Quality of Celebrity gone down?

shamda

We are thinking of going on the Millennium for the eastern caribbean trip thanksgiving week. I have read some reviews that the quality of Celebrity has gone down, just as Royal has. We just got off the Voyager for the 5 day Canada Cruise and it was horrible. We sailed on the Century in 1998 and loved it. Can we expect the same food and service as we did on the Century or expect a major decline like we just experienced on the Voyager?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;16;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Voyager to Canada

I just sailed the Century and was very pleased with the overall experience aboard! I wouldn't worry a bit! icon_biggrin.gif

Celebrity Century 5/8/04 -Western Caribbean

Carnival Ecstasy 2/04 - Baja

Tahitian Princess 2/03- French Polynesia

Sea Princess 7/02 - Alaska

Carnival Ecstasy 5/02 - Baja

Royal Caribbean Monarch 10/00 - Southern Caribbean

Carnival Elation 10/99 - Mexican Riviera

Royal Caribbean Monarch 1/97 - Southern Caribbean

<a href="mailto:PrincessOfQAL1@aol.com"> Click here to email me

<a href="http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/princessofqal1">Celebrity Century pics

Here's another vote for the Century. I've been on her twice with another cruise scheduled and I had wonderful experiences both times.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess - 3/05

Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Well, service and food varies from ship to ship, but in general I can't really say anything bad about Celebrity. We've had a good experience on every Celeberity ship.

Stephanie

1986 Southward, NCL;1987 Holiday, Carnival;1988 Seaward, NCL; 1989 SS Norway, NCL;1990 Starward, NCL;1991 Skyward, NCL;1993 & 1994 Viking Serande, RCL; 1996 & 1997 Westerdam, HAL;1998 Noordam, HAL;1999 Veendam, HAL; 2000 Galaxy, Celebrity; 2001 Ryndam, HAL; 2001 Horizon, Celebrity;2002 Zaandam, HAL;2002 Horizon, Celebrity;2003 Constellation, Celebrity;2004 Mercury, Celebrity

Check out the fun thread, Tell me more about Century! You will see how well she is loved!

My first cruise with Celebrity was on Zenith over 10 years ago. I have since cruised once with Princess, once with NCL, and once with Carnival, in addition to being on Mercury and Infinity.

I don't feel that there has been much of a change in Celebrity's service or food quality over the past 10 years. We are not nit pickers that look for the negatives in each cruise, but instead focus on all the wonderful positive things that happen on each cruise.

I know that sometimes circumstances create bad cruises, and we've certainly had that experience before, but I also know that you can read 2 reviews of the same cruise by 2 different people and read about 2 totally different experiences.

Take everything you hear and read (good and bad) with a grain of salt and go have your own wonderful cruise experience. Choose a positive attitude and you'll have a great time!

Hilary

AMEN!

Interesting - We've sailed Royal Caribbean on the Nordic Empress - we found the food and service horrible, this is about 3 years ago. We balked at booking the Constellation for Christmas because of the fact that Royal Caribbean is the same company as Celebrity, but, the itinerary on the Connie fit everyone's schedule so we took it. Can someone reassure me that the quality of food on Celebrity is better than Royal Caribbean? I'm not trying to start a food war or a cruise line war - just seeking honest opinions - which of course are subject...will take your answers with a grain of salt icon_wink.gif Thanks!

Joe

1. I think Celebrity's overall product has substantially improved in the last couple of years 2. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are not the same company; the are each part of the same company, just as Jeep and Mercedes are part of the same company.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe_Antonelli:

Interesting - We've sailed Royal Caribbean on the Nordic Empress - we found the food and service horrible, this is about 3 years ago. We balked at booking the Constellation for Christmas because of the fact that Royal Caribbean is the same company as Celebrity, but, the itinerary on the Connie fit everyone's schedule so we took it. Can someone reassure me that the quality of food on Celebrity is better than Royal Caribbean? I'm not trying to start a food war or a cruise line war - just seeking honest opinions - which of course are subject...will take your answers with a grain of salt icon_wink.gif Thanks!

