Kids now Full Price in Specialty Restaurants?

wimsikl

If the child orders the same exact thing I do are they getting the same amount of food on their plate? I'm just trying to figure out if they're getting less food or the same amount of food that I would get?

Harriet

If they are paying full price for the meal, they darn well should be. If they were paying half price and the portion was smaller I would not quibble with that. But the point is that they should get the promo the same as everyone else in the cabin because that is how it was presented, I believe. And if no promo, they should have the option to BUY the UDP, along with their parents, if the parents wish them to eat off the regular, not child's menu rather than pay full cover price every night.

If they are paying full price for the meal, they darn well should be. If they were paying half price and the portion was smaller I would not quibble with that. But the point is that they should get the promo the same as everyone else in the cabin because that is how it was presented, I believe. And if no promo, they should have the option to BUY the UDP, along with their parents, if the parents wish them to eat off the regular, not child's menu rather than pay full cover price every night.

I agree with everything you said.

However, if the parent does NOT get the UDP for their child and they only pay half price for their child at the specialty restaurant that child should not get the same portions you and I would get for paying full price.

Harriet

I agree with everything you said.

However, if the parent does NOT get the UDP for their child and they only pay half price for their child at the specialty restaurant that child should not get the same portions you and I would get for paying full price.

Harriet

It sounds as though the 50% off is no longer an option. The child either eats free off the Kids Menu available ship wide, OR they order off the Specialty Menu and eat at FULL cover charge. And in addition, if the family picked the UDP Promo, they are now getting emails informing them the the adults get the UBP and the kids get the kids menu. If true, it certainly devalues the UDP Promo for a family with a couple kids who had planned on Specialties every night and treating the kids to those menus. Additionally, according to one poster, he could not even purchase a UDP for his child, which greatly increases their costs as the child must therefore "pay as they go" full price while Mom and Dad get a discount with the UDP. Talk about being penalized for being a child!

Edited by punkincc

Just off the Epic on April 12th. Our kids (10and 12) ate with us at every Specialty Restaurant. They were charged half price for the specialty menu. Portions were the same. We sail again in June. Hope this is not ANOTHER change although they will be 11 and 13 on that sailing so only applicable to the 11 year old. But I can now purchase the UDP for the 11 Year old which I could not do before. The reservation system still says "kids pricing done on the ship." as of today.

If it were me and I had booked with a UDP added as part of the booking promotion I would be insisting that my children also received the included UDP. If you had made the booking under the promotion going on at that time and had booked 4 adults in a cabin then all would receive the UDP.

Why would they even think about discriminating because they are children. As the 3rd, 4th or 8th passenger in the cabin, the charge for them whether full price. 50% off or free would have been the exact same for a 3 year old as a 53 year old. They received no reduction when booking. I would not be letting them get away with this if I was in the position.

I donb't agree with charging children from 3-12 full price in the specialty restaurants but they are entitled to do it. It would have been better had they given proper notice and possibly grandfathered in the folks already booked but we know how great NCL can be with that. They need to fix their website and T & C's and allow the UDP to be purchased for kids. But not giving the promo to children in a cabin is just BS. To all the parents potentially affected by this I hope you make sure you get exactly what you deserve.

Rochelle

I'm curious how this will work with Teppanyaki where there is no kids meal option. $118 dinner while on a cruise for which we've already paid for our food seems very steep. While we had planned on a few specialty dinners I'm rethinking that now. I have to say I'm not thrilled with all these new $$ changes... very annoying.

If it were me and I had booked with a UDP added as part of the booking promotion I would be insisting that my children also received the included UDP. If you had made the booking under the promotion going on at that time and had booked 4 adults in a cabin then all would receive the UDP.

Why would they even think about discriminating because they are children. As the 3rd, 4th or 8th passenger in the cabin, the charge for them whether full price. 50% off or free would have been the exact same for a 3 year old as a 53 year old. They received no reduction when booking. I would not be letting them get away with this if I was in the position.

I donb't agree with charging children from 3-12 full price in the specialty restaurants but they are entitled to do it. It would have been better had they given proper notice and possibly grandfathered in the folks already booked but we know how great NCL can be with that. They need to fix their website and T & C's and allow the UDP to be purchased for kids. But not giving the promo to children in a cabin is just BS. To all the parents potentially affected by this I hope you make sure you get exactly what you deserve.

Rochelle

We are on the same page here. We originally were going to put my mom in our room as well and were told she would ALSO get the UDP. We ended up booking her, her own studio so she'd have extra space if she needed it.

I just wonder how I can get to the bottom of this without boarding and being in for a big surprise of having to pay for his meals each night rather than the UDP. I booked way back in January but we don't sail until next July.

I'm curious how this will work with Teppanyaki where there is no kids meal option. $118 dinner while on a cruise for which we've already paid for our food seems very steep. While we had planned on a few specialty dinners I'm rethinking that now. I have to say I'm not thrilled with all these new $$ changes... very annoying.

