How late of a flight into Galveston for Carnival cruise?

MaiTaiMary

If you're taking a private plane into the Galveston airport, it's probably about a 10 minute drive to the cruise port.

Otherwise, you'd have to fly into Houston Hobby or Houston Intercontinental since there is no scheduled passenger service into Galveston. It's a minimum 1 hour to hour and a half drive to Galveston, assuming no traffic.

During this time of the year it's always a possibility that a freak rain storm can affect your flights. Bush is worse than Hobby for this but it can easily happen at either. If it was me I would be getting in a day early or if

you can't spring for the hotel get in on the first available morning flight.

Just saying,

JT :cool:

during this time of the year it's always a possibility that a freak rain storm can affect your flights. Bush is worse than hobby for this but it can easily happen at either. If it was me i would be getting in a day early or if

you can't spring for the hotel get in on the first available morning flight.

Just saying,

jt :cool:

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto

for IAH (bush intercontinental), expect 1.5 hrs transit from airport to cruise port. this is the main airport - most legacy carriers, etc. will fly to IAH.

for HOU (hobby), expect 1 hr transit from airport to cruise port. smaller or budget carriers like southwest will fly here.

if flying in the day of, i would pick an early flight. there's a few variables before you land in terms of your choice of transportation, traffic, etc. there's a starbucks right across the street from the port if you arrive early to kill some time :)

I agree with the travel times called out by the others, what you didn't mention is if you were booking Carnival Transport or not. The shuttle bus transfers always take longer than if you just jumped into a taxi (of course the cost is much less) so you may want to factor in some time there.

I'd look into private shuttle services as taxis are pricey for that route.

During this time of the year it's always a possibility that a freak rain storm can affect your flights. Bush is worse than Hobby for this but it can easily happen at either.

Huh? how do you figure that?

Edited by BallFour4

Sorry, I meant "Houston Hobby" airport, not "Galveston". :cool:

This will be our first time flying into this area and then going to the cruise terminal, so I'm open to any tips!!! :D

We will be coming from the West Coast and picked Galveston as our starting point instead of a port in Florida so we would NOT have to come in the night before.

The cruise begins on Saturday, so I wasn't really anticipating much traffic from the airport to the cruise terminal.

We are looking at a flight that arrives into HOU at 12:20pm. (it is a nonstop from San Diego) Ship leaves at 4:00pm. Are we cutting it close or should have plenty of time???

We will be sailing in August.

So what is the best/easiest/most reliable/preferred method of transportation from the Houston airport to the cruise terminal? I was thinking we should book transfers with the cruise line (?) Thoughts on that??

Thank you!!!! :D

Edited by MaiTaiMary

12:20 is way too late to arrive the day of... By the time you claim luggage, catch your ride to Galveston, it could easily be 2:30 pm by the time you get to port. Although it says they dont sail until 4pm... They will at some point cut off check in and if you aren't there, you will miss the cruise. The slightest delay will ruin your day and your cruise.... I would fly in as early as I could if I were you, but we don't fly on the same day as cruises anymore after an issue with delays nearly caused us to miss the ship once!

Oh wow. This really changes everything. :( This is the earliest flight offered. (remember, there is a 2 hour time change from where we are coming from) We can't go in the night before. I thought this would be plenty of time.

I really appreciate the advice!

OK, going to revisit the idea of going in the night prior. Might be super late at night, but better than missing the boat, right?? :D

What hotel options should I be looking at? Again, I'm completely unfamiliar with the area. Is there something close to the cruise terminal? We just need a bed for the night! LOL nothing fancy.

We are looking at a flight that arrives into HOU at 12:20pm. (it is a nonstop from San Diego) Ship leaves at 4:00pm. Are we cutting it close or should have plenty of time???

So what is the best/easiest/most reliable/preferred method of transportation from the Houston airport to the cruise terminal? I was thinking we should book transfers with the cruise line (?) Thoughts on that??

I think that's cutting it a little fine, but Carnival says it's OK to book a shuttle with them with scheduled arrivals to HOU as late as 1:30: http://www.carnival.com/cruise-transfers/galveston.aspx

I haven't needed to get to Galveston yet, but most of the options I've seen look expensive. I've used Carnival's shuttle to other ports and they work well for what they are. I'd certainly give due consideration to them. One small thing is that since they know when you're coming, they might - MIGHT - be a little patient if your flight comes in a little late. Another option might be to get with some of your fellow cruisers and rent a shuttle. This involves some coordination, but if it works, you can save a bit.

