Am I the only one? Is food a deal breaker?

DMH15

I can't imagine eating in the cabin. They are tiny as it is and bringing food to the cabin does nothing but make it smell nasty. Hopefully this will result in cleaner more sanitary cabins, cleaner and less stinky hallways, less work for the stewards and a more enjoyable overall cruise experience. :):):)

This issue has never been about snacks, such as cookies, its about the plates of food that get left everywhere and end up making the whole ship smell.

No one is going to stop you from taking cookies or yoghourt back to your cabin in your book bag. No one is suggesting that they are going to stop selling candy and other snacks in the gift shops.

This is all about nasty plates of food that become disgusting after an hour out in the hot, humid air that permeates a cruise ship.

Kudos to NCL and hopefully they stick to their guns.

A big yes on all fronts. Plates of food left out in the corridor on the floor too. Horrible.

Aside from the complaints about how they've sprung it on people, in general room service in hotels is always more expensive than in the hotel's restaurant because it's so much more faff and work for them to be walking round corridors delivering and collecting plates of food.

Hence previously it was a crap menu so nobody really bothered and now it's a nominal charge for the extra effort involved and mess to clean up. NCL seem to be saying 'we'd rather you ate in areas where we can manage it better than in hundreds of cabins dotted here there and everywhere' If you still want to eat in room it's a small cash sacrifice on your part. They are just gently discouraging it by disallowing self room service from buffets etc.

(It's still free in the Haven anyway so I'm sorted either way) :D

I remember last year when NCL and Carnival restricted smoking off balconies these boards were swamped. Can't smoke on the balcony? The outrage! No more cruising! I wondered then, is cruising not more than that?

And now, it's food. You are ALL entitled to your opinions, your choices and your frustrations. But now it seems to me I see those same parallells as before.

From the sound of it we need to be constantly eating while on a cruise ship. Everywhere. In restaurants, while lounging, in our cabins. Really? Without a dining table I find eating in a cabin kind of unappealing. I cruised with my sister in November and I joked on an earlier thread how she brought her take home desserts back to our fridge where they accumulated. I kept my mouth shut so we wouldn't argue. Likewise she wanted to carry our buffet breakfast back to our balcony. We did it once. Again, I did it to make her happy. Juggling my plate on my lap was not my idea of fun. Neither was carrying back food, juice and coffee. I wonder how many people spill? I did not want to leave messy plates in our cabin or in the hallway so back I went to the buffet. So, it seemed a lot off fuss for that "feeling". I just don't get it.

My mom was sick on the Jewel on our TA so she had sandwiches via room service, but other than that we went to the restaurant except when in a suite. And in my experience the delivery and pick up of dishes and having a dining table make that possible. I would not want to sit on my bed and eat dinner. I guess since I do not do that at home I can't imagine doing it on a ship.

Am I the only one who does not get it? Are the new "rules" about take out and room service really deal breakers for so many? Enough to drive you to another line or away from cruising if other lines follow? Or is this the new topic that will eventually go away?

Or is this just the straw that broke the camel's back... On the heels of so many changes? And have everyone rattled asking "what's next?"

Another who totally agrees with you. I was brought up to eat meals at the table. I cannot imagine eating a meal with a knife and fork, on my lap , sitting on the bed. I also enjoy going to eat dinner (and breakfast or luncH) in a restaurant or the buffet. For me that way of eating just doesn't feel right.

For me the new rules mean less dirty dishes to weave my way around as I come and go from my room. That is the health and safety issue.

That is the health and safety issue.

Which of course never, ever became an "issue" until they started charging for room service. (And of course as long as you pay the fee you may continue to put your plates in the hallway because those plates are much cleaner and healthier than the old plates:rolleyes:;).)

This is not a deal breaker for me.

For the most part the menu didn't have much that I would want to eat. However, it was very nice having breakfast delivered on excursion days. Originally I was reading that continental breakfast was included, but maybe it isn't.

Does anyone know if there is a gratuity automatically added to the room service fee? I know you don't have to tip, but I feel obligated to. That makes it even more expensive.

