A bit of a different passport question and frustration

kazu

[B]I wouldn't risk it. In the scheme of the cost of the cruise/travel/excursions etc, the passport renewal fees are not that significant to take a chance.

[/B]

[quote name='Barrheadlass']I have to get a new passport even though mine is good for another 8 years, as I don't have enough blank pages for an upcoming trip. Very annoying![/QUOTE]

[B] I have not personally had to do it but I have read on these forums where people send their passport to have extra pages added. I think there was no charge or if a charge, it was quite moderate.

You may wish to look into that.
[/B]

[quote name='kazu']As I said, I will renew it as I prefer to be safe. Aside from the logic, for what little it is worth, it would be a lot easier to renew it after.

DH has travel plans prior to our cruise so it is going to make renewal tricky or even earlier.[/QUOTE]

Just as a general FYI, I mailed mine in for renewal a few weeks ago and I got it back about 3 weeks later

[quote name='Boytjie']Just as a general FYI, I mailed mine in for renewal a few weeks ago and I got it back about 3 weeks later[/QUOTE]

Service is fast right now, we applied for first time passports on April 16th, and they came in the mail May 4th. We'd been told to expect 4-6 weeks, so it was a pleasant surprise to get them early.

[quote name='Boytjie']Just as a general FYI, I mailed mine in for renewal a few weeks ago and I got it back about 3 weeks later[/QUOTE]

[B] You list New York in your signature so you likely have U.S. Passport?

Kazu's is Canadian.
[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] You list New York in your signature so you likely have U.S. Passport?

Kazu's is Canadian.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, I forgot about that part!

I am a US/South Africa dual citizen. Don't ask how long it took to get my SA passport renewed...

[quote name='Boytjie']Oh, I forgot about that part!

I am a US/South Africa dual citizen. Don't ask how long it took to get my SA passport renewed...[/QUOTE]

[B] Sounds like an interesting story.
Happy you were successful in getting it done. :)
[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] Sounds like an interesting story.
Happy you were successful in getting it done. :)
[/B][/quote]

Well, is started on two nights before traveling back to South Africa in 2011, while packing when I noticed that my South African passport had expired! :eek:
I could not get a temporary replacement at the NY consulate the next day but was told I would be allowed into the country but had to renew there before I could leave (I have to enter and exit SA with my SA passport; same goes for US and US passport)

I applied for a temporary passport and a permanent on in Cape Town; the temporary one was ready the next day. When I left three weeks later the permanent one was not read - and it took longer than 6 months to get it! (Temporary South African passports are valid for one year)

[quote name='Boytjie']Well, is started on two nights before traveling back to South Africa in 2011, while packing when I noticed that my South African passport had expired! :eek:
I could not get a temporary replacement at the NY consulate the next day but was told I would be allowed into the country but had to renew there before I could leave (I have to enter and exit SA with my SA passport; same goes for US and US passport)

I applied for a temporary passport and a permanent on in Cape Town; the temporary one was ready the next day. When I left three weeks later the permanent one was not read - and it took longer than 6 months to get it! (Temporary South African passports are valid for one year)[/QUOTE]

[B] A bit stressful for you to experience but happy it worked out well for you. :)

Kind of you to share. Thank you, Peter.

[/B]

[SIZE=3]Kazu, I'm a fellow Canadian.
We had to renew our passports recently and opted for the 10 year passport - cost $160 per person. It took less than 3 weeks from submitting the forms to the passports in my mailbox.

[/SIZE]

[quote name='Boytjie']Well, is started on two nights before traveling back to South Africa in 2011, while packing when I noticed that my South African passport had expired! :eek:

I applied for a temporary passport and a permanent on in Cape Town; the temporary one was ready the next day. When I left three weeks later the permanent one was not read - and it took longer than 6 months to get it! (Temporary South African passports are valid for one year)[/QUOTE]

WOW! glad it worked out for you Peter.

[SIZE="4"]I sympathize with you Jacqui. DW passport expires in December of 2016. So, since we are on a June 2016 cruise, we have the same chore ahead. Better safe than sorry.;)

While we wonder exactly what expiration dates are for if the usability ceases 6 months prior, we will be renewing before the June cruise.:(

Cheers![/SIZE] Edited by AZNative2000

Kazu: My thought regarding the logic on the part of the cruise lines is that they have basically made the decision to limit [U]their [/U]liability (for any possible mistakes) by deciding to adhere to what is likely the most stringent standard, i.e., 6 months expiry. It isn't customer-centric, but rather driven by the fact that it's less likely THEY will make a mistake when they provide you with the requirements.

So in other words, from their POV it is logical. From yours, not so much. :D

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] I have not personally had to do it but I have read on these forums where people send their passport to have extra pages added. I think there was no charge or if a charge, it was quite moderate.

