Travel Agent On Board Credit- NCL

kattlinx13

Hello, I have a question on the on board credit's. Each one in our cabin (3) will be receiving a $50 on board credit that is coming from the company we booked our cruise with. Can we use this on board credit towards the gratuity that we will pay?($12 p.p per day) I have not pre paid the gratuity charge. I was hoping to apply the credit toward that. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I also have a friend going in another cabin and she is wondering the same thing as she has 4 people.

Thanks. :)

It is my understanding that OBC cannot be used to pay the daily service charges.

I heard that you can not use it only if it is directly from NCL. It is coming from my travel agent. Has anyone else had this before?

I heard that you can not use it only if it is directly from NCL. It is coming from my travel agent. Has anyone else had this before?

On our last cruise in January we had $300 from NCL and $100 from TA. The full NCL portion was non refundable and could not be used for DSC. The TA portion was split evenly between non refundable and refundable. The $50 refundable portion was applied to the DSC.

Check with your TA and see how they apply it, that will make the difference. We will have almost $600 from TA in December and TA wasn't sure how it would be split but assured us that the non refundable portion would more than cover DSC. Good luck. Have a great trip.

Hello, I have a question on the on board credit's. Each one in our cabin (3) will be receiving a $50 on board credit that is coming from the company we booked our cruise with. Can we use this on board credit towards the gratuity that we will pay?($12 p.p per day) I have not pre paid the gratuity charge. I was hoping to apply the credit toward that. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I also have a friend going in another cabin and she is wondering the same thing as she has 4 people.

First of all the gratuities are $12.95 per day and next, depending on whether the OBC is really from your agent or a package (blocked space) the company got from NCL, but let's just say, if you are like most of us, you will spend $50 a person on other things anyway so it will all be the same.

You can get up to 10% OBC from your TA (like mine). If they purchase it, you can use it for anything. Based on the information you have provided, it sounds like they might have a group and you are getting the $50 through that. In this case, no, you cannot use it for gratuity.

The company I booked my cruise thru- Cruiseone had a promotion at the time I booked. $50 on board credit per person. This was on top of the unlimited drink package we took. My travel agent said that he calls the on board credit in yo Norwegian two weeks before sailing date. Yeah I guess I will find the $150 to spend on board but I was just wondering if it could be applied to the gratuity. And also, the gratuity for us is not $12.95. We are locked into the $12. It jumped up after we booked. Thanks everyone for your responses. :)

I believe to be locked into the $12 DSC you needed to choose, before March 1st, prepayment (to be added to your final payment or to just pay it at that time). So if you wait to pay it on board, I wouldn't be surprised if you are charged the $12.95 pppd.

I know when I was given the option, I prepaid it before March 1st to avoid any

confusion.

Here is the email I received:

Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its daily service charges, effective for all sailings that depart on or after March 1, 2015.

The new rates are:

$12.95 per person per day for any category up to a mini-suite stateroom

$14.95 per person per day for any suite category

You can choose to pre-pay your service charges at the current rate of $12 per person per day. If charged on board, the new rates will apply.

Edited by AEckhardt

Yes, this is a purchased OBC and it can be used for any expense you have. Some OBC, such as the NCL promo that is going on right now, cannot be used for certain expenses, but OBC that you or someone else actually pays for has no limitations on use.

The company I booked my cruise thru- Cruiseone had a promotion at the time I booked. $50 on board credit per person. This was on top of the unlimited drink package we took. My travel agent said that he calls the on board credit in yo Norwegian two weeks before sailing date. Yeah I guess I will find the $150 to spend on board but I was just wondering if it could be applied to the gratuity. And also, the gratuity for us is not $12.95. We are locked into the $12. It jumped up after we booked. Thanks everyone for your responses. :)

Your gratuity is NOT locked unless you pay before boarding. If you wait to pay on the ship you pay the higher rate.

I believe to be locked into the $12 DSC you needed to choose, before March 1st, prepayment (to be added to your final payment or to just pay it at that time).

You belief is incorrect. As long as you have booked before the raise, and prepay before the cruise, your service charge rate is locked. I haven't yet but I could prepay today at $12pppd for our Jan 2016 cruise because of our booking date.

I believe to be locked into the $12 DSC you needed to choose, before March 1st, prepayment (to be added to your final payment or to just pay it at that time). So if you wait to pay it on board, I wouldn't be surprised if you are charged the $12.95 pppd.

I know when I was given the option, I prepaid it before March 1st to avoid any

confusion.

Here is the email I received:

Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its daily service charges, effective for all sailings that depart on or after March 1, 2015.

The new rates are:

$12.95 per person per day for any category up to a mini-suite stateroom

$14.95 per person per day for any suite category

You can choose to pre-pay your service charges at the current rate of $12 per person per day. If charged on board, the new rates will apply.

AEckhardt,

You are 100% correct. I called NCL on February 25th and after specifically asking what I needed to do to avoid paying the increase, I was told I needed to pay by the end of February. I did end pre-paying while I had them on the phone.

I don't care to try and convince anyone else, because I know I beat the increase. The biggest problem with this board are the people who say "Your belief is incorrect", instead of saying "I disagree - it's my understanding that...".

NCL will remain the best source for information regarding their charges, and they are the ones I will trust.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to pre pay online and just get it out of the way. One more thing to get out of thruway then the kids will have money to spend in the game room and whatever else. Happy cruising everyone. :)