Am I the only one? Is food a deal breaker?

DMH15

So sometimes I want a hamburger and my wife want the buffet, or she wants pizza and I want a hamburger, can we not eat together? What's the difference between carrying your food to a neutral lounge and taking it to your cabin?

Agreed!

Considering my last trip with NCL, they skipped a stop because of weather and tendering along with know history of cruise lines (not just NCL) changing entire itineraries when its bad weather like hurricanes - No, one really doesn't have much of choice when that happens. The day NCL charges exorbitant charges for onboard entertainment like shows- is the day I switch to other cruise lines and add additional money for airfare. But they haven't (yet) and that's the key difference for me because food is not a big deal to me. If I want genuine steakhouse / french / Italian / Brazilian / authentic Chinese / Japanese restaurant experience - its literally right next door or subway ride away; not on a cruise ship for me. :rolleyes: I cruise for port stops, other amenities of the ship / line and relaxation, not for the food on the cruise ship. (It just has to be edible to eat for me - nothing more, nothing less)

Ok. So your stance boils down to "the current changes don't affect me, so I don't care." Which is fine. But given that you concede that there are changes NCL could make, while conforming with the contract, that you would find unacceptable and would cause you to switch lines, why all the vitriol towards those who feel strongly about the current changes?

I don't think you'd be a whiner or making something into life or death if you left for reasons you cared about. I'd think you were making a reasonable decision.

It is amazing that some can not accept the fact that others are not happy with decisions being made by NCL.

Regarding the cruise contract, it is only written to protect the cruise line, not the customer. Most customers know that. When you cruise you have to accept the contract it is non-negotiable.

People's principles guide their day to day decision making processes, and are held sacred.

When you disagree with another persons thoughts or opinions, just state why you disagree, but constantly coming back to attack their beliefs just shows a shallow, inconsiderate individual.

If I don't like something or product and I decide not to purchase or use it any further, don't waste your time trying to convince me that you are right. It is my money not yours. I am not a cheerleader for NCL or any other cruise line, I will respect your opinion, but respectfully disagree. In return, I will not waste my valuable time convincing you that your opinion is flawed, it just turns into a vicious cycle.

For all of us, if you have cruised with NCL or have a cruise booked, remember they have your money and that is all they want. So if not happy write a letter telling them why, and no longer use their company for your disposable income. There are other company's out that want to remove your money from your vacation dollars wallet, who may offer what we want to pay for. Don't use email, take time to write a cogent, concise letter. (In FDR's recent webcast on 7 May 15, he made it abundantly clear he has no respect or use for social media)

Serious question, please don't take offense.

Do diabetics take steak, eggs, chicken, and fish to sit around in their room in case of a hypoglycemic event? I just got off the the Sky and this policy was in effect. I saw no issue taking fruit and other items that can sit without needing refrigeration. It seems that the items they are really asking you to leave are cooked items that would not be safe to eat hours later. What, exactly, are these foods you want in your room? I'm really curious. Wouldn't a bag of Skittles be the ideal thing....it's easily portable and won't melt or spoil in normal temperatures.

If you are a hypoglycemic (as opposed to being a diabetic w/too much insulin taken) then yes glucose pills, a bag of skittles, a glass of orange juice etc...will help in the short term. However to truly stabilize blood sugar a balance of protein and carbs are needed. If I have an episode and eat my glucose tablets to at least get to the point that I am not shaking and dizzy I still do not feel well enough to schlep myself up to the Lido deck, stand in the buffet line carrying a heavy plate, walking around for 20 minutes to find someplace to sit in order to eat....It takes much less time to send my travelling companion to the buffet to grab what I need and bring back to the cabin while I am laying down. So yes this is a deal breaker for many who have medical conditions and disabilities. I realize that doesn't effect the NCL rah rahs but soon Del-Feeo will do something that will effect you and you will move on to another line eventually

[/color]

Agreed!

Or other half wants buffet- I want hot chicken wings with salad or veggies from the buffet- freestyle no more! Never ordered from room service, but do like to eat my meals when and where I please! Pity I have one more cruise locked in. I also have many food intolerances and tend to graze more than big meals so yes food is a deal breaker for me.

