Why not 1 really good formal night instead of 2 half hearted ones?

You didnt ask me but Im not sure there is anything RCI can do to get me back in a tux or even a suit.

... Been there, done that, got the overpriced pics to prove it :)

I think if you polled most cruisers, and asked what the "purpose" of formal night is and gave them two choices: A) To provide guests with a lavish/elegant experience, or B) to sell overpriced photos...I'm certain the overwhelming majority would say B. A big reason for that might be what the OP is alluding to - that there is nothing, outside the army of photographers, that the cruise line does to distinguish formal night from any of the other nights.

Now, even if the cruise line did up the ante and added other things to set formal night apart from all the rest...you may get some people who then feel it's "worthy" of them getting all gussied up. However, like the poster I quoted, I'd bet most who don't want to be bothered now, still won't want to be bothered with it all. Although, it could possibly make more of those people opt out of eating in the MDR.

Edited by mcd2745

...The "good ol days" of cruising with fancy formal nights are going to the wayside IMO. Especially on Caribbean cruises.

I think that you are right on target. And I think that this is what upsets the pro-formal crowd. Time are changing and they are helpless to stop it.

I had dinner in the Windjammer on Freedom a few weeks ago for the first time ever and Im not sure I will ever go back to the MDR. Breakfast and lunch in the WJ was MUCH better than the MDR and dinner was also great with a lot of variety instead of the very limited menu of the MDR.

The only thing is, I think MANY are starting to catch on and do the same thing. The WJ was pretty packed for dinner even later on in the evening.

I've noticed an increasing number of posters who are reporting that they too are using the Windjammer much more than the MDR. More relaxed, quicker, quieter, just meets their preferences more.

I think if you polled most cruisers, and asked what the "purpose" of formal night is and gave them two choices: A) To provide guests with a lavish/elegant experience, or B) to sell overpriced photos...I'm certain the overwhelming majority would say B. A big reason for that might be what the OP is alluding to - that there is nothing, outside the army of photographers, that the cruise line does to distinguish formal night from any of the other nights.

Now, even if the cruise line did up the ante and added other things to set formal night apart from all the rest...you may get some people who then feel it's "worthy" of them getting all gussied up. However, like the poster I quoted, I'd bet most who don't want to be bothered now, still won't want to be bothered with it all. Although, it could possibly make more of those people opt out of eating in the MDR.

M.I.C.K.E.Y M.O.U.S.E

Yes ...... loads of overpriced photos, that you don't have to buy ......

silly comment really sir.

I've noticed an increasing number of posters who are reporting that they too are using the Windjammer much more than the MDR. More relaxed, quicker, quieter, just meets their preferences more.

Yes ...... I prefer sorrentos at silly o'clock in the morning after dancing and gambling ........ or is that too dull for you as well ??

M.I.C.K.E.Y M.O.U.S.E

Yes ...... loads of overpriced photos, that you don't have to buy ......

silly comment really sir.

After a lot of your posts in this thread...you're probably the last person who should be labelling anyone's contribution as "silly".

Either way...let's not leave it up to our opinions. I'll start a new thread poll asking people what they feel is the resaon behind forma nights and we'll find out one way or the other how silly that comment was.

All I've ever said is, just because of the people that don't want to dress up and do (what I consider one of the best bits about cruises) formal, don't take it away from the people that do.

How can you say it's not about what you wear ?

I've respected nearly all of what you say, but formal wear is a big part of formal nights.

I consider it as "one of the reasons I cruise". And I'm not alone in that.

1 great formal night or 2 half hearted ?? it won't happen. If it's only for one night then it's not worth bothering with all the great kit ....... there's your answer .....

I yielded a long time ago over this. But it seems an awful lot of people are on my side over this and hopefully the OP.

Yes, they do great food in all the restaurants, but who cares ?? sorrentos at 4 o'clock in the morning is like the elixir of life after a good night out. so grub doesn't even come into it for us.

You (in shorts, and sarong)(or plus fours) are welcome to meet me in wherever at 4 in the morning. I'm wearing a tux, you're wearing your kit, and I wouldn't batter an eyelid.

bon voyage x

Yield

2: to give up and cease resistance or contention

Hardly.

Personally, I sometimes do 'dress up night'. If I'm with a group I will and if it's just the two of us we usually eat in the Windjammer. I think the airlines have a huge part in this as well. Sorry if I have to choose a dress I'll wear once over more day clothes, the dress stays at home. And the huge amount of room a suit takes up.

I do plan on renting a tux or suit on Celebrity for a 14 night cruise though. I won't bother lugging all that to South America.

Edited by sr4mjc

Yes, it's ENTIRELY fair for the cruise line to state rules to that effect - their ship, their rules.

RCL could, but doesn't, RCL suggests.

That is what is lost in the arguing here.

Others can wish for people to dress to RCL's suggestions, or go somewhere else, but that's not going to happen.

Why? Because suggestions aren't rules.

Funny, I just thought it was about enjoying oneself ......

I just love it, and so does my partner. But if it's not your thing then that's fair enough. But it's a little unfair you dig at people that want to participate.

just saying.

I think you are absolutely entitled to dress up and enjoy your night.

I think everyone that wants to, on any night should do so.

I also think its its OK for others to 'not' dress up, and still enjoy the MDR they paid for.

Happy cruising.:)

I think you are absolutely entitled to dress up and enjoy your night.

I think everyone that wants to, on any night should do so.

I also think its its OK for others to 'not' dress up, and still enjoy the MDR they paid for.

Happy cruising.:)

I didn't say anything to the contrary ..... I agree with you ...

but I draw the line at shorts and flip flops.

Yield

2: to give up and cease resistance or contention

Hardly.

Personally, I sometimes do 'dress up night'. If I'm with a group I will and if it's just the two of us we usually eat in the Windjammer. I think the airlines have a huge part in this as well. Sorry if I have to choose a dress I'll wear once over more day clothes, the dress stays at home. And the huge amount of room a suit takes up.

I do plan on renting a tux or suit on Celebrity for a 14 night cruise though. I won't bother lugging all that to South America.

I'm confused ...... does this make you a bird or bloke ?

Yes ...... I prefer sorrentos at silly o'clock in the morning after dancing and gambling ........ or is that too dull for you as well ??

I saw your earlier post about Sorrentos at 4 AM. I remember the nights when I would party till the bars closed and then have breakfast at silly o'clock. Now, it's a rare night I'm not in bed by 930. Wait until your near 70 and you'll understand. That might be one reason I'm not that excited about dressing up. Why bother dressing up when it's only an hour or two till bed time?

No disrespect intended to anyone, but the phrase "let the baby have his bottle" certainly applies to this issue.

My wife and I chose to forgo the "elegant ambiance" of the MDR for the casual practicality of the Windjammer long ago. The food is the same, no formal wear is required, and by being thus segregated you won't disturb the formal atmosphere for those that have chosen to dress up. Everyone wins.

It really isn't a big deal.

I've never encountered the phrase "let the baby have his bottle". What is the meaning?