Why not 1 really good formal night instead of 2 half hearted ones?

I think RCI could make formal night popular again, especially on 7 day itineraries, by going from 2 half hearted (weak) nights to 1 really spectacular night. White glove service. Special captains and officer events all evening. Midnight buffet on formal night. An ice carving show and display. Display some of the grandeur thrown away to save costs the past 10 to 20 years.

The thought being maybe if the cruise line put some Chutzpah back into their efforts more people would get excited for it and participate. I'd look forward to one really nice event versus what currently is really no different than other evenings offerings.

I like your idea. And I agree if the cruise line made it a really special night people would be more inclined to dress up. Most people know the current 2 night thing is half-hearted and treat it as such, just a semi feeble attempt to sell high margin photos.

Now, changing from my cruiser's hat to my business person's hat, what is in it for the cruise line? Yea, more cruises would be dress up, but would I sell more photos, more booze? Would the extra cost of the white glove service, the midnight buffet and the ice carvings be made up somewhere? Would I need to hire more officers to cover off for the ones attending this special event? Could I jack up my base fares to cover these extra costs? Does my target demographic - the zip liners, ice skaters, water show watchers, flow rider crowd really want this and are they willing to pay for it? Lots of questions to be answered for the suits at Corporate.

Like your idea, just not sure the cruise line will.

LMaxwell, your posts are generally quite intelligent and well-reasoned, but on occasion you come out with one of these and have me shaking my head and going "huh"?

Have three vodka tonics by 9AM and you'll understand me just fine! CATCH UP!.

Just kidding:D

Cruisers are 'self selecting' now -- they are selecting less formal attire and sending that message loud and clear -- all you have to do is look around a ship.

Yes. But is it a chicken and egg thing?

"We haven't offered midnight buffets in years, many new cruisers have never heard of one or seen it, but they are also not asking for it." somehow becomes "Cruisers don't want midnight buffets, so we aren't going to offer them."

Lots of well reasoned and varied opinions in here.

I happen to like the formal nights, though on the 2nd one I just wear a sport jacket with no tie. I would love one real formal night. I don't mean a tux for men, just a suit, but I don't see it happening the way people feel about dressing up now. A lot of people have to dress up for work, so they don't on vacation. The only times I do dress up are on a cruise, a funeral, or a wedding.

Yes. But is it a chicken and egg thing?

"We haven't offered midnight buffets in years, many new cruisers have never heard of one or seen it, but they are also not asking for it." somehow becomes "Cruisers don't want midnight buffets, so we aren't going to offer them."

Lots of well reasoned and varied opinions in here.

IMHO, that's not a good example. They went away for multiple reasons- I'm sure one of them being customers who just don't want it. Once the population got high enough, plus a few other reasons- the midnight buffet went away.

If old cruisers didn't go for it, what makes you think new cruisers would?

We started crusing in 2001, and didn't find the midnight buffet appealing. And don't see the appeal to the internal ice sculpture thing. I would not go to one now if it were offered.

A midnight deck party? If we were awake, we would. And have.

Other than the buffet, what other things would make a formal night special?

What's kind of funny- we have watched some of the cruise shows on the various cable channels- and some of the most high end ones don't have formal night at all. Yes, there are others where a suit is called for every night. But there are options, at least. On RCI cruises, you have the option or not to dress- best of both worlds, as I see it. Nobody dumps stuff on us and our nice clothing, and we don't care if someone is wearing shorts. What other people wear does not change me.

All I can say my wonderful friends is :

Watch this space ........

I'm hoping after May 6th, our little dreams may come true !!

back to the other fella about luggage etc.

that makes absolutely no sense. They do tux hire on anthem and they did on indy and voyager.

I'm not going to fight the "polo shirt and slacks" crew. At the end of the day, if you want to look like you've just come off the golf course, then that's your choice. (don't forget the plus fours and tammy shanter next time)

I do agree with the posters who said that the cruise lines have contributed to the decline of formal night. They would probably do away with it as another cutback, but do not want to alienate a substantial share of repeat cruisers.

I also believe that baggage fees do play into people's decision about formal night. At $25 to $50 per bag each way, the price of formal night isn't worth it if it requires another bag. The same fees discourage me from bringing along things like snorkel gear and golf clubs.

That said, I think that it is a great idea.

It might just work IF the cruise line would make it a real formal meal from the past. Not just white glove service, but make it a full 6 or 7 course meal, with quality food offerings to match. The meal would be the draw and dressing up would be the price of admission.

LMaxwell, your posts are generally quite intelligent and well-reasoned, but on occasion you come out with one of these and have me shaking my head and going "huh"?

I honestly think the whole baggage fees argument is much more of a convenient excuse than a really valid argument. If the cruise line insisted on tuxedos - or even suits - for formal nights, than it might have more validity. The fact is, they don't. A jacket & tie, along with dress slacks - is perfectly acceptable for formal night. The jacket is easily worn on the plane, the tie weighs essentially nothing, and the dress slacks weigh less & take less room (and are cooler & more comfortable) than the jeans that the "vocal minority" here are constantly insisting they prefer.