No, its not the only deal breaker but I must confess, the constant roll out of change since I booked my Escape voyage next year has me seriously considering cancelling and looking for another voyage on another line.

Why should I stay with a balcony that I can't eat on? So if i bring a banana or a box of cold cereal for my little ones that's an issue? Lame...mega lame.

No, its not the only deal breaker but I must confess, the constant roll out of change since I booked my Escape voyage next year has me seriously considering cancelling and looking for another voyage on another line.

Why should I stay with a balcony that I can't eat on? So if i bring a banana or a box of cold cereal for my little ones that's an issue? Lame...mega lame.

This is the boat I'm in as well. We booked a cruise for next May when our son will be 16 mos old. I have no idea what his nap/fuss schedules will be like, so I thought room service would be a nice option. But not since they've started charging for an "enhanced" menu which is similar to Princess's standard menu. So I figured if the boy was napping, my wife or I could run up to the buffet and grab some things and bring them back. Not any more.

Is it a deal breaker? No, not at this point since I don't know what to expect. But it might be for future NCL cruises if it proves to be a hassle. I'm on vacation; I'd rather not have to perpetually be avoiding hassles or charges for things which were included when I booked.

Yes, very well put and explains what I think a lot of peoples thoughts are. Stupid policy is a stupid policy.

OP here. Thanks to all who have posted.

Whereas I said I don't get it, I see that a lot of you are feeling impacted and disgruntled about the changes. I hear ya. And I respect your feelings about your choices and preferences. Some of you have "reasons" and others just "like it that way". Regardless, I appreciate our differences. Thanks for enlightening me.

I would have no issue, as long as you say "excuse me, do you mind if I go ahead of you, my child is having a meltdown because he/she wants X. thank you."

That's very nice of you. I do not expect that would be the normal response from most people though. I think there will be overall more frustrated people and chaoticness in the dining venues.

I can accept that some have no issue with the changes, but why do CC members have keep trying to convince those who hold a different opinion that they are incorrect. Post after post, and then ignoring confirmation of the change by those who have reached out to NCL.

This policy doesn't currently effect me now, but it would have for the last five years. My dearly departed Jinglette suffered from chronic health problems and cruising was the only vacation option that worked for us. Breakfast was delivered by room service, lunch was delivered by me from the buffet. Both enjoyed on the balcony. Every other evening we enjoyed a good meal in one of the restaurants.

The room and the balcony watching the ocean were her vacation. I know it doesn't sound like much of a holiday to most of you, but it was for her. That my friends was what she was able to handle.

Many of the changes that NCL has made in the last few months would have effected her vacation to the point where we would have left NCL. I know we weren't the only people who used NCL in a similar manner. I've met many. So you can say it doesn't effect "me", but it might someday.

I'm sure I'll be flamed from bring such a frail lady onto a cruise ship. Jinglette knew she was dying and doing it on a cruise ship would have been ideal for her. My guess is NCL doesn't mind getting rid of people like her.

As I see it, "Freestyle" is dying before my eyes. Not a big deal in the overall picture, but annoying none the less. Nothing stays the same!

Jingle

So sorry to hear about your loss. I would have to believe that your reason for room service and carrying away food would fall under a very good reason to make an exception to the rule.

In the past was NCL accommodating to your needs?

That's very nice of you. I do not expect that would be the normal response from most people though. I think there will be overall more frustrated people and chaoticness in the dining venues.
I think you are wrong. As long as the offender is polite about it, most people will return in kind. If everything stands as is, you are going to have those that are rude about it and those that are polite. If you go over the threads, there are those that say they will gladly spread the noro virus because of the changes, there are those that say they will keep their child in a restaurant, while throwing a fit, to purposely disturb the other passengers. These are the passengers that will be treated rudely by the other customers, but if someone politely ask to jump in front of someone because their child is having a meltdown, I think most will understand, because there are a lot of nice people around.