I would be willing to pay a few bucks for room service, $5 or less but with a tip the new few could end up being around $10 and that's more than I'm willing to spend.

Now, a word about the term Freestyle. There seems to be some confusion as to how NCL defines this. It means you have many choices of where you eat and that you can eat whenever you want as opposed to having set seating times for dinner.

So much for 'Freestyle', huh?

It's Freestyle, not 'Free-for-all'

And I think we all know freestyle refers to the freedom to choose and book restaurants like normal and not having the cruising traditions of set mealtimes and stricter dress codes.

It's Freestyle, not 'Free-for-all'

And I think we all know freestyle refers to the freedom to choose and book restaurants like normal and not having the cruising traditions of set mealtimes and stricter dress codes.

"eat where you want to, with whom you want to, and when you want to and not have the cruise line dictate these terms to you". NCL has obviously come up with an excuse that sounds plausible to many, but it doesn't pass the sniff test to me since they still allow consuming food in the cabin as long as you pay for it.

I can't imagine eating in the cabin. They are tiny as it is and bringing food to the cabin does nothing but make it smell nasty. Hopefully this will result in cleaner more sanitary cabins, cleaner and less stinky hallways, less work for the stewards and a more enjoyable overall cruise experience. :):):)

This issue has never been about snacks, such as cookies, its about the plates of food that get left everywhere and end up making the whole ship smell.

No one is going to stop you from taking cookies or yoghourt back to your cabin in your book bag. No one is suggesting that they are going to stop selling candy and other snacks in the gift shops.

This is all about nasty plates of food that become disgusting after an hour out in the hot, humid air that permeates a cruise ship.

Kudos to NCL and hopefully they stick to their guns.

Plus 1

Jancruz1

NCL is making these moves to reduce costs. They are choosing areas that impact the customer experience and value model.

1. Restricting taking food back to the room wouldn't be a big deal if room service didn't cause a $7.95 fee.

2. The fee isn't designed to raise revenue, it's to serve as a deterrent to placing room service orders. Not enough room service orders less staff required.

3. Food not eaten around the ship, less clean up, work. Again fewer crew hours needed to clean and shine.

4. Food not removed and taken back to cabin never to be eaten, leads to less food waste so lower grocery expenses.

5. Reduction of these changes will come when customers make different choices or staff choose other employment options. I'm not suggesting anyone do anything to "show NCL", just indicating how businesses tend to react.

6. The consistent cruiser likes the service level of cruising, remove those and those bread and butter customers will find other vacation options. Those customers have the time, resources and desire to travel, NCL and cruising won't be the only option.

I think you make some good points, I'll add some of my thoughts to them.

Also, to answer the OP...no, these changes are not deal breakers for us.

1. I agree

2 & 3. I kind of hope it works. This past weekend, we were walking down the halls late at night and for some reason about 1/3 of the cabins had plates outside their door. It was gross to see SO many dirty plates along the hall. I blame this on the staff (not the passengers), they should have made a dirty dish run and picked them up. I'm happy with any policy that fixes that problem. A simple solution would be to have pax dial an extension to let them know they have finished their meal.

4. To me, it doesn't seem as if it would help the grocery bill...but I could be wrong.

Don't see how food in the room can be equated with smoking on the balcony. Second hand smoke is unhealthy, and NASTY. Food in the room does not affect passengers in other cabins.

I personally prefer to eat in a dining room, but maybe I want to save my desert for later? One party member doesn't feel like going to eat, bring them something? Really petty things to ban if they are really going to enforce this.

Just a short question to those of you who are already very upset (in lack of a better word) regarding some of the changes at NCL lately:

Why not wait until you have experienced yourself how this (and other changes) will affect you during a cruise, before you decide that NCL is not the cruise line for you anymore. Maybe it will be a terrible cruise for you because of the changes anyway (particularly since you kind of have decided already that it will be a cruise that you will not enjoy?), or maybe you will find out that some of it doesn't really matter to you because the changes are not as bad as you thought they would be, or that some of the topics have been kind of blown out of proportion here on CC because of speculations about how it will be. You might even find out that you are perfectly fine with the changes, as they represent just a small percentage of your full cruise experience.