Joe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can help you... I sailed Century last July and Splendour of the Seas a week ago. These two ships are similar in size and some things I liked better on Splendour (24 hours solarium pool, beautiful glass elevators etc) but not the food...

Celebrity has much better food: beter and more choices, better presentation, better quality, better service in the dining room.

We had a very nice and energetic waitress but she had 4 tables to serve (on Century it was 2)and her assistant was not very good.(She had to teach him everything)

Another strange thing I noticed was that almost all waiters including head waiter and M'D on Splendour were women and on Centrury men. (I can't say if this was a bad or good thing though)

Grand buffets (except for decorations) can't be even compared!

Lunch and breakfest in Windjammer were so so too, I thought Century had advantage too. (although I wasn't very excited about them too).

Hamburgers were clearly better on Century.

------------------------------

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Splendour of the Seas 05/15/04 Barcelona - Marseilles - Villefranche - Livorno - Chivitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona

<LI>Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow

<LI>Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

I am very pleased with X Have sailed on Century, Mercury twice, Millennium twice, and will be on Connie in October.

I have been on several other ships and prefer celebrity over all. Have always gotten good service, good food, and we do not stay in a suite. Their entertainment has jumped up quite a few notches over all and it is great.

Hilaryicon_smile.gif enjoyed reading your reply...you sound like you go cruising with same attitude as I do icon_wink.gif.

There may be things here or there that aren't perfect...hmmmm..yes I can think of a few...but overall, I just ALWAYS have a wonderful week icon_biggrin.gif.

Would love to meet you on a ship one day!!

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

You said your Voyger experience was horrible, what was wrong with it?? We have sailed RCCL twice in the past year and also Celebrity once. Found the food and service varies from ship to ship.however overall the food is the best on Celebrity. WE have book the Millennium for Europe, the Navigator for tship for Northern Europe next summer.

norm

You have not sailed Celebrity in 6 years. By the time you may sail Celebrity it may be 7 years.

Yes.....the quality is not the same...and neither are the prices.

Ok, another question... I keep reading that food and service on X-class ships are better than on M-class.

I am in process of booking our next cruise. I think

1) RCL(Voyager class) would be better for our son;

2) I sailed on Century with my son last year and wanted to try M-class;

3) We had a great cruise on Splendour with my husband except food, I want my DH to experience

Celeb. food and service.

So...if food and service on M-Class is worse than on Century now and closer to RCL maybe it makes sense to book Voyager class so at least I'll surprise kid with their entertaiment and activities?

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Splendour of the Seas 05/15/04 Barcelona - Marseilles - Villefranche - Livorno - Chivitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona

<LI>Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL

GO BRUINS!!!!

I have found no difference in the quality on the different classes of Celebrity ships.

In fact, the only 2 times I have ever given a waiter a lower score than excellent was on the Century this year and another of the other Century class ships. Can I then say the Century class ships gave me poorer service? No - I just happened to get bad waiters. Others on the ship may have received excellent service.

The food quality as a whole has gone down from when we first sailed Celebrity starting in 92 - the little touches are gone such as scallion tied beans, potato baskets, and other fancy touches. I found that the food was just as good on the Century this year as the Millenium last year and the Horizon the year before.

As far as the quality of food going down, I think that is common on all lines - part of cost cutting measures.

You will have good days or trips and bad days or trips. I have never found a cruise that was exactly like another. Each one has had a few bad things (some more than others) and a lot of good things. In all, the good experiences outweigh the bad.

You really can't judge the food by one bad experience. After all, when you cook the same thing a second time at home following the recipe to the letter, it never turns out exactly like the first time. It's the same on a ship.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

I have to agree, I have never noticed a difference in the food between the Millie class and the older ships. It's all good, just remember that peoples cruise experience varies. Two passengers can be on the same ship and have a different experience. Any situation is what you make of it. Sure you can nit pick and find things wrong with any cruise line. I have always found the food to be good, and the service to be good with a few exceptions. The key is to speak up when you feel the service you are receiving is less than what you think you deserve. Celebrity is very responsive. All in all I've found their ships to be consistent.