I can accept that some have no issue with the changes, but why do CC members have keep trying to convince those who hold a different opinion that they are incorrect. Post after post, and then ignoring confirmation of the change by those who have reached out to NCL.
If you think about it, it goes both ways. Those that have issues do the same things with regard to postings, as those that have no issue with them....they try to convince us that we should have an issue with the changes, because they do. Edited by NLH Arizona

I think you are wrong. As long as the offender is polite about it, most people will return in kind. If everything stands as is, you are going to have those that are rude about it and those that are polite. If you go over the threads, there are those that say they will gladly spread the noro virus because of the changes, there are those that say they will keep their child in a restaurant, while throwing a fit, to purposely disturb the other passengers. These are the passengers that will be treated rudely by the other customers, but if someone politely ask to jump in front of someone because their child is having a meltdown, I think most will understand, because there are a lot of nice people around.

Sure, you say yes to the first request. Maybe the second or third. But even a cool customer like you is going to get frustrated at some point with the long lines, loud kids, people thinking they can jump ahead etc.

I'm just saying that it all adds up to a situation with more frustration and a less relaxing environment for everyone. Maybe not for you in particular but I think a few thousand others in the ship are going to start to get irritated.

NCL either have not thought of these potential congestion and service issues, or they simply don't care. Once they have your money there isn't a strong incentive for them to increase service and deliver your paid for product faster. The less they serve leads to less prep. Less prep means less ordering. Less ordering means fewer staff needed to prepare, deliver, and clean.

They had an industry accepted model for 40 plus years but have decided to turn it upside down and shake to see if any loose coins fall out. I think it will prove to be penny wise and dollar foolish for them.

It will be interesting to dredge this up in 2 or 3 years time and see what direction things go from here.

Now allowing food from the buffet to the cabin is ridiculous. I've never used room service, never brought food back myself...by DH takes an occasional apple or orange.

People with kids, people who don't feel well, people who want to dine on the privacy of their balcony, people who don't want to fight the crowd in the buffet, people who want a snack......

I hate to say this...but it sounds like this is the first step towards "limiting food"...or making all food a la carte. (Pay for what you want...and eat it anywhere you want.)

Sure, you say yes to the first request. Maybe the second or third. But even a cool customer like you is going to get frustrated at some point with the long lines, loud kids, people thinking they can jump ahead etc.

I'm just saying that it all adds up to a situation with more frustration and a less relaxing environment for everyone. Maybe not for you in particular but I think a few thousand others in the ship are going to start to get irritated.

NCL either have not thought of these potential congestion and service issues, or they simply don't care. Once they have your money there isn't a strong incentive for them to increase service and deliver your paid for product faster. The less they serve leads to less prep. Less prep means less ordering. Less ordering means fewer staff needed to prepare, deliver, and clean.

They had an industry accepted model for 40 plus years but have decided to turn it upside down and shake to see if any loose coins fall out. I think it will prove to be penny wise and dollar foolish for them.

It will be interesting to dredge this up in 2 or 3 years time and see what direction things go from here.

I must think differently than you. There are already rude people on cruises that cut in line, keep screaming children in restaurants, etc. and I don't think those that are not in that category will all of a sudden become rude, just because of these policy changes. Those that already do these things or come on here and talk about spreading noro or purposely keeping a screaming child in a restaurant to disturb others would have probably done that even without the changes.

It might be more frustrating for some and those are the ones that should possibly try another cruise line.

Before "freestyle", fixed dining had been the industry's accepted model and then NCL decided to turn it upside down and shake things up and look at what happened.

Who knows if these policies will stick for any length of time. They might be here for years or they might go away tomorrow, but while they are here, I'll adhere to them and still continue to enjoy my cruises with NCL. If you feel differently, I certainly respect your right to have a different opinion, I just wish that some on your side would respect that some have a different opinion from theirs.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I can not believe that you are attempting to defend this money grab with such asinine reasoning.....unless of course you are a shill for NCL as that would be the only thing that makes sense.

If you are not a NCL employee then you may be exactly what you appear to be....

