A bit of a different passport question and frustration

kazu

what if some unexpected international travel should happen?

Which is why I would renew as well. None of the ports you are scheduled to visit may require six months, but you never know what might happen that could change where you go. It is really no different than the endless "should I have a passport or not debate". 99.9% of the time it does not matter, but if yours is the 0.1% that it does, how much will you regret not having done what you easily could have to avoid the hassle?

Which is why I would renew as well. None of the ports you are scheduled to visit may require six months, but you never know what might happen that could change where you go. It is really no different than the endless "should I have a passport or not debate". 99.9% of the time it does not matter, but if yours is the 0.1% that it does, how much will you regret not having done what you easily could have to avoid the hassle?

thanks - good points. No question it will be renewed and at least the 10 years is now available. What boggles me is why it is necessary if the ports only require 3 months and we have an additional two and 1/2 months after that.

Of course, better safe than sorry, but I think HAL's recommendation is to cover those ports where it is 6 months and a general recommendation.

A long hospitalization without a return home could result in an expired passport whether it expires in 5 and 1/2 months or 6 months, I believe.

It's just the logic of it that boggles me. I'm not about to risk not being able to go on my cruise. I am just glad that now we have the 10 year option. At least that means you don't have to go through the hassle as often :)

Edited by kazu

My TA said to stick to the 6 mo. because one of the ports may change their rules (3 mo.) shortly before we leave. Just not worth the stress and frustration...IMHO.

that's a good point. The ports have been the same for a number of years, but things do change. thanks.

that's a good point. The ports have been the same for a number of years, but things do change. thanks.

Is it possible to speak with the passport center your passports will be renewed at or with the main passport contact to get their feedback? We were able to find out what the current average processing time was for routine and expedited passports which helped us make our decision about when to renew.

Edited by qsuzi

I'd renew mine, and bring along both with me. If the embarkation officials ask why the online check in information is different, you can show him both passports and explain. Safe than sorry.

Another fellow Canadian

Do you get your passport back when you renew? I know when we renewed my Canadian Passport several years ago they kept the old one and said it was a trial project with a view to making it standard practice. The person renewing at the next desk got to keep their's but we had drawn the staff member in the pilot. It was something to do with limiting forgery risk. I was disappointed because it was full of stamps and we like to keep the old ones as souvenirs. I plan to scan a copy before I renew again just in case.

Do you get your passport back when you renew? I know when we renewed my Canadian Passport several years ago they kept the old one and said it was a trial project with a view to making it standard practice. The person renewing at the next desk got to keep their's but we had drawn the staff member in the pilot. It was something to do with limiting forgery risk. I was disappointed because it was full of stamps and we like to keep the old ones as souvenirs. I plan to scan a copy before I renew again just in case.

Yes you do get your old passport back and we were so happy about that because those passport stamps bring back some great memories!

We have always gotten them back. They put a void and a hole in them but we have all of our stamps and visas.

We have a drawer full of them :) locked cabinet ;) DH likes to keep them so I keep the valid ones in a case, otherwise we could end up taking void ones - LOL

I never understood the logic behind the six month rule most cruise lines have......

glad someone else is questioning the logic. I was nearly sorry I started this thread. I am not a penny wise and a pound foolish. We will renew as I said from the beginning - but it makes no sense from a logical point of view.

I always thought that HAL required a certain time remaining on the passport by the time of boarding. No??

No, they recommend it but if you ask them, they will tell you to check with the ports you are visiting and use that but....there's always the but....

The 6 month guideline is there because a number of ports still require the 6 month expiry so they are doing a CYA.

Yes. We ran into the same situation earlier this year and our TA checked with HAL and they told her that we should renew now! Also did the 10 year thing, doesn't seem right, though!

Yes I always got the old one back. They asked whether I'd want it, and I told them yes. Then they cut the top right corner off the cover page, mailed the old one together with the new one to me. Last time I renewed passport was at the end of 2011, not sure whether there has been any changes to this practice.

Several US passport sites recommend starting the renewal process 8-9 months before expiration as the list of countries requiring 6-month expiration dates changes on a frequent basis. From the HAL website:
"Each country has its own entry requirements, and guests assume personal responsibility for having the necessary documents when boarding. Holland America Line highly recommends that all guests carry a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the completion date of your travel."

Personally, I always do the 'what could I gain, what could I lose' when making a decision like this. So as I see it ... what you gain with a new passport is peace of mind after the initial frustration (it is the government after all) and a 10-yr passport but what you would lose is 10% of the previous passport fee, 5 months of use, you may be refused boarding, or create major hassles on re-entry. Only you can make the decision that is correct for you.

[QUOTE=George'sGal;46487346]I never understood the logic behind the six month rule most cruise lines have......[/QUOTE]

According to HAL's website:
"Holland America Line highly recommends that all guests carry a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the completion date of your travel. Having a passport will enable you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event you miss your scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if you need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency."

Did have a friend who had to fly home due to a medical situation and she landed in 2 countries that she never anticipated, so who knows what their requirements were for passports.

[quote name='kazu']glad someone else is questioning the logic. I was nearly sorry I started this thread. I am not a penny wise and a pound foolish. We will renew as I said from the beginning - but it makes no sense from a logical point of view.[/QUOTE]

We got "forced" to renew under almost the same conditions. I wasn't going to do it but the cruise line, not HAL by the way, kind of insisted as we would have started the cruise with six months and a few days left on our passports but would have been under six months half way through the cruise. None of the places we were visiting had the six month standard for at least cruise ship passengers. I was a bit put out and also didn't get the logic but it was hard to argue with the rational of potentially not being allowed to start or finish our trip. Apparently there are countries that require at least six months and rather than get into a bind most cruise lines, air lines, TAs, etc., stick to that as the standard. Edited by Randyk47

[quote name='ninefishes']Yes I always got the old one back. They asked whether I'd want it, and I told them yes. Then they cut the top right corner off the cover page, mailed the old one together with the new one to me. Last time I renewed passport was at the end of 2011, not sure whether there has been any changes to this practice.[/QUOTE]

They still do that. We have all our old ones for UK and Canada.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]JMO -- I would renew them now.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]We have renewed passports 9 months early -- only because of all the rules and regulations. We don't want to get caught in any kind of weird situation. We have had too many things go wrong with planes and ships.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='I_r_a']Hey Kaz,

You are going to have to renew your passports immediately after you return, anyway.

How much more difficult will it be to do them in advance?

Ira[/QUOTE]

As I said, I will renew it as I prefer to be safe. Aside from the logic, for what little it is worth, it would be a lot easier to renew it after.

DH has travel plans prior to our cruise so it is going to make renewal tricky or even earlier.

[QUOTE=George'sGal;46487346]I never understood the logic behind the six month rule most cruise lines have......[/QUOTE]

The logic is that many countries require it, so the cruise lines pass those requirements on to their passengers. No cruise line wants to take passengers to countries where their passport is not accepted. Countries do not want foreign visitors' passports to expire while they are visiting.

[quote name='Barrheadlass']I have to get a new passport even though mine is good for another 8 years, as I don't have enough blank pages for an upcoming trip. Very annoying![/QUOTE]

Tough problem to have!:cool: