Deck Chair Warnings Poolside

MGK

How about printing off our own cards to lay on the chair. I always get steamed when I see chair hogging occurring but usually do not think to note the time I first notice it...then afterward not entirely sure how long it has been vacant. By leaving a card everyone will know and feel confident that the 30 min. had well expired. When the owners come by you just had them the note:)

Initial Time noted as _________.

Please be advised that pool chairs remaining vacant for over 30 min. will have items removed and placed on top of the nearest garbage container.

Items removed time noted as _____________.

Cheerfully yours

the Chair Hog Police

The only real guest-guest real argument I have ever experienced was between two couples on a RC cruise. Noting beds had been 'saved' but not used a couple moved items from two sun beds to nearby chairs. After about 40 mins the first couple returned. Loud conversation followed then one of the women gave the other male a mouthful at which point he threw her bag in the pool.....unfortunately it wasn't hers it was that of another guest who was trying to ignore all around her and read her kindle. Not pleasant.

Perhaps a few friendly reminders not to hog chairs would work.....perhaps not. Such a shame, as others have said there is plenty of seating as long as you only claim it when you are going to use it!

Well on the Eclipse for the past two novembers there have been no tickets or notes left on seats. I was really annoyed one day as all the beds where full...not all people but some with items like you have mentioned...books,,towels.. After seeing bed after bed taken we saw an older couple sitting on beds by the railing talking to another couple...opposite a row of beds with two beds with a bag and towel on...I asked the people next to them if there was someone sitting there andthey all said yes that couple over there ..they had two beds in the sun and two beds in the shade.! Well mu bloodpressure went sky high and I went over and asked them to remove there things.to which I got a no we are sitting there. Well about 8 people sitting near by all said they hadnt sat there all morning.! I was livid and went of to sea the pool staff to complain. Which was useless as he couldnt understand me and said he would get someone.! When I went back upstairs this couple had sat in the chairs and my husband pulled me up the deck..saying they are old and to leave it...!! I was furious with him as they was about our age.!!

Saw the couple a few days later and she made a point of saying thats the women from the other day.... and gave me such a look.! Grrrrrrrrrr.!! Nothing rubs me up like this usually but it is just so damn annoying and selfish !!

I wonder how many first-timers get put off cruising, either for life or on that particular cruise line, because they were never able to get a chair in a spot that suited them. Most cruise ships have plenty of chairs on upper decks in full sun and away from the pools, but poolside or shaded spots are harder to find, and not everyone wants to sit in full sun.

It is an issue that should be addressed by the cruise line staff, and possibly also by the cruise lines providing more shady spots.

Hi, I guess I should be grateful, because I've literally never had to search for more than a minute or two for a chair. Probably has to do with when/where I sail. :)

As for the screaming I was referring to, well :rolleyes:

I just read a recent review for the Celebrity Summit. The writer mentions that the Pool Butler staff are now placing "warning" cards on unattended chairs after 30 minutes unattended. Apparently the warning cards say that the belongings will be removed to allow other guests to use said chair(s).

Has anyone else seen this new procedure in action? If this is true, I would say bravo finally. I am cruising in August, and last year I just ran out of patience with this issue. Sorry to beat a dead horse as they say, but this is my biggest complaint. :mad:

They had them on the Reflection last month. They were partially helpful. All chairs on the pool level in the sun had towels/books/etc. before 7:30am with maybe 2 people actually sitting there. Cards would go out around 8:30-9am (when most chairs were STILL unoccupied). Maybe closer to 9:30-10, the Pool Butlers would start removing things to free up the chairs that were still not occupied.

On sea days, I never got a seat by the pool, but always found one in the sun on the deck above. Stayed on board during port days, and was always right by the pool.

How on earth would they know whether items left behind on a chair belonged to a suite guest or not?

Books left behind will be one of the Greek classics or 19th century literature. Suntan lotion will be expensive branded stuff, not the cheapo lotion from Superdrug at £3 a gallon. Towels will have been carefully folded into the shape of a swan, a penguin or some exotic animal. The butler will be guarding the lounger anyway and will be there to reposition it as the sun moves.

It tickles me that anyone could think suite guests would be identifiable on the sun deck.

Books left behind will be one of the Greek classics or 19th century literature. Suntan lotion will be expensive branded stuff, not the cheapo lotion from Superdrug at £3 a gallon. Towels will have been carefully folded into the shape of a swan, a penguin or some exotic animal. The butler will be guarding the lounger anyway and will be there to reposition it as the sun moves.

It tickles me that anyone could think suite guests would be identifiable on the sun deck.

There definitely should be a 'Like Button' for posts like these.

Anyway this will all be irrelevant once the 'Luminae- Alfresco' (LAF) is implemented. There will be sufficient loungers for all the suite guests as well as Dining tables and seats. The idea of taking the port side of Deck 14 seems OK , but the automatic rain detecting awnings are a tad ambitious. Bet the next thing will be Mast Grill disappearing to reduce the odour of Burgers wafting into LAF.

You have to have a LAF:eek:

To be sure, my personal Butler (who always travels with us) is required to sit in the chairs until we return from our shore trips. That way there is never a question as to the chairs being occupied... LOL... (just had to write this..) :D

Like :p

Originally Posted by WestLakeGirl View Post

They have been placing those cards on loungers for over a year.