I also read both versions of Royal's contracts as well (for all ships and Brilliance one) - that would be smart thing to do, so one can know their rights in case a situation rises. Finding the guest contracts of the cruise lines before booking is not that hard to do. And no, I'm not a NCL employee - just a well-informed consumer especially when large amounts of money is involve.

I'm currently on Getaway and I asked my waitress last night what they would do if I had a toddler with me who was having a meltdown and needed to leave the restaurant so our toddler could go to bed. She told me that has happened before and that they would pack up the rest of our meals and send them to our room through room service complimentary. I think, if I had a child having a meltdown, leaving the restaurant as swiftly as possible would be exactly what I would want to do. Last night, we did leave the restaurant with our dessert uneaten for unforeseen reasons and it was delivered to our cabin by room service in under 5 minutes, along with the proper cutlery at no extra charge. To me, this is actually better service than the old "take out" type policy since we didn't have to schlep anything through the ship to our cabin and the service was performed swiftly.

I am on the Getaway right now. This morning, I was walking about the ship and saw many, many passengers with food and drink they had taken from the buffet. I believe, based on this, that taking the food from the buffet is still allowed, otherwise, there would not be so many, many people openly carrying the food around.

I am on the Getaway right now. This morning, I was walking about the ship and saw many, many passengers with food and drink they had taken from the buffet. I believe, based on this, that taking the food from the buffet is still allowed, otherwise, there would not be so many, many people openly carrying the food around.
Were they just taking it to the pool deck?

When I spoke with Guest Services yesterday, I was told they had not formalized the policy with regard to the buffet, while someone else got an email & call that said buffet food could only be taken to the pool deck, while someone else called and was told that only hot food could not be taken out from the buffet and Cruise Critic was told no food can be taken out of restaurants or buffet. So who knows.

Edited by NLH Arizona

When I spoke with Guest Services yesterday, I was told they had not formalized the policy with regard to the buffet, while someone else got an email & call that said buffet food could only be taken to the pool deck, while someone else called and was told that only hot food could not be taken out from the buffet and Cruise Critic was told no food can be taken out of restaurants or buffet. So who knows.

I called as well and was told that food was to be consumed in the venues in which you got the food from. I also called when they were going to implement the new fee for room service and I was told they were not going to roll it out on all ships...

Cruise Critic reported the truth!

I am glad that those on the Getaway are taking food out of the buffet, but were are they going with the food?

I am just surmising that NCL has not figured out how to invoke the policy on this ship, such as what is the penalty, removal at the next port at your own expense (allowed under the contract, for those who constantly justify NCL actions by bringing up the contract), a cleaning fee for plates, is this crew just ignoring a contentious policy or is there no clear directive form the TOP BRASS! Who knows, just NCL at its best, useless!

I guess I will never know. I am done with this crap!

Lack of accurate information is the most frustrating part of these changes and cause folks to spiral out of control with their comments.

If they want to make changes that's their right all I ask is that they issue a detailed press release.

I said it elsewhere in the thread, but I guess they're choosing to ignore it: in "community/social media management 101" which I've seen materials from several large companies, one of the first things they train people on is to completely ignore and not engage people threatening to cancel service/order. They are empty threats: those threats are seldom carried out. A few might talk the talk and walk the walk, but the number it's statistically insignificant. But alas, it's a bit of a custom in the Internet to make such threats and ruckus every time a change is enacted or proposed, so I'm not holding my breath people will stop making these childish threats any time soon.

Which is why I don't take some of the complaints serious anymore - if its such a dealbreaker and your trips are not within the 3 month payment deadline, then reconsider the booking / cruise line. I'm not going to convince anyone to stay with a line that done them so wrong; if anything; it would be smarter to pick another line that has what a person want and NCL just does not have it for some people. But to disparage a line (any line for that matter) while still booked for months / years before the actual trip start, is just hypocritical. Its not just a matter of money, its also matter of self-respect and common sense -if the policies of cruise line makes you so upset that second-guessing that it will be enjoyable, then have the decency for yourself to rethink and/or cancel the trip because one should not waste money to be miserable on their vacation.