You may wish to look into that.
[/B][/QUOTE]

In the US, it costs $110 to renew a passport book for adults. It actually costs $82 to add pages to an existing passport.

I recently was in the same position as Barrheadlass, having run out of pages in my current passport, which did not expire until 2018.

I considered just adding the extra pages, but then thought to myself that I might as well pay the $110. The icing on the cake is that IF you request the larger number of pages at the time you renew your passport book, there is NO extra charge.

So for $28 more than just requesting extra pages, I get the extra pages plus I push my expiration back by 7 more years. :)

[quote name='AZNative2000'][SIZE="4"]I sympathize with you Jacqui. DW passport expires in December of 2016. So, since we are on a June 2016 cruise, we have the same chore ahead. Better safe than sorry.;)

While we wonder exactly what expiration dates are for if the usability ceases 6 months prior, we will be renewing before the June cruise.:(

Cheers![/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[quote name='cruisemom42']Kazu: My thought regarding the logic on the part of the cruise lines is that they have basically made the decision to limit [U]their [/U]liability (for any possible mistakes) by deciding to adhere to what is likely the most stringent standard, i.e., 6 months expiry. It isn't customer-centric, but rather driven by the fact that it's less likely THEY will make a mistake when they provide you with the requirements.

So in other words, from their POV it is logical. From yours, not so much. :D

In the US, it costs $110 to renew a passport book for adults. It actually costs $82 to add pages to an existing passport.

I recently was in the same position as Barrheadlass, having run out of pages in my current passport, which did not expire until 2018.

I considered just adding the extra pages, but then thought to myself that I might as well pay the $110. The icing on the cake is that IF you request the larger number of pages at the time you renew your passport book, there is NO extra charge.

So for $28 more than just requesting extra pages, I get the extra pages plus I push my expiration back by 7 more years. :)[/QUOTE]

Makes sense - thanks.

It does cost extra in Canada for the extra pages if you want more when you renew, but I will do it as you never know who will stamp and who won't

I think you are smart to just renew given the price differential.

much appreciated :)

[quote name='puppycanducruise'][SIZE=3]Kazu, I'm a fellow Canadian.
We had to renew our passports recently and opted for the 10 year passport - cost $160 per person. It took less than 3 weeks from submitting the forms to the passports in my mailbox.

[/SIZE][/quote]

We also renewed for the 10-yr passport. A quick form to fill out, a couple of pics and we dropped them off at a Passport Canada office and had them in the mail less than a week later.

[quote name='Barrheadlass']I have to get a new passport even though mine is good for another 8 years, as I don't have enough blank pages for an upcoming trip. Very annoying![/QUOTE]

We sent ours in in Oct 2013 to have extra pages added (think they still do that) and the State Dept got them back to us in about 2 weeks. It was a bit cheaper than a new passport as we still had many years on ours. Edited by take us away

[quote name='cruisemom42']

<snip>

So for $28 more than just requesting extra pages, I get the extra pages plus I push my expiration back by 7 more years. :)[/QUOTE]

[B] I likely would make the same choice.

If you are renewing because the expiration date is approaching, can request for extra pages at no additional charge be made or is it just when you are running out of pages?

[/B]

Thank you! I did plan to get a new passport rather than just the extra pages, but now I'll do both. As another poster mentioned, this is a nice problem to have...I'm so lucky, and grateful too, that I can travel as I do.

[quote name='Barrheadlass']In the US, it costs $110 to renew a passport book for adults. It actually costs $82 to add pages to an existing passport.

Thank you! I did plan to get a new passport rather than just the extra pages, but now I'll do both. As another poster mentioned, this is a nice problem to have...I'm so lucky, and grateful too, that I can travel as I do.[/QUOTE]

It is a nice problem to have, isn't it :)

In Canada (at least when I looked) the extra pages cost extra money in the passport. With a 10 year passport now available, I think it's the smart thing to do just the same.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] I likely would make the same choice.

If you are renewing because the expiration date is approaching, can request for extra pages at no additional charge be made or is it just when you are running out of pages?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, you can request the extra pages at no additional charge when renewing for any reason in the US.

They have some weasel wording on the application about not "promising" your request for extra pages will be honored, if for some reason they are out of the books with more pages. But in actual fact I've not heard of anyone who requested the additional pages not getting them.

[quote name='cruisemom42']Yes, you can request the extra pages at no additional charge when renewing for any reason in the US.

They have some weasel wording on the application about not "promising" your request for extra pages will be honored, if for some reason they are out of the books with more pages. But in actual fact I've not heard of anyone who requested the additional pages not getting them.[/QUOTE]

[B] Thanks for the information.

[/B]

It is not just the ports or cruise line you have to worry about in considering the expiry date of your passport. A friend of mine, Canadian, was travelling to the Caribbean recently and the airline refused to let her fly as her passport would expire in three or four months (I forget the details). They had to cancel their vacation.
Best to renew and be safe.