Getting to Miami International Airport from Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port

binbali

I have a small dilemma... We will arrive in Fort Lauderdale after our Panama Cruise from LA and we have a car to pick up from Alamo at MIAMI International airport.. yes we do need to use Miami Int as we will be returning the car to this same location (saves drop off fees etc) after we spend 5 nights in South Beach,before we fly out to Cancun. Now I posted a question on Princess Facebook page and got some replies that helped but also someone mentioned toll fines etc.. I was worried about the cost of parking per night in South beach but looks like there is a cheaper parking station then Fountain Blue parking.. Ok now wondering if we even need to have a car for our stay in Miami> maybe we should just get prepaid transfers from Cruise to South beach accommodation then from South beach back to airport 5 days later.

Can someone please advise. TIA

I have a small dilemma... We will arrive in Fort Lauderdale after our Panama Cruise from LA and we have a car to pick up from Alamo at MIAMI International airport.. yes we do need to use Miami Int as we will be returning the car to this same location (saves drop off fees etc)

Alamo do not charge one-way fees providing you drop off in Florida and not another state, certainly this is true for bookings made from the UK. We regularly pick up at MIA and drop off at FLL and vice versa.

Alamo / National have a free shuttle from FLL to Port Everglades.

We always choose Alamo because of the way they handle Tolls

Earlier this year we picked up at TPA and dropped off at FLL before the cruise and picked up at FLL and dropped off at MCO after the cruise and had no one-way charges.

Contact Alamo. I'm SURE someone is giving you dodgy information.

EDIT

Just seen that you are in Oz. Visit the site http://www.rentalcars.com.

I always use them and, as you are not in the US you should get the same deals that I get and I pre-pay in Sterling (just checked and I can certainly get my deal priced in $AUS). Terms and Conditions make clear that these deals are ONLY AVAILABLE to holders of non-US / Canadian driving permits.

I typically pay around £35 ($50) per day for full size car including all insurances. Don't take the GPS option. Download TomTOM US and Canada onto your smart phone- only cost £19.99 when bought in UK (Oz should be about the same) with free lifetime map updates.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Just checked for you on http://www.rentalcars.com.

Alamo Ford Fusion - Full size - Smaller cars are available at lower cost

Pick up 11.30 8th October 2015 from FLL

Drop off 11.00 13th October at MIA.

Book now pay later in AUD.

includes:

Cancellation, Amendments, Theft Protection, Collision Damage Waiver FREE ONE-WAY FEES

Fuel on Full to Full basis (I prefer to pay for tank on pick up and return empty)

AUD284.31 (£147.45 / $223.21) - £30 / $55 per day

Edited by Corfe Mixture

IF you still need to get to the MIA airport from Port Everglades you have options

*The cruise line transfer bus, usually for about $30+ per person

*Shared shuttle services from Super Shuttle, American Shuttle or Go Airport for about $30+ per person

*A taxi for about $75+ on the meter

*Private car service from Larry's Limos, Go Airport or John's Car service

As mentioned above, I do not think you need to rent the car from MIA; usually no drop fees for one-way rentals in FLA :), but you sometimes do not qualify for the lowest rate. :( Even if you had to pay a fee or slightly higher rate it is not, IMHO, worth the trip to MIA.

Good luck! :)

Thank you so much Corfe Mixture, very helpful. I will check with our TA and change the pick up I think. Cheers!

Now I know who is giving you duff information. Sounds like you need a new TA - one who understands US, and particularly Florida car rental.

FYI, given you are starting in LA, on my bookings with carrentals.com there are no one way charges in California either where you will also get free extra driver.

If you do decide to by-pass your TA for your car rental, it is very easy. Just follow the link I gave you above. You will get a booking confirmation with a reference number which you just print out and take to the Alamo desk at FLL. You can elect to pay in full now (fully refundable) or a deposit and the balance later.

They will give you the option to pay for your tank full of fuel or return it full (I always pay for the tank as it is almost impossible for a non-US / Canadian citizen to fill up on a 24/7 basis as the automatic pumps demand you enter the ZIP code of the credit cards billing address).

Alamo will also take your credit card details for your toll charges, and late return charges which come through about 10 days after the rental ends. Once they give you the paperwork, you go down to the pick up point and you will be directed to the line of cars in your category and you choose which one to take. Rental period starts when you exit the pick up garage.