Chair hogs are, for the most part, illiterate

No I am not :mad:

I am illegitimate:eek:

or am I just stupid :eek:

Edited by gcgold

We were just on the Summit for the repositioning cruise and were delighted to see these cards laid out on chairs!!! The pool butlers were busy all the time straightening up, putting up towels and leaving these cards. It was great. I think just having the visible 'butlers' (their shirts say pool butler largely across their back) is a great deterrent! We were very happy with the Summit!

I was on that cruise too, I guess I just didn't see any or maybe they didn't do it in the solarium. Good news, thanks for posting:)

We just returned from our cruise on the Summit yesterday. Did not see any cards left in the Solarium on the many reserved lounge chairs and beds that were held and left empty for more than an hour. Also in Solarium near the AquaSpa Café there were 3 wooden tables with 2 chairs each and watched one woman take a table for herself and then pull over one chair from each of the other two tables. She sat at this table for 4 (leaving the other tables with just 1 chair each) for at least an hour and a half and as people kept asking for a chair, she told them family members were coming. Finally a passenger walked over and told her this was just wrong as people were standing with plates of food and no place to sit. That started a short, but pretty loud confrontation!

Other women held two of the beds every day; the one said she put their belongings on there at 5:30 a.m. They'd be gone for hours at a time, but they were vocally critical of chair hogs. Really?

Wouldn't ruin my vacation but it is annoying. Oh, and to the one poster who wants to be sure the Suite guests aren't given extra consideration ... we were in a suite and we never left our lounge chairs other than to go into the pool. When we did leave, I always made sure to take our towels and any cups or glasses so people knew the chairs were available. I certainly enjoyed the perks we had received paying for a suite, but don't feel we should ever be inconsiderate of other passengers. Hope they start leaving the cards. Loved our trip.

Same here, :) I'm amazed at the obsession that some seem to have over the suite guest's privileges, real or perceived. :)

And then there are related chair tales. DW and I are confirmed "chair hogs" and will often be in a deck chair from around 9 until 6 on a nice sea day. That being said, we only leave our chairs to use the rest rooms or to grab some lunch (which we usually eat at our chairs). On the Oosterdam last year we had some excellent located chairs near the pool and I recall there were plenty of empty chairs (although not in the best locations for those that wanted to be near the pool). Early in the afternoon a lady came up to DW and I and strongly suggested we leave our loungers so that she could have them. The lady said she noticed we had been sitting there for a long time and it was now her turn! I did not ask, but would be willing to bet a happy hour cocktail that she was in a suite and felt entitled!

Hank

P.S. Please note this did happen on a HAL cruise! We are sure that the wonderful passengers of X would never do this.

Edited by Hlitner

And then there are related chair tales. DW and I are confirmed "chair hogs" and will often be in a deck chair from around 9 until 6 on a nice sea day. That being said, we only leave our chairs to use the rest rooms or to grab some lunch (which we usually eat at our chairs).

I wouldn't consider this being a "chair hog." You are actually using the chairs all day. A true chair hog puts their stuff out (often very early in the morning) and then leaves for hours at a time, depriving everyone else of the use of what is really an empty chair. This doesn't just happen on Celebrity, though. I've been to plenty of land-based resorts and regular hotels where it's just as big of a problem. It's a universal issue that is indicative of a "me-first" attitude that tends to run rampant with people who think they're entitled to do whatever they want because they're on vacation (while ignoring the fact that everyone else is on vacation, too).

I just read a recent review for the Celebrity Summit. The writer mentions that the Pool Butler staff are now placing "warning" cards on unattended chairs after 30 minutes unattended. Apparently the warning cards say that the belongings will be removed to allow other guests to use said chair(s).

Has anyone else seen this new procedure in action? If this is true, I would say bravo finally. I am cruising in August, and last year I just ran out of patience with this issue. Sorry to beat a dead horse as they say, but this is my biggest complaint. :mad:

Gosh, I hope it is going to happen. I hate chair hogs!!!!

If I see no pax coming back to their "chair" after 45 min. I simply remove their stuff & that's it. If they come back(which surprisingly none seem to)I'll simply tell them to go find the pool butler, as that's who I hand the stuff off to.

If I see no pax coming back to their "chair" after 45 min. I simply remove their stuff & that's it. If they come back(which surprisingly none seem to)I'll simply tell them to go find the pool butler, as that's who I hand the stuff off to.

very brave - i am sure the poor pool butler enjoys the huge tip you no doubt push in his palm [emoji41][emoji636]

Edited by gcgold

very brave - i am sure the poor pool butler enjoys the huge tip you no doubt push in his palm [emoji41][emoji636]

I've found it takes the "blame" away from them. I have no issue whatsoever about getting confrontational with chair hogs. It's not really happened yet. I think they see me & feel it's best not to cause a scene. I got one guy(really his own fault)banned from Celebrity. He was abusing a staff member(the Captains Club advisor on the Eclipse 2014) I got involved, very nearly coming to blows. It's interesting what the staff member said..You'll see the uniformed security, but it's the non uniformed that you don't want to tussel with! The staff was delighted a pax would come to their aid. I told him I'm in the service industry as well & if we're on vacation, I have no issue defending them against unruly pax.