Edited by TrumpyNor

Plus 1

Jancruz1

plus 2. A cruise isn't all about eating although you'd think that was all there was according to the complainers. Even if a cruise was 'perfect', they'd find something to complain about. What's next? I'm sure the complainers will find something. With so many restaurants and eateries, why would anyone want to eat in their staterooms? And there are plenty of outside eateries to get lunch so you don't have to sneak food from the buffet. On the other hand, if that's all people can think of to complain about, so be it. If someone cancels a cruise because of the changes NCL is making, then maybe it's time for them to jump ship. But first, check the complaints on the other cruise lines....same thing. The Carnival site even has NCL changes posted on it. Complainers will be complainers and will never be happy, which is too bad since cruising is such a delightful experience. Most people on board ships have never heard of Cruise Critic so the complainers should not consider themselves a majority nor should they think that the cruise lines care about their complaints. The flame throwers will probably have a field day with my opinion.

It isn't about the food. It's about the fact that Norwegian changes their policies midstream when people have no chance to cancel. This means they can change anything. Yes they can instate a fee in the MDR or buffet with NO notice for people who have no opportunity to cancel. Expect that next.

When you sign your contract, you agree to accept this fact. You sign any rights you may have had away.

Think big picture and you'll realize that this is a HUGE deal. I think anyone would be a fool to book this line. A fool! I say this while getting ready to sail Norwegian tomorrow. Sad for me. I would rather do about anything else.

Youd really rather do anything then go on a cruise? That's a bit steep.

I do agree though that any cruise line should not be able to make changes that impact costs without sufficient notification and grandfathering in. I'd suspect they'd have few cancellations but a much better PR. Maybe one day the government will regulate this aspect of the industry.

Just a short question to those of you who are already very upset (in lack of a better word) regarding some of the changes at NCL lately:

Why not wait until you have experienced yourself how this (and other changes) will affect you during a cruise, before you decide that NCL is not the cruise line for you anymore. Maybe it will be a terrible cruise for you because of the changes anyway (particularly since you kind of have decided already that it will be a cruise that you will not enjoy?), or maybe you will find out that some of it doesn't really matter to you because the changes are not as bad as you thought they would be, or that some of the topics have been kind of blown out of proportion here on CC because of speculations about how it will be. You might even find out that you are perfectly fine with the changes, as they represent just a small percentage of your full cruise experience.

That's my plan (with the caveat that my cruise isn't until May 2016, so who knows what will change between now and then; my faith that what I've been told I purchased will be what a receive once I'm on board isn't very strong right now).

However, the "why not just try it," while applicable to, say, a hamburger, is less applicable to a potentially multi-thousand dollar vacation. If people feel that this would negatively impact their trip to the point that they want to cancel, I would suggest they do so and save/reapply their money elsewhere.

Edited by Cauzneffct

First they came for the smokers and I said nothing because I do not smoke.

Next they came for the people who like room service and I said nothing because I don't use room service.

Then they came for people who like to take food out of the dining rooms and I said nothing because I don't like to take food out of the dining room.

Then they came for the thing I like and there was no one left to say anything.

First they came for the smokers and I said nothing because I do not smoke.

Next they came for the people who like room service and I said nothing because I don't use room service.

Then they came for people who like to take food out of the dining rooms and I said nothing because I don't like to take food out of the dining room.

Then they came for the thing I like and there was no one left to say anything.

A little extreme, don't you think?

Yes, it's a deal breaker for my family. It's not really because of my kids (youngest is 7), but because of me.

I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. I'm in the minority of diabetics, because the majority control their blood sugar through diet and exercise and medications other than insulin. Those of us who take insulin have to be fairly vigilant at making sure our blood sugar stays within the normal range. I've been doing this for more than 30 years, so I've gotten pretty good at it. However, there are times (e.g. when a schedule changes and I'm more active than I normally might be at home), where I might miss the mark on the amount of insulin I need to take. At those times, I can become hypoglyemic, and that can become a medical emergency very quickly if I don't eat something soon.

