Why not 1 really good formal night instead of 2 half hearted ones?

Let's have a formal event. A pay to play event, perhaps $50 a person. That should appeal to RCCL. It could be held in a separate venue with special menu. There would be a defined and enforced dress code. There would be a cocktail hour where you can order the drink of your choice. Hors d' oeuvres would be served by a circulating wait staff and the event would be attended by several of the ship's senior officers.

That is available right now on Quantum and Anthem.

Perahps not the coctail hour part, but certainly the formal venue with special menu which requires formal wear.

Perhaps not the officer thing- dunno if they show up in that restaurant.

Never said more formal. Said more special. More participation. More differentiated events and cruise specific traditions. That doesn't mean people need to necessarily dress MORE formal; not advocating a requirement of tuxes and ball gowns.

I only used midnight buffet as an example of "something" that was a cruise tradition that could be brought back for one evening to make the overall evening more differentiated and special and thereby, maybe, encourage more people to participate. It does not appeal to you and you would not participate. No worries!

Right now Formal Night(s) are mostly to sell photos. The cruise line doesn't do anything special or differentiated from a normal night in the MDR. "Half pregnant". Well, either it is or it isn't. People can't bemoan others not dressing up when the "occasion" doesn't really do anything to require it.

So you have the buffet, white gloves, and captain's toast.

Other than paying for it, what other things need to be there?

Not sure how the buffet increases participation- I never saw that many people there, and the popularity did drop off enough to become a single pool side night that has gone away.

Just because they used to be crusing traditions- it does not make them appealing. I'm not talking to me- but seeing how people do them.

Shuffle board and the "horse racing" used to be traditions, too. ugh.

That is available right now on Quantum and Anthem.

Perahps not the coctail hour part, but certainly the formal venue with special menu which requires formal wear.

Perhaps not the officer thing- dunno if they show up in that restaurant.

I've heard that one restaurant on the Anthem and Quantum is formal every night. But, do you know what they defined as formal? Suit and tie or tux.

LMaxwell, your posts are generally quite intelligent and well-reasoned, but on occasion you come out with one of these and have me shaking my head and going "huh"?

I honestly think the whole baggage fees argument is much more of a convenient excuse than a really valid argument. If the cruise line insisted on tuxedos - or even suits - for formal nights, than it might have more validity. The fact is, they don't. A jacket & tie, along with dress slacks - is perfectly acceptable for formal night. The jacket is easily worn on the plane, the tie weighs essentially nothing, and the dress slacks weigh less & take less room (and are cooler & more comfortable) than the jeans that the "vocal minority" here are constantly insisting they prefer.

I notice you have a knack for seeing things from exactly one point of view: your own. :)

Not a valid argument?

First, wearing a jacket is not always appropriate at the originating airport. Someone flying from Phoenix in July is not going to be wearing a jacket. Not to mention that a tuxedo jacket doesn't really go well with shorts and a t-shirt. (or even khakis and a polo) With the increased security screening and hassle it is easy to see why people want to dress more comfortable and casual when flying. (not to mention the sardine can that the aircraft has become)

Baggage fees are real. I don't do formal night anymore but when I did I wore a tuxedo with multiple shirts, cumberbunds, and vests. These were all in a separate hanging garment bag. You don't fit that into another checked bag. So at a minimum it is a 2nd checked bag which is costing you at least $50 round trip in baggage fees. (unless your are driving to port of course)

Finally, your argument about just not having a tux or suit and just having jacket and tie ... well this sounds a whole lot like the argument the jeans and polo crowed would make ... less formal.

Try to be a little more open minded and consider other people's point of view as well. :)

So at a minimum it is a 2nd checked bag which is costing you at least $50 round trip in baggage fees. (unless your are driving to port of course)

That's not quite true. There are still airlines (mostly just Southwest). Other airlines tend to have some exceptions to the baggage fees for people who have certain frequent traveler status and/or have sponsored credit card for their airline of choice.

I'm not arguing with you that baggage fees can be a real consideration, but it's not true that a 2nd checked bag would be at least $50 at a minimum. The minimum would be no extra cost, but most of the major carriers charge $35 each way on domestic flights (so $70 round trip for a second bag), for those who don't qualify for free checked baggage.