Stephanie

1986 Southward, NCL;1987 Holiday, Carnival;1988 Seaward, NCL; 1989 SS Norway, NCL;1990 Starward, NCL;1991 Skyward, NCL;1993 & 1994 Viking Serande, RCL; 1996 & 1997 Westerdam, HAL;1998 Noordam, HAL;1999 Veendam, HAL; 2000 Galaxy, Celebrity; 2001 Ryndam, HAL; 2001 Horizon, Celebrity;2002 Zaandam, HAL;2002 Horizon, Celebrity;2003 Constellation, Celebrity;2004 Mercury, Celebrity

icon_cool.gifJust to put in my 2cents last year we sailed on the Century it was so great we are doing it in july it doesn't get any better !!! icon_wink.gif

Jim

SEA BREEZE 98

OCEAN BREEZE 99

MAJESTY 2000

SENSATION 2001

CENTURY JULY 2003

CENTURY JULY 10 2004

I was on the Summit in January and thought that the food was fine. In fact the dining room food was so good we don't see any need to book the specialty restaurant next January on the Connie. I've never sailed with Royal Caribbean but my son was on Voyager of the Seas three years ago and was unhappy with the food. He and his girlfriend are vegfetarians and were unhappy with the choices on that trip. They have sailed twice on Celebrity ships since then and thought the food was great. They are in teir early twenties but liked the understated elegance of Celebrity ships much better than the glitzy Voyager.

Incidentally I believe that Splendor of the Seas is the same hull as the M class Celebrity ships- not the Centurt ships which are smaller. Century is a grat ship but she doesn't have an indoor pool-except for the thalassotherapy pool which is wonderful but costs extra. It's worth the fee though on a rainy or chilly day.

I have only had one cruise experience that was a disappointment...that was on HAL and it was a understaffed, poor food experience.

All my Celebrity experiences to date have ranged from very good to exceptional. I have really not noticed any decline in the level of quality to date.

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

**email mrtnb(at)efni(dot)com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by barbels:

I was on the Summit in January and thought that the food was fine. In fact the dining room food was so good we don't see any need to book the specialty restaurant next January on the Connie. I've never sailed with Royal Caribbean but my son was on Voyager of the Seas three years ago and was unhappy with the food. He and his girlfriend are vegfetarians and were unhappy with the choices on that trip. They have sailed twice on Celebrity ships since then and thought the food was great. They are in teir early twenties but liked the understated elegance of Celebrity ships much better than the glitzy Voyager.

Incidentally I believe that Splendor of the Seas is the same hull as the M class Celebrity ships- not the Centurt ships which are smaller. Century is a grat ship but she doesn't have an indoor pool-except for the thalassotherapy pool which is wonderful but costs extra. It's worth the fee though on a rainy or chilly day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been on both and Splendor 69,000 tons to Century's 70,000 so they are in the same class. ( Vision = C)

M class of Celebrity corresponds to Radiance class of RCCL ( Jewell, Radiance, Serenade and Brilliance)

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

GO BRUINS!!!!

Yes, I think the quality has definitely gone down, down, down. But the good news is I hear that Carnival quality is on the upswing and has been enjoyed by 11 out of 10 people sailing with them. Besides April is Carnival month so jump right on one of thier deals. How about that non-smoker? I hear they can't find enough days in the week to sail that ship. So go on over. Unfortunately I own stock in RCL so I'll have to stick it out on X just to look out for my investment. You understand, I'm sure.

Until the Zenith! Second X Cruise In Two Months!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Probably shouldn't be stating this on a Celebrity board, but, I have to stick up for Carnival. I haven't experienced anything bad or horrible on Carnvial Cruise Lines. Yes, the quality of Carnival has been on the rise, and, it's been great to see and experience first hand. I will be sailing Celebrity for the first time in December but, it seems to me comparing Carnival to Celebrity is kind of an apples and oranges comparison. Both, I am sure, have strong and weak points. You just have to understand the "personality" of the cruise line and put yourself in that mind-set to have the best possible cruising experience.

Hope I haven't offended anyone.

Joe

Archived