Am I the only one? Is food a deal breaker?

DMH15

Lack of accurate information is the most frustrating part of these changes and cause folks to spiral out of control with their comments.

If they want to make changes that's their right all I ask is that they issue a detailed press release.

I totally agree. When a company makes a change, first they should have all their ducks in a row (which usually takes many meetings to determine every question that will be ask and how to answer them and how every issue will be treated) and when they roll it out, they should announce it to their customers or providers (those that are affected) in a press release in a way that is understood by all. NCL, as has been reported on here, has a major issue with communication. You would have thought that NCL would have had a bell go off, when they made the last changes, saying let's not make that mistake again, but it didn't sink in I guess. Maybe, they will get it by the time the next change comes.

I just called NCL and said that I wished to confirm, before booking my flight, that no food could be taken from the buffet to the cabin. I was told after being put on hold for 10 minutes that this is indeed the new policy. She then told me that I was the first person to call and express concern about it!!! Really? So I suggest that everyone who is concerned does call and voice their opinion. Flood their lines and email.

My point is that it is wrong in my eyes to implement these types of changes without honoring the commitments that was in place at the time of a person buying the services.

That would be impossible. At any given moment in time there are thousands of people who have NCL cruises booked. NCL can't simply wait until no one is booked in order to make changes, because that would never happen. There is no way to "grandfather" this one in. If someone is stopped bringing food away from a restaurant, are they supposed to provide verification of when they booked? If they booked in Dec. 2014 they can take that plate of food, but if they booked in May, 2015 they have to take it back? That's ludicrous. I get what you are saying, but it either implies that NCL can NEVER change anything, or it is expecting them to somehow enforce this differently for different passengers, which would be equally impossible.

To answer the original question, no, food is not a deal breaker for me. There have been lots and lots of changes recently, and so far none have any effect on me whatsoever. However, since more and more keeps changing, I figure it's only a matter of time before one happens that really will bother me. It's probably coming soon.

I just called NCL and said that I wished to confirm, before booking my flight, that no food could be taken from the buffet to the cabin. I was told after being put on hold for 10 minutes that this is indeed the new policy. She then told me that I was the first person to call and express concern about it!!! Really? So I suggest that everyone who is concerned does call and voice their opinion. Flood their lines and email.

I don't know how many times I have to repeat this: they normally don't engage people in the forums or social media. Much less when there are threats of cancelling, which, as I have explained, are well known in the industry for being largely empty. Same with email or phone calls. Everyone in the Internet pretends to think the ruckus and pitchforks will somehow change a thing. It simply doesn't. If you truly want to have an impact the very least you can do is get on the phone (as emails can be and are usually ignored). They can't ignore you on the phone and if you truly feel as outraged as you claim to be in this case, you get on the phone. But alas, it's easier to sit down and endlessly complain in an anonymous forum than it is to actually call and talk and cancel your trip and mention your reason for cancellation.

That would be impossible. At any given moment in time there are thousands of people who have NCL cruises booked. NCL can't simply wait until no one is booked in order to make changes, because that would never happen. There is no way to "grandfather" this one in. If someone is stopped bringing food away from a restaurant, are they supposed to provide verification of when they booked? If they booked in Dec. 2014 they can take that plate of food, but if they booked in May, 2015 they have to take it back? That's ludicrous. I get what you are saying, but it either implies that NCL can NEVER change anything, or it is expecting them to somehow enforce this differently for different passengers, which would be equally impossible.

What they could (theoretically) do is hold off on making these kind of changes effective until a new round of itineraries are released. Failing that, they certainly could announce via press release and email to affected passengers that such changes are coming. But for something like this, you're right, there's no way to grandfather.

Food in and of itself is not the deal breaker.

The deal breaker is NCL treating people like children being punished for misbehaving.

NCL has changed from viewing us as welcomed guests, to having a hostile view of us as walking wallet protectors. That is the impression and opinion I have formed having read about all of the recent changes. This is not good hospitality service.