I agree.....this has become very stressful :(

Rochelle

100% agreed on your comment Rochelle!

Believe me, I'll insist that my kids will get anything they want on the regular menu since we all got the UDP promo. :D

I believe that restaurant was always full price for kids, so I don't think the changes affect that venue, except for the added gratuity.

We are on the same page here. We originally were going to put my mom in our room as well and were told she would ALSO get the UDP. We ended up booking her, her own studio so she'd have extra space if she needed it.

I just wonder how I can get to the bottom of this without boarding and being in for a big surprise of having to pay for his meals each night rather than the UDP. I booked way back in January but we don't sail until next July.

I would get a copy of your amenities. It should say on there that you have the UDP for everyone in the cabin. If you don't have one get your TA or PCC to send you a copy before they go changing the wording. You could also try and get a screenshot of the NCL website with today's date. If you click on Learn More on the UDP it says; "Choose this offer and all guests three years and older in the stateroom can try a different specialty restaurant each night of your cruise for free. The Ultimate Dining Package is normally priced $140 per person for a 7-day cruise, more for longer cruises and less for shorter cruises. For a la carte venues and Ocean Blue the price is discounted at 25% with the Ultimate Dining Package."

When they had the promo it certainly did not say 'does not include children' and this is the last day of that offer and it has not changed. Who knows what it will say tomorrow.

Rochelle

Rochelle

I agree Rochelle. The two adults in my room have the UDP and the 11 year old has the Childs dining package.

What does that mean? This was booked as part of the promo.

My niece's family of 4 will be flying down to MIA to sail on the GA this Saturday and they aren't laughing since they usually follow our leads - so, my best advice for them with the 2 kids is to deal with whatever :p on the ship as it happen, and discretely get "proof". They have a comp'd specialty dinner for 2 from CAS but most likely, the kids will not be joining them - heck with paying full price, 18% autogratuity and (unconfirmed, still - officially) the alleged "ban" on takeout or packaging of unfinished food from select/some/all restaurants (and/or the buffet, etc.) Also, of course, warned them about the "enhanced" CAS perks as of April 1 this year so they have "heads-up" since it's not directly resting with NCL.

It must be me that a string of posts had been moderated out of this thread - I made my points so let it be, whatever. Now, just a matter of cat-and-mouse online social media game of waiting for the "official" NCL post to announce something and/or insider's authorized leaks to be considered as conclusive proof of what is and is NOT - if only they are consistent and not yanking more surprises with every or every other week's new sailings. We are, however, preaching to the "choir" in our unfair criticism - :rolleyes:

Edited by mking8288

I believe that restaurant was always full price for kids, so I don't think the changes affect that venue, except for the added gratuity.

Teppanyaki? We paid 1/2 price for our son there 3 times, and he was served the same size portions as we were.

Edited by LrgPizza

[quote name='mjkacmom']I believe that restaurant was always full price for kids, so I don't think the changes affect that venue, except for the added gratuity.[/QUOTE]

We have eaten at Teppanyaki on several NCL ships and it has always been 1/2 off and same size portion as adults. Even when the wording was on the NCL site about kids 1/2 price at specialities, it never excluded Teppanyaki.

Harriet has started a new thread here;

[URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46422251&posted=1#post46422251"]NCL UPDATES for room service and kids at specialty restaurants[/URL]

Hope this helps clear things up for some people.

Rochelle

[quote name='jandj1224']I'm curious how this will work with Teppanyaki where there is no kids meal option. $118 dinner while on a cruise for which we've already paid for our food seems very steep. While we had planned on a few specialty dinners I'm rethinking that now. I have to say I'm not thrilled with all these new $$ changes... very annoying.[/QUOTE]

I have seen others report that little ones CAN get the free kids menu in Teppanyaki as well, but it does seem a little crazy for them to be eating chicken fingers there with the very limited seating and difficulty getting in. BUT, I do understand wanting everyone in the family to experience the fun. It seems to me that NCL has given away so many UDP packages for free that they are now trying to discourage families from bringing the kids in order to free up some space.

[quote name='wimsikl']
...I have never seen a Kids Specialty Menu. Just kids menu (free, up to age 12) and Specialty (half price up to age 12)...[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I remember my daughters ordering off a kids specialty menu at Cagney's on the Breakaway.

[quote name='dexddd']We have eaten at Teppanyaki on several NCL ships and it has always been 1/2 off and same size portion as adults. Even when the wording was on the NCL site about kids 1/2 price at specialities, it never excluded Teppanyaki.[/QUOTE]

I am mistaken. I thought kids being full price was the reason we never ate there, but now I remember thinking it wasn't a good value, since similar restaurants here on land cost the same (where the other specialties, with appetizers, entrees, and desserts would cost much more, making the surcharge make more sense).