Am I the only one who carries a suit bag with our clothes for formal night on the plane with us as carryon so we don't have to pay the extra luggage fee?? :confused:

With the exception of our upcoming cruise in October flying on Southwest so we won't have extra luggage fees. :cool:

This is exactly what we do. My husband carries the suit bag, and my carry on is an over-nighter for my shoes. :) My purse is packed with my shoes, and I carry a back-pack with prescription meds, jewelry, electronics, etc.

On our last couple of cruises we've only done the first formal night, then gone to the WJ for the second. Nothing against dressing up, we just haven't felt like it later in the cruise. It seems like a lot of people opt out on the second one and go to the WJ, so maybe doing just one would be a good thing.

That's not quite true. There are still airlines (mostly just Southwest). Other airlines tend to have some exceptions to the baggage fees for people who have certain frequent traveler status and/or have sponsored credit card for their airline of choice.

I'm not arguing with you that baggage fees can be a real consideration, but it's not true that a 2nd checked bag would be at least $50 at a minimum. The minimum would be no extra cost, but most of the major carriers charge $35 each way on domestic flights (so $70 round trip for a second bag), for those who don't qualify for free checked baggage.

Southwest flies to a limited number of cities compared to United, American, or Delta for example. No baggage fees is the exception rather than the rule.

Of course if you arer double naught triple gold platinum diamond status on an airline then you don't pay baggage fees.

I was talking an average case. :) Your mileage may vary. (literally)

Edited by NightOne

Southwest flies to a limited number of cities compared to United, American, or Delta for example. No baggage fees is the exception rather than the rule.

Of course if you arer double naught triple gold platinum diamond status on an airline then you don't pay baggage fees.

I was talking an average case. :) Your mileage may vary. (literally)

I get that. But it was in a post in which you were criticizing someone else for not looking at other points of view, then stated something as being the "minimum", when it was really "an average case." :cool:

And now you're throwing in "double naught triple gold platinum diamond" in an attempt to make it seem like it's some rare and exclusive thing to get free baggage. You need to be a somewhat frequent traveler, but not that major. I had that status on Delta one year, and it was just because I ended up taking two overseas trips that year. That was all it took, in my case, to have free checked bags for a year (which I didn't use much, because I'm actually not a frequent traveler).

I get that. But it was in a post in which you were criticizing someone else for not looking at other points of view, then stated something as being the "minimum", when it was really "an average case." :cool:

And now you're throwing in "double naught triple gold platinum diamond" in an attempt to make it seem like it's some rare and exclusive thing to get free baggage. You need to be a somewhat frequent traveler, but not that major. I had that status on Delta one year, and it was just because I ended up taking two overseas trips that year. That was all it took, in my case, to have free checked bags for a year (which I didn't use much, because I'm actually not a frequent traveler).

Actually the "double naught triple gold platinum diamond" was my attempt at poking fun at how many different status levels the airlines have. :)

Sorry for being unclear on my original message. The intent is more along the lines of "for those that have to pay baggage fees it would be a minimum of $$$ (on average)". Yes, the assumption was you were having to pay baggage fees.

You seem to just want to argue. (in my opinion) Sorry but I am not biting. :)

You seem to just want to argue. (in my opinion)

Nope. I really just wanted to point out that, at the same time you were criticizing someone else for only presenting one point of view, you were doing the same, yourself. :cool:

White gloves

I thought it was a great idea too but I hate to say I told you so. Maybe Don Pedro is right. Make it a pay event that includes a Captain's cocktail party, special dinner, string quartet, and entry into the grand gala buffet later that night.

that's because you sail on ncl mostly.

But can you really separate/differentiate NCL and RCCL...and Carnival, for that matter - as far as where the industry is going with the trends for formal nights? Sure, everyone can have their preference amongst these mass-market cruise lines, but there are definitely some things that are constants across all 3 lines. At the top of the list is this (which is what I think it all boils down to when it comes to formal nights and dress codes): What are the demographics of today's passengers, and who are the cruise lines aggresively targeting? Now, compare that to what the demographics of the avg cruise passenger was back in...let's say... the 1980's. I wasn't cruising back then, but for those who were...how many families with young children were on the ships?

Today, with crusing having transitioned to a family-oriented vacation (at least on the mass-market lines)...it's not really feasible/practical/sensible/reasonable/judicious/prudent/rational (everyone can pick the word they like best) to expect families with young children to to have those children dress up, and sit through a 2+ hour formal dinner. All anyone has to do is pay attention to any TV commercial from these cruise lines to see that familes are the demographic they are targeting, do not want to alienate, and will want to appease.