Am I the only one who carries a suit bag with our clothes for formal night on the plane with us as carryon so we don't have to pay the extra luggage fee?? :confused:

With the exception of our upcoming cruise in October flying on Southwest so we won't have extra luggage fees. :cool:

It might just work IF the cruise line would make it a real formal meal from the past. Not just white glove service, but make it a full 6 or 7 course meal, with quality food offerings to match. The meal would be the draw and dressing up would be the price of admission.

You never know. I enjoy the formal nights, myself, but I wouldn't have that much interest in a 6 or 7 course meal. That might be enough to drive me away from formal night.

I honestly think the whole baggage fees argument is much more of a convenient excuse than a really valid argument.

I agree completely. The cruise lines could provide a complimentary tuxedo and I still wouldn't wear it. We just don't like to dress up.

For the record, we don't go anywhere near the MDR on formal nights.

I think RCI could make formal night popular again, especially on 7 day itineraries, by going from 2 half hearted (weak) nights to 1 really spectacular night. White glove service. Special captains and officer events all evening. Midnight buffet on formal night. An ice carving show and display. Display some of the grandeur thrown away to save costs the past 10 to 20 years.

The thought being maybe if the cruise line put some Chutzpah back into their efforts more people would get excited for it and participate. I'd look forward to one really nice event versus what currently is really no different than other evenings offerings.

LMax, there is only one thing which would make formal nights more popular and convince more folks to dress up to participate. It's none of the things you mentioned.

If you want to convince more people to participate and dress to the occasion, provide free booze in the MDR on formal nights to those who dress up. That might work and it might even be cheaper than the things you suggested. Get people drunk and they might even buy more photographs.

Am I the only one who carries a suit bag with our clothes for formal night on the plane with us as carryon so we don't have to pay the extra luggage fee?? :confused:

With the exception of our upcoming cruise in October flying on Southwest so we won't have extra luggage fees. :cool:

We do- all of our luggage is carry on- and we have enough for both formal nights.

I think it's more a matter of choice than anything else. Heck, our clothing is just enough to be casual for every night- but, again, I don't care. I look nice on formal nights because I want to.

I also totally recognize that jeans are super bulky- so if people are wearing those (which they probably brought more than one pair)- that is a specific choice to wear that over a suit.

So no matter what the cruise does, I don't see that changing.

Still- I don't understand how the midnight buffet being super special would make formal night more formal.

Seeing people wear casual clothes to the best restaurants and the nicest concernts- nothing the cruise line do will get it back to super formal.

Nobody dresses up to fly, very few dress up to work in a professional environment, etc.

Heck, people used to wear a jacket at tie to sporting events. Now it's team jersies.

We do- all of our luggage is carry on- and we have enough for both formal nights.

I think it's more a matter of choice than anything else. Heck, our clothing is just enough to be casual for every night- but, again, I don't care. I look nice on formal nights because I want to.

I also totally recognize that jeans are super bulky- so if people are wearing those (which they probably brought more than one pair)- that is a specific choice to wear that over a suit.

So no matter what the cruise does, I don't see that changing.

Still- I don't understand how the midnight buffet being super special would make formal night more formal.

Seeing people wear casual clothes to the best restaurants and the nicest concernts- nothing the cruise line do will get it back to super formal.

Nobody dresses up to fly, very few dress up to work in a professional environment, etc.

Heck, people used to wear a jacket at tie to sporting events. Now it's team jersies.

And on formal nights after we have taken pictures, ate and then maybe strolled down the promenade, we usually go back to the room and change back into what we had on earlier if it was not all sweaty. So if there was a midnight buffet thing going on we wouldn't be in the dinner clothes any longer anyway!

LMax, there is only one thing which would make formal nights more popular and convince more folks to dress up to participate. It's none of the things you mentioned.

If you want to convince more people to participate and dress to the occasion, provide free booze in the MDR on formal nights to those who dress up. That might work and it might even be cheaper than the things you suggested. Get people drunk and they might even buy more photographs.

I had not even considered that. I certainly think it is a viable option; maybe provide tables complimentary house wine. Nice idea

And on formal nights after we have taken pictures, ate and then maybe strolled down the promenade, we usually go back to the room and change back into what we had on earlier if it was not all sweaty. So if there was a midnight buffet thing going on we wouldn't be in the dinner clothes any longer anyway!

The sweat thing is partially why I spent some good money on a nice suit that can deal with the warmth. I can manage to wear it all night. And enjoy it. whew!

Edited by alfaeric

Never said more formal. Said more special. More participation. More differentiated events and cruise specific traditions. That doesn't mean people need to necessarily dress MORE formal; not advocating a requirement of tuxes and ball gowns.