Sorry, I meant "Houston Hobby" airport, not "Galveston". :cool:

This will be our first time flying into this area and then going to the cruise terminal, so I'm open to any tips!!! :D

We will be coming from the West Coast and picked Galveston as our starting point instead of a port in Florida so we would NOT have to come in the night before.

The cruise begins on Saturday, so I wasn't really anticipating much traffic from the airport to the cruise terminal.

Thank you!!!! :D

We flew into Hobby for our Magic cruise last April. It was a good hour drive to the port in Galveston.

I think your 12:20 flight on cruise day is definitely cutting it too close. Factor in any delay in taking off, landing, or even finding a gate, then disembarking the plane, walking to get your luggage, waiting for your luggage, then catching whatever transportation to the port and the potential of traffic or an accident on the bridge into Galveston. (There was an accident the day we arrived, closing the bridge for hours. We flew in the day before so we were not affected.) Our paperwork said that we needed to be on the ship a minimum of one hour before the 4:00 sailing time, which is 3:00. You're talking a total of two hours and 40 minutes from landing to embarkation, as long as the stars and planets align.

I'm a very positive person, and even I think this is not possible.

Otherwise, we loved Magic. The Tandoor (Indian) food on the buffet (all the way aft on the starboard side) was fabulous. I had lunch from there every day. The Red Frog Pub was our favorite place to hang and listen to music every night. The Pub Trivia Quizzes were a hoot.

The time frame you listed is way too close. The main route is I-45S to Galveston. While you are traveling on Saturday and think that you will avoid "rush hour" traffic this is not correct. The island is a destination for many in this area even in cooler times of the year. We went down to celebrate DH's birthday on March 29 (Sunday) and the drive down for us was only 40 miles but it took 75 minutes. We left our house at 1 PM. Traffic was heavy and slow but no accidents and nothing special going on in Galveston.

I will also share that DH flies in and out of Hobby often. A 30 minute wait for luggage is not unusual.

I am glad to see you are rethinking your travel plans.

Thanks again, everybody. I really thought we'd be OK, but I'm convinced now that it won't work. Besides... I stress out easily! LOL

I really didn't want to spend the extra night away, but it looks like we don't have a choice.

Now I need a recommendation for a CHEAP hotel near the Galveston cruise terminal!! :D Any suggestions???

And since we won't be taking the airport transfers from Carnival, what is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? sounds like way too long for a taxi.

thank you!!! :D:D:D

I also agree with others that the flight you are looking at for the day of is cutting it way too close. Regarding your option to fly in the night before, I would recommend getting a hotel near the airport for the night before and then going back to the airport the morning of the cruise to take Carnival's ground transfer to Galveston. I know that's what my daughter did when she took the cruise out of Galveston and flew in from San Diego the night before.

MaiTaiMArry- Houston Hobby is south side of downtown Houston and closer to Galveston than Bush Inter, which is on the north east side (meaning you would have to deal with the traffic around the city. so if you have a choice use Hobby. As far as traffic, we drive down and have done both weekday and weekends and either have gotten really lucky or some of the estimates you have been getting longer than reality. But our drive time (now this is IN THE CAR on I-45 going past Hobby Airport) is about 45 minutes. So yes, add in time for getting off the plane, grabbing luggage and getting to your "ride" and you could be looking at getting to the ship at 2:30. That is doable but only gives you about an hour and a half of fudge factor if something happens.

As for cheap hotels on the Island. There are several that offer free shuttles to the ship There are a couple that are REALLY close to the ship.

You would still be in Summer rates so I am not sure what you will spend but we have gotten a room for around $80 (in the winter) I would look at Comfort Suites or Holiday Inn Express. If you look on the bigger hotel booking web sites, they will indicated if they have shuttle service included or not. So you could save the cost of an addtional taxi ride. Worst case, there are not too many hotels on the Island that are more than a 10 minute drive from the ship so that ride would not be too pricey.

Your OTHER option is to stay at an airport hotel that has free shuttle service to/from the airport, Spend the night their and then go back to the airport in the morning and takea morning cruise shuttle instead of coming in late and traveling another hour to get to your hotel. I would think the first shuttles back to the ship would start about 10am. I don't know how much the shuttle is versus a taxi to a Galveston hotel, but that may be the cheaper option. Just be warned that the area around Houston Hobby is not the nicest of neighborhoods so you don't want to expect to be able to go out and "walk " to dinner or breakfast