Chankanaab - not accepting US cash

sortsa

booked the dolphin excursion and noticed on my conformation the following statement:

Bring towels and cash (for the moment we are not receiving dollars, just mexican pesos) for taxis, shopping, snacks and beverages, etc.

I did the online chat with a rep to confirm and she said they recommend pesos. This is also true for the taxi. I don't mind using c/c for the photographs but getting pesos for a cab ride seems like a hassle. Can anyone confirm this or give any insight or advice? Thanks in advance.

Was this message sent on April 1st? :confused:

I've been to Coz many times and have NEVER had to change dollars into Pesos - everyone (especially the cab drivers) takes the US dollar - just be sure to bring lots of smaller denomination bills ($1s and $5s) because change is sometimes an issue.

I have been in the past too. I copy and pasted the statement direct from the dolphin discovery email confirmation, and like said did a live chat session with a representative.

If you're concerned, suggest you just get the Mexican pesos you need for Chank at your ship's guest services counter. Better exchange rate and you can do it before arrival to save time. Taxis will take US $. But bring small bills ($5s and $1s).

If you're concerned, suggest you just get the Mexican pesos you need for Chank at your ship's guest services counter. Better exchange rate and you can do it before arrival to save time. Taxis will take US $. But bring small bills ($5s and $1s).

Phew! Thanks for the advice! :)

Omg, thank you for alerting us to this! Please let us know if you find any more out, especially if even the taxis aren't accepting dollars. I wonder why???

I got on the port website and it doesn't mention the taxis only accepting pesos.

Don't forget that Chank is a Mexican National Park, not a private enterprise. Could well be a bit of politicking going on here or a bit of national pride. Exchange rate is around 15 pesos per US now versus the 10 merchants calculate and the 13 that was so stable for several years.

Good point crew. What I found odd was the live chat rep said they "recommend" pesos. I find it hard to believe they would turn away US dollars if it came down to it.

We were just at Chankanaab last week on The Dream. We paid cash for the taxi, for entrance to the park and for drinks at Chankanaab. I tried to trade cash for pesos and everyone I asked would not trade. Wasn't sure why.

I live here in Coz, the taxis do take US dollars but like others have posted have smaller denominations. If you have access get pesos though, I personally use the ATMs in Mega or Chedraui in addition to bank ATMs, please do not use free standing ones on the street.

I believe that we have had over 20 stops in Mexican ports and had only one place that would not take US dollars. It was a little cubby hole in a Progreso market that sold women's clothing. Been to Coz 12 times and never had an issue.

Is that a standard practice? I never thought about exchanging currencies at Guest Services before.

FYI - It's true in a lot of the well established businesses, that they will no longer accept US$ for payment.

Just returned from a land stay in Riv Maya and the Resort even required us to pay any incidentals at the end in Pesos or CC. No US$. They have recently installed an exchange booth onsite because of this new regulation.

Taxis, and small businesses will still take US$ in small denominations, but many of the larger restaurants, stores and resorts would not accept it. I don't know what the new political regulations are, but they definitely were making an impact on travelers last week. One couple wanted to pay to check out early in the morning, but could not because they didn't have pesos and the exchange booth was not open yet. They were forced to use their CC (which I have not problem doing, but they did).

We were told by the bellmen that we needed pesos for the taxi, so we exchanged and got some extra in town. We were also told by the tour companies in the lobby that they can no longer accept US$ for payment, only pesos or CC.

• 2 weeks later...

I should have come back sooner and posted an update. I was here the 12th and they do in fact accept US currency. I paid for snorkel equipment, pictures they took while snorkeling, drinks at the beach area all with US currency. In fact their menu listed prices in pesos and US. I also paid for the taxi in US.

I have seen this posted more than once… As a matter of fact, we were considering using an outside Coz tour vendor, and she recommended no USD on Chank at all- for dolphin photos, rentals, food, anything. She said its new but should be in full effect by the time we are there. (Early July)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to say it but, if they dont want the US dollar, then dont go.

If business bottoms out for them, maybe they will change their policy.

Note:

We have gone there twice in our 5 times to Cozumel. And overall had a great experience both times.

The second time the experience really changed.

We were no longer permitted to use our water camera, like the first time, and the price of their pictures were very high.

Later

I don't think it's only Dolphin Discovery not taking USD... I think it's all of Chank.

Again, this is a very new policy, according to the company I've been working with based out of Coz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Cruznjuly

• 2 weeks later...

We were there two weeks ago and they accepted USD with no issues. I took everyone's advice and brought small bills. I also used the coupon from their website and made sure to show my ID and they accepted it. We also bought drinks with USD with no problems.

We had a great time and I will definitely return!

I emailed the park and they said they do still accept dollars and so do the local cabs. Someone was misinformed. I think this issue is closed. Take your dollars, they will be eager to accept them.