Pearl 11 day Southern--1st timer review

Kierste

Finally got around to writing this... figured I'd put it here too in case people have questions :)

We were first time cruisers... Me, my husband, our 11 year old daughter, and my almost 70 year old mother. Had connecting mini-suites (11588 & 11590). These rooms were wonderful, convenient to the buffet, splash academy and the pool deck. They also have covered balconies, which we liked so we could be shaded from the hot sun. They are under the teen Entourage area, which could sound like a herd of elephants above you at times, but always quieted down by 10 or 10:30.

I'd like to say people in general complain too much. We found very little to complain about the whole trip.

We ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch daily and the food was good to very good. And it was a buffet, if you didn't like something go get something else. We ate in the mdr for dinner (one or the other) half the nights and the other half we tried a different specialty restaurant. All were very good to excellent. Dinner tended to take 90-110 minutes... Never a full two hours. We all ordered different things and never had much to complain about. One night my steak was a little on the fatty side for me, so ate around the fat and didn't order that again. The variety of desserts was really good, and the desserts were much better than I was led to believe they would be. Food as a whole was very good, service better than average, and we never went hungry.

Splash academy for the 10-12 year old group was spot on. The theme game nights were perfect for what this age group is in to. The counselors were fantastic. My fairly shy daughter hardly wanted to leave! We did have to eat dinner early--5:30, and explained that we needed her to get her entrée when we got our appetizers (she skipped the appetizer each night to speed up dinner for herself), we were accommodated everywhere but teppenyaki where that isn't really possible. This way our daughter could get to splash academy by 7 or 7:15 for the nighttime activity. For a spring break cruise there were only about 100 kids on board. I think this was due to it being more than a week long cruise.

We did attend a couple of the nighttime shows and those were enjoyable. Especially the Living Legends show... The girl that played Madonna was awesome. We also attended a couple of the game shows, very fun! My daughter climbed the rock wall a couple of times, what a scary and fun challenge! The pool(s) are a little small, not sure what people expect to be able to fit on a ship. But after dinner was the best time to go in them... No people! Not much shade on the pool deck, and we were all burned in Aruba... So we stuck with the lounge chairs along the jogging track on deck 13... Could still hear the pool deck music, less crowded and shaded :)

Our steward was fantastic, both rooms were kept very clean and we saw him multiple times a day either in our room or nearby in the halls, he always had a kind word and wanted to make sure we were having a good time.

Went to three tastings... Whiskey, mojitos, and margaritas. All three were lots of fun and very worth the $15 pp price. Kids virgin drinks are pricey, we only allowed our daughter one a day... But $5.31 including the service charge for a virgin piña colada is too much. I wish NCL would do something about that.

There was an outbreak of Noro on our sailing. Well, we washed our hands like crazy anyway, and did even more when we learned of the outbreak, and none of us got sick. I have to applaud the way the ship handled the situation. I actually preferred the buffet once no one was allowed to serve themselves... It moved much quicker and seemed more organized. After seeing the ship in action dealing with an outbreak, I would not worry in the future. I know you can get GI illnesses from anywhere, but the ship's crew did an amazing job containing it to just over 100 people we were told.

The ports were great and the islands were varied. Loved the amount of time we had each day in port. Had no issues getting on or off the ship. We booked our own excursions privately and did not use ship excursions.

Things I saw that made me shake my head... People putting their dirty room key between their lips to hold it so someone could spritz their hands with disinfectant. People putting 3 chairs together and laying on the middle one with their hands and feet on the ones on either side of them. People taking an extra lounger to put their stuff on next to them... Not to reserve it, just to hog it. People complaining about the repetitiveness of the buffet... Umm. Eat elsewhere then... There are many free choices.

Overall most people were friendly, the crew was top notch, customer service was spot on. We would cruise the Pearl again in a heartbeat.

Things I am glad we brought: little battery operated tea lights for the bathroom at night. Not too bright and easy to pack. Boca clips to hold the towel to the lounge chair... It was windy often... They also came in handy to clip wet things to the deck chairs to dry overnight (better than the line in the shower.). A cheap water proof watch, that we hung on the beach bag, so no one had to wear a watch or bring their phones. Vitamin waters and sodas. The water on the ship was fine, but it was nice to have some flavor without paying for the sodas. Plus we could refill our vitamin water bottles from the tap if we needed to.

Thanks for your review! It's nice to hear a positive one about the Pearl!

We are in a mid-ship mini-suite for our cruise next week (:D:D:D:D:D), just a few doors down from where you were, port side. You said your balcony was covered, is it a hull balcony?

Thanks! We really loved the Pearl!

It wasn't a hull balcony... But the deck above was overhanging. My mom's room was the last one covered that we could see (11590.). If you look at the deck plans, you can see deck 12 bulges out a bit from the forward pool (adults pool) to just about where the entourage dance club is... Which we were right below lol.

We were on your sailing also and have to second what a great job the crew did to combat the outbreak. Have to admit that I too preferred the buffet with all the serving being done by staff. It did move more quickly and just seemed cleaner. However one morning I asked for one slice of bacon and got a half plateful dropped on my plate but I guess there is no such thing as too much bacon. LOL

Nice cruise though and one of my favorite itineraries.

We were on your sailing also and have to second what a great job the crew did to combat the outbreak. Have to admit that I too preferred the buffet with all the serving being done by staff. It did move more quickly and just seemed cleaner. However one morning I asked for one slice of bacon and got a half plateful dropped on my plate but I guess there is no such thing as too much bacon. LOL

Nice cruise though and one of my favorite itineraries.

if too much bacon is the worst that happened... it was a good day ;)

Thanks! We really loved the Pearl!

It wasn't a hull balcony... But the deck above was overhanging. My mom's room was the last one covered that we could see (11590.). If you look at the deck plans, you can see deck 12 bulges out a bit from the forward pool (adults pool) to just about where the entourage dance club is... Which we were right below lol.

Ahhh, I see! I guess that will be nice for Alaska as it may keep the wind down some. Yes we are below the kids club but I do not expect too much noise as I don't think there will be too many kids on our sailing given the time and itinerary.

Ahhh, I see! I guess that will be nice for Alaska as it may keep the wind down some. Yes we are below the kids club but I do not expect too much noise as I don't think there will be too many kids on our sailing given the time and itinerary.

Even when the wind was howling on the pool deck, it was lovely on our balcony! We only had about 100 kids on our sailing... Because it was such a long cruise... The kids club was a blessing so the few that were there could get together!

My wife and I and some friends were on this cruise with you. We enjoy the Pearl a lot, and this cruise didn't disappoint, except for getting sick. I missed two islands. :(

But will be back on her next year!

Thanks for posting!:)

My wife and I and some friends were on this cruise with you. We enjoy the Pearl a lot, and this cruise didn't disappoint, except for getting sick. I missed two islands. :(

But will be back on her next year!

Thanks for posting!:)

Awww bummer you were in the group that got sick! We actually sat next to some people in one of the MDRs one night and 3 nights later ran into them and they asked if we were feeling okay. Apparently she got sick overnight that night we met them, ended up with 2 IVs of fluid by day 2, and he never got sick. So weird the way that works. They missed St Lucia, but she was on the mend in time for Kitts and Thomas.