks for the great info everyone.... We are sailing on Celebrity and I have heard it docks right beside this tour.... Anyone know if that is true....??

We took this tour in May of this year. We were on the Celebrity Millennium and it was docked near this tour...I wouldn't say it was right beside the tour. We disembarked from the ship and there was a Bering Sea employee in a bright yellow jacket who directed us down the dock to the next yellow jacketed employee, who directed us down the ramp to board the Bering Sea boat. But that said, I am sure if both Celebrity and the Bering Sea folks know in advance you might need some additional assistance they will be more than happy to provide it. It was one of our favorite excursions and I'm sure they will help make your experience enjoyable.