I only used midnight buffet as an example of "something" that was a cruise tradition that could be brought back for one evening to make the overall evening more differentiated and special and thereby, maybe, encourage more people to participate. It does not appeal to you and you would not participate. No worries!

Right now Formal Night(s) are mostly to sell photos. The cruise line doesn't do anything special or differentiated from a normal night in the MDR. "Half pregnant". Well, either it is or it isn't. People can't bemoan others not dressing up when the "occasion" doesn't really do anything to require it.

I agree completely. The cruise lines could provide a complimentary tuxedo and I still wouldn't wear it. We just don't like to dress up.

For the record, we don't go anywhere near the MDR on formal nights.

For the record, I totally respect your position of not liking to dress up, AND your practice of not going to the MDR on formal night. Some (like us) enjoy dressing up - it's a nice "date night" - but others don't and there's nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks!

The ones I take issue with are the ones who belligerently state "I paid for the MDR dinner and I'm going to eat there" BUT at the same time state that they have no intention of following the cruise line's clearly stated minimum dress code for MDR dining.

Right now Formal Night(s) are mostly to sell photos. The cruise line doesn't do anything special or differentiated from a normal night in the MDR.

That's not fact, though, it's merely your opinion. And there are others who feel as you do, but also many who would disagree. The formal nights tend to have the nicer menus. That is, of course, subjective. A lot of people get excited about "lobster night", for example, and others don't particularly care for the lobster. The first formal night usually coincides with the Captain's Welcome Aboard reception with champaign/cocktails. To YOU it may be nothing more than a photo op, but it's really more than that.

Of course, there's also the supposed lack of "white glove service" that you and some others complain about. With a couple exceptions here and there, I've almost always had excellent service in the dining room. I'm not sure exactly what would upgrade it to "white glove" status.

I have been cruising for quite some time and can't honestly remember when Royal Caribbean had a formal night. A dark suit and tie are not considered appropriate attire for most "formal" affairs. Over the years these boards have sizzled with the passionate feeling of those who think fellow cruisers are obligated to conform to RCCL's dress code and those who think that the dress code is merely a suggestion. Who's right? I don't think it matters.

We have become a much more casual society. Look at how people dress for church, weddings, funerals, dinner at a nice restaurants or when at the airport. Like it or not formal, except for the truly elite, is probably becoming a thing of the past. There seems to be enough cruisers who would still like to have a formal night but I don't think it can it work. So how about this.

Let's have a formal event. A pay to play event, perhaps $50 a person. That should appeal to RCCL. It could be held in a separate venue with special menu. There would be a defined and enforced dress code. There would be a cocktail hour where you can order the drink of your choice. Hors d' oeuvres would be served by a circulating wait staff and the event would be attended by several of the ship's senior officers.

That's not fact, though, it's merely your opinion. And there are others who feel as you do, but also many who would disagree. The formal nights tend to have the nicer menus. That is, of course, subjective. A lot of people get excited about "lobster night", for example, and others don't particularly care for the lobster. The first formal night usually coincides with the Captain's Welcome Aboard reception with champaign/cocktails. To YOU it may be nothing more than a photo op, but it's really more than that.

Of course, there's also the supposed lack of "white glove service" that you and some others complain about. With a couple exceptions here and there, I've almost always had excellent service in the dining room. I'm not sure exactly what would upgrade it to "white glove" status.

White gloves

Interesting idea but I don't think it would make any difference. Tastes and expectations have shifted. The marketplace has spoken loud and clear that people (in general) aren't that interested in formal wear on vacation, regardless of how special and classic the experience is.

Personally white glove service and champagne with the captain and all that sound pretentious and boring, not appealing to me at all. Then again if it were up to me, I wouldn't even own a suit, much less wear one on vacation :D

The ones I take issue with are the ones who belligerently state "I paid for the MDR dinner and I'm going to eat there" BUT at the same time state that they have no intention of following the cruise line's clearly stated minimum dress code for MDR dining.

The minimum is the same on all nights. If someone wants to wear jeans and a polo that's 100% A-OK. They DID, after all, pay for their dinner and the cruise line has said they are fine to be dressed like that.

That said, at least from my perspective, if they make it more of an "event" there will be more enticement for me to participate. If they don't want to make the effort, I don't really want to either. Every night in the MDR is date night for us really.

So how about this.

Let's have a formal event. A pay to play event, perhaps $50 a person. That should appeal to RCCL. It could be held in a separate venue with special menu. There would be a defined and enforced dress code. There would be a cocktail hour where you can order the drink of your choice. Hors d' oeuvres would be served by a circulating wait staff and the event would be attended by several of the ship's senior officers.

Now there is a good idea. (in my opinion)

Now there is a good idea. (in my opinion)

Yeah, it's a reasonable idea I think. I don't think I'd pay $50 extra for it. But some would for sure. Hey, why not? Worth a shot to drum up some revenue.