Edited by mcd2745

I notice you have a knack for seeing things from exactly one point of view: your own. :)

Gee, duh! Yes, most ALL of us are going to post here based on our own point of view - you included!

Not a valid argument?

First, wearing a jacket is not always appropriate at the originating airport. Someone flying from Phoenix in July is not going to be wearing a jacket. Not to mention that a tuxedo jacket doesn't really go well with shorts and a t-shirt. (or even khakis and a polo) With the increased security screening and hassle it is easy to see why people want to dress more comfortable and casual when flying. (not to mention the sardine can that the aircraft has become)

Baggage fees are real. I don't do formal night anymore but when I did I wore a tuxedo with multiple shirts, cumberbunds, and vests. These were all in a separate hanging garment bag. You don't fit that into another checked bag. So at a minimum it is a 2nd checked bag which is costing you at least $50 round trip in baggage fees. (unless your are driving to port of course)

First, I'll be flying from Dallas, which isn't all that much cooler than Phoenix in the summer, and wearing a nice summer weight sport coat along with khakis & a polo works just fine. No, it's not a tuxedo jacket, but I addressed that previously, making that argument of yours pretty dumb.

Finally, your argument about just not having a tux or suit and just having jacket and tie ... well this sounds a whole lot like the argument the jeans and polo crowed would make ... less formal.

I really hope you're not trying to argue that jeans and a polo are as close to formal as dress slacks, sport coat & tie are.

Try to be a little more open minded and consider other people's point of view as well. :)

Ditto, is all I can say about that.

I think RCI could make formal night popular again, especially on 7 day itineraries, by going from 2 half hearted (weak) nights to 1 really spectacular night. White glove service. Special captains and officer events all evening. Midnight buffet on formal night. An ice carving show and display. Display some of the grandeur thrown away to save costs the past 10 to 20 years.

The thought being maybe if the cruise line put some Chutzpah back into their efforts more people would get excited for it and participate. I'd look forward to one really nice event versus what currently is really no different than other evenings offerings.

It's really doesn't matter if it 1, 2 or 7 formal nights; the reality is some folks simply don't want to dress up formally any more on vacation even for one night. Society has changed and the cruise line have had to change with the times. The days of white gloved and midnight buffet are gone with the wind on the mass market lines and I wouldn't expect them to bring it back anytime soon. But it's a nice fantasy anyway. However, if you still want that type of formal cruise you can find that on the more deluxe lines like Crystal & Cunard, etc. but plan to pay a lot more for your cruise. The low competitive cruise fares on the mass market lines like RCI simply don't support that type of deluxe cruise vacation anymore.

So at a minimum it is a 2nd checked bag which is costing you at least $50 round trip in baggage fees. (unless your are driving to port of course)

I was talking an average case.:) Your mileage may vary. (literally)

Well, no, you were NOT "talking an average case", rather you were making a completely incorrect claim that "at a minimum it is a 2nd checked bag which is costing you at least $50.

"I notice you have a knack for seeing things from exactly one point of view: your own." :)

"Try to be a little more open minded and consider other people's point of view as well." :)

It's really doesn't matter if it 1, 2 or 7 formal nights; the reality is some folks simply don't want to dress up formally any more on vacation even for one night. Society has changed and the cruise line have had to change with the times. The days of white gloved and midnight buffet are gone with the wind on the mass market lines and I wouldn't expect them to bring it back anytime soon. But it's a nice fantasy anyway. However, if you still want that type of formal cruise you can find that on the more deluxe lines like Crystal & Cunard, etc. but plan to pay a lot more for your cruise. The low competitive cruise fares on the mass market lines like RCI simply don't support that type of deluxe cruise vacation anymore.

Carnival is bringing it back on select "journey" voyages. I don't really crave a formal night, but just feel if they're going to have them at least make efforts to differentiate it from other nights.

Apparently next week we may hear something along those lines from Royal?

Actually the "double naught triple gold platinum diamond" was my attempt at poking fun at how many different status levels the airlines have. :)

Sorry for being unclear on my original message. The intent is more along the lines of "for those that have to pay baggage fees it would be a minimum of $$$ (on average)". Yes, the assumption was you were having to pay baggage fees.

You seem to just want to argue. (in my opinion) Sorry but I am not biting. :)

Nope. I really just wanted to point out that, at the same time you were criticizing someone else for only presenting one point of view, you were doing the same, yourself. :cool:

Yep, exactly. There does appear to be one here just arguing for argument's sake - but it's not Paul...