Best-

Steve

Were they just taking it to the pool deck?

When I spoke with Guest Services yesterday, I was told they had not formalized the policy with regard to the buffet, while someone else got an email & call that said buffet food could only be taken to the pool deck, while someone else called and was told that only hot food could not be taken out from the buffet and Cruise Critic was told no food can be taken out of restaurants or buffet. So who knows.

No, they obviously were taking it away from the pool deck. The buffet on this ship (as usual) is aft and I saw these folks in the forward elevators and on the forward stairs on 14. Pool is level 15 or 16. Everyone I saw carrying food was headed downstairs via elevator or stairs.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

No, they obviously were taking it away from the pool deck. The buffet on this ship (as usual) is aft and I saw these folks in the forward elevators and on the forward stairs on 14. Pool is level 15 or 16. Everyone I saw carrying food was headed downstairs via elevator or stairs.
Thanks.

Agree, I normally get up early to work out at the gylm, then go by the buffet, pick up coffee and yogurt for DW. She is not a huge breakfast person. With this rule, she will probably just skip breakfast. No good.

It may not be a deal breaker, but it WILL influence us in deciding on NCL, Celebrity or another cruise line.

I saw plenty of people walking around with coffee and yogurt that they obviously brought from the buffet this morning. I don't think this is going to be a problem for you and your wife at all.

I think the most productive thing people who are against new policies can do is go to the meet and greet, or even more important, the public Q+A session with the captain/hotel director, and tell them you don't like the new policies. And explain why. Not in a negative way, but specific examples - "I really used to enjoy going for an early morning walk and taking back breakfast to my wife in bed/on the balcony and I have to say this new policy really took something very special about our cruises away from us."

It puts them on the spot, and they have more pull with NCL than individual calls do.

I think the most productive thing people who are against new policies can do is go to the meet and greet, or even more important, the public Q+A session with the captain/hotel director, and tell them you don't like the new policies. And explain why. Not in a negative way, but specific examples - "I really used to enjoy going for an early morning walk and taking back breakfast to my wife in bed/on the balcony and I have to say this new policy really took something very special about our cruises away from us."

It puts them on the spot, and they have more pull with NCL than individual calls do.

Please don't do it at a meet and greet. By, as you say, putting them on the spot, could cause NCL in the end to stop supporting the meet and greets, if they think that we will be putting their officers on the spot for everything we don't agree with. Let's keep the meet and greets as a positive and fun afffair, like they always have been.

That's a really good way to get M&Gs discontinued. The officers are under no obligation to attend these, and NCL is under no obligation to provide for them. The purpose of a meet & greet isn't to be a b*** session, and if people try to start turning them into that, don't be surprised if they go away.

I remember last year when NCL and Carnival restricted smoking off balconies these boards were swamped. Can't smoke on the balcony? The outrage! No more cruising! I wondered then, is cruising not more than that?

And now, it's food. You are ALL entitled to your opinions, your choices and your frustrations. But now it seems to me I see those same parallells as before.

From the sound of it we need to be constantly eating while on a cruise ship. Everywhere. In restaurants, while lounging, in our cabins. Really? Without a dining table I find eating in a cabin kind of unappealing. I cruised with my sister in November and I joked on an earlier thread how she brought her take home desserts back to our fridge where they accumulated. I kept my mouth shut so we wouldn't argue. Likewise she wanted to carry our buffet breakfast back to our balcony. We did it once. Again, I did it to make her happy. Juggling my plate on my lap was not my idea of fun. Neither was carrying back food, juice and coffee. I wonder how many people spill? I did not want to leave messy plates in our cabin or in the hallway so back I went to the buffet. So, it seemed a lot off fuss for that "feeling". I just don't get it.

My mom was sick on the Jewel on our TA so she had sandwiches via room service, but other than that we went to the restaurant except when in a suite. And in my experience the delivery and pick up of dishes and having a dining table make that possible. I would not want to sit on my bed and eat dinner. I guess since I do not do that at home I can't imagine doing it on a ship.