WHAT?? I am a type I diabetic and would NEVER depend on snacks/food from the cruise line or a hotel for a hypoglycemic episode. Why are you not carrying glucotabs, smarties.fast acting gluco-gel......and glucagon? This is irresponsible on YOUR part.

When I travel, I always bring snacks to have in my hotel room with me. Last year, we took our very first cruise on the Dawn, and we loved it. In addition to the fun of the cruise, one of the side benefits was that I didn't have to pack a ton of snacks. This might seem trivial, but trust me, it isn't. You always need to have a snack with you, just in case, or have ready access to food.

Yes, I understand I'm on a cruise ship and there is food round the clock. However, if I awake at 3 AM and I'm hypoglycemic, I'm not going to want to leave my cabin and find my way to wherever the food is, simply because Norwegian has decided I can't take my snacks back to the cabin with me. During a hypoglycemic episode, a person is not usually thinking as clearly as normal and to me, this possible situation is a needless hassle and potential risk. The easier solution for me and my family is to find another cruise line which allows me the convenience I need, because quite frankly, if I am paying to cruise where there is abundant food, I shouldn't still have to tote my own snacks with me.

OH MY GOD!! I am a type i diabetic since childhood ( 43 years, thank you. YOU are responsible to carry your own fast-acting carbs. I would NEVER EVER leave my LIFE in the hands of a cruise line, restaurant, hotel! YOu know that you must carry glucotabs, gluco gel- even smarties! How about your glucagon kit?? While you may despise the changes that NCL has made, it is complete BS to contend that they, not you, are responsible for your health. EVERY type I diabetic knows to carry fast acting carbs with them-portable, non-perishible, life -saving snacks. The hystrionics are simply silly. YOu can have all the carbs you need in a bag smaller than your fist. You dont need to be toting around roast beef sandwiches. SMH

AND- Type 2 diabetics dont usually use insulin. By definition, an insulin dependent diabetic is...wait for it--DEPENDENT on INSULIN!!

Edited by PDIDDYwife

Exactly. Done and done. I just called and cancelled my upcoming sailing and re-booked on RCCL. It was a better price with much less nickle-and-diming. I love LOVE NCL but I'm not afraid to take my money elsewhere if I feel like unfair policies are being put in place.

It's not a matter of being a "complainer." It's a matter of comfort level of what I feel I can deal with versus not. It's also a "vote" in a certain direction.

That's my plan (with the caveat that my cruise isn't until May 2016, so who knows what will change between now and then; my faith that what I've been told I purchased will be what a receive once I'm on board isn't very strong right now).

However, the "why not just try it," while applicable to, say, a hamburger, is less applicable to a potentially multi-thousand dollar vacation. If people feel that this would negatively impact their trip to the point that they want to cancel, I would suggest they do so and save/reapply their money elsewhere.

plus 2. A cruise isn't all about eating although you'd think that was all there was according to the complainers. Even if a cruise was 'perfect', they'd find something to complain about. What's next? I'm sure the complainers will find something. With so many restaurants and eateries, why would anyone want to eat in their staterooms? And there are plenty of outside eateries to get lunch so you don't have to sneak food from the buffet. On the other hand, if that's all people can think of to complain about, so be it. If someone cancels a cruise because of the changes NCL is making, then maybe it's time for them to jump ship. But first, check the complaints on the other cruise lines....same thing. The Carnival site even has NCL changes posted on it. Complainers will be complainers and will never be happy, which is too bad since cruising is such a delightful experience. Most people on board ships have never heard of Cruise Critic so the complainers should not consider themselves a majority nor should they think that the cruise lines care about their complaints. The flame throwers will probably have a field day with my opinion.

plus 3 and your post - Eating is NOT the only activity to do on a cruise; I would think entertainment like shows and other activities like rock climbing would be more important. Guess not on this forum....

I don't see anyone saying that eating is the most important part of their cruise. This thread is about a very specific topic related to a vague, yet mostly perceived as negative, policy set forth by NCL. That is why food is the center topic.

