Mexico in October

jamesnnb

I believe Princess has ended their season in Mexico and it won't start up until October (with the Ruby). We read today that "Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Infinity have announced they will cancel stops in Puerto Vallarta out of safety concerns, saying that due to travel warnings issued by the US State Department on May 5 and warnings by the Canadian Government they have decided to skip scheduled stops to the city."

Our October Ruby cruise includes Puerto Vallarta (along with Cabo and Mazatlan -- the usual stops). I know this is just May and October is a longs ways away, but arrangements do have to be made (airlines, hotels, housesitters, pet arrangments, etc) and we wondered if anyone knew if PV was still a Hot Bed what that might substitute? Perhaps the same time but a Coastal Cruise instead? Or just the two ports? Or...? Just starting to wonder.

Are you seeing anything other than the following:

Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara, and the Riviera Nayarit

Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara are also safe, but travelers should avoid any cities that border the states of Michoacán or Zacateca, which are neighboring states of Jalisco — where Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara are located.

Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara just had several incidents last week. Including military helicopters being shot down. Not sure why some deem it as safe when most people living there did not leave their residences for several days (as suggested by local government officials).

Perhaps a Google search for current news regarding these two cities will bring you up to date as to what is going one.

Mexico is a country were certain areas are safe one day. .The next day just the opposite.The local big hotels with grounds in Puerto Vallarta are all gated with security.

I was there on Princess cruise 10 years ago and noticed two extremes in poverty and wealth .

It must be very difficult for cruise Companies to decide their Ports of Call in a country that can change from peace to volatile conditions at a moments notice.

Edited by kruisey

We cruise to Mexico often (and have stayed down there as well). Have never felt unsafe . However, we never leave tourist areas or go off on our own at night. Just cautious.And we use the same caution in Caribbean, Europe, or anywhere we travel(even U.S.).

Just spent 7 wonderful days during the later part of this April in Puerto Vallarta......walked from the resort to the malaecon one day and on another day we walked from the romantic zone to our resort. We also did a couple of exertions into the Sam Madre Mountains. At no time did we feel unsafe while we were there. Of course this is our own personal experience.

We cruise to Mexico often (and have stayed down there as well). Have never felt unsafe . However, we never leave tourist areas or go off on our own at night. Just cautious.And we use the same caution in Caribbean, Europe, or anywhere we travel(even U.S.).

Well said, Gloria. I do the same here in Southern California.

I have not heard about major issues in Puerto Vallarta. I sure hope ships continue to sail there. I have been keeping my eyes open for a good, last minute deal.

Feel its up to the individual to ask,read about, and make up their own minds whether they would feel safe or not there .Always taking heed of Government warnings:cool:

Edited by kruisey

Feel its up to the individual to ask,read about, and make up their own minds whether they would feel safe or not there .Always taking heed of Government warnings:cool:

Exactly. Do your own research to help you make a decision.

I think two aspects play into a role - whether its really safe or not and the public perception of safety.

If bookings take a dive because of issues like this, you can be the cruise line will send to different destinations.

I can imagine PCL making early moves to send the ship to more stops in Baja.

We are headed that way at the end of the year - I would imagine if its bad either a stop in Ensenada, or hopefully Loreto or LaPaz in lieu of PV. Although PV is my favorite mexican west coast port.

I (and several friends) are considering a Mexican Riviera trip in late Oct, and hope this "PV hysteria" dies down before then. If they had to do any port subbing, I'd much prefer a substitution port down near PV, or (in worse case) an overnight in Cabo as a last resort. Please don't substitute any of the dinky Baja ports (or, Ensenada), since these are no way on scale with a PV stop.

Well said. I will be in PV twice this year and I'm not worried about it.

I believe Princess has ended their season in Mexico and it won't start up until October (with the Ruby). We read today that "Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Infinity have announced they will cancel stops in Puerto Vallarta out of safety concerns, saying that due to travel warnings issued by the US State Department on May 5 and warnings by the Canadian Government they have decided to skip scheduled stops to the city."

Our October Ruby cruise includes Puerto Vallarta (along with Cabo and Mazatlan -- the usual stops). I know this is just May and October is a longs ways away, but arrangements do have to be made (airlines, hotels, housesitters, pet arrangments, etc) and we wondered if anyone knew if PV was still a Hot Bed what that might substitute? Perhaps the same time but a Coastal Cruise instead? Or just the two ports? Or...? Just starting to wonder.

It appears only to be in this May.

I was there 3 weeks ago and it was great. However the problem with the helicopter shooting happened after I left so it makes sense for the caution alert now. In a few weeks/months if there are no further activities, warnings will most likely be lifted

Just be cautious. Hopefully it will calm down by the time you visit PV. I was there in March aboard the Ruby and it's a BEAUTIFUL place, I fell in love with Puerto Vallarta. Just be cautious and if something doesn't feel right, head back to the ship! The cartel probably won't target PV since it's a tourist destination and they need that money from tourists into their economy.

While in PV the second week of April a tourist from Colorado was shot and killed in the Marina zone. They were taking money from and ATM and a recently escaped prisoner tried to rob them. Their college age son tried to fight him off and was shot and killed. We were told that the zipline tours were being cancelled because of some problems in the jungle as well.

Kris