Dress Code in MDR on Freedom

Honestly I think it depends on who's manning the doors. I've seen men in shorts at dinner in the main dining room, but you run the risk of being asked to change. RCCL's dress suggestions say no shorts in the MDR at dinner.

There is a sign by the door as well as a posting in the compass, that shorts are not permitted in the dining room at dinner. My husband and I have not worn them to dinner in the MDR so I cannot tell you firsthand experience, but I do see mixed comments on CC. Some say it is fine and some are told to go back and change into proper slacks

Suggest you have a pair of slacks in case you are denied entrance.

Enjoy

M

There is a sign by the door as well as a posting in the compass, that shorts are not permitted in the dining room at dinner. My husband and I have not worn them to dinner in the MDR so I cannot tell you firsthand experience, but I do see mixed comments on CC. Some say it is fine and some are told to go back and change into proper slacks

Suggest you have a pair of slacks in case you are denied entrance.

Enjoy

M

What about jeans?

Are men's dress shorts allowed at night in the MDR? I know formal nights wouold definitely be out but wasn't sure about other nights? Thanks.

I have worn dress shorts to the MDR on non formal nights on the Freedom and never had a problem(we have been on the Freedom twice)

What about jeans?

I wore jeans to the MDR several times. They were nice looking black jeans though. Also saw several people in dressier shorts too. Saw a large number of people in nice jeans. I only saw a small handful of people that weren't even in the ballpark on dress suggestions.

What is "allowed" and "not allowed" in the MDR on any given ship is a real c rap shoot. In my experience , I have not seen very many men in shorts at dinner, but I have seen a few here and there. Decent (not necessarily "dressy"what ever that means) jeans are not prohibited in any MDR we have been in. DH has worn them a few times with no problem. Good Luck and enjoy your cruise. :)

Edited by Rala
typo

Just off her two weeks ago. Shorts along with flip flops are now regularly seen in the MDR on Freedom. Even on formal nights. They arent turning away anyone unless you have a bathing suit and tank top and then I even question whether they will. And this is NOT me making up falsehoods as I was accused last week. :rolleyes: I witnessed this with my OWN eyes. I talked to several waiters and head waiters about this and they are simply telling people to come as they are.

Im sure someone will now come along, in typical Cruise Critic fashion, and try to argue with what I and many others personally witnessed.

Jeans on the other hand, have always been allowed.

Edited by ryano

Just off her two weeks ago. Shorts along with flip flops are now regularly seen in the MDR on Freedom. Even on formal nights. They arent turning away anyone unless you have a bathing suit and tank top and then I even question whether they will. And this is NOT me making up falsehoods as I was accused last week. :rolleyes: I witnessed this with my OWN eyes. I talked to several waiters and head waiters about this and they are simply telling people to come as they are.

Im sure someone will now come along, in typical Cruise Critic fashion, and try to argue with what I and many others personally witnessed.

Jeans on the other hand, have always been allowed.

No arguement here. It's been this way for a number of years. The staff is done fighting with the "Me" society.

. The staff is done fighting with the "Me" society.

Agreed. There were so many people in shorts on this last cruise, they didnt even stick out at all in the MDR. If anything, those of us dressed up might have a little :o

I swear on my life when I tell you there were several tables around me on FORMAL night in shorts and flip flops. That is not a falsehood at all or even an exaggeration.

Edited by ryano

I did not notice any shorts in the dining room on my recent cruise on the Serenade. There were probably some in there, but I didn't go checking every table. :D And, at least on that ship, the Cruise Compass still said that shorts were not permitted for dinner. (Some have posted other recent compasses on which the shorts prohibition has been removed.)

I did not notice any shorts in the dining room on my recent cruise on the Serenade. There were probably some in there, but I didn't go checking every table. :D And, at least on that ship, the Cruise Compass still said that shorts were not permitted for dinner. (Some have posted other recent compasses on which the shorts prohibition has been removed.)

I didnt check every table either. Im one that tries to be as early to my table as I can be though. Hard not to notice all the shorts around me as they waltzed through the MDR, some of them being late.

I could not care less though. Only reporting a first hand experience from what I saw on Freedom which is the ship the OP asked about :)

Edited by ryano

I see very few people in shorts, and I have seen people turned away from being dressed inappropriately.

That does not mean some get by, but really, what's the big deal of putting on your big boy pants, and looking like an adult out to dinner. Please don't say, it's hot outside, since dinner is inside. Also, being in the Caribbean has nothing to do with it either. It's just polite to dress appropriately. Yes, we will hear about all the "me" people, but it is still perfectly acceptable to look nice when needed.

It is funny how you hear about the food going downhill, but if you dress like you are going to McDonalds they are going to feed you like your at McDonalds.

I am not really a fan of dressing up but when I go to a nice dinner I dress the part. What is so hard about that?