If NCL started charging for the rock wall, I'm sure there would be similarly concerned threads about how there is now a fee for the rock wall. Is the rock wall the ONLY activity to do on a cruise? No.

I feel like the point here is being missed altogether...

plus 3 and your post - Eating is NOT the only activity to do on a cruise; I would think entertainment like shows and other activities like rock climbing would be more important. Guess not on this forum....

I don't see anyone saying that eating is the most important part of their cruise. This thread is about a very specific topic related to a vague, yet mostly perceived as negative, policy set forth by NCL. That is why food is the center topic.

If NCL started charging for the rock wall, I'm sure there would be similarly concerned threads about how there is now a fee for the rock wall. Is the rock wall the ONLY activity to do on a cruise? No.

I feel like the point here is being missed altogether...

Right. I don't particularly care for the musical numbers (and thus don't usually go to them), but I would think it was bogus if NCL started charging a convenience charge to attend the shows, particularly if passengers were first made aware of such a change once they arrived on board.

Exactly!! :D

Right. I don't particularly care for the musical numbers (and thus don't usually go to them), but I would think it was bogus if NCL started charging a convenience charge to attend the shows, particularly if passengers were first made aware of such a change once they arrived on board.

I really dislike how they make the changes too. I feel like when you book something you're entitled to what is offered at the time. I'd hate to find out on my cruise they decide to start to charge for the water slide or pool. I was going to say lounge chair but I guess they already do, that's one of the perks when you pay for the Haven right?

I think this policy is strictly aimed at plates of food. I don't think you will be stopped for cookies, ice cream etc. I think it's aimed at people carrying multiple plates out with them. I actually agree with the policy for the following reasons:

1. It will help clear the clutter. Staff won't have to worry about picking up plates at the pool deck. NCL is investing heavily in building more breakaway + class ships which have al la fresco eating options on them for those who want to sit outside.

2. It will keep "accidents" from happening. There will always be the over zealous buffet people who get more than what they can carry and drop food or entire plates on the way back to the pool/room that the staff has to clean up. It will also keep those people from taking up deck chairs and deck space with multiple plates.

3. The staff will be able to track where the dishes are. Since the only rooms that should have dishes will be the ones who order room service, they only will need to keep track of those when it comes to cleaning up said dishes. I wouldn't be surprised if rooms start getting hit with charges if room service picks up plates from rooms that aren't accounted from.

4. I've been on 3 cruises so far and I personally find it hard to eat on balconies because I don't have a table. The one time I did have a table on my balcony (Getaway M6)I never did bring anything back or order room service. However I can say that at sea it can be very windy and food can easily be blown about sometimes. That or maybe guests where dumping food overboard.

This move won't effect if I book future cruises with NCL. All the other changes (increase in DSC, increase and mandatory gratuity on specialty dining, no smoking on balconies, charge for some room service items) where already in place or being put into place by its competitors so I wouldn't be surprised if this is something that the other cruise lines also announce in the next 3-6 months.

OH MY GOD!! I am a type i diabetic since childhood ( 43 years, thank you. YOU are responsible to carry your own fast-acting carbs. I would NEVER EVER leave my LIFE in the hands of a cruise line, restaurant, hotel! YOu know that you must carry glucotabs, gluco gel- even smarties! How about your glucagon kit?? While you may despise the changes that NCL has made, it is complete BS to contend that they, not you, are responsible for your health. EVERY type I diabetic knows to carry fast acting carbs with them-portable, non-perishible, life -saving snacks. The hystrionics are simply silly. YOu can have all the carbs you need in a bag smaller than your fist. You dont need to be toting around roast beef sandwiches. SMH

AND- Type 2 diabetics dont usually use insulin. By definition, an insulin dependent diabetic is...wait for it--DEPENDENT on INSULIN!!

Okay...so I wasn't the only other Type 1 out there who was offended by original diabetic poster. Thanks for confirming for me! I freaked out when I saw that they depended on the buffet to counteract low blood sugars.