Am I the only one who does not get it? Are the new "rules" about take out and room service really deal breakers for so many? Enough to drive you to another line or away from cruising if other lines follow? Or is this the new topic that will eventually go away?

Or is this just the straw that broke the camel's back... On the heels of so many changes? And have everyone rattled asking "what's next?"

They really step on my toes this time! :mad: :mad:

Why pay for a balcony when you CANNOT bring food back to enjoy! :mad:

Please Don't - That's like putting workers / employees on the spot for the corporate office failings (Good examples - Walmart & McDonald's). I can see NCL banning the meet & greets if their officers report back that CC members asked those type questions...I can also see the officers getting hostile and/or disinterested while that's being asked as well.

I'm currently on Getaway and I asked my waitress last night what they would do if I had a toddler with me who was having a meltdown and needed to leave the restaurant so our toddler could go to bed. She told me that has happened before and that they would pack up the rest of our meals and send them to our room through room service complimentary. I think, if I had a child having a meltdown, leaving the restaurant as swiftly as possible would be exactly what I would want to do. Last night, we did leave the restaurant with our dessert uneaten for unforeseen reasons and it was delivered to our cabin by room service in under 5 minutes, along with the proper cutlery at no extra charge. To me, this is actually better service than the old "take out" type policy since we didn't have to schlep anything through the ship to our cabin and the service was performed swiftly.

Thanks for the update, I hope that policy holds true for parents across the fleet. Enjoy your cruise

Please don't do it at a meet and greet. By, as you say, putting them on the spot, could cause NCL in the end to stop supporting the meet and greets, if they think that we will be putting their officers on the spot for everything we don't agree with. Let's keep the meet and greets as a positive and fun afffair, like they always have been.

That's a really good way to get M&Gs discontinued. The officers are under no obligation to attend these, and NCL is under no obligation to provide for them. The purpose of a meet & greet isn't to be a b*** session, and if people try to start turning them into that, don't be surprised if they go away.

I agree, the meet and greet is not the venue for bringing this up.

Am I the only one who does not get it? Are the new "rules" about take out and room service really deal breakers for so many? Enough to drive you to another line or away from cruising if other lines follow? Or is this the new topic that will eventually go away?

Or is this just the straw that broke the camel's back... On the heels of so many changes? And have everyone rattled asking "what's next?"

Not a dealbreaker whatsoever. There is so much food available 24/7, and I don't have to shop for it, cook it, serve it, do dishes or clean up after it. Can't eat in my stateroom? No big deal. Will keep the room cleaner in the long run too.

They really step on my toes this time! :mad: :mad:

Why pay for a balcony when you CANNOT bring food back to enjoy! :mad:

Seriously, you can still walk out onto a balcony and enjoy the view, breeze, sound of the ocean, etc. without food in your hand. It really is possible. I do it all the time.

Answering the original question - Yes food is a deal breaker . I can think of no other single element of a cruise that is as important . Enjoying a late afternoon snack (picked up from the buffet) on my balcony with the love of my life is always the best part of any cruise . Bringing back a coffee and muffin in the morning is also a fond cruising tradition .

By putting in these dining annoyances/restrictions , NCL ensures that I don't have to be like many here , unable to cancel an upcoming cruise . I just won't book in the first place . Who knows what other little surprises are awaiting you guys . :confused:

Reason for this policy as I thought money.

Mixed result for NCL

TradeWinds (subscription)-May 7, 2015

NCL posted a loss of $21.4m compared to a $51.7m profit in the same stretch of 2014 due to integration-related costs.

Any one and I mean anyone who thinks this is anything other then money no longer has nothing on their side to defend this with....facts are there...they lost money this first quarter.....

Very easy to apply....no one can take food back to their rooms....people who booked before the room service fee gets this free....

NCL real could care less about the food going to rooms, their issue is that they want you to pay to do so!

Edited by canadianeh934