Anniversary Sale - new benefit added

DaveOKC

I called my PCC about my Prinsendam Holiday cruise which I was able to rebook under the Anniversary Sale when it was first announced. He said the "upgrade" is on "select sailings" (in the fine print). My cruise was not one of them. Also he thought it might just be on Vista and Signature class ships since they have less Ocean-view and more Verandah cabins.

BUT - it is always worth asking.

The Full T&C for anyone curious:

Anniversary Sale Terms & Conditions

*Interior stateroom fares are based on Promo(s) RH/PC. Ocean-View and above stateroom fares and Anniversary Sale offers are based on Promo(s) RF/RG/PJ. Featured fares are per person based on double occupancy, cruise or Land+Sea Journeys only. Fares are in U.S. dollars. All savings amounts are included in the fares shown. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are additional and range from $196.08 to $2,333.08. Subject to availability. Anniversary Sale offers are per stateroom based on double occupancy, for 1st and 2nd guests sharing a stateroom and excludes 3rd/4th guests, except as provided herein. Anniversary Sale offers are available for new bookings only, apply only to the cruise portion of Alaska Land+Sea Journeys, are not combinable with any other discounts, are not transferable, are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Beverage, dining card and Internet minute offers are not transferable or refundable, cannot be redeemed for cash, and are not replaceable if lost or stolen. Offers are applicable on select 2015 and 2016 departures. Upgrade offers are valid on select sailings and in select categories only and are subject to availability of the staterooms in the higher category. Shore excursion credit for ocean-view and above staterooms on cruises 7-10 days in length is: US$100 per person (US$200 per stateroom); amount for cruises 11-14 days and Alaska Land+Sea Journeys is: US$200 per person (US$400 per stateroom). Credit cannot be used to purchase or reserve shore excursions in advance (must be done onboard.) Third/fourth offer is based on sharing a stateroom with 1st and 2nd guests, and is based on Promo Z3. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses apply to all 3rd/4th offers. 50% reduced deposit: bookings made on voyages requiring immediate final payment are not eligible for a reduced deposit. Dine Around Package has a retail value of US$70 per stateroom ($35 per person) or US$100 per stateroom (US$50 per guest - Signature Class ships only.) Offer is subject to availability in the Canaletto, Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind restaurants. Reservations and dining times will be assigned on embarkation day. Offer excludes Specialty Dining Events in the Pinnacle Grill such as Le Cirque, De Librije, Master Chef’s Table and Sommelier Dinner. Suite Offer: Guests who book a suite category stateroom will receive double Shore Excursion Credit as follows: cruises 7-10 days: US$200 per person (US$400 per stateroom); cruises 11+days or Alaska Land+Sea Journeys: US$400 per person (US$800 per stateroom). Anniversary Sale Beverage Card: Two cards each with a retail value of US$50 per person (US$100 per stateroom), including service charges. Beverage cards may be used to purchase beverages or other eligible items at payment terminals aboard the ship. No balance may be carried on the beverage cards after the end of the cruise. Beverage cards exclude purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. 100 Free Internet Minutes have a retail value of US$55 per stateroom. Holland America Line cannot guarantee the availability of internet connection or speed. For full terms and conditions, please refer to hollandamerica.com. Other restrictions may apply. Anniversary Sale Offer ends June 1, 2015. Ships' Registry: The Netherlands.

I thought the OV cabin prices (on select sailings) were being lowered to match Inside cabin prices (that's what it says on the web site and in the email I got) but in fact I found it's usually the other way around ... checking a website that tracks pricing just now, I see that HAL raised the prices on specific Inside cabin prices today to match what the OV cabin prices already were. Of course I didn't check every single cruise but the ones we're booked on or are looking at were like that.

Call me suspicious but doesn't that constitute "false advertising"? :confused:

Buyer beware!

Edited by zelker

I thought the OV cabin prices (on select sailings) were being lowered to match Inside cabin prices (that's what it says on the web site and in the email I got) but in fact I found it's usually the other way around ... checking a website that tracks pricing just now, I see that HAL raised the prices on specific Inside cabin prices today to match what the OV cabin prices already were. Of course I didn't check every single cruise but the ones we're booked on or are looking at were like that.

Buyer beware!

It seems that all cruise lines do that when they have "free" upgrades. Just like the "free" explore 4 package.

"New free upgrade: Book an Ocean-view stateroom for the price

of an Interior, or a Verandah for the price of an Ocean-view"

They had this promo earlier this year.

We booked an OV for the price of Inside on a Canada New England cruise. Note that this was for QTY so may not appear to a lot of people.

This type of promotion is very popular on Azamara.

They had this promo earlier this year.

We booked an OV for the price of Inside on a Canada New England cruise. Note that this was for QTY so may not appear to a lot of people.

This type of promotion is very popular on Azamara.

Likewise, but after that promo was over the insides were a lot less.

Buyer beware!

Thats why one has to do their homework and know the "normal" price for the category they are looking at when a sale promotion appears.

I tried to book a cruise today that was advertised as eligible for the Anniversary Sale but was told that the price for my balcony cabin (VC) was a special price for a "Flash Sale Promo" and thus not eligible. Only the more expensive balcony categories which were 40 % more expensive included the Anniversary Sale promotion.

I simply hate this new sales strategy that advertises a promotion but still denies customers booking it with flimsy excuses and different prices not visible to the customer. Celebrity uses this strategy a lot and it drove us away to try greener pastures, i.e. other cruise lines because quite often the price WITH a promotion like the beverage package was more expensive than the plain cruise price without perks and the package BOUGHT.

I've been watching OV prices on two different cruises. On one of them, they simply raised the interior price to match what the OV had been all along. But on the other, they dropped the OV down to near interior price. We booked that one today.